"Love The Life You Live & Live The Life You Love" Papa Briggy
Re: Hail H.I.M.
May 19, 2006 09:35AM
Let me touch H.E.R. All over.
May 19, 2006 10:59AM
May 24, 2006 05:54PM
funny this should come up. i was just in life valley for a week and one of the cds i had on repeat in my mobile was Hail HIM. it struck me that THIS was what i got into reggae over, this style of music right here. theres no dancing going on here, no hippies twirling in the dirt, no bopping heads up and down and not understanding what is being said. this is serious sh*t about life and death. there are no metaphors here, it is straight out reality; this is about real life oppression and death and revenge, particularly cry blood africa but the thread runs through pretty much all the songs on this album (and most of spear's prior albums). some sample lyrics for those who can take them (may not be literally exact; im doing this from memory):

cry blood africa cry blood...

they killed my mother mother
they raped my sister sister
they chop off my father father head
and my brother him lose his leg

someone got to pay...

you raid them jah jah you raid them.

now those are some powerful lyrics. i could only wish spear still put them out like this instead of the "play jerry" stuff he does so much of these days. peace and love is fine but i got into reggae to learn about fighting oppression and what the oppressors do on a daily basis and we dont even hear about. i lived in a country where this sort of thing happened pretty frequently and most people were afraid to acknowledge it much less do anything about it for fear they would be next on the list.

anyone who doesnt know this "hail HIM" album needs to go find it immediately and soak it in. the vocals and harmonies are especially powerful particularly the powerfully droning, repetitive background vocals found on most tracks on the album. this is was and will be spears defining album if i have a vote on it. like i said, its too bad spear doesnt address such brutality so directly these days but i guess he figures people cant take it or they want lighter music. personally, thats why i dont buy his albums much anymore.

one love
jah bill
May 24, 2006 06:12PM
JUST READING THOSE LYRICS GIVE I AND I GOOSE BUMPS
May 24, 2006 06:19PM

They and them who take part in it, who cause I & I blood fe go run down a river Jordon, beware, this is a must.....someones got to pay.

Book Burning Spear for your corporate event: [www.grabow.biz]

....Someones got to pay (about 5 g's)

May 24, 2006 06:54PM
the world really is upside down, trinity.

one love
jah bill
May 24, 2006 07:09PM
great album. one of the first i listened to from Spear. set the bar high with that one. I don't think i have picked up any new spear albums in 10 -15 years or more. still feel the power live though.............
May 24, 2006 10:26PM
I agree with JB(!!!) and flip. Hail HIM is Spears greatest album and although his albums these days are quite shite, he is still the premier live reggae artist.

He should make a studio album with Dougie Concious, Steve Mosco or Ryan Moore or even Dub Creator... Now that would be something.

I like snow
May 25, 2006 04:54AM
May 25, 2006 05:01AM
Jah Bill,

And don't forget that: "Christopher Columbus is one damn blasted liar."

One love,
Jah Mike

Jah Jah power endureth for i-ver.
May 25, 2006 05:16AM
hail h.i.m. & empress menen

one love one peace
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login