Advanced

Tribute to Malcolm X

Posted by Daniel 
Tribute to Malcolm X
May 21, 2006 04:57PM
featured on this week's broadcast of The Uprising:

Re: Tribute to Malcolm X
May 21, 2006 05:04PM
the man who was killed for realizing that racism isnt such a good idea....Respect to Malcom X...a perfect example of a good reason not to join organized religion.
May 21, 2006 05:32PM
Back about 2 years before the well-known bio-pic starring Denzil Washington appeared, I put in the single most controversial window display in the history of my store.

I took a 6 foot poster of Malcolm at the podium, and placed all the available speeches of his there were at the time(and at the time, you could only get them on cassette!). Then I place a single sign that simply asked, 'WHO KILLED MALCOLM X??"

it was telling to see the reactions. St Louis has always had a strong Nation of Islam
presence, and I had several angry reactions from NOI people, as well as semi-hostile
queries from a few folk who wear their Afro-centrism on their sleeve, as I would say.
Whenever challenged as to 'what is the meaning of this??', I'd look them dead-pan
and say, 'Well, Who Killed Malcolm X?' They'd sputter and perhaps ask, 'What are you trying to say?!? What's your point??' And I'd just repeat the question: WHO KILLED MALCOLM X. Then I might smile and quote a line from Bob's 'Who The Cap Fit'....

Being someone who was profoundly touched by reading his autobiography at an early age in the 60s, it lead me to continue studying his life. Did you know that at one point in the 70s, the only organization that kept Malcolm's speeches in print was the Trotskyite Party? Of course the NOI, under the influence of
Minister Farrakan, tried to bury his memory---at least until that movie came out.
After that, you could go into their shop in St Louis and purchase posters and photos of him!

Malcolm was of course human and capable of error, but he was also a leader of great integrity that also had the ability to re-form his views of race and society.
His honesty and courage are a benchmark for all; yeah, call him a Role Model For
The Youth, with no apologies.
May 21, 2006 07:23PM
Yes I
Thank you Papa Ray for your post
Y R guiding lights taken so young
Leaving us turning in circles
Looking for the next turn
To Jah Jah light
Bless

May 21, 2006 09:34PM
Excellent show Daniel!
Highly recommended to all.
May 22, 2006 03:02AM
"the man who was killed for realizing that racism isnt such a good idea"

I disagree, he was killed for going against the NOI organization. He spoke against racism long before his trip to Mecca.

May 22, 2006 03:45AM
excellent point chimino.
Papa I too was moved by Malcom's Autobiography. Growing up in Suburban
Minnesota, we were taught to believe that Malcom was a "Hate Monger." It wasn't until the early 1990s that I actually read the book and learned that it was possible to educate yourself. Other people's opinions of my race did not define me.

respect
May 22, 2006 04:03AM
A teacher my freshmen year lent me a copy of Malcolm X's autobiography for some extra reading since we had to have a certain number of books read by the end of the semester. It's probably one of only maybe 2 good books I've read in in High School, or at least one of the only good books I read specifically because of school. Peace

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
May 22, 2006 04:46AM
Wasn't gonna respond, but you're right on point Chimino. Malcom was not the pro-black-turned-rainbow-one-love poster boy. Malcom was pro-black (thus race-conscious) until his passing.

Peace

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login