Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Will SNWMF '06 sell out???

Posted by mendolala 
Will SNWMF '06 sell out???
May 22, 2006 01:47PM
just wondering what anyone/everyone thought of the possibility of this festy selling out this year......??? Trying to decide whether to plan ahead....or not?
Re: Will SNWMF '06 sell out???
May 22, 2006 01:50PM
IMHO - the management and staff are much too conscientious to even consider selling out, although booking shaggy last year came close to a sell out.
May 22, 2006 03:02PM
From what I've been reading, I would say, "expect it!".

DUB IS TOO DREAD FOR WORDS.... binghi2digi
May 22, 2006 03:06PM
I'm not sure how booking a popular reggae artist even comes close to constituting "selling out".

Jah Jah power endureth for i-ver.
May 22, 2006 03:11PM
maybe he was being "sarcastic"

"sarcasm is the last resort of the sexually aroused" zoki
ODB
May 22, 2006 06:52PM
just got my tickets in the mail friday and they are only 1750 of 5000. not sure if that says anthing though.

Upgrade your grey matter, cuz one day it may matter!
May 22, 2006 06:57PM
The numbered tickets don't take into consideration the fact that a couple of thousand (unnumbered) tickets are usually sold through TicketMaster each year...
May 22, 2006 08:35PM
Well I have been holding off sending for tickets because I can't seem to find decent airfare to Sacramento, Oakland or San Francisco. Right now it would cost the same for me to fly to Ja as to California from Austin Texas. I sure hope I find a deal or I may be SOL. And then after I get the deal, I still have to send for a SNWMF ticket. yikes
May 22, 2006 08:46PM
FWIW, I putchased my ticket a couple of weeks ago from a local outlet here in Portland and its numbered 2730.

May 23, 2006 07:36AM
I purchased mine this past week. #3272. Dont know what that means, but those who dont have them, motivate.
May 23, 2006 10:45AM
sis irie--i sent you an email...

m.

May 23, 2006 02:44PM
sista irie~
south west air usually has reasonably priced airfair.
one love-juan love
May 23, 2006 05:42PM
sista irie, also check out flights to San Jose International. It may give you better options and it's not all that farther than SFO or Oakland.

Peace

May 23, 2006 05:43PM
>just add sly & robbie and there will be no contest dis summer!

-RASpects+
May 24, 2006 04:31AM
Thank you. I will check Southwest and flights to San Jose. Flights yesterday with some of the other airlines were over $500. Watch me get a flight and not a ticket.

just checked, flights on SW are also over $500 RT. I guess gas prices are running things up. I will keep checking tho every day. I sure don't want to miss SNWMF.

Post Edited (05-24-06 04:49)

"love shines brighter than the morning sun"
May 24, 2006 06:34AM
Sis. Do a search through cheaptickets.com. I just did and found a 335 ticket from AUS-San Jose leaving early friday and returning early monday (American Airlines). San Jose is about 40 minutes further away, but to save 150.00 (x2) seems like it would be worth it.
May 25, 2006 08:30PM
Has anyone here used cheaptickets and had a good experience? I remember reading some negative comments about them in the past. Have you used them, Daniel? If so, that would make me feel better.

I just looked. The $335 includes taxes. Not bad at all. If I get a good report from someone who has used cheaptickets, I will go ahead and book.

Post Edited (05-25-06 20:41)

May 25, 2006 09:22PM
sis Irie, try:
[www.kayak.com] for cheap tickets. Was told about that site just recently, found a nice price ticket to JA for my upcoming stay there, sure you can find something nice on there for tickets to SNWMF. peace

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
May 25, 2006 10:44PM
I've used them 3 times with absolutely no problem sis......
Airfare
May 26, 2006 07:58AM
Sis Irie, there's a travel agency in Granbury, TX 817-573-2991 that quoted me a rtrip about of $336 from Houston to Oakland-this was a little over a week ago. I've used them every time I've come out to the festival. If you're willing to connect through somewhere and flexible w' your trip schedule, I guarantee they can beat freakin' $500 bucks.

You had better go because when people remember or realize that I'm from Texas ,used to live in Austin, etc; always get the "oh so you know Sista Irie, right? where is Sis Irie man? you seen Sista Irie down inna austin ,she here yet? You from Austin, who the hell are you?-I know Sista Irie's from Texas-she comin' out?

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
May 26, 2006 03:00PM
ok..I deleted what I wrote before because I am finally booked! Thanks for all the tips, and Papeken, I know you were pulling my leg about people asking about me, but whatever, something got me to click the right booking button and now as long as the tickets don't sell out before my request comes in, all should be fine.

Papaken, did you say you are from Austin? very cool. I hope to meet up with you. The sad news from here is the legendary blues club owner, Clifford Antone, died in his sleep this week. He was 56 but a huge...massive...part of the Austin music scene. We are all devastated.

Post Edited (05-26-06 16:34)

May 26, 2006 10:06PM
SI,

Lived in Austin for 3 years 2001-2003. My two boys were born there. About a week after we moved there in 01, Micheal Johnson passed away. Loved the bees. Moved to Houston late 2003-am currently trying to move back to Austin-miss it too much. I was a regular listener to your Sunday afternoon show-nice vibe.

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
May 27, 2006 07:13AM
I hadn't thought about the Killer Bees in awhile. The passing of Michael E was reggae history here. Austin is growing so much although the music scene has now been complimented by a growing movie production scene as well. I also love the way diversity of culture and race blends in this city. I pray it always stays that way, if not rising to an even higher level of beauty. The old rock and roll downtown has been replaced by the sprouting of glitzy clubs, fancy restaurants and paid parking. That I could have done without. I really miss the old kick around digs like Liberty Lunch and legendary Antone's on Guadalupe. There was a time when I spent as much time listening to the old time bluesmen Clifford brought in as I did reggae at Liberty Lunch. Clifford sometimes paid those guys out of his own pocket just to get them to town. I read this week that he had recently paid for Pinetop Perkins to come to town, set him up in an assisted help apartment, and was helping to pay for his medical needs. Clifford was not wealthy by any means and put more money into the love of blues as he did his own pocket. Clifford had spent some years in prison for an old wrap that came to light later in life.

My first Sunsplash was travelling with the Killer Bees on their charter. These are all such fine memories. Austin, reggae, KAZI, Jamaica. It is so nice of you to bring these memories to surface this morning. Even nice that you enjoyed the Conscious Party. Being on KAZI is a true honor. I have learned so much about a community that I would not be a part of otherwise. Thank you for being part of that as well.

Please, if you are coming to SNWMF, let us make sure to meet up. IF you are not, we can make it happen in Austin when you have the time.

heartical love, sista irie and brother ricky
May 27, 2006 06:00PM
I lived in Dallas between 1977 - 1986. I remember the Killer Bees quite fondly. Also remember Austin quite fondly as I used to vist there frequently. Anybody remember another Austin reggae band called the Lotions?

One love,
Jah Mike

May 27, 2006 09:03PM
The Lotions were at the very tail end of their group when I first moved to Austin in 1984. Also, the band Pressure. The Lotions had a regular Tuesday night gig at the infamous Liberty Lunch. Some of the members of both bands still play in Austin in various reggae bands. Steve Carter a founding member of the Lotions now plays with the Mau Mau Chaplains. He has been recording a solo cd and from what I have heard of it while it is being mixed, it is wonderful. Interestingly enough, it is not straight reggae and incorporates everything from country to dub.

Post Edited (05-27-06 21:07)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login