Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

early festivals

Posted by mecca 
mecca
early festivals
June 28, 2004 10:33AM
Is there anyone on the message boards that remembers the first couple of SNWMF? Back in Marysville. Back when there was actually a river to cool off in. Back when they used to put a stage in the campground. And for that matter, does anyone remember the Gathering of the Vibes. Also another great show. This was my first year back to SNWMF since 95. Its been a long time. I went to the first 2 and I gotta say, Its changed ALOT. Good changes, but I do miss the body of water.
sisterlil
Re: early festivals
June 28, 2004 12:38PM
I have been to gathering of the vibes.. I was about 16 or 17 at the time. Loved them..We loved it at Marysville, because of the water, but we have made Angels camp our new home..
Zana
June 28, 2004 05:11PM
What ever happened to Gathering of the Vibes?
I was in high school and I remember seeing flyers for it.
June 28, 2004 06:37PM
that wasn't a river, it was a polluted nightmare, it was also a tent eater - i saw it eat at least two tents....I also was amazed to see people swimming in the water despite the warning do not swim signs..... life is full of signs (I choose not to see) and I saw one kid jump in from the bank and break his leg
if you'd seen the crossing of the delaware by the hooligans who stormed ashore to rape and pillage you'd think you were seeing a gangbanger d-day landing....

Hopefully Angels camp can get some more watering stations..... the ones by the cement leading over to the main stage were gone..... along with the bldg that sold the festival merch a year or two ago....i went looking for it and coundn't find....where did the bldg go......luckily some staff at the gate directed me to the place under the kitchen but when I got there on sunday....only "Wife Beaters" t shirts and sweats left.......is there a way to get a festival t after the fest????
jbwelda
June 28, 2004 07:19PM
the feather river in marysville is actually pretty darn clean. i swam in it a number of times and never even got an earache (something that happens to me pretty much anytime i swim in the american anywhere below folsom). that doesnt mean its "safe", its got current and snags and everything a wild river has. the problem isnt the river, its the people. i saw some df jump in and then thrash around to get back to shore. said he didnt know how to swim. i felt like kicking him in the head, maybe that would help his thinking processes. i guess he thought he was in disneyland or somewhere.

the biggest source of localized pollution in the feather was the fuel spilling from the watercraft running back and forth.

i went to a gathering of the vibes one time long ago. it may still be held somewhere but i dont know where.

one love
jah bill
June 28, 2004 07:31PM
Boy there is one thing I don't miss about Marysville......those jet boats racing up that small stripe of river backstage.....

had some great times sitting there on the bank watching foundation artists rehearse only to have some Budwieser fuelled Meathead in a Jetboat come scream by and ruin the vibes....

someone from the area tell me that most of the pollution was from agriculture...spray planes etc.....

one thing also:

Don't stay at the "fleabag" motel in Modesto called the Tradewinds, or was it the Driftwood Inn, or the Tumbleweed in...... our pillow was a sofa cushion covered in a pillow case, reminded me of Bob's rock was my pillow too.....dig that 2am train rumbling through
jbwelda
June 28, 2004 08:06PM
yes jim there is probably some amount of pesticide in there from fields up north so certainly the water isnt exactly healthy, but you shouldnt drink it anyhow and i think its diluted enough not to bother your skin.

want to see pollution? heres some pollution:

[www.sacbee.com]

one love
jah bill
June 30, 2004 07:32PM
Wow,

lemme get my trunks.....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login