wjats the deal with him?
he was to play long beach and canceled,
and i just got this live show already released
in MD???

grinning smileyub as a weapon with Lee scratch perry
05-21-06
crossroads
Bladensburg md

didnt even hear he made it back way round the states?
come now! why no cali??
Re: Perry?
May 24, 2006 11:18AM
he is the "upsetter" afterall .. smiling smiley
May 24, 2006 01:48PM
He's pickin up cherry.
May 24, 2006 10:05PM
I'm a big fan of Mr. Pipecock Jackson, but the fact is that old Scratch is one of those classic cases of genius coexisting with insanity. No telling why the show was cancelled.

One love,
Jah Mike

Jah Jah power endureth for i-ver.
May 25, 2006 03:31AM
Probably because there wasn't enough dunzer! I personally can't understand when there are so many bright young singers around why anyone would pay money to see an idiot in his dotage screaming incoherent profanities. I mean Lee Perry was not even at his peak a singer but a producer. Forget this rude little ginal bwoy and spend your money on something decent.

Forget it Jah Mike, the man shed his genius 25 years ago and he's not insane but canny.

Reel
May 25, 2006 04:56AM
The Man is right. Lee Perry SucKs. I respect his history of influencing Bobs singing style in the 60's and his bringing out the best in some of reggaes greatest(Congos, Junior Byles, and countless others at black ark..) And his early 70's dub innovations second only to the GREATEST King Tubby. And just being there and a force of roots but.. Dude he cant put on a show. He is the only person ive ever heard seriously dis on Bob Marley talks all kindsa S##t about Bob being a sell-out , what? You dont dis Bob. NObody. And then I heard an album where he plays a mocking version of Soul Rebel just plain screwing it up on purpose and mocking Bob for REAL. Have you heard his singing albums? I agree hes essentric and old but hes negative and thats sad . Saw him at Snwmf on a throw away Fri night set. Rocker T. threw down styley and then... a really cracked out Eek a Mouse and then a permantly spun out Lee Perry set was beyond ridiculous. Hes wack. Wouldnt pay a nickel to see him in my own back yard. I aint trying to be negative just saying to those who may not know .. Check Lee Perry 1978 or earlier. thats it.
May 25, 2006 01:27PM
I found some of his shows over the last few years to be amusing. As far as negativity goes I've heard worse from some of these crackhead dancehall artists who are all the rage in JA.

May 25, 2006 02:28PM
This Week with Lee 'Scratch' Perry!

5.21.06 - Dubheads, rejoice! Lee 'Scratch' Perry has arrived here in the USA safely, and we will be spending the majority of this week backing up and opening for the man himself at some great venues here on the East Coast. We are honored to be doing these gigs with one of the forefathers of dub music. Come out and show your love for one of music's greatest innovators at a venue near you...

On Tour with Lee 'Scratch' Perry:
Sunday, May 21, 2006
Crossroads
Bladensburg, MD
www.crossroadsclub.com

Monday, May 22, 2006
Sonar
Baltimore, MD
www.sonarbaltimore.com

Tuesday, May 23, 2006
World Cafe Live
Philadelphia, PA
www.worldcafelive.com

Wednesday, May 24, 2006
Toad's Place
New Haven, CT
www.toadsplace.com

Thursday, May 25, 2006
B.B. King's
New York, NY
www.bbkingblues.com

[www.dubisaweapon.com]
May 25, 2006 05:34PM
"sideways" : pls get in touch
May 25, 2006 09:54PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one around here who thinks he is completely overrated. A genius producer in his time yes, but as a singer/performer forget it.

Insane criticism
May 26, 2006 09:01AM
No one is holding a gun to anyone's head and demanding that one listen to and dig "Time Boom X the Devil Dead" "Hey Polize, my name is Chrizee" or, for that matter, take Perry's on stage vocal romps seriously as he dons giant siver boots and various headgear to match . It's not like the guy has changed-he still pushes the envelope to see how far how many knuckleheads will take him seriously-it is part of what he does to amuse himself and those of us who would pay to see him play a xzylophone-it wouldn't matter. The essence ,though, of his recent performances has been the Mad Professor's acid dub grooves fused through a slight down tempo stabilzer enhanced frenetically with a little "Spiritualized"-like distortion. Perry's performences that I witnessed at Sierra in '99 and at Red Rocks in '98 were less about the vocals and more about the mix. Admittedly different, but certainly enjoyable without having to partake in the once thought of Perry gig prerequisite-powdered lizard tail.

Lee Perry's musical influence is still evident in all parts of the world. The instantly recognizable yet richly varied sound that originated at Black ark attracted a lot of us to reggae in the first place.

If anyone can criticize Marley, Lee Perry certainly can. Bob Marley did indeed sell out by taking an alliance with a political party, a big time no-no if you're a Rasta. The manifestations of political thuggery is probably what led to Perry's frustration and eventual burning down of Black Ark. Marley's ridiculous stoned nonsensical interviews are no more revealing than one of Perry's stream of consciousness rants-the difference being American journalists oohing and ahhing over marley's insight into nothing. Jah rest his soul at only 36- a tragic passing that doesn't eliminate the man from criticism.

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
May 26, 2006 11:18AM
O-man how 2 get in touch wit u mon no address linked 2 u?

we are losing greats every month.
no more time for me to compare anyone to how good they used to sound
or what they did back when.
i 'll enjoy happily, any ramblings any original, has to offer.
especially live. why not cali, especially when the calling is greater
and we have all these fests coming?
May 26, 2006 12:47PM
Good counterpoint Papaken. Bob was a man. Lee perry does his thing. I can dig what your saying. But you would have to hold a gun to my head to get me to watch him again. Im exagerating a little. Peace.
May 26, 2006 10:31PM
I'd pay just to watch the tension backstage between Perry and his Swedish wife after the gig at Sierra in '99.

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
May 28, 2006 01:13AM
Is she hot? The Swede.
May 28, 2006 03:26AM
Actually, I believe she is Swiss.
Big up papaken.

One love,
Jah Mike

May 28, 2006 04:08AM
She's a Swiss baronese but they are separated now.
May 28, 2006 09:52AM
Still at his age, The Upsetter.

1. If Penny shined the same harsh light on his patron Bunny Lee, just how nice
would Striker appear??? Mr. Man, you seem to operate as a one-man lobbyist
in the Rehabilitate Bunny Lee Foundation, a producer in the Jamaican music
industry that, if anything, has inspired far darker talk than any antics of Perry.
I give Striker Lee his due, and have enjoyed 100s of his productions, but
looking at each man at his creative heights in the 70s, my choice for genius
producer is, as guys in sports bar say, 'a no-brainer'.

2. That the creative level inhabited by Scratch is shared by so very,very few
producers, in all genres of music, is a fact that should be acknowledged.

3. Nope, Perry(like Prince Buster) is no one's idea of a great singer, but both
men have voiced many great records, and clearly have the gift of inspiration
and being able to 'vibe' a session in highly creative ways.

4. Unlike most producers, Perry is also a SONGWRITER and lyricist who has
penned some of the most telling lines and songs in the music.

5. Finally, name me ONE producer in reggae that had Perry's sonic gifts and
amazing abilities in real-time mix(in other words, who had as amazing a set
of hands in front of the studio board??) Not Mr. Lee, or Mr. Coxsone, or
Junjo, or Duke or....none of those men ever were the engineer-
producer-songwriter-performer-dub-master magician such as LP.

Having stated the above, personally I don't feel the need to watch another set of
the Elder Perry's stream-of-consciousness chatting over a three piece band.
Better if he chose to bestow an Upsetter Ska-Rocksteady Review, or what about
an Evening At Black Ark Studio? Too bad he doesn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login