Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

you know the end is near when...

Posted by jb welda 
you know the end is near when...
May 24, 2006 12:36PM
Various - Irie Reggae Hits: Best Of Dancehall (As Seen On TV) Time Life / Rhino OPCD7860

to borrow a phrase from ras danny... sigh ...

one love
jah bill
Re: you know the end is near when...
May 24, 2006 12:45PM
Rhino is hooked in with Time/Life????
May 24, 2006 12:47PM
thats part of it mike...the other part is what the hell is time/life doing around here? thats the "end is near" part i was referring to.

one love
jah bill
May 24, 2006 01:59PM
May 24, 2006 02:00PM
Man of the year 1935
May 24, 2006 02:01PM
Time has been Rasta for years!
: )

a
May 24, 2006 02:12PM
Nice Ras A. :-)

Peace

May 24, 2006 02:34PM
I have that image on a t-shirt for sale if anyone is interested...
May 24, 2006 03:13PM
aside from where it came from - what do you think of the selections on this?

DISC 1
1. Here Comes The Hotstepper - Ini Kamoze
2. Gimme The Light - Sean Paul
3. Living Dangerously - Barrington Levy/Bounty Killer
4. Heads High - Mr. Vegas
5. For You - Spragga Benz
6. Wicked In Bed - Shabba Ranks
7. Can't Satisfy Her - I Wayne
8. Murder She Wrote - Chake Demus/Pliers
9. Intoxication - Gentleman
10. Ring The Alarm - Tenor Saw
11. Subterranean Homesick Blues - Sizzla
12. Champion - Buju Banton
13. Tekk - Vbyz Kartel
14. Place Mash Up - Sanchez
15. Roots, Reality & Culture - Bounty Killer
16. No Guns To Town - Natty King
17. Don't Dis The Trinity - Capleton

May 24, 2006 03:29PM
Anything to increase the profile of reggae, says I.

I like snow
May 24, 2006 03:35PM
great alireggae. i hear at mcdonalds they have a new HIM-burger. be the first in line to "increase the profile of reggae".

one love
jah bill
May 24, 2006 03:48PM
Hmm - that's some old meat JB

I like snow
May 24, 2006 03:50PM
jahbill - would you care to comment on the content?
May 24, 2006 03:51PM
people selling dancehall compilations?....time to run for the hills...
May 24, 2006 04:01PM
dam good tunes in there..She needs more wood for the Fiyaaa...

That I wayne oen is sweet

suprised they have the Burn Bwotty bwoy artists on there..lololo

wonder who picks them..I mean..Wiked ina bed?..Ring the alarm...that was in the 1991?..!!! then ..you get Vybz Kartel..lol funny mix
May 24, 2006 04:34PM
>jahbill - would you care to comment on the content?

the content of the HIM-burger? im afraid i wouldnt have a clue.

the content of the cd is kind of beside the point. what im pointing out is that media conglomerates are making money out of rebellion to paraphrase the clash. thats what i find so curious about this. although reviewing the titles there isnt much rebellion there so perhaps thats not exactly a valid point. what is a valid point is that the end must be near if time life is involved in shilling reggae music and "(As Seen On TV)" seals it. i never thought i would see the day.

one love
jah bill
May 24, 2006 04:35PM
i think i recall a K-Tel reggae cd commercial. but that one wasnt bad i think amy "night nurse" watchell actually picked the trax, a
May 24, 2006 04:42PM
May 24, 2006 07:48PM
"what im pointing out is that media conglomerates are making money out of rebellion to paraphrase the clash. thats what i find so curious about this"

are you serious?...this is a news flash?...what label are the marley's on?...this has been happening since the 60'sin a number of genres

talib kweli
e-40
ice t
the ramones
talking heads
neil young

all have been a part of the time/warner umbrella

Post Edited (05-24-06 19:49)
May 24, 2006 08:02PM
>time/warner

except it wasnt time/warner when the talking heads were putting out records. it was probably warner bros which if i remember correctly was one of the few "majors" to have held out from being bought out by a mega corporation. i dont know about most of those other artists or when exactly warner got bought up by time/life or whoever made the first acquistion of warner brothers.

but your point is valid. its just that if you dont see what im sighing about its not worth the effort to try to explain it. its inevitable i suppose. reggae and laundry detergent on the same shelf in the market, its all product.

one love
jah bill
May 24, 2006 09:21PM
the more the marrier

If people really heard more then just..YA I liek reggae..BOB MARLEY!!..this world would be better..
IF I was 12 yrs old..and got a "Ram Dance CD best oF"..I woudl have been stoked..

the ealry years of dancehall....lord have mercy..I had to drive 40 miles to the Ghey BAy to get reggae
May 24, 2006 09:59PM
This compilation's origin makes it even more surprising that the tracklist is so good. Some killer tunes, the only real low point is Sizzla's uninspired "Subterranean Homesick Blues." I'm particularly surprised to see a fire and brimstone tune like "Dis The Trinity" on there - it's not too often you see a song with the lyrics "If you dis Marcus, then you must bite the dust . . . if you dis Selassie I, boy you gwan die . . . dis Emmanuel, gone down a hell, every knee shall bow and every tongue shall tell" being advertised as "as seen on TV."

I see Jah Bill's point about the commoditization, but honestly I'd much rather see real-deal reggae and dancehall on a sold-on-TV compilation than see yet another watered-down "One Love" compilation.
May 25, 2006 05:23AM
Hey yall I got some real light to shed this time not just popping off here. My mothers ex-boyfriend of 5 years(now their just friends..) is Ronnie Rice of the Rice Brothers. Tony Rice his brother is the greatest bluegrass guitar player alive today and their brother Wyatt. Tony Rice was the last person to play with Jerry Garcia before he passed on.(check the pizza tapes also with David Grisman on mandolin.) If you dont know about Tony Rice and his musical family then get down with some bluegrass(roots) music. For Real. ANYWAY, Ronnie is less into the playing of music (he plays bass in the famous Rice Brothers)but into the recording of music. My point is Ronnie is the guy who makes all the compilations for Time music dept. No ****. and ive been to his house and he has a library of music and he is all about music and that is his job. He works for Time Magazine and whenever you see an infomercial of the "greatest hits from whenever... remastered".. He did that. He turned me on to the original Jethroe Tull Aqualung that you cant get anymore. The original Album was recorded on great 70's equipment and then they did it right. Then things went digital and THAT sound was lost. So unless you have an original 70's copy of Aqualung on vinly OR the C.D. I got from Ronnie your not hearing the piano and some of the drums and some of the vocals. Just an example. When I went to his house and burned 40 cds in 2 hours. I was drooling over the Syd Barrett and early punk, Pretty Things And I got some Dr. John and some classic Stevie Wonder And I remember stressing to him that reggae comps were where its at. Educate the people no? We all know.

Post Edited (05-25-06 05:28)
May 26, 2006 09:17AM
Spread the message that's what I say. Yeah, some corporate mutha is making a killing off it, but that's how things go. How many are gonna buy this CD and then buy another? Is that not a good thing?

JB, how would you take it if reggae were actually to become mainstream in US culture? Would you be pi$$ed because it would mean more commercialization of the music, or would you be happy becasue that would mean more reggae is produced? I sympathize with both perspectives, but overall, I'd like to see more and just use my judgement to sift through the crap.
May 26, 2006 09:34AM
ss, i just mostly listen to the music and ignore the hype and the hypsters. this one just stuck in my craw a bit but i see that its got good (but common) stuff on it. probably crappy mixes but thats just a guess. essentially all i care about is the music and rarely the politics nor the collectors disease. at least they didnt overtly equate weed with reggae which i think is the worst thing that can happen; but is pretty much what the usa reggae market is about: hippies finding a rationalization to justify smoking herb. it just cracks me up to see ernie b selling this (that was the source by the way) and the "as seen on tv" bit like an ophra book or something.

one love
jah bill
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login