Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mayan Calender

Posted by ___katie___ 
Mayan Calender
May 25, 2006 08:27PM
It has come up a couple times in my mind..the Mayan Calender ends on December 23, 2012 what do you guys think?

i think that it'll be a big change, i don't know if im ready for the end of the world
♥
Re: Mayan Calender
May 25, 2006 10:01PM

If you actually take the time to STUDY the Mayan calendar (which are ideas borrowed from older calendars, such as the Olmecs), you will know that it is based on sun cycles. Just because a sun cycle ends (there have already been more than six of these documented) doesn't mean that the WORLD ends.

The ending of a sun cycle was traditionally celebrated by tribes. They would burn down their own villages, smash their pottery (and molds), destroy their cloths, etc., and then wake up the next day and start rebuilding everything anew.

I don't understand why so many fear this date...

-Daddy Spleece

[www.RealitySounds.com]
[www.SantaCruzReggae.com]
May 25, 2006 11:23PM
Thanks for kickin' some knowledge Spleece... my Latin American history isn't so sharp

Respect Same Way
May 26, 2006 01:10AM
Knowledge throughout history has been coveted and used for gain. The priest caste
in Mayan society used their knowledge of astronomy and seasonal change as
part of their control system over the population.

Those priest woulda probably made good scientologists....
May 26, 2006 01:45AM

I hear ya papa ray! It's much like our current calender created by the Vatican and used for the same reasons.

Tahoearmada, one of the COOLEST classes I ever took in my collage 'career' (and trust me, I can count those on one hand) was Pre-Columbian Meso American Art History, taught by an expert. While most people hate standard art history courses, I swear in an advanced art history class you can learn more about a culture of peoples than any regular history or even anthropology course...

-Daddy Spleece

[www.RealitySounds.com]
May 26, 2006 01:49AM

The crazy thing the 2012 sun ending is that it points to the center Ollin, which symbolizes a great quaking of the earth, and then rebalance. The Ollin represents restructure through destruction of the existing.

I named my daughter "Trinity Ollin."

-Daddy Spleece

[www.RealitySounds.com]
May 26, 2006 02:21AM

Okay, so rereading this thread I figure I should explain my mixed message of world end since I stated originally it wouldn't then talked about the Ollin as a destroyer.

ONE other way to interpret it could be: NOT the physical destruction of the Earth, but a global wide shift in spiritual vibes, thought, behavior, etc. That is, the destroyed being the way everyone acts or interacts now, the rebalance being whatever 'new' ways come about. Since we know through the history of the other five sun cycles that this was the case, and the physical destruction of the village and everything in it was a spiritual ceramony, I do not see any reason why the sixth wouldn't be any other way, exept that few will burn their homes and then rebuild them the next day...

-Daddy Spleece

[www.RealitySounds.com]
May 26, 2006 05:54AM
Baktun 12 is winding down...2012 a.d.
May 26, 2006 05:58PM
The feathered serpent....Quetzalcoatl.......anyone know what it represents?
May 27, 2006 04:36AM
Standard response: He was the guy who was suppose to return from the East to reclaim his power, but the Indians mistook Cort├ęs for him instead.

Intermediate response: Quetzalcoatl was a god of such importance and power in Mesoamerican cultures that nearly no aspect of everyday life seemed to go untouched by him. As a historical figure, his actions would nor could not be contained by History and thus eventually evolved into myth. And as a legend, he would signal the end of mortal kingship. An interesting phenomenon that distinguished Quetzalcoatl is that despite the fact he is not the most powerful of gods within the Mesoamerican pantheon, or one of the eldest, he is nonetheless an integral part of the system. This was partially accomplished by his ability to integrate himself so securely to attributes of his fellow brethren, to such an extent that it is virtually impossible to tell if Quetzalcoatl was the true originator or vise versa. Hence, to establish a single definitive personality to a god is extremely difficult.

It must be kept in mind that despite Quetzalcoatl being an Aztec name, the cultures preceding them had their name for him as well, and applying their own unique attributes to him. Consequently, Quetzalcoatl is related to many names and incarnations, and seems to play a prominent role in a pantheon of virtually all the other Mesoamerican deities. Quetzalcoatl himself goes by the names of Gukumatz, Nine Wind, and Kukulcan among others. These are the most common names found in the general Aztec and Mayan cultures, with Quetzalcoatl maintaining a host of avatars with whom he is intimately connected with or represented by. There are also certain gods that Quetzalcoatl is involved with most of the time as well, such as Xolotl, Tlaloc, Xipe, and Tezcatlipoca. These "upper level" gods are either contrary, complimentary, or both at the same time towards Quetzalcoatl, creating a sense of duality around these myths.

Duality itself runs rampant in myth, as well as being found in the astronomical/cosmological associations between Quetzalcoatl and the heavens and stars. Questions run the gamut from his morning star associations (as Venus) to the possibilities of his connection with Mercury. Ultimately it is this symbolism that runs through the myth and its astrological and cosmological incarnations which raise the questions and hint at Quetzalcoatl's power and pervasiveness.

Advanced response: Don't even get me started....

-Daddy Spleece

[www.RealitySounds.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login