Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Do we need grammy validation?

Posted by girasol 
Do we need grammy validation?
May 26, 2006 11:36PM
I just came accross this interesting petition, as I read it initially I agreed totally with the original author, and I decided to sign it. Then I thought about the implications of this concept. Reggae being "praised" by popular culture is paradoxical to the true meaning of reggae. Or is it?

"Many of u may have signed an online petition 2 make the entertainment industry treat Reggae as a viable music genre. The contributions of Reggae, its artists & its influence r being ignored, while many seek 2 reap mega profits from it. This is disrespectful not only 2 Reggae artists, but 2 all genres. TIME Magazine named BOB MARLEY, the artist of the century--not Elvis! Why is it we haven't seen an honorary award presented in his honor @ the Grammy's presentation? Why haven't Reggae artists & their musical contributions not been honored during the live telecast of the Grammy's? Such a matter is not something we should take lightly, the implications & ramifications transcends music genres; & we should demand that this issue be rectified immediately.
Some of us have come 2gether & petitioned the governing body of the Grammy Awards using message forwarding, w/in the myspace.com vast community. It is our intent 2 force the music industry 2 recognize & show appreciation 4 a genre of music that represents & defends the poor & oppressed.
This petition was started in Nov 05 & ur support has been appreciated, but the work isn't finished & u r being asked 2 put forth an even stronger effort. We have a few thousand signatures... As u read this u may ask urself, "but how is this relevant 2 me?" It matters because, everyone reading this email either know of Bob Marley &/or know @ least 1 of his countless songs. By raise of hands, how many of u readers can give the name of 1 song by the Beatles, Elvis, now look around, because chances are, ALL of u can name @ least 1 Bob Marley song."

www.petitiononline.com/reggae1/petition.html

Re: Do we need grammy validation?
May 27, 2006 07:27AM
signed looks to be about 5000 sigs now. lets get 100000

We Are Creatures Of Love, and Victims Of Hate.
Ziggy Marley
May 27, 2006 06:23PM
Grammys and all award shows are a joke. Reggae music does not need them.

May 27, 2006 08:38PM
what does a grammy mean? that the music is more viable? why does music have to have awards in the 1st place? seems more a ploy in merchandising to make people buy into whatever artist corporations wish to sponser as the only people who Win awards are people who are signed to Big Buisness.
ODB
May 27, 2006 08:52PM
Dont the gramys have a reggae award? I thought Damian Marley had one, Ziggy's got one, Jimmy Cliff. I dont get the point to this petition. Why must anyone be forced to recognize reggae music? If the mainstream media ports wanted reggae music to succeed then they would have to provide honest support in forwarding the values of the reggae community? Thats not what sells.Wether any of you understand it or not the real oppressor to reggae music is the positive values and messages within its context. You want reggae to be accepted by the mainstream then you will have to drop your pants and start shakin your ass, or you will have to bring the violence that plagues rap music into the scene. Not that jamaica isnt violent but its not on US tv everyday. And its not being praised in most reggae music, Thats what they want.

Upgrade your grey matter, cuz one day it may matter!
May 28, 2006 08:20AM
Burning Spear has a grammy.Well deserved.I would Never watch an award show or care at all who wins. B.S.
May 28, 2006 08:38PM
Correct me if wrong, but the petition is for the TV broadcasting of the existing REGGAE catagory. We all know(fans born B4 '80) that SHABBA received da 1st award,duh! The GRAMMY (Recording Academy)award is important because members of the music industry whom have 3+ credits(worked on) on an album have the voting rights(professionals only). It's not some damn popularity contest(AMA,BET,MtV,etc..). Chris Blackwell(founder of Island Recs.) recieved a Spec. Merit award last yr. So educate B4 you hate!

May 28, 2006 08:50PM
1st reggae grammy went to black uhuru
May 28, 2006 08:53PM
the year was 1984 and the album was called "anthem" it was also the 1st year reggae was added to the grammys..
May 29, 2006 05:07AM
wait, are you tryin to tell me that i am not the only person around here that was alive before 1980...wow, what a relief...can anyone tell me about the days back when you could get an oz. for $55.00 and computers cost 10 grand?
May 29, 2006 05:09AM
why would anyone watch an awards show when
they could be watching
reruns
of
Bill O'reilly?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login