Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gentleman

Posted by Empress 
Gentleman
June 30, 2004 04:01AM
Sorry I was out of the loop for awhile and missed any of the chit chat about Gentleman. Anyone want to tell me what the concensus was on his performance?

Re: Gentleman
June 30, 2004 07:52AM
I cant believe no one has responded. the perfomance was legendary .It was his first time to the usa. I have listend to reggae my whole life and he represented to the fullest. the band played many top dance hall beats while gentelman sang positive hard lirics over every song . my favorite was the SIZZLA rythem. much respect. I looked for his cd but could not find it. DON CARLOS AND GENTLEMAN PLUS BURNING SPEAR took the show.
June 30, 2004 07:53AM
I cant believe no one has responded. the perfomance was legendary .It was his first time to the usa. I have listend to reggae my whole life and he represented to the fullest. the band played many top dance hall beats while gentelman sang positive hard lirics over every song . my favorite was the SIZZLA rythem. much respect. I looked for his cd but could not find it. DON CARLOS , GENTLEMAN and BURNING SPEAR took the show.
June 30, 2004 11:46PM
I have heard his muzik before, and was looking forward to sighting him up. He mashed up the show . The energy in the whole place uplifted. A friend of mine was with me and I told him I was going to check it out up close. He at first said he would sit it out, and within the first 3min of his 1st track , my bredren came to the front cause the vibes were on. Nuff respect to Gentleman. Rythyms were sweet, lyrical content was straight, conscious and vibratory.....
Nice to sight someone who has a future within the industry and isnt just a fly by night .......Faker.. His vibes are heartical.
Bless up in the mighTfull name of Ras Tafari.
July 01, 2004 02:12AM
Nuff
July 01, 2004 03:03AM
Gentleman has his own site www.journeytojah.com....3 albums....1 live(similar to all live performances)Best artist at snwmf period......
July 01, 2004 04:46AM
Gentleman was off the hook. I really prefer roots, but his dancehall was totally positive conscious lyrics... I didn't think I would really enjoy him, but I found myself loving it and really having a good time listening to the words... I'd buy his cd...........Peace
juan-love
July 01, 2004 11:01PM
gentleman one of the top performers this year!!!! i actually got to meet him shortly after his performance. nice guy considering he was being stoped by groups of people every 2 or 3 steps he took. wish i would have had my camera rite then but you how that goes. one love-juan love
July 02, 2004 07:28AM
I enjoyed his set - but I personally think the Detour Posse did way too much of the fake "mix-downs" that basically ended up being a bag of noise obscuring Gentleman's voice. I guess it adds a bit of hype and excitement, but when overdone it just gets annoying. The crowd seemed to eat it up anyways, though, so what do I know . . .

Gentleman did, however, do something rare: a Marley cover that I enjoyed a great deal and thought had artistic merit rather than being a cheap play for a forward.
pat
July 02, 2004 01:31PM
what marley cover? war?
jbwelda
July 02, 2004 03:55PM
redemption song was his (i think) second encore. and a very credible job of it too.

one love
jah bill
Fish
July 02, 2004 09:26PM
"and a very credible job of it too."

Exactly. A very relaxed and unpretentious delivery, and the (unsurprising) call for audience participation created a very genuine moment of both audience and performer enjoying a song together, rather than being akin to the normal "How you feeling?" business. His little vocalizations of the guitar part, and his quiet remark of "Now the second verse - the lyrics them so powerful" added to the mood quite a bit . . . it was a nice moment.
jbwelda
July 02, 2004 09:32PM
yes fish i thought it was very moving and generally i am not at all interested in rehashes of marley songs that so many artists evidently feel they must do. this one seemed very heartfelt and like you indicate, even the audience participation part was very well received.

i think that along with tokyo ska paradise orchestra and carlton livingston/brigadier jerry, gentleman was the high point of the entire weekend.

one love
jah bill
July 06, 2004 08:13AM
Thanks for the responses guys. Was out of town for the past few days and this was the first chance that I have got to check the postings. Glad to hear that everyone had the same take on it as I do. He blew my mind and I am glad to see that there were no negative responses to his performance. We all have such good taste, hehe.

July 06, 2004 10:30PM
If you want to feel what the show was like, buy his 2CD live album. It's a very similar set to the Sierra Nevada one. It is recorded in Cologne in 2003 I believe. The Far East Band on the album is wicked. Send me a couple of CD-Rs and I'll burn it for you if you want.

fourtwentyplenty
July 07, 2004 03:27AM
Thanks 420 but Warren's got the DVD for that show, which was awesome!!! If you get a chance to check that out, I would totally recommend it. I don't think that we can get it here in the US but maybe from his website. I did get to see Gentleman's performance and it blew me away. I have been waiting to see him for a couple years now and he totally lived up to my expectations. I was just curious how everyone else felt about his performance.
July 12, 2004 07:40PM
Hey 420, I'll take a copy of that CD. Give me an e-mail and we'll reason it out.
jbwelda
July 12, 2004 07:50PM
why dont you just buy it from ernie b?

Gentleman - Live (2 CD) Four Music
TRACKS (23)
• Intro
• Fire Ago Bun Dem (Short)
• See Dem Coming
• Jah Ina Yuh Life
• Ina Differrent Time (With Daddy Rings)
• Love Chant
• Man A Rise
• Jah Jah Never Fail
• Dangerzone
• Check Dis / Daddy Rings
• What She Deserves
• Children Of Tomorrow
• Dem Gone
• Good Days / Tamika And Mamadee
• Live It Up
• Rainy Days (With Martin Jondo & Tamika)
• Call Me On The Telephone / Daddy Rings
• Runaway
• Stranded / Matthias The Dread
• Politition Bwoy
• Sunshine / Allstars
• Fire Ago Bun Dem
• Leave Us Alone

one love
jah bill
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login