Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Seabreeze Festival...Security a Problem

Posted by Rhythmwize 
Seabreeze Festival...Security a Problem
July 12, 2004 05:40PM
Security was a major problem this year at the Queen Mary Park in Long Beach.

I got there about 30 minutes after the gates opened at 1pm and got thru the line in about 15 minutes, although I could see the line behind me building even though it was still early, not a good sign.

Some friends arrived at about 230pm and had to wait in line 1 1/2 hours, yes 90 minutes, to get thru the line as they had only two lines and were checking everything throughly.

Then to top it off, they had a cyclone fence around the beer bar and made you stand there to drink your beer with no where to sit and no shade.

Maybe it was just me, but that stuff seemed to just kill the festival vibe, didnt seem like a very happy crowd.

I think thats my last festival at the Queen Mary Park...The security is overbearing and the organizers arent dealing with it properly.

Anybody else got any views on how the day went for them?

BTW, Vybz Kartel was a no show, announced by a sign at the door.
Irie_i
Re: Seabreeze Festival...Security a Problem
July 12, 2004 05:51PM
Thats to bad it used to be fun there. Was vybz being a no show a suprise?? no way he does that all the time
solid rock
July 12, 2004 05:51PM

am i having a deja vu or is this almost the exact same thing i remember reading last year?
July 12, 2004 06:01PM
solid rock wrote:

> am i having a deja vu or is this almost the exact same thing i
> remember reading last year?

Not exactly...this was the seabreeze festival not the one love festival.

I turned around and went home at the one love fest last labor day.

In the past, the seabreeze had been pretty good but things took a big change for the worse this year. They may have had some gang problems last year that caused the increase in security...probably dictated by the folks at the Queen Mary...they had uniformed LB police walking around inside the venue...which was a first as well.
July 12, 2004 06:06PM
Let's remember we ARE talking about Long Beach here.
rustfan
July 12, 2004 07:33PM
Rhythmwize,

We got there right at 2:15-2:30 and waited only 15-20 minutes - but yes the line was starting to get long.

Now, here's one thing I noticed that might have been part of the reason why things started to clog up about that time.

Security had to keep stopping what they were doing when certain rude, inconsiderate fools (who felt they didn't need to stand in line like a civil person) kept trying to "make a new" line and force their way into the front of the line/gate. So then security would have to hold things up - control/send away those rats - while line abiding people payed the price by waiting.

Just another instance where the good suffered because of the rudies.

I saw certain organizers do a good job at handling this problem - but so many of these idiots started trying to cut the line, I could see how it could be somewhat hard to control. The only way that could have be handled - it would require someone to play line police and regulate/send back line cutters - kinda like the teacher who keeps little kids in line at elementary school. Sad to say, but that might have to happen at shows like this.

I really feel that the rude boys business stalled the lines to a degree - not to mention, it was obvious they made the security twice as uptight/tense and maybe they took it out on everyone else.

Samething happened at the food lines - you're standing there - in line - and some fool think his time is more valuable than yours, so they cut people off without even a bit of concern. Amazingly sad.

Didn't know about that beer fencing - that sounds like it would stink - couldn't figure out why all these people weren't bringing their beers back to their spots.

More about the music later............
July 12, 2004 08:00PM
rustfan wrote:

> We got there right at 2:15-2:30 and waited only 15-20 minutes -
> but yes the line was starting to get long.

Im not sure exactly when my friends arrived, maybe it was closer too
3 pm, but Im pretty sure they had to wait that long, they were pretty upset about it.

> Now, here's one thing I noticed that might have been part of
> the reason why things started to clog up about that time.
> Security had to keep stopping what they were doing when certain
> rude, inconsiderate fools (who felt they didn't need to stand
> in line like a civil person) kept trying to "make a new" line
> and force their way into the front of the line/gate.
> Same thing happened at the food lines - you're standing there -
> in line - and some fool think his time is more valuable than
> yours, so they cut people off without even a bit of concern.

Yeah, I saw the line cutters even when I got there at 130pm...that undoubtedly will slow down the line for everyone else but I dont think the organizers did a good job of handling the situation. They simply didnt have enuff people checking, only two lines when I was there.
And they need some barricades to minimize the line cutters.

With regard to the line cutters, I know from experience that this is a prominent feature of Jamaican culture. If you've ever been to a crowded festival or music event in Jamaica you will quickly learn that unless you get in there and mix it up and elbow your way into lines, you will be pushed aside and not get served. It shameful, but thats just an ugly reality in Jamaica and I guess it carries over here. Its the Jamaican way, mon!
rustfan
July 12, 2004 11:22PM
Rhythmwize,

Your idea about more barricades doesn't sound too bad - that may cut down on line cutters - to a degree. I guess it's time for the line police, as much as I hate to say it/see it.

Yes, in general, what you're saying about Jamaica way and lines is true....no biggie cause if someone wants to play that game, I'll play it right back - if you step in front of me or my family, why should I be so polite and not do the same. All this could be avoided if everyone, Jamaican or not, just waited their turn.

Now, normally I wouldn't stand for what I saw yesterday - but I figured it would be best to play it cool - because depending on the size of the fool, either I would have killed someone or someone wudda killed me over a spot in a line.

Also, I remembered it's not smart to argue with a fool, becasue if they're not smart enough to follow simple procedures, there's no hope for any of us - only blood wudda flowed. My blood is more valuable than my pride I guess.
July 13, 2004 12:03AM
rustfan wrote:

> Rhythmwize,
>
> Your idea about more barricades doesn't sound too bad - that
> may cut down on line cutters - to a degree. I guess it's time
> for the line police, as much as I hate to say it/see it.

In some permanent venues in Jamaica they have iron pipe railings
set up that are only as wide as your body, people move single file down that aisle and there is no room for someone to move in from the side or start another line...comin in wide and starting another line is common practice there.

In Jamaica, sometimes I would send my wife up to the bar to fight for drinks; Although Im little ashamed to admit it, she would seem to have better success then me...she can be pretty aggressive and perhaps gets a little more respect then I do...haha

Yeah, it would foolish to try and challenge these guys, thats for others...once at Bob Marley Day a couple guys tried to jump in the line in front of about 10 Latino guys and they verbally ran them off...but it takes a group effort, at Seabreeze nobody said anything and I wasnt about to say, " hey MF's, get to the back of the line"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login