Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

No Monterey Festival this year!

Posted by DewayneR 
No Monterey Festival this year!
July 13, 2004 08:29PM
To my fellow music lovers.
I just got off the phone with the Monterey Chamber Of Commerce and was
advised that there will be no show this year.
They said the fairgrounds did not want the event this year and the Promoter
could not find another venue. Sounds like the same story as last year.
If anyone knows of another fest for Labor Day weekend please post.
Much Respect,
DewayneR
ureek-a-dub
Re: No Monterey Festival this year!
July 13, 2004 08:40PM
That is bad news! It seems to be the same old story! I do know Dread Stock is happening sort of close to where Monterey is, in Vallejo but that is Sep. 25tn and 26th! It sounds like a good Fest, but I am not sure about labor day now! Good luck!
July 13, 2004 10:22PM
I go to many reggae and caribbean musical festivals and its becoming quite evident that these types of events are becoming unwanted by the venue owners/operators and the local governments.

More and more restrictions/rules are being imposed each year which degrades the overall festival experience as well as placing an increasing financial burden on the festival organizer.

We are becoming persona non grata...in others words, we aint welcome.
jbwelda
July 13, 2004 10:24PM
that aint true. well run shows are generally welcome. that has implications for this supposed monterey show that i wont go into.

one love
jah bill
Irie_i
July 13, 2004 11:54PM
Monterrey was a nice festival, but i didnt like the venue.
Maybe if people didnt feel it neccisary to BLATENTLY smoke herb in plain view at evry reggae festival it would be a little different too. There is no need to bring your 6 inch glass piece and wave it around like its your flag. Last time I was at monterrey I have some kid in the bathroom asking me for extacy and complaining that it is not like Reggae on the River. Its to bad the vibe that ROR brings is reaching other festivals. I think that ROR gives people a false sense of what a reggae concert and festival is like, and since it is so popular people make it their first destination on their path into the reggae world giving them false pretenses about other ones.
UHU
July 14, 2004 12:45AM
who is this jbwelda person . seems to have alot of time on her/his hands. Do u need a job? I check posts / threads bye weekly and man jbwelda is every where.

NO DSRSPCT JST WNT TO KNOW HOW YOU ARE SO ON TOP OF ALL THiS and how you make time to post so many posts.

UHU.
July 14, 2004 02:06AM
UHU wrote:

> who is this jbwelda person . seems to have alot of time on
> her/his hands. Do u need a job?

ha ha...very funny

jb welda, i think he works for the state of california, that would explain why he has a lot of time on his hands...you know, the state that has a major budget crisis and has public employee unions lapping up all the money. Not that im implying that he is a member of one of these unions. he will reply tommorow when he gets to WORK.

im out
July 14, 2004 02:15AM
Irie I...Ive been to several Monterey festivals and I agree with your views...thats a conservative community from what I know and its not good relations for people to go there and openly flaunt the law.
That does not enhance your chances to be welcome to use the facility. But im aware there are other factors involved in denying the use of the facility. In the past, I was always surprised that this festival was allowed to go on there, considering what was going on inside.
jbwelda
July 14, 2004 03:38AM
youre pretty smart rhythmwise. do you work for the police department?

one love
jah bill
July 14, 2004 06:05AM
haha.......that was funny. Not police, welda is a detective.
July 14, 2004 02:23PM
Irie-I and Rhythmwize - you've got to be kidding. If you think smoking herb is something you only see at reggae festivals - you don't get out much. While it may seem very out of place at an opera or a symphony, every pop/rock/reggae/punk/metal concert I have been to (and we're talking well over 200 in the past 25 years) as soon as the lights go out the lighters start flaring. Combine that with an outdoor - all day show and of course you're going to see some smoke signals. The only bongs I recall seeing there were oin the parking lot. I thought the vibe at Monterey was very laid back, and I'm not aware of anyone being hassled by the law at those shows. More likely the promoter was a bit late, a bit short on cash, or the equestrian folks that usually have the other half of the fairgrounds decided they needed more room. I doubt very much that the law was requiring special costly permits because people were smoking herb....
July 14, 2004 04:23PM
Dubguy wrote:

> Irie-I and Rhythmwize - you've got to be kidding. If you think
> smoking herb is something you only see at reggae festivals -
> you don't get out much.

Re-read my posts dubguy...did i say smoking is only seen at reggae festivals?

And furthermore, I went on to say that in the case of Monterey, that was not likely the reason they were denied use of the facility.

I did say that it surprised me that what was going on inside the public farigrounds in a conservative city was being tolerated by the powers to be.

In my case, I get out quite a bit, but only to reggae and caribbean musical events and festivals.
July 15, 2004 04:31PM
Ha ha - sorry Rhythmwise - I had just gotten home from work, and wasn't in the best of moods - Then I saw this post and my mood got even worse, hence the bad attitude... big up mi bredren! Hope to catch you at a show... maybe even the Monterey one (there's another post keeping my hopes alive!).
July 15, 2004 05:56PM
JB Welda IS informed. Take his word if he has insight, he is connected within the right circles. Why is that so hard to digest?

One love
eric v
Acacia
July 15, 2004 08:05PM
It is like when Superman's body was stolen from his tomb after he was killed by the monster Doomsday. Supergirl sees the hole in the ground and the empty place where the coffin was and falsely hopes that he's alive despite Lex Luthor II pointing out that if he had ressurected himself, he wouldn't have taken his coffin with him. They call it grasping at straws. JB Welda is the voice of reason. And a lot more righteous than Lex Luthor.
July 15, 2004 08:22PM
I'm going to check with some promoters I know and see what I can find out.
dirtweed
July 15, 2004 08:29PM
more hair than lex luthor too.
Acacia
July 15, 2004 09:01PM
That's true. What else?
Acacia
July 15, 2004 11:03PM
You one of em?
jbwelda
July 15, 2004 11:33PM
he really is a very nice girls.

(bonus if you know where that line was more or less taken from)

one love
jah bill
dirtweed
July 15, 2004 11:35PM
ted bundys mother??
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login