Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

This site is over run with BS posting

Posted by 15_Year_ROTR_Vet 
15_Year_ROTR_Vet
This site is over run with BS posting
July 20, 2004 11:46AM
I'm out, this board has become so lame. There seems to be no moderation of this board.......see you guys next year.
TR-808
Re: This site is over run with BS posting
July 20, 2004 11:50AM
GG
July 20, 2004 11:54AM
I feel you vet! Sorry to see you go. But yes, see you next year when hopefully it'll be worth hanging around the board and before then, see you at the river!

Daniel, aren't you our moderator? Seems the self-governing is not working anymore.
??????
July 20, 2004 12:17PM
So, you guys basically talk about just one festival ALL year round then?

Now THAT'S lame.

(Not dissing the festival by the way, just the thought that in some peoples' minds it's the only one in existence)
GG
July 20, 2004 12:28PM
No Gordon, we don't discuss just the festival year round. However, I don't think the majority of us ever wanted this board to turn into fake posts about meeting Bob Marley and top 10 lists. We enjoy discussing the music, lifestyles and other happenings that festival ATTENDEES would be interested in. And if it's so lame, why are you here?
July 20, 2004 01:23PM
I remove all offensive posts, flaming and the like. It is not my job to think intelligently on behalf of all posters.

Just a reminder that this forum is designed as a means of COMMUNICATING regarding reggae, this festival and the like. Communicating means expressing a point you want to make so that others may UNDERSTAND what you are saying.

I note that some contributors write in such a manner that others cannot understand what is intended to be communicated. Then there are others who seem to post even though they have nothing to say.

You may say you are 'just kidding around' but you end up degrading the forum. The fact that my inbox gets clogged up with Spam, makes it harder for me to use email as an effective means of communication. But I receive some vital emails, so i wade through all the junk to get to that which is of value to me.

So too with this forum, but the only difference is that 'vital' information isn't being presented here, so i may not be able to give up on my email, but i can sure choose not to read posts....

Think before you post. Think before you act. Think
GG
July 20, 2004 02:46PM
Thanks Daniel for the thoughtful words! Well said.
July 20, 2004 03:14PM
Thats all good an fine Daniel, but as of now I am going to Vote with my feet. I encourage others to do the same. I choose not to be a target for BS posts, therefore I choose to no longer associate myself with your site until next year. Hopefully, our BAF friends will take the hint and blow off by then.

See you at reggae on the river.
TR-808
The river is over run with BS
July 20, 2004 03:18PM

*sniff*sniff*

"mom, they're not doing it the way i want..."

BOO HOO

hopefully you'll stay at the river

be sure to take a nice swim in that "water"

thanks!
Zoki likes little boys
July 20, 2004 03:25PM
TR - don't cry, it's okay, i'm not going anywhere
GG
July 20, 2004 03:39PM
Me either. TR-808...isn't that a robot on Star Wars? Since you're in support of the nonsense that's been on here of late, I hear there's a phorum over at Blood & Fire that has plenty of that. Why don't YOU swim on over there? Hopefully you'll stay there...
TR-808
July 20, 2004 03:46PM

Dear GG:

Shhhhhhhh. OK?

Thanks,
Everyone Else
GG
July 20, 2004 03:52PM
Dear TR-808:

Get lost. OK?

Thanks,
Everyone Else
TR-808
July 20, 2004 03:52PM

didn't follow directions:

> Shhhhhhhh. OK?

please try again
GG
July 20, 2004 03:53PM
didn't follow directions:

> Get lost. OK?

please try again
TR-808
July 20, 2004 03:54PM
TR-808
July 20, 2004 03:55PM
Lighten up people! What do you feel so threatened about? You'll see that in addition to posting a certain amount of weird (although entertaining and in the case of The Man's lists also informative) stuff, they are also a veritable fount of reggae knowledge. You've got a new spice on your board, what's the problem. Nobody's taking anything away from anybody, as far as I can see.

One love,

Rootz
TR-808

hi Rootz
TR-808
Re: This site is over run with GG posting
July 20, 2004 03:57PM

TR-808 *3 Posts*

<[www.snwmf.com];

<[www.snwmf.com];

<[www.snwmf.com]?
Zoki likes little boys
July 20, 2004 04:00PM
Hey TR-808, GG's right the blood and fire phorum is waiting for you. they told me so. you'll fit right in cuz you're just as smart as Zoki and all of his girlfriends
TR-808
July 20, 2004 04:02PM

A Brief History of Bluebeat

This is the true story of the early pioneering days of Ska and Reggae. In the early sixties a new sound was created in Jamaica and the domination of calypso on the West Indian music scene had ended.

A few copies of this new music were brought over to England by immigrants and record producer Siggy Jackson heard an acetate (prime cut disc) at a Jamaican party and was most impressed. There was no real name for this new and unique sound, but most Jamaicans called it "Jamaican Blues". Siggy, who in those days ran a small record company in London, created a new label calling it Blue Beat. The first record under this banner was: "Boogie Rock/Heavenly Angel" by Laurel Aitken. Soon a string of Blue Beat records followed, such as Keith & Enid's "Worried Over You", The Folks Brothers, Higgs & Wilson, Blue Rivers, etc.

The music spread to all the dancing clubs, now called discos and was widely adopted by the scooter riding "mods". A new sound was here made popular entirely by the disco D.J.'s. Not one air play could be heard, not one Ska or Blue Beat record could get into the charts in the early sixties, although outselling many records in the charts. Why? Because Ska outlets were not shops who qualified for the chart returns.

The mods were dancing in blue beat skirts (down to the ankle affairs) and the lads were sporting blue beat hats (small brimmed [sic] trilbies.) One of the greatest exponents of Ska was D.J. Mike Quinn, in those days famous for his TV programme "A Whole Scene Going" and pounding the Ska at the "Marquee" club in London, where many a star was born. The music now known widely, has created a number of stars: Laurel Aitken, Prince Buster, Derrick Morgan, Blue Rivers, Desmond Dekker and many others.

By the late sixties the compelling fast beat of the Ska mellowed and Reggae was born. Bob Marley dominated the scene and his early death was a tragedy to music lovers, everywhere. Laurel Aitken came to England and teamed up with Siggy Jackson. Laurel, a fine musician (he was born in Cuba), composed and performed many a hit and to this day is going strong doing gigs all over the world. Another fine line-up of versatile musicians was The Pyramids, who began their music life as The Bees. They were Prince Buster's backing group and were great exponents of Ska music. The Headquarters of Ska was the Blue Beat office in Earlham Street, in London's Soho, opposite the late Joe Blum's boxing gymnasium.

Every day many Ska and Reggae disciples congregated there just to listen to the latest releases. Even, the then heavyweight boxing champion of the world, Sonny Liston, was there on most days taking a breather from training. Other record companies were now releasing Ska/Reggae records. New groups sprang up like mushrooms. From the popular TV show, "Oh Boy", the famous "Lord Rockingham XI's" sax player Red Price formed a group called "The Blue Beats". There was the unusual talent and voice of "Girl Satchmo" and a young girl with the name of Bond sang "I'm a Blue Beat Baby".

It was all great fun. Even the recording sessions, though serious, were fun. There was a tremendous atmosphere in the studio, clouds of smoke, a little Jamaican Rum and a bass beat, to make the producer and engineer bounce in their seats to the rhythm of the Ska. The odd journalist and the closest fans of the group and recording artist were "giving it all" - dancing to the infectious beat. Those were the days ...

--

Delroy Sion Eccles from the liner notes of the CD, "The History of Ska, Blue Beat, & Reggae: Volume 1" by Esoldun, France, LG2-1063
GG
July 20, 2004 04:03PM
TR-808....I'm so hurt. You don't play well with others do you? So who's the crybaby now? WAAAAAA ...YOU UPSET ME SO I'M GOING TO POST HATEFUL THINGS ON THE BOARD....WAAAAAA!!!

Rootzilla..the phorum from whence you come is perfect for all that knowledge and information. Most of us here just aren't interested though....there are a few 'musicphiles' here as it was stated by another of your lot but most of us are just more into connecting with eachother without all the trivia. See Daniel's post at the top of this thread for a good explanation.
TR-808
July 20, 2004 04:08PM

BOBBY KONDERS IS A WELL-KNOWN AND RESPECTED SOUNDMAN AND DJ, WIDELY CREDITED FOR HIS CONTRIBUTIONS IN GROWING THE CONNECTION BETWEEN REGGAE AND HIP-HOP. ALSO TO HIS CREDIT, WITH HUNDREDS OF RELEASES COMING OUT UNDER HIS NAMESAKE LABEL, BOBBY IS ONE OF THE VERY FEW YANKEE PRODUCERS TO EARN THE RESPECT OF SELECTORS, DJS, AND LISTENERS IN YARD AND ABROAD... MAYBE EVEN MORE IMPORTANT WOULD BE THE NUMBER OF YARDIE ARTISTS HE HAS IMPRESSED, AND FROM THAT, PRODUCED. THE MASSIVE B CATALOG HOLDS BIG TUNES FROM MODERN DANCEHALL GIANTS LIKE BOUNTY KILLER, SIZZLA, NINJA MAN, BEENIE MAN, ANTHONY B, ELEPHANT MAN AND TOK, AS WELL AS ROOTS AND FOUNDATION DANCEHALL ARTISTS LIKE JOHNNY OS-BURN, BURRO BANTON, KING KONG, NICODEMUS, HALF PINT, DON CARLOS, LITTLE JOHN, TRISTAN PALMA AND JUNIOR REID.

THESE DAYS BOBBY CONTINUES TO RUN THINGS WELL HOT, OVER THE AIRWAVES OF NEW YORK CITY EACH AND EVERY SUNDAY NIGHT, AND OF COURSE BY WAY OF HIS SEMINAL MASSIVE B LABEL AND SOUND SYSTEM.

WHERE DID YOU COME UP?

From outside Philly… came up with a lot of time in Brooklyn.

HOW DID YOU ARRIVE AT THE POINT YOU’RE AT NOW – WHERE YOU’RE ABLE TO WORK WITH ARTISTS LIKE BOUNTY KILLER, JOHNNY OS-BURN, ELEPHANT MAN, LEXXUS… HOW DID YOU PAY YOUR DUES AND EARN YOUR CREDIBILITY AS A PRODUCER?

I think by doin’ some good remixes by reggae and dancehall artists. That made artists in general take an interest in some of my works, and they would give me a shot an’ voice for my label. In the beginning it was more of the veteran and local NY artists wanting to get down with me… and they knew I was gonna pay them – I could not be a Yankee begging freeness…

I met Bounty pretty early in his career an’ we clicked pretty good. And I think he liked workin with different people, an’ givin different producers a try – such as myself – an’ see what we would do with his song, from a dancehall and remix point.

Now Elephant – I met him before he bust… I was voicin’ him on dub. So I checked for him before him bust an he still checks for me now that he is a top artist – I respect him for that!!! Lexxus knew of me already… Massive B done bust long time an I jus ask him to voice. Usually if you ask a man to voice it’s a couple things involved: do you an the artist have a vibe, does the artist like the track, does the artist like the $$$ you payin’… If you see who I voice, that’s who vibin with me. I don’t really run down artists anymore… If they never want to voice for me… it’s not my nature to run people down…

WAS THERE A PARTICULAR TUNE THAT YOU PRODUCED WHERE YOU FELT LIKE YOU HAD REALLY TURNED THAT CORNER?

Nothin in particular… I always felt I had a pretty good ear.

Anyway I am probably in this for life. I always wanted to build a catalog an establish longevity in the business… I have always been in the streets – I still go collect money in the streets. This is a very self-contained, independent business… If you can’t handle it, you like most people who come and go. Like one thing – you could have a big record in Yard but they don’t really check it elsewhere, and vice versa. Something big in Japan may only be big there.

I jus love the music an doin’ my thing… I don’t claim no title…

WHEN DID YOU LINK WITH JABBA?

I linked with Jabbs around 1992, met him inna dance. He was a teenager… I kept runnin’ into him. I was jus doin’ my thing an startin’ Massive B Sound. I wanted to develop a crew – like a Stone Love… it is very hard to get your props as a sound from NY.

But we worked hard and paid ‘nuff dues. Weathered our storms an things have become very successful over the last 6 years. Jabba has been a leading mic man and is established throughout the world in the reggae community. He has also been a top promoter over the last 3 years, and has worked by my side on the radio for the last 9 years. He is like a younger brother to me… I am very pleased with his success and the future is wide open for him with his ability…

THIS NEXT ONE IS NOT REALLY A QUESTION, JUST SOMETHING I WANT TO KNOW YOUR RESPONSE TO. FROM TIME TO TIME, SOME PEOPLE WILL SAY THAT THEY THINK THAT CERTAIN MUSICS AND VIBES MAY BELONG TO OR WITH CERTAIN PEOPLE... INEVITABLY, SOMEONE HAS ASKED YOU IF YOU THINK YOU’RE BLACK... WHAT’S YOUR RESPONSE TO THAT?

Naw, it’s reality – I know who I am – where I’ve been, who I come from…

I come from love… I had, and still have my own struggles. I respect people and therefore I have earned mine. Yeah I knocked down certain walls but being a white man in America our complaints are so minimal to the struggles of people of color in our country…

Now as to the music side of it… I would like to think music should be colorless for everyone to love and enjoy. The problem is not directly music, it’s the business of music… the music business!! Where capitalist ideas have taken advantage of a lot of musicians an artists without proper representation… So young artists – get your own entertainment lawyer. And you know we could go on and on…

RIGHT… BACK TO WHAT IS REAL…LIKE THE MAN BURRO BANTON. YOU’VE BEEN ONE OF THE ONLY PRODUCERS TO REALLY SHOWCASE BURRO’S TALENT OVER THE LAST DECADE. TALK ABOUT BURRO FOR A MINUTE.

I met Burro like 13 years ago in a Brooklyn dancehall – the legendary Biltmore Ballroom. We linked an voiced some dubplates. After that Burro a still link me an want to voice for my label. Eventually we got into the lab and started vibin’… Well as time has passed me and Burro is like brothers from different mothers. We hang out in ‘nuff dances. I know his fam, he knows my fam. We is fam…. straight up.

On the music side, I always love the period of dancehall when a deejay was on the sound… One thing they used to say about Burro – call him Lyrics Banton ‘cause he still got a lot of wicked lyrics… an Burro got fans all over the world. We jus do the works ‘cause that’s what we do, and Banton come like my older brother.

YEAH MAN, ME TOO – I WILL ALWAYS LOVE THOSE SOUNDS LIKE JACK RUBY AND JARO AND VOLCANO.... BUT WHEN WE FIRST TALKED ABOUT THIS INTERVIEW, WE TALKED ABOUT THE AMOUNT OF HIP-HOP REMIXES BEING RELEASED LATELY, AND HOW THAT CONTRIBUTES TO DILUTING JAMAICA’S ORIGINAL SOUND. THEN I HEARD THAT JA RULE HEADLINED SUMFEST 02, AFTER WHICH THE PROMOTERS SAID THEY WOULD PROBABLY NOT HAVE FOUNDATION ARTISTS LIKE BURNING SPEAR RETURN... WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING? IS REGGAE DYING? IS IT ALREADY DEAD?

I think Yard is so influenced by cable TV and America right now that it’s like Yard has lost its own culture. The kids there wanna be rappers now… but I think there will always be a reggae base even if it gets smaller than we would like.

BUT IT SEEMS LIKE THERE ARE OTHER THINGS HAPPENING… RECENTLY THE STAR TOP 40 CHART WAS PULLED. THE STAR ITSELF REPORTED THAT IT WAS PULLED DUE THE FACT THAT THEY THEMSELVES COULD NOT CONTROL WHAT WOULD APPEAR IN THE CHART. WHAT’S YOUR TAKE ON HOW BAD IT WAS? CAN A REAL, ACCURATE REGGAE AND DANCEHALL CHART EVEN BE DONE?

Jus like any chart, business runs it. Jus like in America - CONTRAPS an SOUNDSCAMS… it’s all throughout the world. Why would Yard be any different? To really find an uncorrupted, unbiased person in the music business? Where?

SAD BUT TRUE I GUESS. BUT YOU HAVE STUCK TO DIFFERENT GUNS IN YOUR TIME AND WORK… FOR EXAMPLE, ON THE HOT 97 WEBSITE, YOU’RE QUOTED AS SAYING “WITH ALL THE HYPE, I JUST WANT TO PROMOTE POSITIVITY.” HOW DO YOU CARRY THAT OUT?

Well on our show we’re not afraid to say “We want peace and love in the streets” and “If you goin out, hold your head… if someone bumps you, brush it off.”

We ARE role models, to ‘nuff kids. Like it or not, they check for us!!! There is already too much lies, an fake things goin’ on, an killing… We don’t need to glorify that. We can entertain – have fun and still try to push a positive message. Love and peace, even if not too many of my hip-hop crew will say it…

One thing – we in the streets playin’ dances… from little gangster clubs to nice rich spots. But either way, gun shots don’t have no name – anyone can catch it. Our entire community needs more positivity… so we definitely want to be positive!!!

YEAH A LOT OF THAT CAME THROUGH ON THAT DUB ORGANIZER REFIX YOU DID… LIKE “MR. SHOTTAMAN” FROM CHRONICLE. WICKED TUNE, MAN… SO RIGHT NOW (AT THE TIME OF THIS INTERVIEW) PENNACILLEN SHOTS IS THE MOST CURRENT RELEASE FROM THE MASSIVE B LABEL, FOLLOWING ALL THE BIG TUNES ON THE DUB ORGANIZER REFIX AND THE ROCK (AVAILABLE ON THE MASSIVE B LP/CD: “DUB ORGANIZER MEETS THE ROCK”) WHAT CAN WE LOOK FOR NEXT?

VP is about ready to put out the Pennacillen CD/LP. And I jus finished a relick of the Tempo – should be out in October 2002. That one will have King Kong, Sizzla, Anthony B, Elephant Man, Burro, Nicodemus, Steve Machete, Chronicle, an [Xxxx X] with [Xx Xxxx] – doin’ a [Xxxxx Xxxx] Remix – I got a accapella… sounds wicked.

WELL YOU KNOW WE’LL BE LOOKIN’ IT UP… THANKS MUCH FOR THE TIME, AND OF COURSE FOR ALL THE TUNES OVER THE YEARS… RESPECT DUE, YOU KNOW?

Thanks for the check… Bless up.

FOR MORE INFO ON BOBBY KONDERS, THE MASSIVE B LABEL OR SOUND SYSTEM, TELL THEM VAPORS SENT YOU AT WWW.MASSIVEB.COM . OR IF YOU’RE LUCKY ENOUGH TO BE IN THEIR REGION, TUNE IN TO HOT 97 – WQHT 97.1 FM – EVERY SUNDAY NIGHT FROM 10:00PM-1:00AM TO CATCH BOBBY AND JABBA INSIDE THEIR LEGENDARY RADIO SHOW “ON DA REGGAE TIP.”
July 20, 2004 04:10PM
I see that, GG. What I don't see is how does one exclude another. There's loads of stuff on BAF board that I don't check, but it never bothers me. I'll just give stuff a quick look and if I'm not interested I'm on to the next thread. And quite often I run into all sorts of informative or just plain discussion which I never would have thought of maself. So what I'm saying is enjoy the diiversity and read between the lines where necessary. Free your mind and your ass will follow as George Clinton woul say.

One love,

Rootz
TR-808
July 20, 2004 04:12PM

No doubt about it, the man is a living legend. From his role in Bob Marley’s early recordings to building the mighty Soul Syndicate and eventually touring the world with artists like Big Youth and Peter Tosh, the man has lived the life of a champion reggae musician.

George “Fully” Fullwood grew up in the Kingston, JA ghetto of Greenwich Farm, an area that would come to be known for diamond-hard, definitive roots reggae works from artists like Tappa Zukie, Cornell Campbell, Rod Taylor, Earl Zero, Prince Alla, and more, along with producers like Bertram Brown and the ever-prolific Bunny “Striker” Lee. As the bassist, and founder of the number one session band in Jamaica – the Soul Syndicate – Fully was right in the heart of the reggae movement and was (and is) a vital contributing creative element in its development.

Possibly outshined at times by the innumerable singers and deejays it supported – and in some cases helped to build – the Soul Syndicate work history literally reads like a reggae hall of fame checklist: Dennis Brown, Delroy Wilson, Gregory Isaacs, U-Roy, The Heptones, Big Youth, Ken Boothe, Michael Rose, Sugar Minott, Keith Hudson… and far too many more to list. Still though, true roots fans and listeners know exactly how deep it is when an album credits musicians like Tony Chin on rhythm guitar, Carlton ‘Santa’ Davis or Leroy ‘Horsemouth’ Wallace on drums, ‘Wia’ Lindo, Ty Downie, or Keith Sterling on keys, ‘Chinna’ Smith on lead guitar, and of course, Fully as bassie…

Now located outside Los Angeles, Fully has recently finished building a 24-track digital studio of his own, where he is putting some final touches on a solo project. We linked with him there for some of the history inside the sound called reggae music.

Vapors:
The Soul Syndicate has played on so, so many records… Do you have any guess how many records with your work on them have been released?

Fully:
(…laughing…) No… it’s so much, so much my brother… I would just put it as a tremendous amount of songs. It’s a tough question though – over the years, playing since the late 60s… I really don’t know. Some of what make it, some of what don’t make it, and some of what is probably still in someone’s house and just don’t release. But there’s a ton of it…

Vapors:
Tell me about the first dances you went to. Who was at the controls?

Fully:
My mother used to send me to the dance, to buy curry goat… Back then, one of the first DJ I used to see was King Stitt. I think he was with Matador Sound. At the time, when I first saw him, I was kinda scared, because him had kind of a disfigured face. So it was frightening a little bit, and I would kind of stare at him. But away from that, after watching him for a little bit, the way him hold the mic in his mouth and would deejay… he was great, and everybody come. He get a big turnout there. So that went away, the looks went away, and I start get into more of him as a deejay… He was one of the first man that I encounter from way back, you know? Then a couple more people, then after that here come U-Roy, you know?

So that’s my early days of dancehall ting, and I like it, because sometimes when I was a little boy we used to get inside because we used to tell the gateman that we going to buy food for our parents. Them would let us in, and sometimes we get carried away and just hang out there for awhile, a little bit, and then start hang out beside the boxes, and the sound, man, the bass, was incredible… you know? Because these guys would have these boxes, big boxes that them call them “House of Joy”, with double 18-inch speakers and – oh man it was like thunder, you know? With all the horns up in the treetops and the high end all string up in the tree… the whole place would shake. You would hear it for miles, literally…

Back then it was very interesting, seriously, and very nice at the time, because you never used to have so much violence. Well you gonna have violence you know, but it was nice in a sense that you never used to have a certain kind of a violence… people could go there and enjoy themselves, and listen to the music, and you have a cane man come around with him hand-cart fulla cane and water coconut, and we’d sit out there people eating them cane and enjoying music, you know what I mean?

Vapors:
Right… true niceness. I wish I could have been there… But obviously things have changed, and some of the elder Jamaican artists have come up a little critical of the modern dances, or really the modern dancehall scene overall. What’s your sense of what’s happening in the dancehall today?

Fully:
Well here is something very important, that I want the kids dem to listen… that we start to learn to accept change. There gotta be changes, just have to be. We have these stages of life that we went through, the dancehall ting that I was talking about was so memorable, and have such an impact on us. Now, the music and the generation of youth change, and come in a different way, and see the music as a different way, for them, you know? And we, as the senior guys now, it’s kind of a shock to us to see how the music is right now. So we have to learn to accept what these guys are doing. The only thing I cannot accept too much is that there are some great talents out there, there’s a lot of great talent from Jamaica, but there’s not a lot of great writers, and not a lot of great arrangers, who can arrange the music in a certain way… the music is still happening – some of what I done from 20, 35 years ago – the riddim is still happening in a different way, still playing. And the new, modern deejay guy is deejaying on those riddims because those riddims was well done, well executed.

That’s the only thing I can see that these guys need, is to have some real, original riddim, that can come across like what we had before, that stand the test of time. We used to go in the studio, and we could sit down, had an intro, and have arrangement and certain lines going, certain basslines going. Nowadays you don’t really have that. More just a mashing thing, some motherline going, and that’s it. But that’s the changes these youth like! You know? It may be disturbing to me in a sense, when I listen back 35 to 40 years ago, and listen to the type of music we coming from… if I’m not thinking in terms of the changes, I can see how them get annoyed, you know? And that’s the great thing that’s happening [with the criticisms]. If we could get some of these great, talented young musicians to start learning, to go into the studio, and come up with their own ideas now, you know what I mean? Not living after our ideas that was there from before, because that’s how the music is fading. Because the people is waiting to hear something, you know?

Vapors:
Speaking of original riddims, what can you tell me about the story behind the Taxi riddim?

Fully:
Oh yeah, well here what happen – I’m just gonna quote this. We did seven songs for Blacka Morwell. Blacka call us one time to go to the studio, and we did those seven songs. And then, after we done working, dem told us that his aunt have some money in Trenchtown at the time, right? Well we went over to this old house, and he was sittin’ there waiting for his aunt, which was a lie – you know? These guys was really tricky guys – so we sit down wait. It was me, Tony [Chin], Easy Snappin’ [Theophilius Beckford]… and we were mad. Nobody couldn’t come in their house so we wait, and then all of a sudden him see him mother come down the road so him just took off and run over some fence and leave us. We never see him again.

Vapors:
He seriously ran and jumped a fence right in front of you?

Fully:
And left us there. We never see him again. I get to understand, and hear me clearly now, I get to understand that one of that song was the line that I play – which is called the Taxi riddim – for him.

I was in New York, at the SOB Club [much later, in the late 80s], when I was managing Andrew Tosh, and guess who come in? Blacka Morwell. Come with a piece of paper and say – and him talk funny – “wh’aapen Fully? wh’aapen Tony? Why yes ras me sue Sly and Robbie man, and me win me case, y’know, and me have dis thousand dollars, and member the riddim, the tune, the Taxi, man, ‘member how you did play the song…” and this and that. And him show me a paper, a contract, that say he sue dem guys, right? And him say there was some money, which of course we never get.

So there, from what I was told, was one of the song that we have done, which Sly and Robbie heard and re-did back over and call it the Taxi riddim. So I’m not maybe 100% sure, but that’s what I was told. And to be honest with you, I have heard, afterwards, I have heard the one I did for Blacka Morwell, and to my surprise it is the same thing.

So I don’t know… I don’t want to upset anybody, I don’t want to upset Sly and Robbie or anything like that but this is what happen, you know what I mean?

Vapors:
Well it kind of seems like that kind of thing happens all throughout reggae. There are so many songs and lyrics that are borrowed, or reworked or recycled from much earlier productions, from all those early 78s of gospel and calypso and mento that it’s pretty hard to know where some things begin and where they might really come from. Like how the Techniques reworked “Queen of the Minstrels” from Curtis Mayfield’s (or the Impressions’) tune “Minstrel and Queen”. It seems like some of it can get pretty crazy as far as how to track how and where royalties should break out.

Fully:
Right, right.

Vapors:
But anyway, I know these days you’re playing and touring some as The Fully Fullwood Band, still playing live shows all around these days, I know recently at least with Mikey Dread… what else is happening now?

Fully:
What’s happening now is I’ve been working with a friend from Brazil, Fauzi Beydoun, and produced an album for him. I’ll be producing another album for him sometime this year too. I’m also continuing to work with many Jamaican artists. Lately I have been working on my personal album, and I have to give my wife a lot of credit for that because she was the one who encouraged me and helped to make it happen. Where I’m coming from on this particular album is a little more easy, maybe more mature sound. I’ll be back to the hardcore soon, but for the time being, I love what I’m doing.

*Interviewed by Solid Rock, 2002.

For more of this interview, hit us up at info@vaporsmagazine.com. Or, for a direct roots connection, check the upcoming issue of the reggae zine ‘Full Watts’ where you’ll find the complete interview. Or, for more information about Fully himself, his band, tour dates, and more, check www.fullyfullwood.com.
Dub Soljah Vex !
July 20, 2004 04:27PM
For the board's sake...

WITHOUT ANY COMPROMISES, ONE GOOD WAY OF GETTING RID OF WICKED POSTERS OR WEBDUPPIES AS I CALL DEM IS TO REMOVE A.S.A.P ALL THEIR POSTS, BAN THEIR IP'S AND SO ON... BY DECISION AND WITHOUT MOTIVATING IT... JUST IN YOUR OWN'S WILL.
THE BOARD IS A MIRROR THAT'S REFLECTING THEIR .......... (everybody can fill in as they want)

SYSTEMATIC REMOVALS WON'T STOP DEM BUT WILL ELIMINATE ALL SELF-SATISFACTION... THEY CAN'T SPOIL THE VIBES ANYMORE !
AND HONNESTLY, IT TAKES LESSER TIME TO ERASE FOOLISH THREADS OR CLEAN UP MESSED-UP POSTS THAN TRY TO GIVE SENSE TO THEM AND RECALIBRATE THE TING WITH EXTRA UNUSEFUL POSTING, MAILS AND COMPLAINTS. JUST DASH IT WEH !!!!!!!!

HOW ? FIND IN SOME PEOPLE WHO ARE "IN THE CREW" AND START AN "ELIMINATOR" COMMON ACCOUNT THAT ALLOW DEM TO ERASE ALL WHAT'S REQUIRED.

THIS SYSTEM WORKED ALREADY ON ANOTHER WEBSITE'S FORUM... WHY NOT TRY THIS ?
TR-808
July 20, 2004 04:30PM

can we start by eliminating all your advertisements?
GG
July 20, 2004 04:45PM
TR-808

Manufacturer:
Roland

Model:
TR-808

"The Roland TR-808 is a revolutionary computer-controlled rhythm machine which offers up to 768 measures of programming at a time. In addition, this unit offers more percussive variations and more effects than virtually any other unit on the market. With it you can visualize patterns and real-time processing, program complete songs, and do just about everything else a rhythm machine should do with more accuracy and less trouble.

"Number of rhythms:
Basic, A/B x 12
Intro/Fill-in, A/B x 4
Rhythm and track:
64 measures x 12 tracks (768 measures by using 12-tracks)
Measure Divisions:
32 steps can be selected at maximum as desired
Sound Sources:
Bass drum
Snare drum
Low, Mid, Hi Tom/Conga
Rimshot/Claves
Handclap/Maracas
Cow bell
Cymbal
Open hi-hat & Closed hi-hat
Accent" (NOTE: Accent isn't a sound. Instead it lets you place accents on certain beats in the bar. All instruments playing on these beats are accented.)
[from Rolands promotional ad for the TR-808]

Who Played This Instrument?

808 State, Arthur Baker, Aurora, Afriak Bambaataa, Aphex Twin, Beastie Boys, Bomb The Bass, Chris Carter, Phil Collins, D.A.V.E., DDR, DJ Jazzy Jeff, D-Nice, Dr.DRE, The Drummer, Electronic Dream Planet, Warren G, Marvin Gaye, Paul Hardcastle, Whitney Houston, Jean Michel Jarre, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis producers, Tom Jones, Kleer, KLF, KMFDM, Chris Liberator, Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam, Midnight Star, Guy McAffer, DJ Muggs of Cypress Hill, N.W.A., Orbital, Panic On The Titianic, Plastk Man, Public Enemy, John Robie, Rowland The Bastard, Thighpaulsandra, XSUPERMODELS, Insom Shalom, Sir Mix-A-Lot, Skinny Puppy, Snoop Doggy Dogg, Too $hort The Troutboys, Mark Tyler, Uberzone, XSUPERMODELS, Yazoo

See? I can use Google too! Dub Soljah has a point....even some of my posts could be removed (I'm not proud of the nastiness) and I wouldn't mind so long as the rest of this junk is cleaned out too. Perhaps we could start with an obsolete noise maker called TR-808.
TR-808
July 20, 2004 04:48PM

Department of General Services (DGS), Telecommunications Division

California On-Line Directory, State Agency Information

9-1-1 Instructions Dialing Information 6/04-California Orgchart Agency Information Employee Information

State of California Agency Public Calnet
GENERAL SERVICES, DEPARTMENT OF
707 Third Street
West Sacramento 95605, P.O. Box 989052
West Sacramento 95798
[www.dgs.ca.gov]
General Information 916-657-9900 8-437-9900
TDD Only 916-376-5119 8-480-5119
Departmental Testing, Employment Opportunities, And Program Information 916-445-8590 8-485-8590
EXECUTIVE OFFICE
707 Third Street
West Sacramento 95798-9052
Executive Office Information 916-376-5000 8-480-5000
Director-Ron Joseph 916-376-5012 8-480-5012
Chief Deputy Director-Ron Joseph 916-376-5012 8-480-5012
Deputy Director, Legal Affairs 916-376-5007 8-480-5007
Deputy Director, Management Services Division-Jack Barr 916-376-5024 8-480-5024
Deputy Director, Interagency Support Division-Jacqueline Wilson 916-376-1938 8-480-1938
Deputy Director, Procurement Division-Rita Hamilton 916-375-4417 8-480-4417
Deputy Director, Real Estate Services Division-John Brooks 916-376-1900 8-480-1900
Deputy Director, Telecommunications Division-Barry Hemphill 916-657-9482 8-437-9482
Chief Counsel, Legal Division-Gary Ness 916-376-5100 8-480-5100
State Architect-Stephan Castellanos, FAIA 916-445-4167 8-485-4167
Assistant Director, Legislation-Douglas Hoffner 916-376-5032 8-480-5032
Chief Information Officer-Jamie Mangrum 916-376-5023 8-480-5023
Assistant Director, Public Affairs-Robb Deignan 916-376-5036 8-480-5036
Equal Employment Opportunity Officer-Kathy Miras 916-376-5123 8-480-5123
TDD Only 916-376-5119 8-480-5119
FAX-Executive Office 916-376-5005 8-480-5005
FAX-Bid Protests 916-376-5088 8-480-5088
FAX-Equal Employment Opportunity Office 916-376-5118 8-480-5118
AUDIT SECTION
707 Third Street
Chief-Rick Gillam 916-376-5058 8-480-5058
OFFICE OF RESEARCH, PLANNING & MEASUREMENT
707 Third Street
Chief-Jan Sutton 916-376-5067 8-480-5067
OFFICE OF ADMINISTRATIVE HEARINGS
560 J St., Suite 300
Sacramento 95814-2326
Director-Ron Diedrich 916-445-4926 8-485-4926
OFFICE OF TECHNOLOGY RESOURCES
707 Third Street
Chief-Jamie Mangrum 916-375-4805 8-480-4805

Select another Agency

Back to Top of Page

© 2003 State of California. Conditions of Use Privacy Policy
TR-808
July 20, 2004 04:49PM
TR-808
Far from obsolete. A legendary piece of equipment, more likely.

One love,

Rootz
GG
July 20, 2004 05:00PM
I wasn't referring to the piece of equipment Rootzilla.
July 20, 2004 05:09PM
If you want good discussion of reggae music, than start a topic related to such...instead of multiple threads of whining about something you're not willing to do yourself.
July 20, 2004 05:16PM
GG: No ****?

Chimino: straight to di head.

One love,

Rootz
Dub Soljah Vex !
July 20, 2004 05:26PM
TR-808 > with great pleasure... they are here to inform about Roots & Dub music going on... and if they are unliked here, responsibles can remove dem. I won't feel no way
Chimino > I did the job myself on another board that was attacked by fascist posters during some days and it worked. But it was just a proposition aiming at the heart of their desire... making scandal. But I might be wrong or excessive... anyway the idea was given for free... take it or throw it !

Guidance...
July 20, 2004 05:46PM
Most of us don't have time to sift through all this bulls**t like the trolls. It's not that we don't like diversity, it is that this board had a familiarity and flow to it that was easy to digest. Now you throw all this other crap in and suddenly it's not worth the energy. I could give a rats ass if they know something or not. That's not the point. I agree with GG 100%, although I don't agree with her methods. Can everyone just chill? If you don't have anything positive to offer, try not to fight others.
July 20, 2004 08:09PM
"Due to political fiction/due to political fiction/Nuff man gone in a different direction/Them gone in a different segregation.

July 26th
TR-808
July 20, 2004 08:19PM

"played by downbeat alone..."

yeah you missed it
July 20, 2004 09:29PM
"It's not that we don't like diversity, it is that this board had a familiarity and flow to it that was easy to digest. Now you throw all this other crap in and suddenly it's not worth the energy."

I'm not saying it's your fault, obviously BaAFsters started it, but some peeps on this boards certainly took it to next level (downwards). In effect the scratching just worsened the itch. But Understand this to be an open forum, so even if it feels like your living room, it's more like a pub: you might not like everyone there, but unlike in your home, you can't just tell the annoying people to leave. Such is just the nature of these forums. I'm just amazed at the whole thing, really.

"If you don't have anything positive to offer, try not to fight others."

On the spot. I guess the whole thing is mostly just a bit of a joke gotten badly out of hand... Misplaced humor not meeting the audience expectations kinda thing...

One love,

Rootz
July 20, 2004 10:13PM
Yes Mr 808, luckily NY is one 5-hr flight away via Jet Blue. Next date with Tony Screw and I am deyah....

"2-to-1, still going strong...."
TR-808
Re: This site is over run with crybabies
July 21, 2004 06:04AM

> Next date with Tony Screw

hopefully riding west again soon...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login