Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Removed posts

Posted by Daniel 
Removed posts
July 21, 2004 03:09PM
Several disrepectful and offensive posts by the same auther have just been removed. In response, another disrepectful and offensive post was sent out.

If you continue this conduct (you know who you are), the next deletion will include all posts by this individual, and he will be banned from posting here again
jbwelda
Re: Removed posts
July 21, 2004 05:27PM
another chico undergrad student, special education branch. here comes the short bus!

one love
jah bill
July 21, 2004 05:34PM
The bus has left, taking freakydeaky with him.

freakydeaky, there is nothing that stops you from coming back with another username. But if you choose to do so, and continue with your disrepectful and offensive posts, I will ban that name as well.
Irie_i
July 21, 2004 09:02PM
freedom of speech does not apply to message boards..
July 21, 2004 10:25PM
freedom of speech also does not apply to yelling "fire" in a theatre.
Irie_i
July 22, 2004 07:36AM
haha. Yeah but you cant put people in physical harm on a message board...like creating a riot in the theatre.
ureek-a dub
July 22, 2004 11:03AM
Ya know what, The people who maintain this message board have the RIGHT to erase anybody inmature, negative, ignorant or stupid comments they want to. Opinions are great, but you can do give an opinion and still keep it positive. We don't need to act like a bunch of children or polititions.
July 22, 2004 11:24AM
Well said...I agree.
jbwelda
July 22, 2004 11:43AM
yep ureek, thats right. this isnt a public forum, its a private one and if the operators want to remove a post, its well within their rights to do so. or shut the whole thing down if they want. we (virtually) exist at their pleasure. its not a freedom of speech issue just like a newspaper aint. just because you write something doesnt mean they (a newspaper) has to print it.

one love
jah bill
Irie_i
July 22, 2004 02:21PM
How is this not public? Everyone can view it...you dont have to SIGN UP to post here. I dont care that they erase posts, but who cares about stupid message board posts. If people just ignored them then they wouldnt be there. This is a public forum until the admin. starts making people sign up with email address. Jah Bill seems to be the "know it all" of everything so maybe I am wrong.
jbwelda
July 22, 2004 02:36PM
yes i am the know it all of everything, thanks for recognizing that. heres how its not public: someone pays for it and maintains it for the purpose (primarily) of the sierra nevada world music festival. you are free to go out and create and maintain your own message board and allow anything on it you like but its still not "public" in the "free speech" context.

just let me know if you have any other questions that i can help with. im not a lawyer but i once took a "freedom of the press" class in jr high school.

one love
jah bill
July 22, 2004 02:46PM
When it comes to Free Speech, the law distinguishes between "public" and "private" regulation of speech. In that context, "public" refers to the government, because the constitution only protects individuals from violations by the government.

So the government can't prevent you from getting on your 'soap box' in the middle of the park to chant down Bush or Capitalism. That's because freedom of speech is protected under the First Amendment, and a park is a government-owned "public" area.

Your back yard and this forum are private property. You may allow people into your back yard, just like the promoters of this festival allow us into this Forum. But if you don't like the Bush-bashing or put-down of capitalism that someone in your back yard is chanting, you have the absolute right to 'kick that person out', fence your back yard, or pave it over. So too, Warren and Gretchen have the right to kick anyone of us out, make this forum 'private - by subscription only', or to remove it entirely.

It's a vastly over-simplified explanation of what you would spend a year studying if you had the misfortune of attending law school......
Irie_i
July 22, 2004 05:51PM
JB welda...what reggae singer is Arsenal fan through and through and sings the Arsenal anthem?
July 22, 2004 06:52PM
Good to see someone retains all of that freedom of speech information D! I wasn't sure it all still existed after hearing about Linda Rhonstadt getting rushed off the stage in Vegas for telling people to go see Moores 9/11 film! you can say whatever you want in my backyard. let me know if you get up this way anytime soon!
jbwelda
July 22, 2004 08:48PM
that whole ronstadt deal is ridiculous. but now the new buyer of the joint (its in bankruptcy i believe) has promised michael moore AND linda ronstadt that they can come there and sing "america the beautiful" as soon as he takes over!

one love
jah bill
July 22, 2004 09:57PM
Looks like Irie I has got the annoying thorn that was stuck in my butt stuck in his. I'm happy to be rid of it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login