Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

After seeing Barrington Levy the other week.......

Posted by rustfan 
rustfan
After seeing Barrington Levy the other week.......
July 26, 2004 04:07PM
I think he's fairly overrated...... sure he's got some nice tunes - but overall, he seems to be more more poppy than reggae. Of course, I do like plenty of his earlier works. But wen he did a reworking over 50cent's "In The Club" - ewww, that was painful!!

And that trademark yoddle/scat thing he does......it don't help. At least he's gotten rid of that Dr Seuss hat. Reminded me of Aswad - using hats to create an image.

On the opposite end of rating an artist - the same day, Yami Bolo did about a 45 minute set and he was incredible. Well above average in the voice catagory - and beyond the realms of sensational with his lyrics!! When he did "The Puppet Master" - that shoulda been entered into the reggae hall of fame.

Strange to see how certain artists get the play, while others do more with less and don't see the massive rush the stage.
jbwelda
Re: After seeing Barrington Levy the other week.......
July 26, 2004 04:32PM
i agree on the yami bolo front and dont think he gets the proper respect around snwmf. if you ask me he needs to be on in the evening or in the dancehall. the guy has practically an unbroken string of great singles, even if his lps typically leave something to be desired. nice lyrics and great delivery inna waterhouse style.

cant say as i agree about barrington levy. still one of my favorite singers.

one love
jah bill
July 26, 2004 04:34PM
I like his sound-a-like, Chronical.
rustfan
July 26, 2004 04:58PM
Jah Bill,

Yeah - all around, very good points on Yami. A night show at Snwmf, yikes! The thing I really liked about Yami live - you could tell he was up on stage for a purpose & (without sounding trite) he meant what he was singing. Seemed very sincere.

It's not so much his voice - it's the yoddle/scat thing he does too much - at least when I've seen him. Half his set is ok, but he can reach to a degree of pop that disappoints me. But as it goes - we all have our own tastes for reggae music.

RF
July 27, 2004 01:16PM
many artist don't get the love they deserve, but I think in time they will. For some it comes with one hit, while others do it by building a fan base, which is usually the strongest way to go. I am not familiar with yami bolo but will check him out when he comes my way. but, I am with the others about barrington levy. I just saw him for the second time, while I was in Hawaii...he fueled the whole crowd into a dancing frenzy and it was great. I could do without the overextended music/crooning solos that many artists abuse (Eek-a-mouse!!)
Fish
July 27, 2004 02:42PM
Rustfan, I think you should probably check for some of Barrington's late 70s and early 80s recordings - he first earned his fame on the basis of those tunes. I've only seen him perform once, at last year's SNWMF, and I wasn't particularly impressed. Too much asking the audience to sing along, too much rock-star business, too many hip-hop samples . . . but go listen to a tune like "Hunter Man" or "Love Of Jah" and you'll find them as far from "poppy" as it's possible to get . . .
rustfan
July 27, 2004 03:39PM
Hail Fish,

Thanks for you response - yes, you mighta missed it in my first post - I did say:
"Of course, I do like plenty of his earlier works"

Levy's tunes like "The Winner" "Help Me Jah" "Jah Is With Me" - and later cuts "Murderer" and even "Living Dangerously" are top notch songs......love em in fact.

Your words: "too much rock-star business, too many hip-hop samples" is the type of thing that got me shaking my head in the negative sense.

I really think he's got a lota good songs in him, but maybe he see's the crowd respond better when the beat gets jumping more hip-hop/r&b stylee - and off he goes.

But what the bleep do I know about what the people want - at the show I'm talking about - everytime an artist came out and started doing the boogy down thing, people rushed the stage and went wild. When an artist went into a deeper reggae trance vibe, the people scampered off to the snack stand........

Then again, this is Southern California we're talking about.......
July 29, 2004 10:10PM
BARRINGTON IS DEFINATELY PAST HIS PRIME THATS WHY HE'S TRYING NEW BEATS, I HAVE AN OLD BARRINGTON MEETS FRANKIE PAUL WHICH IS A CLASSIC SESSION OF TWO GREAT CROONERS, TUNES LIKE YOU SAY YOU LOVE ME,ZUGUZAGGAZUGGUGAZUNGZUNGZEN IS ONE OF LEVY'S BEST AND PRISON OVAL ROCK ETC. YAMI IS THE NEXT WATERHOUSE STUD, GIVE HIM TIME ONLY THE MORE KNOWLEDGEABLE PEOPLE APPRECIATE THIS GUY,WHAT ABOUT THAT GUY ABIJAH HE'S NICE TOO.
pat
July 30, 2004 06:48AM
rustfan.. I agree with you. Yami has skills... both his voice and songwriting.

dont get me wrong, barrington has much talent as well. but his yoddle (whoaaoooaaa etc...) gets on my nerves. thats just my opinion. obviousy, some people love it to me it gets kind of annoying..
anyways, both great artsits!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login