Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Confused about ROTR

Posted by reggaegal 
Confused about ROTR
February 22, 2007 06:34PM
So, I never heard about that festival, Reggae Rising. So the deal is that it's the same weekend as ROTR, but at a different location? Hmmm...whats good with ROTR? Because Reggae Rising already has a line-up and selling tickets.
Re: Confused about ROTR
February 22, 2007 06:38PM
short version. ROTR imploded, People Productions and the Mateel split. Mateel owns the rights to the name ROTR. People Productions apparently has rights to the land so they are doing a new Festival Reggae Rising. This is all still in dispute so both festivals are moving forward as if they were going to take place. They are scheduled for the same weekend in the same location at this point. More to come.
February 22, 2007 06:44PM
Damn. So right now everything is up in the air. Well tickets for ROTR go on sale March 1st and Reggae Rising tix go on sale also, so Im not sure who to buy it from. Ya know?
February 22, 2007 06:48PM
February 22, 2007 06:49PM
personally i wouldnt do anything about it before the smoke clears because one of the two is doomed to not really happen; imo both may not happen. at any rate its unlikely that either would sell out anytime soon.

be sure to get your ticket for snwmf 07 because that *will* happen, and we may announce some artists youve (reggaegal) mentioned youd love to see.

one love
jah bill
February 22, 2007 06:50PM
Dont buy either until this is settled!

The court date is MArch 6th I believe, after that the county planning comitee has to determine who will get a permit.

My biggest fear is that the Mateel will win the court decision, but PP and Company will use their respective weight to keep the comittee from giving ROTR the permits.

So there is a chance that there will be no festival whatsoever...

Respect Same Way
February 22, 2007 06:50PM
they aleady are on sale, RR that is. I would not buy anything until it is resolved. Wait and see. Like the Reggae Rising line up so far though
February 22, 2007 06:59PM
Coo....apprecitate the feedback. Thanks. Im sending out my check today for SNWMF. Line-up is looking good smiling smiley
February 22, 2007 07:47PM
Quote from Reggae Rising:
"There are no refunds or Exchanges. All Sales are final."

Reggae Rising
February 22, 2007 08:29PM
this thread sounds like the name of a new support group. the only question is where are the meetings going to be?
February 22, 2007 10:56PM
The support group is being held on the ROTR message board...
The whole thing is getting old!
I'm thinking of going to NEITHER this year...
I had a good run 97-03, 05, 06...
Thinkin' its FINALLY time to hit up SNWMF!
ODB
February 22, 2007 11:28PM
As bummed as some may be that this is all cracking up the way it is I am glad. Not glad that ROTR has met its possible demise, or that a new fest. is "rising" , but glad that something is going to change, it had too. and has needed to for years. All we can do now is support the direction we believe is right and hope for the best.

Upgrade your grey matter, cuz one day it may matter!
February 23, 2007 12:01AM
Bloodsucker vs. Vampire

DUB IS TOO DREAD FOR WORDS.... binghi2digi
February 23, 2007 12:29AM
................................or 2 festivals..........packed with 2 linEups, 2 miles away from each other, sharing 2 of the same days....

calling it the 2 FOR 2 REGGAE FESTIVAL WEEKEND.

COST: $200

i nvr been to reggae on the river.
supposedly we are booked for the non reggae rising one. or something.

February 23, 2007 01:03AM
People Productions are corperate babylon....trying to steal the show from a nonprofit mateel...it amazes me that people like us would be so easily swayed by mis information....

right now as we speak PP is trying to steal the permits from the mateel for rotr site..if this goes through then the lawsuites and restraining orders that would follow would ruin the show for eveyone concernd....all from greed...no one know how many millions have been imbeseld from rotr by PP and by them not supplying the auditors with any accounting and forcing a law suite they do not look inocent...(as well as the burgulary of mateel office where RotR databases were stolen)

so i have written a letter to the planning commssion for the permitts of RotR and i goes like this.....

People Productions 2007 Permit Violations
• Over Selling the Event
1. Event attendance exceeded counties maximum occupancy requirements

• Concerning Safety and Welfare of attendees
1. 2nd point of egress (w/o a 2nd exit attendees would be trapped in an emergency situation
2. Security (lack of competent security lowered safety levels below industry expectations or standards
3. Lack of available drinking water (the lack of available drinking water was border line disastrous, seriously jeopardizing health and safety of attendees)
4. Lack of signage (with a new venue and such small amounts of signage is a serious lack of planning, many people were unable to find emergency medical, bathrooms, drinking water, exits let alone entrances. This disarray caused many problems.
• Pollution/contamination
1. The East side of the Eel River on Dimmack ranch was home to a large percentage of the festivals campers. Without adequate facilities patrons were forced to walk close to .5 mile to access bathrooms & facilities. This created many makeshift bathrooms behind bushes and tents where hundreds if not thousands of untreated human waste was directly deposited in the Eel rives eco system.

It is this person's opinion (and the opinion of many others) that People Productions track record is not good, in regards to the counties permits office. And to try and steal Reggae on the Rivers permits from the Mateel a Non-Profit community based organization is a wicked and underhanded corporate maneuver. And anyone involved in this should not feel good about themselves

Sincerely

People who care about a quality festival

koastdog
February 23, 2007 09:48AM
Wow, I smell Poop in your DOG breath. Were you on too many drugs @ RotR? Don't be embarassed if you can't READ, ask someone who can. Safty & WELFARE?
Sorry, RotR is the safest place to be in N.Cali. on that weekend. You have helicoptors & landing areas, gators equip. like fire trucks, EMTs,etc... Do you even know how many fires, car wreaks,& other things the RotR crews were the 1st to respond to in mins., weeks before the festival even takes place. Dude? Drugs are bad. Maybe the Black Muslims can come up & do Security or the Hell's Angels there fun @ reggae shows. OH, People Prod. corp. baby. ?? Who the hell do you thinks been actively running the show successfully for 20+ yrs.? PP has been doing the PERMITS for over 20 yrs. how can they steal them? Permits turned in even after 1st negot. were un-successful. If you do your homewk. you would KNOW that FACT auditor never asked PP for paperwork therefor the papers were never there to begin w/. When later asked. The PAPER work WAS, yes! WAS PROVIDED & REFUSED by the Mateel @ 1st round negot. Get the TRUTH!

February 23, 2007 03:51PM
Sounds like a knee jerk defense of PP championgayl. You have to accept the criticism, because there is obviously reason for it if it is more than just one eprson. Three sides to every story, yes?

Peace

February 23, 2007 04:29PM
Oh NO there are lot more than 3 sides to THIS story! The drama keeps unfolding...
This is better than a Soap Opera (If you like that sort of thing)!
I keep from taking sides. However, I must say that so far ROTR seems to be more interested in the attendees. Reggae Rising has NO FORUM, whereas ROTR has the message board which allows people to voice their opinions whether or not they are supportive of ROTR! Furthermore, I have sent private messages to MCC board members, suggesting my favorite artists, which they fowarded to 2b1 Production's Boots Hughston! Looking at the lineup so far they DID listen to some of my suggestions! Mad Professor is scheduled for ROTR! On the other hand, I haven't emailed Reggae Rising, I will do so and see what happens. I don't bother to ask friends and family of the So Hum area about the FIASCO! Don't mind discussing on message boards, but people are so divided, I don't really wanna hear everyones spin on it in person! It could get UGLY!

Post Edited (02-23-07 21:12)

We cannot seek achievement for ourselves and forget about progress and prosperity for our community. Our ambitions must be broad enough to include the aspirations and needs of others, for their sakes and for our own.
Cesar Chavez
February 23, 2007 04:48PM
Ok, in the interest of Fair Play, I just sent people productions an email!
It is the exact same message I sent MCC, which they fowarded to 2b1.
The only thing omitted was the abbreviation "ROTR" which appeared once, I replaced it with the word "festival". We shall see what kind of response I get. I am hoping for the best, and giving pp the benefit of the doubt...
Time Will Tell
February 23, 2007 05:14PM
Champgyal sey: PP has been doing the PERMITS for over 20 yrs. how can they steal them? Permits turned in even after 1st negot. were un-successful. If you do your homewk. you would KNOW that FACT...............

If champgyal had been doing her homework, she would know that PP has been in existence for 12 years or so, so how can they have been doing the permits for 20 years...get the facts straight yourself...

And, a festival that grosses 3 million a year and makes essentially no money in the last two years is not a success, at least for the MCC, which owns the festival rights.
February 23, 2007 05:16PM
Its true PP came about BECAUSE of ROTR!
Not the other way around!
February 23, 2007 05:36PM
>Looking at the lineup so far they DID listen to some of my suggestions!

i suggest every day that the sun rise in the morning and the sun set in the evening. so far HE does listen to my suggestions!

what i mean is i doubt anyone booked anyone based on an email with suggested artists. thats just not the way things are done.

anyway best to you and hope to meet you at snwmf 07.

one love
jah bill
February 23, 2007 05:41PM

what i mean is i doubt anyone booked anyone based on an email with suggested artists. thats just not the way things are done.
Well, in comparing the lineups of SNWMF over the past few years with the requests made by the people prior to that festival, it would sure seem to me that the promoter of this festival LISTENS CAREFULLY to what is being requested, though I agree it takes more than 1 email to sway the tide towards an artist....Like Jimmy Cliff says "Give The People What They Want"!!!
February 23, 2007 05:42PM
Guess I am just OPTIMISTIC!
No, I don't think that an email ALONE means that specific artists will be booked.
The point was I got an IMMEDIATE response!

And yes, I do believe Jah listens to us when we pray for the Sun to rise and set!
So thank you! It was a beautiful Sunrise this morning!
February 23, 2007 05:54PM
>Well, in comparing the lineups of SNWMF over the past few years with the
>requests made by the people prior to that festival, it would sure seem to me
>that the promoter of this festival LISTENS CAREFULLY to what is being
>requested,

ok daniel, with that in mind, i will accept thanks and praises for being the sole reason for the sun to rise and set every day. i think thats worth a lot so im hoping my reward comes soon.

one love
jah bill
February 23, 2007 06:31PM
Then again, many of the "request lists" posted here read more like "reggae artist lists."
February 24, 2007 09:12PM
This pretty much sums up my view on this dispute over ROTR, I copied it from the SoHUm Parlance Blog, hope thats OK, if not sue me or hang me.

Mr. Greenjeans sey:

Did you hear the person on Thank Jah on Friday say she thought that the Mateel doesn't deserve Reggae because they don't spend their money the way she thinks they should. I say instead of letting Carol Bruno/People Productions/Paul Bassis decide if the Mateel should get any more money because of the way the Mateel spends it, Carol Bruno/People Productions/Paul Bassis and anybody else should go to the Mateel meetings and deal with it that way. Who are Carol Bruno/People Productions/Paul Bassis to unilaterally decide that the Mateel does not deserve money from Reggae on the River®? What some people seem to always forget is that Reggae on the River® belongs to the Mateel. Maybe, just maybe the Mateel's expenses are higher than they need to be. But do you ever think that the Mateel spent some of their money the way they spent it because Carol Bruno/People Productions/Paul Bassis told them over and over and over that the Mateel should expect about $250,000. In 2005 and 2006. Kind of like when you go buy a house. You buy a house in anticipation that you will be paid by the people who pay you and have paid you for years. It is really a very simple concept. The Mateel is run by an Executive Director (It seems that Carol Bruno/People Productions/Paul Bassis don't like that title but that seems kinda petty to me.) and a board of directors. They are required to do certain things and some of those things Carol Bruno/People Productions/Paul Bassis don't like (Visualize a Reggae on the River® audit and questions about why the Mateel didn't get any money for two years). The main thing here is that if somebody has a problem with the way the Mateel spends it's money then that somebody should take it up with the Mateel and not think that it is ok to steal the Mateel's main fundraiser. Isn't that what it really comes down to? Taking the Mateel's main fundraiser which has been it's main fundraiser for a very very long time, and changing the name and calling it their own and then saying that the Mateel does not deserve the fundraiser because of the way the Mateel spends it's money? Seems kinda arrogant to me.

Sat Feb 24, 08:53:00 AM
February 26, 2007 05:55AM
Taking the Mateel's main fundraiser which has been it's main fundraiser for a very very long time, and changing the name and calling it their own and then saying that the Mateel does not deserve the fundraiser because of the way the Mateel spends it's money? Seems kinda arrogant to me. -Grnjeans says.
FUNNY!! READ THIS!! Read the MCC 3(aka MCC Ex.Dir.-T) ?s to MCC on,"Where's MCC 3" on the RotR forum? (?) was asked,Did the MCC take away a (RotR) FUNDRAISING booth away from the SCHOOL KIDS(Save our Schools,SOS) inorder to additionally fund the MCC?-Champg. RECAP- Mateel takes the only fundraiser away from the SCHOOLs? Sick,sick!! No wonder the town redneck dislike RotR. Why financially PUNISH the schools if the MCC can't make $$ w/ there fundraisers? This is even MORE ARROGANT to me!

February 26, 2007 06:14AM
championgyal

Your arguments are probably hurting PP more than helping them. But your posts also remind me of the knee jerk reactions PP has been giving through this whole thing...threatening to sue people for slander... "let's have our own reggae festival!! We'll show them!!!"...etc...on and on...no objectivity, no diplomacy.

Personally, I think they should NOT have ROTR or RR this year, take a break, BREATH, and then see what happens.

Peace

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login