Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

He made me do it! white rasta part2

Posted by sillysquirt 
sillysquirt
He made me do it! white rasta part2
August 06, 2004 12:13PM
Re: white rastas (copy & paste)
Author: Rootzilla (---.elisa-laajakaista.fi)
Date: 08-06-04 04:32

My whole point in the oorginal discussion was this: If a religious person (as I still assume Steely to be, even though he has demonstrated his trash-talking skills more than his spirituality) says that there is no room for certain ethnic group of people in his religion, I see that as a fundamentally racist statement, not unlike nazism. This, if the said religious person also believes that there is THE TRUTH, which is the only way to salvation. So, if Jesus said "I am the way, the truth and the light, no one comes to the Father but by me" and I believed this to be the only way to salvation, if I were to say that that way is only open for white people, wouldn't I be a racist? And I think I would be equally racist to say "OK, maybe black people can walk that road too, but only on the side of the road, and they are certainly not allowed to lead the way, only to follow the whites, whose cultural property Christianity is. (I do not subsribe to any of the statements above, so please don't try to pin them on me). So, similarly, if someone believes Selassie to be the only true God, and says that black people who follow H.I.M. have different rights in the area of spiritual interpretation than whites who do the same, I call them racists. Possibly racists on religious principles, but racists nonetheless.

As for changing rasta, I myself don't see much difference between the black 'Jesus Dreads' of Jamaica, rasta doctor Bongo Hugh I's rejection of Marcus Garvey, Ethiopianism, and Bilble, some of today's rasta changing the concept of repatriation from a concrete move to Ethiopia to a spiritual concept, or a white, devout rasta arriving at his own interpretation of the meaning of rasta (and 'm not talking about someone who has dreadlocks and a couple of Bob Marley albums + a turban). If a spiritual movement is as open to contradicting ideas and beliefs as rasta is, it seems racist to limit that change only to one ethnic group. Jah Bill's comparison with Judaism is not very apt either, IMHO, because Judaism is a strictly formulated religion, rasta is not. So, if anybody's allowed to change the truth about spiritual fulfillment, then everybody should be allowed to have a go at it, regardless of skin colour. Who is fit to lead should be determined by the direction of the leader, not by the skin colour. That said, I'm not saying rasta should change to fit the expectations of the North American/European society either, I soometimes think Christianity is bending over backwards, trying to accommodate so much that is against the teachings of the Bible to fit better into society. I think rasta should lead rasta, and the rest of us can stand back.

My two cents, hope that clears what I was trying to get at. No disrespect to anybody's beliefs. If anyone's up to polite discussion, I'm game (although not for some time now, going to see a show in next town).

One love,

Rootz
Re: He made me do it! white rasta part2
August 06, 2004 12:15PM
How do you feel now?

One love,

Rootz
Sis April
August 06, 2004 06:00PM
The early christian churches have been bending over backwards to adopt just enough ritual and custom from the pagan nations, blended with a heavy dose of a bleached 'pure' jeezuz, to expand their churces since their beginning.
Look at Easter. This is an ancient pagan ritual that honors the fertility goddess. That is why we have eggs and bunnies, etc. So the early churches adopted an old festival day and added a dead man on a cross and called it CHRISTIAN. And the old pagan folks in the village aren't so threatened, this new religion isn't so different..."ok- I will profess the name of Christ. Now don't hang me." So the Inquisition moved on.
So that is why alot of folks have a hard time with the whole of G-D, JAH, the bible, christianity etc is because our modern understanding of these things have been cultivated in a field of delusion, false teachings and lies. Before one can embrace RasTaFarI one must seriously Un-learn all the 'g-dly' things you thought you knew. That is why so much Rasta'ness (?) doesn't make any since to folks...because you're still trying to fit puzzle pieces from 10 different games together.
On another note- there are many 'houses' within the Mansion of RasTaFarI. Some hail Garvey as a part of the Holy Trinity. Others uphold Christ as the Messiah. But the link between them all is realizing the Divinity of His Majesty Haile I Selassie I the First. Some think HE IS the Christ, some see that He Glorifies and Praises Christ as seperate from Himself. But that is a commitment most folks in the Ras Trod have made- to not let the mansion be divided amongst itself. And trust I... there is no outsider that can come with any fire to divide the mansion of RastafarI.
Another aspect that I don't see being honored or understood here is that every Ras will tell you that YOU ARE ACCOUNTABLE FOR YA OWN DAMN SELF in the eyes of JAH. There is a great amount of personal authority over your trod within RastafarI. So who cares if some man come saying that you have to follow the black man, any man, etc to JAH. InI know that JAH will be the only one leading I home to Zion. Any wise one knows that if someone say "the white man should not lead" or anything else that that is just some MAN's opinion. Rasta trusts his/her own connection with JAH in a true oneness more than any man's idea or view about the way things are. There are plenty of white bredren and sistren seriously leading some heavy works within this movement. Pity the ignorant fool that can't partake of their blessings because of his own divide heart. But see, that doesn't effect me so that is just ok.
So really- there are some great folks on this board and I know several of you have serious questions that you want to be addressed about RasTaFarI. I have tried to come forward with some of my ideas and answers but it appears you all are revealing in the internet hate fest too heavily to even hear. So lets just call a truce and start acting in a higher way.....some of the things you all have been typing are just straight shameful.
Especially the Ras' present COULD set a higher example. It's not our ability to avoid conflict that counts- it's how you work it out. Seen.
August 06, 2004 11:45PM
Thanks for a serious posting, Sis April. You make good points and even if I don't agree with every single one, your reasoning makes sense to me. A couple of stray points:

Easter is not only a christian holiday. It is originally a jewish one. But I do agree with the general point that today's Christianity is very much a product of European philosophy and culture.

"commitment most folks in the Ras Trod have made"

One of the important words being _most_. This is what I was referring to in my earlier posting: on almost every point considered central to Rastafari faith, there are at least two opinions existing within the movement, and that is why it is sometimes difficult to understand how some rasta have so very strong opinion about something that some rasta don't consider important at all. So I fully agree with you that the categories of 'conventional' religion are not very useful in trying to understand Rastafari.

"YOU ARE ACCOUNTABLE FOR YA OWN DAMN SELF in the eyes of JAH."

I wholeheartedly agree. I don't mean to judge anybody. I want to discuss and share ideas. And have some fun too winking smiley It is just that sometimes when someone holds opinions that seem to me might cause suffering or harm to another human being, the conversation sometimes gets heated.

One love,

Rootz

One love,

Rootz
Sis April
August 07, 2004 12:21AM
Blessed Love Rootz-
I see what the I is saying. Something to know is that a Ras will always be greeting a Ras with raspect and full acknowledgement. And more than that, the bredren are a bit smarter than lots of folks on this board because they don't go brawling over belief specifics in RasTaFarI with other bredren. Especially over the internet. Ya know- when they gather in number- as JAH say where 2 or more are gathered in My name, so am I"- the bredren draw some herb and the setting is set, the Spirit is present and the opening for reasoning comes. And THAT is when the smart men reason. In due time and in an upful spirit. in RASpect and with forethought and meaning. All must see that that spirit is just not present here and that is why this is all futile anyway. Also, folks are more likely to open up and share some deep spiritual loving meditation with you if you are showing a pure spirit of wonder and an ability to recieve. And anytime you are dealing with someone and what they 'think' you are likely not dealing with what is of JAH and HE thinks....and if he is of JAH then you should recognize and listen.
So stop the slackness already
August 07, 2004 12:28AM
Oops, double love on the previous post. One love and one love make two love!

I hear you Sis. I've been lucky to witness upful reasoning too. That's why this whole thing is a bit of a shame. And I agree, internjet is not the best place for sharing feeling, but I think we can still share Ideas and information.

One love,

Rootz
sillysquirt
August 08, 2004 12:40PM
your two cents makes a lot of sense rootz. I know you have a strong mind and a calm temper after all these threads. We have stayed calm and logical through it all. I wish others could follow in your footssteps. Getting angry is fine, just keep it civilized. smiling smiley
August 08, 2004 12:55PM
Thanks for the nice words, Silly. Although I can't claim to have stayed calm all the way, at some point I did gve in to the 'what the hel' attitude. Good were in safer waters (or is that mud?) now.

One love,

Rootz
August 09, 2004 09:19PM
I asked you once, I'll ask again: what exactly Am I in denial of? Can you actually add any substance to your abuse?

One love,

Rootz
August 09, 2004 09:25PM
No, I really can't you've said several times I'm in denial, period. Or are you worried that if you go to the specifics I could actually respond in some way instead of just trying to control my frustration with your negative, unconstructive style. C'mon, it can't be that hard.

One love,

Rootz
August 09, 2004 09:39PM
Taken a number of courses on the subject. Not enough tho', but I'll prolly take one or two courss this autumn as well. Ditto for development studies. You just can't fathom that someone actually has informed opinions that are different from yours, can you? If we could reason in a constructive way, things would be cleared, but you seem to refuse that. Will you now answer my question, knowing I've sat that class already?

One love,

Rootz
August 09, 2004 10:00PM
We have a different system for grading here, from 3 (excellent) to 1 (pass) with 0.25 degrees steps. I've completed a number of courses on relevant subjects (I'd say maybe 30 credits worth, although I don't know what that's translated to the university system of other countries, masters degree is 160 credits, so that should give you an idea) and can't really be arsed to order the transcript for my studies right now just to please you, but I'd say my average is around 2+, maybe a little higher. I really do know something on what I'm talking about. I don't profess to be a know-it-all though, but i do reserve the right for my opinions. If yours are different, why don't you spell out the reasons for it, rather than just accusing everybody who doesn't argee 100% with you of prejudice and ignorance. It's not schooling somebody when you tell them they're ignorant racists. Schooling is giving and sharing information.

One love,

Rootz
August 09, 2004 10:14PM
"from what I see."

And let me guess: you won't point one single instance of where you see it, you just make blanket statements you can't back up. I'm sorry but I see no way for progress here, as you just want to see your own prejudices of N. American and European people in me. May I just ask, how many white Europeans do you know personally? On the level that you could just show up at their house uninvited, for example? You have decided that I'm prejudiced, ignorant, and racist before knowing squat about me. How can I communicate with someone like that? Now (and for some time) you are the one who does not contribute anything but the same insults over and over again, you have no desire to reason. So I draw the conclusion that you have no answers to any of my questions, 'cause if you did, I'm sure an enlightened person like you would not hesitate to help me to see the error of my ways. Out for now. I'll return to these discussions when you or someone else has something to say other than 'cultureless, ignorant, prejudiced, etc.'.

One love,

Rootz
August 09, 2004 11:14PM
"I know alot of Europeans that I could do that. Thats what you don't know about me."

That's why I asked. This is probably the first time you've bothered to actually answer. Thank you for that.

"You tend to ask a lot of questions, dissagree"

And I don't see either of these things as a bad thing. I ask questions because I want clarification on the points where I don't initially fully understand the other person's point of view. The purpose is to gain more complete picture of people's views. As for disagreeing, yeah, I disagree with many things people say. I you have a problem with people disagreeing with you, I don't think there's much hope for discussion.

"and spit out a bunch of crap"

In the heat of the moment. I already said I'm not proud of it.

"twisting words and meanings around while putting words in others mouths. Things they did not say."

If I've done this, it has not been on purpose, and I do apologise. Could you please point out the points where I've done this in such a way as to warrant your view of me? We can then see how much it is a case of prejudice and how much a matter of misunderstanding or miscommunication.

One love,

Rootz
August 09, 2004 11:22PM
Just post the time and day, I'll go back.

One love,

Rootz
August 09, 2004 11:25PM
Whatever, then. These thing would be much easier live, much less room for misunderstanding, much more room for correcting them. Peace out.

One love,

Rootz
sillysquirt
August 10, 2004 09:09AM
steely, I think you may be confusing what bufo and rootz said, because bufo is the one with the comments that were the most offensive. Rootz was only rude to you after you started insulting everyone who was telling you to be nice, even though most of them weren't showing signs of misunderstanding, just a couple. You seemed to feel everyone was being racist after what greedy g said to you. I think everyone would have heard you more if you stayed calm and just rolled with the 'goofing' around insults of being big. (Not that greedy's comments were nice) I was really on your side for several days and liked what I heard until what happened in the 'is steely really jamaican' thread and after. You seemed to have lost yopur temper and can't cool off. Most of these goof balls are just screwing with you, you don't have to stoop to their level by insulting just as bad or worse. Mahalo for listening- sillysquirt
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login