Update On Legends of Ska Movie
March 16, 2007 05:40AM
Every now and then, I go to [www.legendsofska.com] to see if there is anything new on the upcoming film made over two nights in Toronto with
an amazing array of ska era artists, backed by a 12-piece state of the art
orchestra, live & direct before a happy crowd. Well, there's a fine
trailer you can see onsite, and every time I watch it I get reminded
the one nite I caught was simply the finest-greatest evening of Jamaican music
of my experience. This flick will be compared to 'Buena Vista Social Club'
and rightly so; I get the real goose bumps just watching the footage.

Artists include members of Skatalites(Masters Brevitt, Knibbs, Moore, Gaynair,Sterling,Chin,Sindreys and more), Alton Ellis, the late Justin Hinds(who
performed beautifully with Stranger Cole and Roy Wilson as stand-in Dominos!),
Prince Buster, Owen Grey, Doreen Shaeffer, Lord Tanamo, Patsy, Pluggy Satchmo, King Stitt, Derrick Harriott(!), Derrick Morgan, Lynn Taitt as bandleader(!!),Lord Creator, along with interviews of Dodd, Scratch, Toots, and, and....

It was two nights of triumphant masterful and heroic music, and this
is going to be as great a film(perhaps the greatest) of all films depicting
Jamaican music. I wouldn't tell you no lie...

Post Edited (03-16-07 05:40)
Re: Update On Legends of Ska Movie
March 16, 2007 08:23AM
Right on all counts papa ray...I can't hardly wait for this one...
March 16, 2007 08:23AM
Here's a sad story Ray (for me personally). Brad Klein asked me if I wanted to fly out to play records before the event and I declined due to "important" things I had to do all of which of course I've long forgotten. It turns out that, had I gone, I would have been selecting records for King Stitt, who was on the mic in the deejay booth I chance of a lifetime. Missed.
March 16, 2007 08:35AM
Stam and Mike, it's the truth, I did something I have never, never done before
in my life of going to shows, whether it was a Southern juke-joint or Carnegie Hall, until this evening: while Stitt was killing us with his selection between these amazing performances, I looked up, and said this prayer most sincerely:

'OH LORD, PLEASE DO NOT ALLOW THIS NIGHT OF MUSIC TO END!!'

Such was the state of my musical intoxication.

Post Edited (03-16-07 08:37)
March 28, 2008 09:10AM
Papa Ray,

Just read your posting from a year ago. Thank for your kind words. They gave ME goose bumps.

The Legends of Ska film is still in post as I struggle to raise the finishing funds needed to complete the project. If you know of any people ready and willing to put their money where their ska is, please let me know.

Moses

March 28, 2008 08:25PM
i'm dying to see this movie!!! NOTHING better than some old time ska and rocksteady. props to you, moses!

peace
shanti
March 29, 2008 01:34PM
The FINEST photo of Alton Ellis I've ever seen was taken by this event's photographer,Greg 'Locks' Lawson, and if I knew anyone w/ money hip enough to go for this, I'd send 'em your way----absolutely hands down the finest single night of Jamaican music in my life was at this event, and that says it all---even more so 'cause it's not like I start out as necessarily the biggest Ska fan in the world. But it was boss, boss...

Somebody tell somebody,damn I hope this flick gets a release...

Post Edited (03-29-08 21:56)
March 16, 2011 08:47PM
Ska never dies, nor does this film. http://kck.st/dKqhL5 I have stuck with this for more than a decade and am now using the crowdfunding tool, Kickstarter, to help kick start the project.

If you love original Jamaican ska, please assist with this project in two ways:
1. Tell your friends about it. Time is of the essence. We need to raise the finishing funds very quickly in order to get this movie out in time for Jamaica's 50th birthday next year.
2. You, yes YOU. Take the money you were going to use to buy another old 7" and use it to help fund this film. Then YOU will actually play a roll the making of a film on the origins of Jamaican music. Only $25 will get you a DVD, a digi download & POSITIVE VIBRATIONS!

Thanks for your time.

Moses
Producer of the film, Legends of Ska: Welcome to the House of Joy
March 16, 2011 09:53PM
http://kck.st/dKqhL5

Monumental project here!

All star band, all star vocalists, high quality audio and video - definitely worth $25

Maybe somebody knows somebody with money -

Pledge $10,000 or more

All the above AND drumroll please...... travel to Kingston, Jamaica in early summer 2011. You get down there and I'll cover the rest. We will tour "Beat Street" and visit original Sound System Dancehall sites while lodging at the low key Prestige Hotel. You will meet Ska legends Derrick Morgan, Stranger Cole and King Stitt as well as spend a night out in the country at the home of the great balladeer, Lord Creator. Cap off the week by chilling out in Negril for a couple days before returning to your home a changed person.
March 17, 2011 06:27AM
I remember seeing WINSTON BLAKE, the grandmaster of Merritone Sound and The Turntable Club in Kingston, standing in front of the stage with his arms leaning on the waist-high wall: he must have been at least 55 that year, but even after decades of running sound and being the toast of Jamaican events all over the world, he was wearing an excited grin, like a schoolboy at his first big concert.

Along with Blake, the expatriate Jamaicans of Toronto were out in force, especially that generation of folks who grew up with this music---I'm thinking now of the man from Kingston, of Chinese descent, looking to be at least 70 years old, resplendent in his silver sharkskin zoot suit and matching straw hat, or the woman of advanced middle age, also a Chinese-Jamaican, 'dropping legs' bettah' than anyone there, and giving the youth a lesson on the proper way to dance-----Prince Buster, magnificent and grinning...Derrick Harriot getting a huge forward from the women in the room as he sang 'Solomon was a wise man/but he never know the secret of a woman'...and they pointed to the stage and ceiling while singing his words.

Pure magic, I was simply spell-bound---as Van Morrison would say, and it stoned me.
March 17, 2011 02:31PM
For most of us this is the only chance to see Justin Hinds or Lynn Tait.

Or Skatalites with Lloyd Brevett on upright bass plus Rico and Karl Bryan and Monty Alexander and.......

Great to see the funds are up almost $2000 since yesterday.

Keep spreading the word.

Even $1 donations are accepted.

http://kck.st/dKqhL5

trailers
March 17, 2011 03:33PM

God bless my old friend Phil Chen !!
March 17, 2011 11:18PM
Mr. Phil was in the arrangement so sonically nice on banjo---pure rhythm in the ensemble.
April 02, 2011 03:25PM
On Saturday, April 2nd, at 9 p.m. central, I'll be devoting an hour of "Positive Vibrations" [KDHX 88.1 FM St. Louis] to conversation w/ filmmaker Brad Klein and to music by artists featured in LEGENDS OF SKA. I've got rare, scratchy vinyl in my bag, some glorious music by the likes of Prince Buster, Skatalites, Justin Hinds, Alton Ellis, Lyn Tatt & more.

Brad gives a great interview and if you have even passing interest in original recipe Jamaican ska, check it out. This film, as noted above, will stand alongside the most important films on Jamaican music ever done.

"Positive Vibrations" from 9-11 p.m. on Saturday nights -- streaming live at KDHX and available in the archives for two weeks following.
AJ
April 02, 2011 04:42PM
KDHX = # 1
Any type of music.
Thank you.
April 03, 2011 01:34PM
Here's my playlist for Hour 1 of "Positive Vibrations" last night -- my special focus on LEGENDS OF SKA with interview material dispersed + a whole heapa ska & rocksteady from the artists featured in the film. The program can be heard for the next two weeks at KDHX.org/PositiveVibrations.

Justin Hinds – “Carry Go Bring Come” (Treasure Isle 7" 1963)
Rico Rodriguez – “Rico Special” (Randy’s 7" 1961)
Don Drummond – “Silver Dollar” – Don Drummond’s Greatest Hits (Treasure Isle 1969)
Brad Klein – status of Legends of Ska [slated for release in late 2011]
Jamaican Independence Medley: Lord Creator – “Independent Jamaica” (Creative Calypso 7" 1962) > Derrick Morgan – “Forward March” - Tougher Than Tough (Mango)
Roland Alphonso & The Skatalites – “Full Dread” (Rolando & Powie 7" 1964)

Brad Klein – interview over Skatalites' dub - deep background on the film - the thrill of calling Alton Ellis
Alton Ellis – “Cry Tough” (Island 7" 1967)
Toots & The Maytals – “Six and Seven Books of Moses” (Coxsone 7" 1963)

Brad Klein – on Prince Buster
Prince Buster medley – “Madness” > “Wash Wash” > “Hard Man Fe Dead”
Prince Buster - “Shaking Up Orange Street” - FABulous Greatest Hits (Sequel)
Brad Klein – on getting Patsy Todd to do the 2002 shows
Patsy & Stranger – “Yea Yea Baby” (Island 7" 1964)
The Skatalites – “Dick Tracy” (Island 7" 1965)

Don Drummond & The Skatalites – “Green Island” (Studio One 7" 1965)
Lyn Taitt & The Boys – “Storm Warning” (Treasure Isle 7" 1966)
The Diplomats w/ Lyn Taitt & His Band – “Meet Me at the Corner” (Caltone 7" 1967)
Derrick Morgan – “Moon Hop” (Crab 7" 1967)
King Stitt & Clancy Eccles – “Dance Beat” (Clandisc 7" 1969)

"Positive Vibrations" - KDHX 88.1 FM - St. Louis, Missouri
w/ Professor Skank & Michael Kuelker [alternating] - Saturdays 9-11 p.m.
April 03, 2011 01:52PM
That was a good show Michael - Thanks!

Still some funds to be raised, only 7 days left.

pass it on.....

Legends of ska
April 06, 2011 02:01PM
Now we are in the home stretch to raise these film finishing funds! Don't be bashful or shy. Tell your friends about it and help us reach our goal.

Thank you to everyone for your support and interest.

[kck.st]

General Moses
www.legendsofska.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login