Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

please help me spend my money

Posted by dirtweed 
please help me spend my money
August 11, 2004 08:05PM
i have the opportunity to buy "from matadors arena" all three discs on cd. from the discussion on the BAF board sounded like a must-have? should i spend $50.00 for all three? (jahbill - if yer still there this is kinda directed to you - i trust your judgement). but any help is appreciated. thanks
jbwelda
Re: please help me spend my money
August 11, 2004 08:06PM
sorry dw, i dont know those releases.

one love
jah bill
August 11, 2004 08:13PM
$50 for three discs? Must be available in mp3 form somewhere, no?
JAHpumpkin
August 11, 2004 08:16PM
mi buy dem 3 CD from ErnieBreggae much less dan dat, sir, me tinks bout sven dollah each.
mi tink dem okay but nhat all dat amazin.
nah wort' spend fifty dollah pon dem.
TR-808
August 11, 2004 08:20PM

great material.. Ernie's sold out but dirty that price is high

they'll turn up again
August 11, 2004 08:21PM
$14.59 each + shipping &handling. i don't do mp3 (my computer literacy is practically nil). cds are on jamaican gold label. and i can't find the thread on BAF where they were discussed so maybe when the BAFfers get out of the pub someone there will have heard of them.
Novice
August 11, 2004 08:34PM
Here you go, dirtwee -

Author: Ringo (193.118.251.---)
Date: 08-06-04 10:25

These are a bit few and far between, but after a Daley selection at Penny's I'd like some more. Last night was spinning the Matador Original Classics LP, which is almost identical to the Heartbeat collection:

Lloyd Daley's Matador Productions 1968-1972: Reggae Classics From the Originator (Heartbeat, 1992)
Track Listing
1. Bongo Nyah -- Little Roy
2. Zylon -- Lloyd Charmers
3. Death a Come -- Lloyd Robinson
4. Let Me Walk By -- The Caribbeans
5. Sound of the Wise -- U-Roy
6. Repatriation -- Audley Rollens
7. Things in Life -- Dennis Brown
8. Owe Me No Pay Me -- The Ethiopians
9. Back to Africa -- Alton Ellis
10. Y Mas Gan -- The Abyssinians
11. Y Mas Gan Version -- Lloyd Daley
12. Cholera -- The Jesters
13. Take You Hand -- The Viceroys
14. Bad Name - The Creators
15. Uglyman -- The Scorchers
16. Deliver Us -- Blake Boy

The only others I know of are the three Jamaica Gold CD's Penny had. Anyone know where to buy them or of any other collections?

Reply To This Message
Re: Matador collections
Author: guy (143.252.80.---)
Date: 08-06-04 10:42

Ringo - I've got a fantastic tape of 90 mins of Asher G selecting Matador tunes - broadcast early 90's on a London pirate..let me know if you're interested in a copy.

Reply To This Message
Author: john (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: 08-06-04 10:43

There's another fine collection on JA Gold focussing on LD's ska productions called "shuffle n ska time" or something like that. Also vinyl wise a couple of nice comps crept out in the early 90's - "scandal" and "way back when"...

Reply To This Message
Author: Ringo (193.118.251.---)
Date: 08-06-04 11:29

Cheers John, I'll look out for them.
Guy, that sounds very nice, I'd love a copy.

Reply To This Message
Author: Fish (---.caltech.edu)
Date: 08-06-04 11:47

The three "From Matador's Arena" CDs on Jamaican Gold are superb, and have no overlap with the Heartbeat set. Ernie B's was selling them at bargain-bin price a couple of months ago, but I haven't seen them in stock since then . . .

Reply To This Message
Author: Ska Nick (---.range81-155.btcentralplus.com)
Date: 08-06-04 18:11

Guy- I'd like to trade you a recording of that Session also if poss?

Nick

Reply To This Message
Author: bmd (80.43.191.---)
Date: 08-06-04 21:09

There is also a Matador Ska era selections cd from ja. Gold. As siad those matado jamaica Gold selections are essential..

Reply To This Message
Author: El Rey (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: 08-06-04 23:42

Amen!
BMC
August 11, 2004 08:37PM
"they'll turn up again"

I'm not so sure about that. I spoke to someone that knows the guys of the JA Gold label personally last week (in their hometown here in the Netherlands) and he said that the releases are not repressed (or what is it called with CD's?) again. This was not the first time I heard that. Hope it's not true, but could be.

As for these three discs: essential! I've got 'm all and they're wicked, nothing less, but $ 50,- is pretty expensive. They're available in some shops here for 5 euro each (ie. appr. $ 6,-). Must be available at a cheaper price somewhere on the net (maybe the JA Gold homepage?).
JAHpumpkin
August 11, 2004 08:38PM
mi ave di jahmaican gold ones... mi tink dah jahmaican gold Bunny Lee rocksteady sets dem much betah y know, total mash up!!!
BMC
August 11, 2004 08:40PM
Btw. The majority of the releases on this label are very good. Some killers, some weak ones, but mainly pretty good. I own about 25 discs on the label, of which most where just 5 euro!
TR-808
August 11, 2004 08:52PM

this is a good set too

[www.rounder.com]
BMC
August 11, 2004 08:58PM
Here's their website (on which I just noted that their hometown is not what I thought it was):

<[www.reggae4real.com][1].html>

I think this site hasn't been updated for quite some time though.
Fish
August 11, 2004 08:59PM
First of all, Jamaican Gold is a great label who puts out obscure early reggae that nobody else touches. If any label deserves financial support, they do. The label also has superb liner notes, the best in the business as far as raw information content goes (sorry, BAF). So even if you have the opportunity to get them by mp3 or CD-R, I would go for the real thing . . .

The unfortunate reality is that, since it's an import label, their stuff can be hard to find. But if you have patience, it'll probably come back to Ernie's eventually, although probably not for only $7 or whatever . . . or you could just get one for now and see how you like it. If you don't listen to much late 60s/early 70s reggae, then the third volume will probably be the most appealing. You could also go for the readily available Matador compilation on Heartbeat, which has some filler and some solid material sandwiching six very, very good tunes. You could also spring for some of the other cheap Jamaican Gold material on Ernie's before it gets sold out - for example, the Delroy Wilson set and the last volume of Clancy Eccles "Reggae Review" are both great, and going for very cheap.

Hey Jah Bill, I've been thinking about getting some compilations of sappy rocksteady vocals and early "fast reggae" instrumentals. Any reccommendations?
August 11, 2004 09:07PM
great - i also finally found their homepage and i will order from that for a little less. novice - thanks for finding that thread..thats what i wanted.
BMC
August 11, 2004 09:07PM
The man I spoke to told that the current problems with the label (no new releases and not remaking old releases at the moment) are caused by the passing of one of the main funders and / or leaders of the company not too long ago.
jbwelda
August 11, 2004 09:15PM
personally, since these are ja gold releases, i would go to amoeba in berkley or sf or rastputins in sf and look for them. they probably have stock still from when ernie was wholesaling them, and they are probably less than 10$ each if you find them.

fish i dont know if youre joking but im not much for sappy rocksteady, but i think a look at the heartbeat catalogue might reveal some, particularly alton ellis material. also certainly trojan catalogue. but im afraid i cant recommend any particular titles right offhand.

jahpumpkin is right about the bunny lee ja gold stuff: that is golden.

one love
jah bill
August 11, 2004 09:54PM
"Author: Chimino (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: 08-11-04 13:13

$50 for three discs? Must be available in mp3 form somewhere, no?"

That's the way to keep the reissue market thriving, Chim.

One love,

Rootz
Fish
August 11, 2004 10:35PM
It was a joke, JB, although apparantly not a very funny one. I was a bit amused by Dirtweed's specific request for your judgement on the albums - you wouldn't be the first person I'd ask about early reggae, just as I wouldn't go to Penny Reel for recommendations on the latest bashment. In fact I was expecting an answer more along the lines of "Buy some Greensleeves instead."
;-)
August 11, 2004 11:10PM
i only mentioned jahbill because he is the only one i have had contact with (stay away from that zoki). i know others have vast knowledge also and as i learn more about y'all i can trust your judgements about music. i have to be careful what i buy because i ain't rich so when i hear of something good i like to get a second opinion. for instance - i purchased gladiators "trenchtown mix-up" based on another thread and really didn't like it.
August 11, 2004 11:14PM
Same thing, dirtweed, "Trenchtown" was a bit of a disappointment for me too. Not bad, but nothing exceptional to these ears...

One love,

Rootz
August 11, 2004 11:17PM
No apologies here, Rootz. Since the advent of CDR and MP3, new CD prices have gone up several dollars each....while the demand has lowered. Where is the sense in that?
VP's 2-disc Channel One compilation was selling for $18.99 at Amoeba. That's more like it.

Oh oh, speaking of Greensleeves, guess who started volunteering at KALX-Berkeley to maintain their music library.
Man, you would not believe their collection of GREDs. And sound system dances on vinyl. Choaa, soon to see day of light again, if all goes well.
August 11, 2004 11:25PM
My point was that the reggae revive labels don't exactly make fortunes for people running them, at least the legit ones. Steve, Bob and Dom sometimes reveal the sales figures for BAF releases on the board, and the math is quite simple: the most popular releases just about keep the labels in business, while the less succesful ones the label actuall ypays for. And I think it is in the interests of all music lovers that these labels stay in business.

"Since the advent of CDR and MP3, new CD prices have gone up several dollars each....while the demand has lowered. Where is the sense in that?"

You sell less records, you gotta make the same money from smaller sales. Sad but true. So, in effect, people who buy records are paying for the CDRs and MP3s of those who don't. (This applies strictly to the small-label game, I'm not defending the likes of Universal or something like that.)

"VP's 2-disc Channel One compilation was selling for $18.99 at Amoeba. That's more like it."

Well, I've heard it said that VP doesn't pay anything to the artists, so...

One love,

Rootz
jbwelda
August 11, 2004 11:39PM
vps 2 disc channel one comp is complete and utter waste of money. theyve reverb-ed everything like nobodys business and the mastering forgot the bass response. avoid this one even though it looks good on paper...or if you want i will sell you my copy because i will stick to my originals. even the song selection is weak considering what great stuff channel 1 put out over the years.

what "sound system dances on vinyl" would they have at kalx, chimino, and why would they put them on vinyl?

one love
jah bill
August 11, 2004 11:41PM
Is that the "Channel One Story" comp we're talking about? Also out on triple vinyl? If so, I've ben enjoying it quite a lot.

One love,

Rootz
jbwelda
August 11, 2004 11:43PM
thats probably the one rootz. glad you like it, maybe the vinyl sounds better than the cd; or maybe im just jaded growing up with the channel one sound in my head and greensleeves discos on my turntable.

one love
jah bill
August 11, 2004 11:47PM
yeah thats the one Zilla.

bill, every once in awhile a rub-a-dub dance is released on vinyl or CD. More recent ones were Sturgav in Brooklyn in 98 and Coxsone in Brixton in 86. There's also that Aces Int'l dance with EekAMouse, Toyan etc which is widely distributed.
I have a Stone Love one with Josey WAles from 89 on vinyl I picked up from Rasputins awhile back.

But at KALX they have a couple on LP which I guess were released in JA but I've never seen or heard of here. One is a Black Scorpio with Chaplin & a host of others. Another is a Jack Ruby with a yellow cover with Brigi and others. Of course, I'm dying to borrow them and make copies, but it's not allowed.
August 11, 2004 11:49PM
At least the vinyl has nice bass response. And I don't recall hearing what I'd consider excessive reverb on it. Can you name any one track which would be a good indicator of the tampering with the sound?

One love,

Rootz
Fish
August 11, 2004 11:57PM
Jah Bill, there are a surprising number of live soundsystem recordings that were released on vinyl, most of which seem to come from a short span of time in the "late early" 80s. Presumably they went out of style quickly because tapes give you more recording time and are more easily and cheaply distributed - even though sound quality on the vinyl releases is often much better.

I'm pretty much with Rootz on the issue of pirating. I buy a lot of stuff used to save money, and use mp3 to check out recordings I'm not sure I'll like, but I try to get things new from guys like BAF and Motion. They don't make a lot of money from what they do, and if everybody just copies their product, there soon won't be any more product to copy. MP3s have their place, but support should be given where support is due.
August 11, 2004 11:59PM
The Channel One comp...

Well, I haven't bought it for myself, but know a man in NY who was contacted by VP when they were looking for tunes to add to the comp. He was a sound man and disc-jockey on JBC in the 70s and used to get pre-releases straight from Channel One at that time. ANyway, he lost his collection in one of the hurricanes in JA, but sent them CD versions of tunes. We trade MP3, so I'm assuming he found them in that form.
Since VP is not partial, if the tunes sound off, it's because they reproduced at least some of them from MP3. Zilla what you said about VP makes sense, their piracy ways have long been trumpeted.
jbwelda
August 12, 2004 12:13AM
yes i know about (and have) most or all of those, chimino and fish, but i thought you meant exclusive dances that somehow kalx pressed on vinyl. im clear on the concept now.

one love
jah bill
August 12, 2004 12:19AM
JB:

Can you point out any one track which would be a good indicator of tampering with the sound on that comp?

One love,

Rootz
jbwelda
August 12, 2004 12:28AM
rootz i will have to refresh my memory on which tracks the obvious reverb was added to but i just listened to it on my way back from rotr and was again disappointed in what i heard. for one thing, as i recall, "hard to confess" by the tamlins (one of my favorite songs) dropped the king stitt intro (at least to my recollection) that was always a part of the song, and if you start with the first cd (i assume same as first lp) you start hearing reverb right away that wasnt around on the originals. i need a roof is one of the first songs i think and i believe its there, as on many others. to top it off they used a lot of space with lame songs like that "truly" by the jays and even included the (poor imo) dj version when they could have added a version of pretty much any other song to better effect. (actually i think the track list at ernies might be wrong...there might be a dub version to it instead of a dj but im not at home to check and my memory increasingly seems to fail me :-)...at any rate suffice to say i could have chosen a much better jays track than that to include.

im looking at ernies website now and i seem to remember major fooling with, for just a start, dont smoke the seed, natty dread have him credential, etc

and they just had to stick on that dillinger "cocaine in my brain" song that is SO lame even back when such things were not discovered to be the devils doing, etc etc etc

but like i may have implied, even crap from channel one is heads and shoulders above much other studios output that even with a not so great song selection this is still a good selection, i just have issues with the re-engineering and the missed potential...but maybe its just that im jaded. i will tell you this: all this stuff sounds much better on original release on hitbound etc or the uk equivalents on greensleeves.

one love
jah bill
August 12, 2004 12:51AM
I just took a little sample from the beginning of "I Need a Roof" on VP and Virgin 2001 pressings. The VP s a bit more compressed (less than 1 dB difference in the overall average RMS, hardly audible, but visible in the wave editor). It also seems to have a bit more treble, possibly at least partly because of the compression. But it also has better bass response, especially the one drop is much fuller than on Virgin. I don't hear any extra reverb on it, but there coul be some other 'finalising' processor in effect on the VP. Or it could be just mastered with more 'clarity'. Overall, Virgin sounds maybe a bit more natural, but VP definitely has better low end.

Yeah, I would get all of these on original pressings if those were available at prices withn the reach of my student budget, but unfortunately that's not the case. And I could do without 'Cokane...' as well. But that comp still has enough reat tunes I didn't have in one set to make it worthwhile for me: Ballistic Affair, Up Park Camp, Burial by Revolutionaries, Woman Is Like A Shadow, Dance Dis Ya Festival...

One love,

Rootz
jbwelda
August 12, 2004 05:14AM
like i said, rootz, im glad you enjoy it. perhaps im being too harsh or picky about it and truthfully thats what i think whenever i pull it out and give it another chance; but it always seems im disappointed. just jaded i guess. my original post on the subject was way too harsh though...

one love
jah bill
sillysquirt
August 12, 2004 10:04PM
It's so hard for me to find good compilations. I just recently got consistent internet access and sometimes forget allthe things I can look for on the net. I am disappointed almost everytime I buy a comp. I am still learning about higher guality compared to 'thrown together' compilations. Seems I have all of the latter. I am just really picky, there is so much good reggae out there I don't like wasting my money on filler music. I have the comp with dillinger's song too, I hate it! They stuck it right in the middle of the album and it ruins the whole vibe!
dirtweed
August 12, 2004 10:09PM
re: "cocaine" what about the groove corporation from elephant house mix? i think that is soooo much better than the original?
August 12, 2004 10:16PM
Overall I quite like the VP comp, thogh I think it's easier to ignore a couple of 'off' tracks on an 3-LP comp, as you don't necessarily play all sides in succession. Some of my fave comps are Sly & Robbie's 'Present Taxi' and 'Crucial Reggae' and the Grensleeves 'Dancehall Anthems' comps.

One love
solid rock
August 12, 2004 11:02PM

i really like VPs Channel One Story

some of the sequencing is funny and a couple tunes have abrupt beginnings but i think its a very strong collection

sounds pretty good to me too.. Paul Shields mastered it and his preference is a little more kickdrum than bass guitar.. i prefer it the other way but overall it sounds nice, fat, and hard esp big tunes like Sammy Dread's "Road Block" and Little John "Smoke Ganja Hard"
jbwelda
August 12, 2004 11:07PM
smoke g hard is one that is bathed in reverb that i dont seem to recall from the original.

one love
jah bill
August 12, 2004 11:34PM
"little more kickdrum than bass guitar.."

Theres more bass guitar too on "Right time" than on Virgin press (from one-on-one comparison).

"smoke g hard is one that is bathed in reverb that i dont seem to recall from the original."

What's your original reference, JB? JA original, Greensleeves original, something else?

One love,

Rootz
jbwelda
August 13, 2004 12:13AM
i cant think of my original reference right offhand but i think it was a jamaican or new york hitbound album, maybe one of those "showdown" volumes? if youre really that interested in will dig it up and compare it to see if my memory is incorrect on how it "should" sound.

one love
jah bill
August 13, 2004 12:45AM
Yeah, I'm just thinking that some stuff was 'originally' released as different mixes from the JA ones in the UK or US market as well, wasn't it? So maybe that could be the case here? And yeah, I am really that interested, but no rush, whenever you have time.

One love,

Rootz
sillysquirt
August 13, 2004 11:42PM
Is ernies the best price for all these collections? I have such a hard time finding the specific versions everybody talks about. I don't like paying more than 15 dollars unless it's collectable
August 13, 2004 11:49PM
Well, single LPs at Ernie's are usually between 8 and 13 bucks, doubles or triples (like the VP one) more. I don't know what kind of deals you can get in US, but Ernie's is affordable and fast in my experience.

One love,

Rootz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login