Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Midnite in the Bay Area

Posted by Chimino 
Midnite in the Bay Area
August 12, 2004 12:47AM
is about 6 hours away.

Damn you people, now you got me doing it.
J
Re: Midnite in the Bay Area
August 12, 2004 06:06PM
what is?
Ras-Mosis
August 12, 2004 11:09PM

Midnite the band, played in the city at Studio Z, which in my opinion is

a rip-off place to go see a show. First off, they false advertise in the SF

Guardian newspaper, even after I alerted them about the situation,they continue

to false advertise their ticket prices for Monday night Club Dread. They also

don't put the acts on tell way late, like 2am. I know they do it on purpose to

boost alcohol purchasing. What are people going to do, stand around and do

nothing for three hours, of course they will pay for the expensive drinks.

Last time I went there, I saw Half-Pint perform, he played half an hour,

his DJ brought in horribly scratched records, it was careless, and I felt truly

ripped off. I don't recommend wasting your money on a show there, it's

not even the place, it's the people who organize the shows.
jbwelda
August 12, 2004 11:31PM
i like studio z a lot. i dont think its them who hold off until 2am, i think thats authentic ja style all night show. you should try typical shows back east where nothing happens till 3am. dont know about this "false advertising" bit but for my money i would rather go to studio z than some corporate place like slims or the warfield. i also dont think it was their doing on the half pint thing but maybe they did set up the dj. sometimes their shows are pretty minimal but like i said, i prefer that rootsy feel to the coldness of clear channel.

on the other hand if i paid to see half pint and then waited around till 2am and then he just did a half hour over scratched records, i would be pissed too. i think i heard he was over skippy cds, but maybe i heard wrong.

one love
jah bill
August 13, 2004 06:16AM
What's the deal with corporate places bill? Who owns what?
August 13, 2004 06:35AM
They were skippy CDs. And $20 for a half hour is a rip-off, skips or not.
August 13, 2004 06:57AM
slims corporate ? i thought my friends dad owned it !
August 13, 2004 07:24AM
now the warfield, that's another story, isn't that a bill graham presents ?
August 13, 2004 07:33AM
Fillmore and Avalon are also ones to pass on. Studio Z itself is good, but the Club Dread shows of late have been a disappointment all around, given the reports.
I'll never forget the 4-hour session when the Youthman Promotion tour came thru in late '02 tho.
jbwelda
August 13, 2004 04:07PM
i misspoke on slims; apparently it is still privately held, possibly still by boz skaggs who originally opened it, and a couple of partners.

warfield, fillmore are clear channel operations. thats corporate.

i think avalon is privately held but not sure of that.

by the way, by "privately held" i mean by a few people/partners, not a big big big corporation. obviously the way im using it is not 100% proper because clear channel is "privately owned" but not in the sense that i am using the term (incorrectly but nonetheless...)

one love
jah bill
August 13, 2004 06:24PM
Interesting Bill. I was aware of The Warfield/Fillmore and Clear Channel link, but not the others. Thanks for the clarification. So who would not go to a show at The Warfield or Fillmore if it was a great reggae artist? Anyone out there that would put principle over performance?

fourtwentyplenty
August 13, 2004 06:31PM
Well, I can't remember either venue hosting one (except for the Warfield's shoddy version of Bob Marley weekend) so it's probably a moot point.
August 13, 2004 06:33PM
I remember the I-Vibes, Dean Fraser, Tanto Metro & Devonte and I think Toots and the Maytals a couple of years ago. That was the show I met Sis Adaria at. I've also seen a couple of shows at The Fillmore, but I can't remember off the top of my head performed.

fourtwentyplenty
Kind Herb
Start booking at the DNA Lounge!
August 13, 2004 06:51PM
Not sure if anyone on here is responsible for booking in SF, but if so please start considering the DNA Lounge.

It is primarily a Techno/Dance club, but they host every kind of music out there.
It has a great sound system and lights, and is my favorite club in SF.

The club is owned by JWZ of Netscape fame, and they broadcast 99% of the shows on the net. Every once in a while, you get some rockstar who doesn't want their show broadcasted.

They keep audio archives for 2 weeks, and you can check out photos from the event online.

Plus you can check out the flyer archive and see who has graced the DNA all the way back to July 2001.

[www.dnalounge.com]

I can't think of any Reggae artist who has been there yet, but it is never too late to start.

Peace,

Kind Herb

jbwelda
August 13, 2004 07:31PM
DNA used to book reggae all the time, i recall roots radic backing a number of artists there. used to be my favorite place. that was probably around 88 - 94 or so. i think as recently as 2001 i went to a show there but dont remember who.

one love
jah bill
August 13, 2004 07:41PM
He's talking about the 'new dna' Bill, I remember the old place, with the Hells Angels drinking at the bar etc, I used to love it. It's been completely renovated now, a little too glitzy for me, but as Herby say's good sound etc.
jbwelda
August 13, 2004 07:59PM
its next door to slims still? the sound was always good there before any renovations.

one love
jah bill
August 13, 2004 08:03PM
same place.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login