Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

reggae needs the horns

Posted by akee123 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
reggae needs the horns
August 26, 2007 01:33AM
Nothing frustrates me more than listening to potentially grat tunes that are diminshed by syn replacing real brass. Do musicians really save that much moey by having a synth?

Besides Burning Spear, Groundation and dare I say, UB40, who else comes with brass on tour?

Steel Pulse seems to have shifted from real brass which is a shame.

Cool Vibes,
Akee

Re: reggae needs the horns
August 26, 2007 01:46AM
a few artists I can think of who tour with horns:
The Red I band
The Abyssinians
I believe the Mighty Diamonds are travelling with horns on their upcoming tour.

and to answer the question, additional musicians on a tour can add to the budget, since not only do musicians need to be paid, but is also adds to meals, rooms, etc. and unfortunently, due to the economy and other factors, there's not as much money in live music anymore, hence artists who used to tour with full horn sections scaling back. Still, I agree with you 100% that a live horn section is far preferable than keyboards trying to handle the horn lines. Peace

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
August 26, 2007 02:11AM
Last time I saw Don Carlos & Clinton Fearon - both has great brass. Agreed, it makes a huge difference IMO.

August 26, 2007 02:13AM
forgot about them. Only seen Clinton once, but his horn section was excellent, as is don's every time I see him. Peace

August 26, 2007 03:12AM
Yes Don ALWAYS has the great brass section!...in SD smiling smiley

Post Edited (08-25-07 21:05)

www.myspace.com/sidewaysouternational
August 26, 2007 03:17AM
Even don occasionally does shows without horns though. I saw a video of a show he did in Hawaii a few months back that had his usual band minus the horns.

August 26, 2007 04:05AM
Celebrity Horns Rule I will say!
August 26, 2007 04:20AM
Blow hornsman blow, blow like you never blow before. But nowadays, you hear the horns less and less in Jamaican music.

Ever notice how current dancehall almost nevah, NEVAH have any
brass or reed?
August 26, 2007 04:23AM
"Author: Ras James (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: 08-25-07 18:46

a few artists I can think of who tour with horns:
The Red I band
The Abyssinians
I believe the Mighty Diamonds are travelling with horns on their upcoming tour.

and to answer the question, additional musicians on a tour can add to the budget, since not only do musicians need to be paid, but is also adds to meals, rooms, etc. and unfortunently, due to the economy and other factors, there's not as much money in live music anymore, hence artists who used to tour with full horn sections scaling back. Still, I agree with you 100% that a live horn section is far preferable than keyboards trying to handle the horn lines. Peace"

Ras James got it 100% right. The 2 major expenses a traveling band has are van rental and gas....petrol for the I-ropeans;>winking smiley...Van rentals start around $600 a week for a 7 passenger minivan @ 14 miles per gallon. 12 - 15 passenger will run around $800 and up with much less gas mileage. Gas is $2,50-$3+ a gallon. Add $10 a day meals, cheapest crappy lodging $40, 10-20% to booking agent, promotions. And these are pretty conservative #'s. Not to mention airfare if the band has to fly into the country. Spear and UB40 makes enough they can hire as many musicians they want and pay them a hefty weekly salary. But I do agree that nothing sounds better/nicer then real live horns. Lucky Dube also uses live horns with the exception of a show a saw in Santa Cruz where he had 3 keyboard players, his 2 regular keyes and a 3rd that stricktly played the horn parts. He had a high quality sampler with horn samples so real that you could hear the blowing instead of those screeching pre-programmed combination of low quality horn sounds usually mixed with a strings to 'beef' up the sound. Yamaha DX-7 got one of the worse synth horn sounds IMO.
August 26, 2007 02:54PM
These days regardless of musical genre, when I check an artist touring and
carrying some horn ordinance, I almost always compliment and thank them for doing so.
August 26, 2007 08:44PM
I can understand the cost of touring with a brass section. I find it doubly aggravating when studio substitute synth for horns. If the reason is cost, then they should do the calculations for how an improved sound would help to sell more records and thus bring in more income.

What got me going on this thread was listening to a Ziggy and MM concert from 1996 and thinking how much better the songs would be if he had brass.
August 27, 2007 12:37AM
WORD! Horns are crucial. A tuba on the bass line is a rude sound.
August 27, 2007 03:48AM
Not to blow my own horn (pun intended) Here is an exemplary taste of reggae horns!

[supertoughreggae.com]

It is a safe link from our Super Tough website.

Post Edited (08-26-07 20:56)
August 27, 2007 06:05AM
i wouldnt really say that the abyssinians usually tour with horns...
i am also mad that culture dropped their horn section over 7 years ago. i think they only had horns at ROTR after that. & clinton fearon only has a sax player now.
artists i can think of that utilize the brass are
wailers
don
spear
misty
bunny
diamonds <bobby ellis used to tour with them a few years back
luciano
alpha blondy
skatalites
lkj

unfortunately not many more
August 27, 2007 03:16PM
Neva seen Ras Michael without! Gotta have da horns!

~HIGHEST HEIGHTZ EVERY TIME~
August 27, 2007 03:20PM
Clinton actually has a world-class sax (Isaac Mills) & a trumpet (Bill Jones).

August 27, 2007 04:05PM
brass = trombone and trumpet
sax is a woodwind
August 27, 2007 04:26PM
mikey dread usually has a horn section with him..... at least the 4 times i have seen him....
August 27, 2007 04:57PM
Just caught Sly and Robbie at Slims with Nambo on the Bone and a bald head Frenchman named 'Stepper' on Sax - well nice!!!
Good point J Blaze, back in high school band I used to try and hold down some reggae bass lines on the Tuba. Since then I've thought it would be tuff for a group to experiment with the Tuba. I imagine an outfit like the Riddim Twins could dabble with it and make it work. I think I need to dig up the old Tuba and get to work...

RV
August 27, 2007 08:23PM
If you ever catch Bonerama, they carry a tuba player that NAILS bass-lines
and puts a funky greasy gliss on each note! The brass bands down New Orleans
way have some formidable tuba players that insure you don't miss a string bass.

Way back in the day I booked a series of Sunday shows at a club in NYC with a group called Gravity, lead by then-SNL bandleader Howard Johnson. 5 tuba players backed by a rhythm section, and it was the sh**. The only guy in the band who came off as a pain happened to be pianist Paul Shaeffer, who still had hair, and was known to whine.
August 27, 2007 09:27PM
who this guy? a whiner? nah.....it could never be, him tuff as tuff!

August 29, 2007 02:45AM
horns.....hmmmmm where can we find dem for recordings or live?
MBRF----friday ----sugar, mighty diamonds, and Sat. with newly added artist LUV FYAH!!!! CHECK CELEBRITY HORNS for those performances.
if ya want some real horns on your tracks send me an MP3(s) to
balboabecker@gmail.com
August 29, 2007 05:07PM
a whole thread on horns and no mention of Dean Fraser!?!?

We cannot seek achievement for ourselves and forget about progress and prosperity for our community. Our ambitions must be broad enough to include the aspirations and needs of others, for their sakes and for our own.
Cesar Chavez
August 29, 2007 05:10PM
"Dean Fraser

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fraser is arguably reggae's best known contemporary hornsman and bandleader. Born Dean Ivanhoe Fraser on August 4, 1957 in Kingston, he first played clarinet in Jonestown at 12 with classmates (and future horn greats), Nambo Robinson and Chico Chin. "I learned to play in the National Volunteers' Youth Organization community club. My Aunt Juanita carried me to the music teacher, Babe O'Brian, on the corner of Love Street and Thompson Street in Trench Town. He switched me to sax when the time was right, going on to 15. My first band was called Sonny Bradshaw 7. Now my 'Youth Sax' nick-name actually came about from Jacob Miller. That was about 1978. At that time I also used to work at the Sheraton, and Jacob used to come like every night and hang out and jam with us. And he decided that I should record a song, and I recorded 'Take Five'. Ther was a mistake on the label of that record, and so it came out as Jah Devon, instead of Dean Fraser. I had one release before that with Tommy Cowan, 'Blue Moon,' under my name." From that point forward all his recordings have been as Dean Fraser, usually in conjunction with his own 809 Band, one of the true workhorses of modern reggae stage shows, recordings, and tours. "

We cannot seek achievement for ourselves and forget about progress and prosperity for our community. Our ambitions must be broad enough to include the aspirations and needs of others, for their sakes and for our own.
Cesar Chavez
August 29, 2007 06:25PM
skatalites

Could anyone imagine Skatalites without horns?
August 29, 2007 08:31PM
was talking to vin gordon a few years back & i mentioned nambo. vin looked at me & laughed, "him just a baby!"
you could probably put dean fraser into that same 'baby' category.
August 30, 2007 01:00AM
Pretty sure it was CELEBRITY HORNS that played with Abyssinians the last time that they came through.... I was impressed. I know having horns costs more, but they sure made the difference for the Abyssinians show!
August 30, 2007 01:14AM
OK, when you talk 'bout Vin Gordon, you talk about my favorite living
Jamaican horn player, as well as my favorite living trombonist, hands down, from any genre of music. Wonderful player, and I'm sure most here know this, but after all, it IS Vin Gordon you hear on so many foundation Studio One riddims.
August 30, 2007 02:40AM
What'bout Rico?!?!?

~HIGHEST HEIGHTZ EVERY TIME~
August 30, 2007 04:09AM
Blessings on Brother Rico, but Vin Gordon is after all the cat everyone
saw as Drummond's successor(hence one of his alias, Don Drummond Jr),
and having listened to both men's recordings, my opinion is VG has at
least pulled even w/ Don.

Another thing is Vin is still at the top of his form.
August 30, 2007 07:23AM
love the vin gordon/aswad stuff..
hey, this is off topic, but i was curious if anyone knows which tracks on Spear's social living album have Aswad backing?
September 13, 2007 01:45AM
September 13, 2007 02:02AM
Easy Star All Stars were rocking a pretty mean horn session last time I saw them
Pato Banton rolling around with Mystic Roots right now with solid horns
John Browns Body gots that crazy trumpet player
September 17, 2007 01:08AM
>this factor mite aswell become healing moto for st.croix sounds too.
>>>peace*

-RASpects+
September 17, 2007 09:10AM
trumpet player from JBB(c-money) plays for slightly stoopid now.