Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What's happening 2 snwmf?

Posted by reggaegal 
What's happening 2 snwmf?
March 05, 2004 03:30PM
Is it me or has snwmf lost a lot of good artist. I think they are failing to bring in the big names. I miss the old dayz when it was in Marysville.

Post Edited (03-05-04 18:31)
TR-808
Re: Newer artist
March 05, 2004 03:32PM

reggaegal you sound pretty smart. you can even spell "loosing".

go banana slugs!
Re: What's happening 2 snwmf?
March 05, 2004 03:35PM
[www.snwmf.com]

check it out... I think this years line up look excellent! Rotr, in my opinion, will have a tough time topping last years lineup...
TR-808
March 05, 2004 03:37PM

what's happening to snwmf?

growing and leading. rotr is pure follow-fashion. has been for years now.

with whatever due respect remains, rotr NEVER EVER had anything close to the ram dancehall session that Stur Gav busted last year.
ODB
March 05, 2004 03:39PM
ROTR had a great lineup last year but the some performances werent as good as expected. SNWMF always brings a good enough vibe to keep the performances at peak. opinions from my experience of course.
jb welda
March 05, 2004 03:40PM
>Post Edited (03-05-04 18:31)

whats that mean? is someone editing posts?

"lost a lot of good artist"?

you mean like pulse, maxi priest, assorted marley offspring?

i count my blessings one by one. give me horace andy, alton ellis, linval thompson, winston jarrett, burning spear, brigadier jerry, leroy sibbles, u roy, yami bolo, twinkle bros, barrington levy, any of them anyday. they may not all be here this year, but theyve been in the very near past.

rotr on the other hand...i went away thinking david lindley and el rayo x was the highlight last year.

one love
jah bill
jb welda
March 05, 2004 03:40PM
oh did i forget the don don carlos? lest we forget the foundations...

one love
jah bill
bun n cheese
March 05, 2004 03:41PM
yeah, vibes kartel didnt show up either.

then again, sizzla, turbulence, marcia griffiths, leroy sibbles and someone else didnt show at SNWMF the year before, so...
TR-808
March 05, 2004 03:42PM

yeah she had another dumb statement in there too, which contained the mis-spelled word "loosing".

it was garbage worthy of removal.. not important.

go banana slugs!

HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!
March 05, 2004 03:47PM
snwmf does well when trying to book the artist but I feel it has lost the big names from back when it used to be in Marysville. That is where it started, not in Angels Camp. I am not trying to say that the artist they have now aren't great, I just wish they would come up with other big names. Anthony B, Morgan H, Steel Pulse, Gladiators, Buju, Bushman, Everton Blender, Luciano, and much much more big names from JA that have yet to perform @ snwmf.
March 05, 2004 03:49PM
I don't even go to U.C.S.C and if you want to be a damn teacher and correct my spelling go right ahead. I am voicing how I feel, I don't need you 2 get all bitchy, **** it's not that bif of a deal. What a pric!
TR-808
March 05, 2004 03:50PM

what?

> Steel Pulse, Gladiators, Buju, Bushman

they've all played SNWMF

go banana slugs!
March 05, 2004 03:52PM
LOL!!! Just out of curoisity, Reggaegal, how many times have you been to SNWMF and how many times to ROTR?
March 05, 2004 03:53PM
Yeah, like 2 years ago. Just think how many artist cancelled last year
bun n cheese
March 05, 2004 03:53PM
sorry reggaegal, i can spell either.
jb welda
March 05, 2004 03:54PM
ah i see. do you mean to say snwmf once was at somewhere called "marysville"?
(i knew that).

lets see:
>Anthony B,

hes been to snwmf hasnt he?

>Morgan H,

ditto

>Steel Pulse,

oh please as recently as year before last, right?

>Gladiators,

wrong

>Buju,

wrong

>Bushman,

wrong o

>Everton Blender,

you may have hit on one here...

>Luciano,

not sure

>and much much more big names from JA that have yet to perform @ snwmf.

looks to me like youre about (at best) 2 for 8...not a very good average. check the archives next time eh?

one love
jah bill
TR-808
March 05, 2004 03:55PM

go banana slugs!
jb welda
March 05, 2004 03:56PM
how many artists cancelled last year? at snwmf? i dont recall any.

thats about 2 for 9 max. i quit now...too much like fish inna barrel.

one love
jah bill
March 05, 2004 03:57PM
Trust I have been to many reggae shows. I am not tryin' to dis on anyone or say who should be at the shows. You people are taking this too seriously. I just stated that I think they should have some bigger artist and there is something wrong with that because...
March 05, 2004 03:59PM
ANother thing is that when artists cancel at SNWMF somehow they manage to bring in the best replacements (ie: Buju cancelled in '02, was replaced by Barrington Levy). If they would have brought in, say, Ghetto Youth Crew I would have been disapointed.
March 05, 2004 04:01PM
Bushman, Buju and Steel Pulse have played SNWMF AND have played in Angel's Camp SNWMF as well. Did you think or check out history before you typed out criticism? SNWMF has hands down has had the greatest lineup, did you catch the dancehall last year on Sat evening, live toasting with Briggy Jerry, URoy and Sister Carol. If that's not "big names" then what is?

One love
eric v
jb welda
March 05, 2004 04:07PM
please...katers, buju didnt cancel, i think it was sizzla that cancelled (in the dancehall genre)...buju was there friday night if i remember right (maybe i dont).

believe me its a disappointment to all of us when artists cancel, including the promotors (perhaps ESPECIALLY the promotors). that year was particularly bad: coco tea, sizzla, leroy sibbles, marcia griffiths. all had fair to middlin excuses but like you say, it was largely pulled out by adding don the don carlos and mr levy (was there someone else added at the last moment? i dont recall right offhand). trust that the promotors did all they could to rectify the situation and worked their tails off to flesh out the bill after the (very) last minute drop outs were known about.

one love
jah bill
March 05, 2004 04:10PM
I know that they have had big names in snwmf. I been going for a long time. I was just saying for the night when they have the best artist perform. Stone love was kiliin' it in the dancehall. Midnite was blowing it up on the small stage along with Warrior King. Trust me you guys, I am meaning no dis-respect. I am just voicing how I feel. I am not saying I would like Sean Paul, or Damian Marley to perform. More like the man himself, Gregory Issacs, Lee Scratch Perry, Bounty Kiler, Tony Rebel. Something differnt. Someone that has never performed at snwmf. Thats what I was tryin' to get across. Much love and no dis-respect.
TR-808
March 05, 2004 04:12PM

> Gregory Issacs, Lee Scratch Perry

both played SNWMF

go banana slugs!
jb welda
March 05, 2004 04:13PM
you want to take this one solid? she is batting a bit better average on it.

>More like the man himself, Gregory Issacs, Lee Scratch Perry, Bounty Kiler, Tony
>Rebel. Something differnt. Someone that has never performed at snwmf.

no dis to you either reggaegal but you gotta realize, youre not dealing with people who are easily led.

one love
jah bill
jb welda
March 05, 2004 04:14PM
beat me to it you did...gotta be quick around here today.

one love
jah bill
March 05, 2004 04:15PM
Oops! you're right jah bill. It was Sizzla who cancelled. Buju played the year before.
jb welda
March 05, 2004 04:16PM
i think we got a record for most responses within the shortest period!

but whats up with that timestamp? its 4:15 pm right now and it looks like its going to claim its 7:15

one love
jah bill
bun n cheese
March 05, 2004 04:17PM
must be an eastern time zoned server, as i would say.
March 05, 2004 04:19PM
is it on an east coast server maybe? hmmm...

Definatly did have a lot of responses in a short time... but I can see why! It seems silly to me to come to the SNWMF board and start trashing the lineup!
March 05, 2004 04:45PM
You guys! You go to reggae shows and talk about "good vibes" I say one thing and here you are tryin' to act like I am dissin'. I know who played. Here we go: June 16, 17, 18 of 2000 this is who played in Marysville. Burning Spear, Steel Pulse, Gregory Issacs(oops he cancelled that year), Stone Love, Gladiators, Yami Bolo, Mickey Hart, Prince Buster, and so on. That was a good year! Hot, but good.The first year at Angels Camp, we have Lee Scratch, Eek-A-Mouse, Stone Love, Buju, Gregory, Don Carlos, Sister Carol, Mad Professor, Ozaomatli, Bushman and many many more. That was a very good year. Now 2002, We have Sizzla(but I don't know if he played), Coco Tea, Earl Zero, Toots, Marcia(cancelled), Sugar Minott, Steel Pulse. This year was good but everything was in the air and people cancelled, I know it happens. 2003, Capleton, Coco Tea, Stone Love, B.LEVY, Wailers, Pato Banton, Warrior King. That year was good. Now, if you will listen to what I was trying to say. I think they should have newer artist that have never performed here at snwmf. Morgan H has never played at Angels Camp, Junior Kelly, Everton Blender, Luciano, Tony Rebel, and yes! They are talented, but the Ghetto Youth's Crew. Or even Ziggy, but the old Ziggy not the new Dragonfly Ziggy. The main reason why I like snwmf is b/c it is not like reggae on the river where your tickets are 180 bucks plus. The show is good, but it is so compact and only one stage. So, for the last time I apologize if I was coming off as trying to dis on the line-up 4 this year. That was not my intentions. But all of you, except Buns and cheese seemed really messed up about it even when I tried to voice what I meant. It's funny how you guys go to these reggae shows looking for good vibes, and here I was trying to say was up and what I meant, and you guys take it the wrong way. Much love and respect and peace. Hopefully you guys learn something from the shows. I wasn't tryin' to venge on yall'. But I'll let you guys get back to what you were doing. And hey! Your right, GO SLUGS!!!!!
Reggaegal a.k.a. Vanessa
TR-808
March 05, 2004 04:50PM

fine vanessa

there's nothing wrong with criticizing this thing. we do it all the time. but understand something:

you're dealing with some loyalists here and if you don't come correct you'll get hammered down and dusted out. period.

we don't take ****, and we don't hand it out for no reason.

peace
March 05, 2004 04:51PM
LOLROF!
pale ryder
March 05, 2004 04:52PM
Ha, Tr-808, bun n chesse, we finally agree on something!!! Sierra Nevada the best festival, and getting better every year. How can you complain about this years line up? Linval Thompson, Horace Andy, Alton Ellis, these guys alone are worth going to see...
napabink
March 05, 2004 04:55PM
Vanessa......hmmmmmm?
bun n cheese
March 05, 2004 04:58PM
the thing is, the line up is incomplete. there are heavy hitters yet to be announced.
jb welda
March 05, 2004 05:31PM
that may be so b&c that may be so...

to vanessa, sorry if i was coming on strong there but like solid says go slugs...no wait a minute, not that part, the part about loyalists.

one more thing, we/they cant say to ziggy: hey dont play your new stuff play your old stuff. dont work like that. also, a lot of work has gone into checking just some of those artists you mention (you can wonder just how i know that but believe me, i do) and nothing has come to fruition, yet. those guys schedules dont revolve around snwmf so often they are busy at the time of the show, cant afford to make it here because they are elsewhere, are too expensive (you dont want tickets to be 200$ now do you?) and other realities. so while its nice to sit back and say "get so and so"...its not always possible. lots of those folks have a hard time getting into the country right now too largely due to the folks in the big white house etc so a lot of it is out of control. i like to think snwmf does a pretty good job of filling in the bill but theres always some people who want some other artists. i wish they would work on it like some here do, maybe they would come down to the reality that those actually lining up artists have to come down to.

but dont give up, theres more to come and who knows, you might end up surprised. but i will let the big guy tell you when its time to tell...

one love
jah bill
March 05, 2004 05:35PM
Any more to complete the bill is just icing on the cake.......
SNWMF bake a cake,
and everybody want a taste!!
March 05, 2004 05:46PM
Greetings,
I had to sing in,,
All the artist that have been mentioned played SNWMF sometime in their life or have sat in with a artist on a stage. lots of wishes for people who have time to write in I love to read this board when I have time - and post info. You all are great and I hope you all read this ,, Is anyone going to any of the Ziggy & spearhead shows that are around - Chico on Fri, Tahoe on Wed, SC on Thur. (go Slugs!!!). Does any one know who is playing at the Caribbean Vibes Fest??? Yami Bolo in the City th 17th, and What about Joshua Tree Fest in May Is any one going?? Bill and Daniel give me a call
And please remember someone is putting on a show(festival) for you!! be respectful always. It's a lot of hard Work like the song says
Peace
One Love
Allan

bun n cheese
March 05, 2004 05:58PM
i like you use of the word, fruition. smiling smiley
March 05, 2004 11:10PM
Wow, quite a thread for one evening. What i love about SNWMF is how they always bring in both 'old school' artists and young artists that have NEVER performed out here before. Junior Byles, Bernard Collins, Leonard Dillon, Niney. Bushman, Abijah, Midnite, Warrior King.

TONY REBEL, EVERTON BLENDER, MACKA B and NASIO are people that deserve to be put on the bill one of these years.... 'Big names' are cool, but they usually play (longer sets) at clubs around here anyways. Personally, I would forgo the big names in favor of artists like:
MISTY IN ROOTS
MYSTIC REVELATION OF RASTAFARI
BENJAMIN ZEPHANIAH
IQULAH

and don't forget the rising lions like:
DEZARIE
QUEEN OMEGA
LUTAN FYAH
JAH MASON
JR. KELLY
DYCR
QUEEN IFRICA
napabink
March 06, 2004 12:34AM
Did anyone see DJ Brimstone w/ Carlton Livingstone @ Oasis in Oak Town a few months back? Brimstone a ram dancehall. Maybe he's around? Now and then? Keep the vibes a flow after U Roy & Briggy last year. Weh dem DJ a run to? SNWMF? Anyone?
jon
March 06, 2004 04:25PM
Hey it's cool that you guys like your old school, but if I remeber correctly, snwmf hasn't brought in that many people. It seems like not that many people have showed up to the snwmf. TR-808 you've got way too much time on your hands if you need to criticize this chick. Leave it alone, you've made your point. I am not trying to defend this Vanessa or Reggaegal. She doesn't sound like she knows too much about the ol' school artists. But, you guys need to smoke a bowl and chill. Seriously!
March 06, 2004 09:39PM
Having taken your advice on the chill pill, I'm still trying to figure out why the recent attendance for SNWMF's somehow validates 'Reggaegal's' lack of knowledge on, well, just about everything. Disinformers love to appear naive.
If a yearning for claustrophobia sets in, refer below to Prezident Carter's 1997 article that says it all.

[incolor.inetnebr.com]

Note: This review got me uninvited to Reggae On The River. So be sure to act nice if you want to be in good favor with these folks.

Reality Check On The River

I went to Reggae On The River this year with a dark cloud over my head. Rumors of the dire condition of Fela Kuti in Nigeria spread over the Internet the week before, making any pretense for celebration seem shallow. The news broke for real on Sunday as the visibly shaken and heavy-hearted Nigerian singer Sonny Okosuns stopped his set to make the announcement followed by a moment of silence in honor of his friend Fela. The fact that the significance of the loss was unappreciated by most of the crowd was frustrating.

Even without this sad news and everything it entailed, there was still something missing from Reggae On The River 1997. I know after three years of reviewing the same festival that I might be prone to noticing the smaller things. Still, I would be negligent if I let them go unmentioned. There seemed to be a proliferation of non-concious behavior more befitting fraternity members than people wearing dreadlocks. When an announcement was made from stage about the plight of the Headwaters area and the serious threat it faces from logging interests (the theme of this years show was preservation of ancient forests), cries of "Bullshit! Hug a @#$%& tree!" were heard from the crowd. This in combination with several M-80s set off in the parking lot; consistently unhelpful and frequently rude security people (in one case a security person who was too busy smoking a joint to help a lost child find her mother); rumors of an armed (but fortunately non-violent) threat at the entry to the festival on Friday; and all too frequent encounters with gate-crashers in my (unsecure) camping area make me wonder if Reggae On The River is on the downside of its once majestic peak.

These happenings quickly added up to a far less inspiring experience than the event that I actually called 'the greatest reggae festival in the world,' one short year ago. The constant distractions made it difficult for me to critically evaluate many performances. I was also disappointed by the top-heavy line-up, with near overdoses of 70s reggae heavyweights such as Bunny Wailer, Burning Spear, Culture, and Toots & The Maytals. Also, there was nothing in the line-up, with the possible exception of Nadine Sutherland or J.C. Lodge, particularly relevant to the contemporary Jamaican scene, which is a shame. Artists like Everton Blender, Prezident Brown, Yami Bolo, Daddy Rings, Anthony B, and countless others deserve exposure to this crowd. When compared to sensational line-up at June's successful Sierra Nevada Festival, it is doubtful whether Reggae On The River was even the best reggae festival in California this year.

On Friday evening, good sets were turned in by Parisian roots reggae group Kreyol Syndikat -- a new signee to Tuff Gong International, and an international Latin-tinged amalgamation known as Wild Mango. The Ital Lights video show was interesting but was quickly made intolerable by excessive, amateurish toasting from backstage. I don't want to hear anyone chat over Bob Marley and Luciano vocal cuts.

On Saturday, Native Elements capably started the day with a set of Phillipino roots reggae. Hedzoleh Soundz, with the undistinguished draw of second act, blew everyone before and after them off the stage in terms of pure musical ability, if not also in terms of aesthetic of presentation. This made every subsequent act harder to appreciate. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the African artists are premier caliber musicians and deserve better billing at Reggae On The River. Morgan Heritage, who played a Hollywood (MCA) style R&B set three years ago, came off the hook with 100 percent Rastafari roots & culture. Their power and confidence was unmistakable and unforgettable. I missed reportedly good sets from Born Jamericans, Christafari, and Nadine Sutherland. Saturday was also highlighted by an incredible set of soca by the Mighty Sparrow, who yucked up the festival with the most slack and obscene jokes he could pull out of his pants. Lucky Dube was extremely solid with his new band, and his level of recognition with the crowd was evident and energizing. I was too exhausted to witness more than three songs from Jah B, Bunny Wailer, but he reportedly turned in a marathon two and half hour set of musical prophesy.

Sunday is always is different vibe at Reggae On The River -- usually due to that 'I've gotta leave tomorrow' feeling. Makka and particularly Jumbalassay energized the crowd early in the day. The Reggae Cowboys, a Humboldt County favorite, justified their strange name and appearance by making a historical connection to the contribution of Africans in the American West. I missed the sets from Beniah and JC Lodge, saving my energy for Culture, who sounded extremely tight with the Dub Mystic band. Joseph Hill's and Albert Walker's continued association with this group has been the foundation of its resurgent success. As mentioned, Sonny Okosuns was visibly, deeply saddened as he performed, but nonetheless was outstanding. I missed Toots Hibbert, but he also reportedly turned in a good set.

Spear, who was also a friend of Fela, focused his energies and delivered one of the best reggae sets I've seen in four years at Reggae On The River. It didn't appear that anyone went home early Sunday night, which is a tribute to Spear's popularity. The grounds were full, alive and rocking as the legend took the stage. His band has seen some line-up changes since last year, but it has been an improvement if anything. He methodically took the group through extended vocal and dub-style renditions of both his classics and newer material. He was dressed in denim and a red, gold and green tie-die t-shirt. Burning Spear may be on target to aim at the Dead crowd with "Play Jerry," which went over well in one of its debut performances. Unfortunately, I really doubt Spear's music is best appreciated while tripping on LSD, ecstacy or any of the other all too plentiful non-ganja type intoxicants being circulated over the weekend. Without even mentioning that he had a new album out in two days, Spear delivered an unpretentious set and went on his way, still crucial after all these years.

The tension in the air between the members of the Mateel Community Center (the sponsor) and People Productions (the for-profit production company/organizer) was disturbingly evident and a downer when I recall how it seemed three years ago. Clearly, Reggae On The River is being subjected to the almighty dollar, which additionally resulted in Reggae On The River Oregon -- another event which licensed the name. Commerciality is not pure evil in and of itself by any stretch of the imagination. However, when a for-profit motive replaces what was once an unthinkalbly unselfish community collaberation, problems are bound to come to the surface.

This event is still an overall success and one of the greatest opportunities for exposure for artists in a country where reggae is falling on the hardest times it has seen since it first gained acceptance here. On another positive note, several unforgettable performances plus the immeasurable joy of conversations with the friends I've met at Reggae On The River over the years made for a worthwhile weekend and nothing I regret attending.

Copyright 1997 Carter Van Pelt
ODB
March 08, 2004 12:03PM
Whats up with disrespecting the GYC. No respect= disrespect. Love the roots, love the danchall. Respect them all. I for one would like to see Damien, Julean, Stephen, and Ziggy. Yes even the new Dragonfly stuff. What happened to Big Up the Youth, no one here want Bob's children to prosper. nuff negativity in the world
bun n cheese
March 08, 2004 12:06PM
are you implying that the Marley youth do not prosper?

that is fuggin ridiculous.
ODB
March 08, 2004 01:13PM
I know you can read Bun, that is not what is written.
bun n cheese
March 08, 2004 01:19PM
fair enough.
March 08, 2004 01:33PM
Napabink,
Full agreement on the Carlton Livingston/Brimstone sets @ Oasis (Oasis has gotta be my favorite dance in the Bay. Even better when it gets hotter out) They blew the spot completly up!!! I'd love to see the same thing at SNWMF. It's gonna be pretty difficult to top last years Stur Gav. But I'm really really hoping to see the great Blood And Fire Soundsystem make a US trip. They don't come over very often and this seems to be a big enough event that will get enough exposure to warrent the trip. Come through Steve!!
john dillinger
March 08, 2004 05:54PM
check for dreadstock 2004 in vallejo, all i will say, some cool surprises are coming...
napabink
March 08, 2004 11:21PM
Yes Rudeboy, Stur Gav way tuff to top. And that set has me hoping we get at least one Mic Chanter from the Old Skool at this years fest, if not more. That would elevate the vibes nicely.
-Stevo
ian
March 08, 2004 11:26PM
Steel pulse and Bunny Wailer are coming to rotr this year. Both line ups are developing pretty well. I don't see why people are complaining. You know it's going to be fun and the music+people are going to be great. That's my 2 cents. Peace winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login