Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WHAT MAKE A STRONG BAND?

Posted by DR.DREAD 
DR.DREAD
WHAT MAKE A STRONG BAND?
September 09, 2004 12:31AM
MONEY? GEAR? VIBES? GIGS? MANAGER? WHAT??????????????????????????
Re: WHAT MAKE A STRONG BAND?
September 09, 2004 12:50AM
hot groupies.
September 09, 2004 02:51AM
People.

One love,

Rootz
September 09, 2004 07:34AM
That's an easy one....... VIBES!!!!
jbwelda
September 09, 2004 09:04AM
ability to pull any riddim out of their hat and play it like they wrote it. complete lack of hippie vibe would be good too, instead obvious yard experience and influence. lack of necessity to haul and pull each tune because they cant get it right the first time.

one love
jah bill
September 09, 2004 12:54PM
daniel haz tha ticket but chimino does come correct(even midnite haz dem).
September 09, 2004 01:21PM
A band is strong from the vibes amongst the bands members and the vibe of the lead singer/frontman to the audience. Also making those weird facial expressions during a guitar lead. Yeah!
-a
September 09, 2004 01:24PM
"Also making those weird facial expressions during a guitar lead."

Only BB King and a handful of other high-calibre guitarists can get away with that. Everyone else just looks silly.

One love,

Rootz
September 09, 2004 01:33PM
Being able to read each others mind and know what each other will do next or expect out of each member. Also, the ability to take the crowd on a spirritual ride, start slow build up the vibes, dip back down and finish strong. Also, a helps to have your bass player be a professional sound man back at home.(phil m.)
September 09, 2004 01:45PM
"Also, a helps to have your bass player be a professional sound man back at home."

Why's that? (I might agree, but I'd like to hear what's your point here...)

One love,

Rootz
September 09, 2004 07:21PM
Most sound men or women don't really know what it takes to create the "right" roots sound. Heavy bass, good kick drum, nice bubble , or they use too much reverb like this last weekend and get power tripped and start echoing out every word etc. During sound check, phil merchant bass player for midnite, goes out into the crowd and really pays attention to the sound, then relays what he needs to perfect the sound, even if they have already started three songs into a show, Lots of bands come in dont even care what it sounds like, and if they dont like it still think there is nothing in their power to change it.

Some bands dont even care for a proper sound check, leaving you and I, depending on how closely you watch the sound, screeching and eerking like finger nails on a chalk board....you see rootz, lovely
September 09, 2004 11:28PM
On a serious note, Bill is on the right track. Knowledge of a wide variety of classic riddims is a must.
September 10, 2004 02:25AM
OK. I was thinking of a "sound man" in the JA sense... Which I think wouldn't be too bad either, as a sounds system man would certainly know what sounds get the people moving...

I'd say it would be even better for the band to have a good FOH sound man who knows how the band's supposed to sound like. Then the bass player can focus on the performance. It's usually impossible to have much idea onstage about what goes out to the audience, sound-wise.

One love,

Rootz
September 10, 2004 08:07AM
ALWAYS,ALWAYS....STARTS WITH THE DRUMS....
September 10, 2004 08:37AM
A good bands starts here:

Everyone COMPLETELY SERIOUS about the whole situation!!!!!!!! Everyone in love with playing music, everyone on time for practice and everyone with their **** together. That's what makes a great band!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
September 10, 2004 09:17AM
It's simple- to have a great band all you need is a great songwriter- everything is derivative thereafter...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login