Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Any update on Capleton w/Cocoa Tea

Posted by Zana 
Zana
Any update on Capleton w/Cocoa Tea
September 14, 2004 03:54AM
AT CSUS Sept. 30 Serna Plaza, Sacramento???
I'll go without a doubt. I'm 10 min. away on bike.
Cheers!
Zana
Re: Any update on Capleton w/Cocoa Tea
September 14, 2004 03:19PM
Anyone going to this? I was planning on flying in to SF for RITP, but honestly am very very disappointed they pulled Capelton from the line up. I am questioning if I should even make the effort to fly out.

I could change my flight to Sac if someone could give me a ride to SF on Friday.
jbwelda
September 14, 2004 04:01PM
a) they pulled capleton from reggae in the park? how come? if the tour fell apart then im thinking the csus gig isnt far behind.

b) im certainly going to this at csus. ive not heard anything about it happening or not happening and a recent bike ride through the campus didnt reveal any info eg: posters. but i figured it was too early. how about someone call the associated students at that number i posted here? i got it by looking up csus associated students office.

good luck on the ride xacto.

one love
jah bill
September 14, 2004 04:08PM
True true, JB. Seems a fruitless endeavor.
jbwelda
September 14, 2004 04:09PM
associated students

916 278-6276

some underemployed or otherwise idle person please call and report back.

one love
jah bill
solid rock
September 14, 2004 04:18PM

i just got an email from VP listing the tour dates so i think it's still generally intact
jbwelda
September 14, 2004 04:48PM
i wouldnt bet my life on that solid. they probably havent updated it for current situation. im thinking that if capleton is off the sf thing, then they (the tour) will probably skip sf altogether and that means they will probably skip sacto too. thats just me guessing though. if thats so then i would expect associated students csus to not even have that info because it is likely to be done at the last moment. and once it gets generally known the reason capleton isnt in sf, im thinking the ever PC csus is liable to cancel him for the same reason. i mean, they killed the chickens too, probably because it gave off the "wrong image" to all the fat cat athletic supporters (local reference no one is likely to get).

maybe not though. got my fingers crossed.

one love
jah bill
September 14, 2004 05:02PM
special of the week in the csus cafeteria "FRESCO!! pollo tacos 3/$1.00". and according to the reggae in the park site - culture is now playing in place of capelton. i think sunday will still be a good show with cocoa tea and culture. maybe sack state will replace capelton with culture too.
sisAJoI
September 14, 2004 05:18PM
Well I am not idle, but my morning apparently is, so I called for you.

Number is not in working order.
September 14, 2004 05:20PM
wed-oct.6th capleton & cocoa tea @ venue of scottsdale_Scottsdale,AZ.
more information on this show T.B.A..
(i'll tell ya if dar waz another promotion bidder in dis area it would B on*)
>1LUV*+*+*+*+*+*+*+
jbwelda
September 14, 2004 05:34PM
thanks sisajoi, it figures. state office and all.

one love
jah bill
solid rock
September 14, 2004 07:02PM

well just because they're not getting paid now for that previously-booked SF date it doesn't mean they're not getting paid in Sac, then Arcata, then Chico.

i'll still bet on them picking up those checks.
September 14, 2004 07:29PM
What Solid????? Chico????? Tell me more...
solid rock
September 14, 2004 07:44PM

saturday night october 2 @ BMU

capleton, cocoa tea, etc.

you better get your radio fixed!
jbwelda
September 14, 2004 08:04PM
in that case i will probably forget the whole reggae in the park thing and go to chico. but i bet they cancel there too. if not, see you then! you going to be a married man by then?

one love
jah bill
sisAJoI
September 14, 2004 08:22PM
Well our home is open to any snwmf crew that wants a nice place to sleep here in Chico-----
I will be in SF, of course....but the gates are open. Just let I know.
September 14, 2004 08:46PM
i thought you were from davis?
sisAJoI
September 14, 2004 09:16PM
nope------ I moved to chico early this summer from out of state
jjlab3
September 14, 2004 10:08PM
I will be at the Capleton show in sac. Hope neither cancels.

Would be cool to meet a few of you and put names to faces.
September 14, 2004 10:10PM
i agree. lets do it.
solid rock
September 14, 2004 10:21PM

yeah of course i will be in Thailand when they come to my hometown.

not that i'm complaining about Thailand -- only the part where a top-rank reggae showcase is coming to my town while i'm gone.

by the way thanks for the note and yes that is "Pete", and he remembers you.
September 14, 2004 10:41PM
i would take thailand over sacramento any day solid. maybe there is a nice reggae festival going on over there while you are visiting? then again maybe not.
sisAJoI
September 14, 2004 11:24PM
Solid- aren't you in Chico?
Looks like we have several connections in common.
jbwelda
September 14, 2004 11:33PM
yes solid i am very sorry i cannot make it to your wedding but i really appreciate you inviting me nonetheless. and i hope your father in law to be doesnt remember me *that* well, i would hate to cause friction in the family!

;-)

(obigatory nefarious wink)

but have fun in thailand, i was going to go there this year as well (after sanjays nepal thing fell through) but im going to stay stateside for now and go to jamaica in december for this big toots and the maytals 40th anniversary shindig in ochi that i got invited to.

me and sanjay will hail up cocoa tea for you though!

sorry to hijack the thread, back to our regularly scheduled programming...

one love
jah bill
solid rock
September 14, 2004 11:51PM

> i would take thailand over sacramento any day solid

me too. in fact, i would take... never mind.

>> Solid- aren't you in Chico?

yes.

>>> me and sanjay will hail up cocoa tea for you though!

right on jb.
sisAJoI
September 15, 2004 12:14AM
sanjay hooked me up spontaneously at his garage sale this summer and kicked me some nice cds and lots of old tapes.
jjlab3
September 15, 2004 12:18AM
Alright let's do this. SNWMF board posters who are gonna be at the Sac show let's meet up at the CSUS show.

Before for a beer in the student union?

After at Socal's or somewhere near for a beer?
Zana
September 15, 2004 12:55AM
Sounds great to me. I love beer. I love reggae. Two great things coming together.
Student Union only serves beer at Round Table. There is also beer served at the Pub inside the Student Market Place.
But I guess what is more important, is there going to be a show and what day and time is it? Hopefully it won't be on a Wednesday. I have class until 8:45pm. I'd have to miss class.
Cheers!
September 15, 2004 04:32PM
keep it rollin' jjlab3 - these "meetings" seem to lose steam. there are too many sack area posters to not have a meeting sometime. beer before, beer after sounds alrighty.
jjlab3
September 15, 2004 05:30PM
Still says the 30th is on at the CSUS web site. I know that does not mean much with last second cancellations possible.

I agree these meetings lose steam.

I don't know how familiar any of you are with Sac but Socal's Tavern is a mellow place near Sac State. 51st and Folsom Blvd.

Show is listed to start at 7:30pm. Anyone want to meet a Socal's at 6pm?

There are many other pubs near that we can hit up afterwards.

Post if you are in.
Fish
September 15, 2004 06:45PM
Thailand is an incredible country, enjoy your honeymoon - just remember to smile a lot and enjoy the food (best in the world?) and you can't go wrong.
September 15, 2004 06:46PM
socals 6pm. i am there.
September 15, 2004 08:52PM
Thanks Solid,

> you better get your radio fixed!
Yeah, I haven't even gotten around to that one yet. I'm never home on the weekends, working every festival for the past few months, and with 18 units, forget about it, no time for music during the week. Now that I'm "new in town" again, what are all the reggae timeslots on KZFR?

Have you talked with Ajamu about the Capleton show? I'm kinda surprised that he isn't stuck in that same politically correct/educational institution spot. Maybe the higher-ups at CSUC are too clueless about reggae and music in general to pay any attention. Props to Ajamu, or whoever is doing the work, if it happens!

And about Thailand, right on, have a great time!!
Zana
September 15, 2004 08:53PM
I live 2 min from socals, I can meet up. Should be fun.

Oh, who's going to Thailand? I was there in Jan. Great fun! Yummy food! Lots of prositutes! =)
jbwelda
September 15, 2004 09:10PM
yeah solid is going to be way into the pros. hes there on his honeymoon! ive heard the really cute ones are mostly men.

back to the campus shows, i still think we are in for some last minute surprises. i think this SF business is going to open a lot of otherwise clueless eyes.

one love
jah bill
BMC
September 15, 2004 09:46PM
That's exactly what happened here in Europe, Bill.
September 15, 2004 09:48PM
I was this close (holding fingers very close) to asking the record store clerk if they had any of that homophobic reggae I keep hearing about. hehe
September 15, 2004 10:11PM
jahbill - it sounds to me like you think there will be cancellations of gigs due to lyrical content. in your opinion - how many artists will this actually affect? it appears to me that only the most blatant artists have been cxd so far.
jjlab3
September 15, 2004 10:20PM
Yes J.B. I think we get that there is a possibility of cancellation due to lyrical content. I have been keeping my eyes and ears peeled for articles or news broadcasts that the gay community is opposing Capleton's CSUS show. Especially since it is at a public location.

But all we can do is hope the show goes on. Capleton's statement of apology seems to address the issue.

So do you want to meet us for a beer at Socal's or what? It would be great to be enlightened by the all knowing J.B. over a pint.
J
September 15, 2004 10:33PM
okay, i am sorry that i missed all of this excitement, but what the heck is going on! i am so upset that they took capleton off of RITP!!!!!!!!!!!! okay, so i would like to go to the sac show... what ime does it start? 6 we are meeting up? i hope i can make it... where? does anyone have their tikckets yet? i do not have mine. ahhhhh... what to do, please keep I informed, thank you all.
Jah Bless
-Jacquie
September 15, 2004 10:40PM
hey jahbill - zana sez she is coming by also. we can all go to capleton as a group (gang?).
jjlab3
September 15, 2004 10:43PM
Jacquie- the plan is for whoever wants to, meet at Socals 51st and Folsom at 6 pm to get warmed up for the show.

I am going to wait a little longer to get my tickets to see what happens with all of the controversy.
jbwelda
September 16, 2004 12:01AM
im not sure about heading over to socals, i will probably make up my mind 10 minutes before i go over there, or not. if not i will probaby see you folks at the show.

one love
jah bill
September 16, 2004 04:42PM
socals = free pretzels.
jbwelda
September 16, 2004 05:02PM
east portal park: vegetable matter

one love
jah bill
jjlab3
September 16, 2004 05:42PM
East Portal.. Great park. I used to live i block from there.

Great neighborhood.
September 16, 2004 05:52PM
outside of socals = vegetable matter
Zana
September 16, 2004 08:37PM
I live right by east portal. Sundays play a game of adult kickball.
Hope to meet up. I make a great "drunk girl".
September 16, 2004 08:56PM
I have just learned that Coco Tea has been dropped from Reggae In The Park next month, and will be replaced with Mikey Dread... :-(
Acacia
September 16, 2004 08:59PM
Ooh, I bet that cancels your trip Bun?
September 16, 2004 09:02PM
Geez, this just keeps getting worse and worse. I can't stand Mikey Dread. What a puss.
September 16, 2004 09:25PM
Hey Sacto people, keep us posted about the show over there. If it's still on as we get closer then some of us that were planning to go to RITP will be there. Thanx guys.

fourtwentyplenty

Post Edited (09-16-04 14:25)

fourtwentyplenty
September 16, 2004 09:29PM
like water for chocolate...

horrible.
September 16, 2004 09:36PM
It has not been very good for reggae around here recently. I haven't seen anyone post yet about the Lutan Fyah/Norris Man/ Johnny Osbourne show being cancelled at Ashkenaz last Sunday. I drove all the way down from Sebastopol and the whole thing was a no-show. Supposedly neither the performers nor their bands people even contacted the venue. Terrible! The reggae world sometimes operates like the boxing world. Just when you start feeling that you can get into it again, it lets you down. In boxing's case it is controversial decisions, but with reggae it's no-shows and cancellations.

fourtwentyplenty
jbwelda
September 16, 2004 09:39PM
hate to tell you i told you so, but i told you so.

it only stands to reason: capleton is the main guy of the tour. if he isnt allowed to perform theres zero chance the tour will stick around. ergo: no coco tea.

im still holding my corner on the csus show. im batting 1000 so far, i hope i break my streak with csus.

zana too bad youre engaged. i like single drunk girls best.

:-)

(only because they listen dont ya know...or if not listen exactly at least sit there staring into space which passes for "listening" for me most of the time)

by the way, what exactly are the qualifications for a "great 'drunk girl'"?

one love
jah bill
jbwelda
September 16, 2004 09:41PM
where was this johnny osbourne at ashkenaz show advertised? somehow i dont think i ever noticed it and jo is one of my favorite singers.

one love
jah bill
jbwelda
September 16, 2004 10:03PM
still showing this on their calendar. note info phone number:

September 30, 2004
Thursday Music, Capleton with guest Cocoa Tea, dancehall/reggae, 7:30 p.m., Serna Plaza. (916) 278-6997.

one love
jah bill
September 16, 2004 10:11PM
That's right around the corner from my house. I really want to go, but I have to work.

Awakening
September 16, 2004 10:22PM

> just learned that Coco Tea has been dropped

>> hate to tell you i told you so

jb you should save your "told you so's" for the ones that deserve it.

this is in the realm of "duh".

they were touring as a package. did anyone think the bus would drive over there and have Cocoa Tea and the band play anyway?
September 16, 2004 10:43PM
The jo show was listed on Ashkenaz's calendar for only $12 and I believe Chimino had a thread going about it too. I was expecting to see you there Bill.

I called the info line for the CSUS show and was told that as far as they knew it was still on. We'll have to wait and see if this holds true until that day.

fourtwentyplenty
J
September 16, 2004 10:57PM
okay, so hoping all goes well... when are the tickets for sale for Capleton in Sac? How do I get them? Ahhh, I cannot believe RITP is being changed so much, it is really upsetting. Are you all still planning on going to RITP?
-Jacquie
September 16, 2004 10:57PM
socals has a real nice jukebox in case capelton cancels. and pretzels.
September 16, 2004 10:58PM
Pretzels?

Hee Hee

Awakening
September 16, 2004 11:37PM
are you in on the csus/capelton thingy awakening?
September 16, 2004 11:58PM
Well, I am seriously thinking about taking the evening off from work, but I have to be sure that it's really going to happen.

Awakening
September 17, 2004 12:00AM
Have you listened to Capelton before, Awakening?

Just want you to know what you would be in for...
September 17, 2004 12:03AM
No, I haven't teally been out here long enough to familiarize myself with very many bands.

Awakening
September 17, 2004 12:15AM
J as far as I can see it is being advertised as a free show.

[www.csus.edu]

fourtwentyplenty

fourtwentyplenty
jbwelda
September 17, 2004 12:16AM
solid, evidently you havent been following this set of threads too closely. yes in fact more than one person said that. and the fact is those wanks in sf still showed coco tea on the bill even with capleton not on the bill so the confusion was somewhat justified, hence the "i told you so"...

hope that helps.

one love
jah bill
J
September 17, 2004 02:53AM
okay, thank you fourtwentyplenty...i also called that number that was posted earlier on in the thread and they said that it is going on... and they gave me another number to call.... they would know if there was any cancellation.. but so far so good...(knock, knock, knock) very superstitious over here...
Jah Bless
-Jacquie

ps- are you all still going to RITP or not...
pps- ummm, what kind of place is "Socal's Tavern" besides it being "a mellow place near Sac State. 51st and Folsom Blvd."

I am ready to meet there at 6pm
jbwelda
September 17, 2004 05:20AM
socals is a friendly neighborhood tavern. mostly locals and students, and no worries. im not so sure about smoking right out front.

im keeping my fingers crossed too, this could be the treat of the year!

one love
jah bill
jjlab3
September 17, 2004 06:18PM
You guys are killing me.

At this point is the CSUS show still on?

If so I will be at Socal's at 6pm if people want to meet. Socal's is great and yes they have a good jukebox and some good beers on tap. Very mellow neighborhood atmoshphere.
jjlab3
September 17, 2004 06:26PM
BTW

September 17, 2004 06:31PM

> you havent been following this set of threads too closely

nope

btw i didn't mean "save it" as in shut up/save that **** for someone else, i just meant it was duh status, and that your "i told you so's" (like mine) would be even more enjoyable on when used on events not on duh status

ok i'm out
jbwelda
September 17, 2004 06:51PM
and thats how i took it too, solid so feel no way. oops that almost sounds like fakin jamaikan

one love
jah bill
jjlab3
September 17, 2004 06:57PM
Save the drama. It's Friday and Sac Brew Fest is tomorrow!!!!

Capleton and Cocoa Tea may still be in Sac soon!!!
jbwelda
September 17, 2004 07:20PM
what drama would that be jj?

anyhow i think it very ironic that they are picking on capleton. last i saw him (at reggae on the river) it didnt seem to me he was frothing at the mouth or anything. seemed he was pretty toned down. i didnt hang on every word but i dont think i even heard him refer to batty business though a friend of mine said he did make some comments, but nothing necessarily violent. and i recorded his show at snwmf last year and i dont hear anything too terribly objectionable on that, its not like he is crying out for murder or anything, just the usual "fire bun" business which isnt so far off what you hear in a baptist church on sunday. so, as usual, these guys are a day late and a dollar short but they get the publicity and it gets a life of its own at that point. im thinking there is nothing on earth that capleton or beenie or bounty or any of those guys could do at this point to ease the situation so if i were them i wouldnt even try. stay authentic and eventually the grief will subside and meanwhile you can at least claim to naw bow down.

one love
jah bill
September 17, 2004 07:23PM
JB, these artists have made a career out of (among other things) anti-gay posturing. So are the gays not allowed to react?

One love,

Rootz
September 17, 2004 07:29PM
not anymore than than anti-gayz reacting to dar public rally, just to keep tha peace* -RASpects+
September 17, 2004 07:33PM
Agreed on that, Jahmeek. You reap what you sow. On both sides.

One love,

Rootz
jjlab3
September 17, 2004 07:59PM
I don't know what drama. I am just stoked to see a show in Sac and meet some folks from this board over a couple of beers.

I guess these forums are for the exchang of opinions but it seems as if every thread gets bogged down in these discussions lately.
September 17, 2004 08:13PM
well lets make sure this one doesn't get bogged down. this thread is for beer, show at csus, lets meet up, vegetable matter, sacktown posters. and i suppose i should include zoki since he will probably make an appearance here anyway. jahbill sorta has a point about out front of socals not being the place to smoke. i have found, when i go to socals, that the back end of the building (small parking lot) works just fine. if not there we can all pile in to jahbills ride. see ya.
September 17, 2004 08:15PM
capleton will bun yours gay feelingz & cold beer drinking along with many otherz in his songs @ any givin' event . so now dat your warned pleaze dont be offended. -RASpects+
September 17, 2004 08:22PM
thank you for (sorta) staying on topic jahmeek. have an irie weekend.
September 17, 2004 08:29PM
>thanx i* am gonna work on it. but no good showz here dis weekend so i'll probley be@home working it! -RASpects+
BMC
September 17, 2004 08:30PM
Capleton: with or without speeches and songs about gays, he gives one of the wickedest shows in the business (based on what I saw ofcourse, which is quite a lot).

(and if you ask me one of the wickedest artists in the business)
jbwelda
September 17, 2004 09:16PM
jah bills "ride" will most likely be a mountain bike. no sense driving a car when its so close, assuming its not raining or something.

one love
jah bill
September 17, 2004 09:20PM
I call shotgun!

Would that be the handlebars?
jbwelda
September 17, 2004 09:26PM
that would be running alongside me and zana, bun!

one love
jah bill
September 17, 2004 09:27PM
>better gear on style peggz 2nite bill! i*would like a photo of dis break off for forum uze only* -RASpects+
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login