Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Any update on Capleton w/Cocoa Tea

Posted by Zana 
jjlab3
Re: Any update on Capleton w/Cocoa Tea
September 17, 2004 09:36PM
Right on Diretweed. Back lot of Socal's is the spot. If not a little ride up to East Portal would do the trick. I am going to bun the fiya in my throat with some cold Eye Of The Hawk on tap.

September 17, 2004 09:36PM
Oh, I don't "run"
September 17, 2004 09:37PM
Cocoa looks sleepy
September 17, 2004 09:53PM
>who'z tha razer on back up? >1LUV*+*+*+*+*+*+*+
September 17, 2004 09:56PM
Jah Bill, Capleton did make mention of gays at the River. My buddy and I both remember hearing it when he said, not that we cared. For the record, let me state again that I am against their views, but not to the point of action against them or booing them off stage. I realize it is part of their culture and I want that experience not a waterd down politically correct one. Let them perform and don't go if you don't like it.

As far as the show still being on, I got a call this morning from one of the guys putting the show on and he says it's still on. He was not aware of the turmoil recently over the gay issue. I asked him if anything was stirring yet about it and there was nothing. He planned to contact the universities up in Chico and Humboldt to see if they've had any objections. So he is aware of it now, but does not plan to change anything as of this point. I tried to explain to him the Bobo beliefs about gays and how they use fire to represent a spiritual cleansing of things and not that they are advocating violence or anything like that. This whole thing is being blown way out of proportion. I think he got the idea and hopefully they will stand their ground if met with some protest.

fourtwentyplenty
September 17, 2004 10:00PM
>give dem sumting to chat about @tha universities! yes i* let it get watered down nah matter cause no watah can put out dis fyah! -RASpects+
jbwelda
September 17, 2004 10:23PM
i didnt mean to say that he didnt make *mention* of them, i meant to say he didnt make mention of them in a manner that i found formented violence or anything and that is the crux of the issue. i see no problem in someone mentioning or even lecturing on things they dont like or dont agree with; the only possible problem i see that i would be against is plainly advocating violence against some one or some group of people (yet a lot of people do it all the time against other groups or people and no one seems to care much...a certain president would be an obvious example, both of a giver and of a target of such speech). imo brigadier jerry made an altogether valid reference at snwmf...someone might not agree with what he said but he didnt incite anyone to riot or anything of that sort. in my opinion that clearly falls with the "protected speech" realm of the first amendment.

now i hate to be cynical but just watch as this unfolds...they are being made aware of the situation and it will end up at the school presidents office and the show(s) will be pulled because of *perceived* problems based on half truths and innuendo. i hope not but im thinking in two weeks this isnt going to cool down, its going to get hotter. it probably would have been better to not call this to anyones attention and hope it remains under the radar, but the cat would have probably been out of the bag at some point anyhow.

anyway we will see how tolerant our so-called educational institutions are. i am hoping to have to eat my words on this one.

one love
jah bill
September 17, 2004 10:26PM
I got a dollar that you will go hungry, JB
September 17, 2004 10:34PM
>done deal . if u r a promoter why would u want to draw more attention. wha u want tha evening newz dar to spoil tha whole peace circle or sumting? jah people ride on' -RASpects+
September 17, 2004 10:34PM
I understood what you were saying bill and I assume that you understand, by my post, that I see it the way you do. Pretty soon they'll be handing out devices that you put up to your mouth when you speak and it will automatically censor anything deemed improper.

I was thinking that someone may cringe when reading my post and start yelling at the computer "Don't tell them about it you idiot!" It didn't actually happen just like that. They were aware that the RITP show was cancelled, just not why. Their concern was and is that the performers will scrap the trip because the first show is already cancelled, again not knowing why. I realize that it could turn into a bonfire(no pun intended), but they were already trying to find out what's up. It seems to me that if the cat is out of the bag, the best thing to do would be to show your support for the show by calling or e-mailing them. Unless you just want to stay quiet and hope it goes nowhere. I'm getting really tired of this crap and am willing to voice my support for the artists. I WANT REGGAE!!!!!!!!!

fourtwentyplenty
September 17, 2004 10:37PM
"if u r a promoter why would u want to draw more attention"

Uh, isn't that what a promoter does??????

I hate to state the obvious
September 17, 2004 10:50PM
differnt kind of attention if him a ras promoter in anyway> i*do certain damm gay lifestyle but @same time dats just how i* feel & not i* goal. just as capleton iz expressing himself, i* am,pretty sure he does not want his showz cancelled after dat matter az if datz all he iz about like he haz nothing good to seh because gay people r'ill in his choice & so on. schools really are only good for boasting sports & not much else. look what happened @kent state just az a reminder. but now dem will probley try & pass a law stating schools cant fund any artists for special events if dem say dat gay r' unmorel or what ever dey chow. dem gay functions probley have like a hit list of popular people dem want to attack. after recent events i* would not be surprised 1bit if it really doez excist in dat manner. -RASpects+
jbwelda
September 17, 2004 11:25PM
yes fourtwenty, 1984 is here 20 years late.

one love
jah bill
September 17, 2004 11:31PM
1984, indeed...

"Dead Nigger Storage Box," played by the Kansas-based band, The Brawlers: "We're open for business and packing them in/Got forty niggers in a garbage bin/On the streets they're selling crack/Got ten more in a burlap sack."

In "Unity Through Aggression," the Texas band White Wash sings: "There's a bigger enemy out there/Mud races coming, running the music/Running the sports, time to get off your ass/And do it for the white race. Chorus: Unity Through Aggression/White Unity Through Aggression/Unity Through Aggression/Time to bash some @#$%& heads."

If these guys were going to do a show on your local university campus, would you not demonstrate?

One love,

Rootz
September 17, 2004 11:32PM
thank you rootzilla. right on.
jbwelda
September 17, 2004 11:42PM
i dont think i would demonstrate, no. that would just give them more publicity and those kind of people thrive on publicity; it fuels their hate, gains them supporters and makes them think they are not so fringe as they really are.

but its a moot point anyway. i couldnt see any universities around here actually presenting anyone with those lyrics, at least not aimed at the group those particular passages are aimed at. its that PC thing again, and the PC pecking order at least here in cali.

one love
jah bill
September 17, 2004 11:44PM
OK, let me perhrase that: If you could stop them from doing the show by demonstrating, would you do so?

"i couldnt see any universities around here actually presenting anyone with those lyrics, at least not aimed at the group those particular passages are aimed at."

So why is it so otherworldly and alarming that they might want to censor anti-gay lyrics? Why is that so 1984?

One love,

Rootz
jbwelda
September 18, 2004 12:01AM
you fail to see the point rootz and im tired of making it. but i will humor you once more: look up the word "violence". it pretty much describes the lyrics you posted while it pretty much doesnt describe the lyrics i was dealing with. i *specifically* excluded violent or violence inciting lyrics from my "protected speech" bit above.

and my 1984 remark was directly in response to this:

"Pretty soon they'll be handing out devices that you put up to your mouth when you speak and it will automatically censor anything deemed improper."

and the key phrase there is "...anything deemed improper".

buenos dias...and buenos noches.

one love
jah bill
jbwelda
September 18, 2004 12:06AM
rootz sorry if i sounded a bit condescending...its been a long day.

one love
jah bill
September 18, 2004 12:14AM
Don't apologoze bill. You hit it right on the head. Rootz those lyrics were advocating violence. I don't see how that compares to expressing your beliefs through fire. I don't see these guys telling people to bash heads.

fourtwentyplenty
September 18, 2004 12:28AM
"I don't see how that compares to expressing your beliefs through fire."

How about expressing your views through guns? I think there's 'nuff lyrics of that variety too. And of course those bands would probably also tell you that "mud races" and "bashing in some heads" are metaphors too...

And Bill, your first response also missed my point. Of course a White Power band performing at a university campus would not happen and even if it did, it wouldn't reach the audience. But what if those lyrics were part of what was being offered to 'regular' audience within the context of popular music? That was my point. I was just wondering because so many people cry cencorship and seem to take this whole issue as an attack on reggae as a whole.

As for the "PC pecking order": The flipside of knee-jerk political correctness is unchecked cultural relativism.

One love,

Rootz
September 18, 2004 12:30AM
We'll just have to agree to disagree Rootz. I think we are on two different planes.

fourtwentyplenty
September 18, 2004 12:38AM
I guess the main difference is that you're able to enjoy the modern Jamaican music regardless of lyrics, whereas the lyrical content is what keeps me away from the modern records... And yeah, that metaphor thing was more a rather weak jab than a serious argument, I'll admit.

It's just that for me there's only slight difference in advocating violence and advocating hate.

One love,

Rootz
J
September 19, 2004 02:02AM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited to see a great show in Sac and to meet a lot of new people...sorry, what were you saying...
September 19, 2004 06:29AM
When rap music's lyrics were threatened to be censored in the '90s, the artists responded by making music dissing their critics.
When dancehall reggae music is threatened now into being censored, the artists respond by apologizing and claiming they didn't mean what they said.

Guess which form of music will stay truer to itself...
If the artists have no reason to fight for their own lyrical freedom, why should we?
September 19, 2004 10:28AM
Well, the US rappers fought that battle on their home turf. Here it's the case of artiists from a 2-mil. Island population trying to maintain presence in US and UK markets, so there's a difference.

One love,

Rootz
September 19, 2004 11:11AM
Depends on if the bands sought asylum in what many Universities declare their repective "Free Speech Zones"

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
September 19, 2004 05:20PM
And by doing so, they isolate themselves from their fanbase back home, Zilla...
September 19, 2004 05:39PM
True.

One love,

Rootz
Zana
September 20, 2004 12:45AM
Just drove through CSUS and saw a great big Capleton sign up.
Looks good to go on their end anyway. If weather is ok, I'll be riding my bike. Hopefully there will be no more hail and rain.
Cheers!
J
September 20, 2004 05:28AM
sept. 30th, right?
September 21, 2004 12:09AM
So, even though this thread has gone the way of Sacto, I wanted to let you all (especially any Chico folks who might be following this thread) know that I spoke with Ajamu after the Spearhead show on Thur. and he said that he (Ajamu) had signed the contract that day so there should be nothing to stop the Capleton show from happening at CSUC!!! (Yes, Jah Bill, they can still cancel, I know, but I am hopeful)

10/2-Bell Memorial Union @ Cal State-Chico (Chico)
Zana
September 21, 2004 01:30AM
Just picked up a flyer while at CSUS (yes, I go to school there)

Capleton with Special guest Cocoa Tea
PLUS Jah Thunder and Moses I

Sept 30th, 7:30 pm Serna Plaza.

For those of you who haven't been to CSUS, Serna Plaza is an outdoor grassy area that slopes down to the stage. Easy viewing.
If it is raining or just balls ass cold. the concert will most likely be inside Hinde Auditorium (right inside from Serna Plaza)

I would LOVE to meet people from the board. I'll probably be going alone so it would be nice to hang out.
Cheers!
J
September 21, 2004 04:01AM
I think I am going solo too, if that is a shock to anyone... man, do I always go to these things solo... I guess so, but thats okay, I hope to keep meeting new poeple. So yeah, Zana... we should try to find eachother. i have a feeling it will be a little easier than SNWMF.
Jah Bless
-Jacquie
ps- today was my first day of school... gosh i hate waking up early!
September 21, 2004 04:55PM
j - socals. 6pm. it appears that may be a meeting place before the show. see ya.
September 21, 2004 05:12PM
Don't feel bad Sis!

I think I will be going solo too!

I'm okay with that though!

Awakening
jjlab3
September 21, 2004 05:54PM
You all don't need to go alone. As stated above come to Socal's Tavern at 51st and Folsom at 6pm to meet some of the SNWMF message board crew. Drink a few pints and then head to the show.

Hope to see you all there.
September 21, 2004 06:06PM
Author: zoki dance partner (---.acordia.com)
Date: 09-21-04 09:55

j - socals. 6pm. it appears that may be a meeting place before the show. see ya.

please note - this WAS NOT posted by zoki dance partner. posted by dirtweed. thankyou.
September 21, 2004 06:15PM
are you going dirtweed ?
September 21, 2004 06:30PM
sho nuf. i live pretty close to sack state and socals.
September 21, 2004 06:34PM
Okay!!!!

I will be at Socals @ 6:00.

(smiling)

Awakening
September 21, 2004 06:36PM
I may cruise up to see cocoa and sleep in my van if I get rinsed.
September 21, 2004 06:51PM
yeah - this is something not to be missed (for sacramento area). cool thing is that it will be outdoors (hopefully) and the smoking light will be on. yo MFB - are you still flying in?
September 21, 2004 06:54PM
Nope, I am still going to RITP in SF though...
jbwelda
September 21, 2004 07:38PM
bufo you can park your van in my back yard if you want. but it will be an early show, i think it will probably be over by 10 or so.

one love
jah bill
September 21, 2004 08:06PM
yeah but what about the after hours party. when ya gonna announce that?
jbwelda
September 21, 2004 08:18PM
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:

special after hours party will be held for at least a month afterward, 24/7.

over at dw's house. tell em where you live dw. and its not on I street.

one love
jah bill
September 21, 2004 08:23PM
Well then,

Maybe we should bring some food??

A sleeping bag possibly?

Awakening
September 21, 2004 09:13PM
its always a party at my house. i lives at loaves and fishes. awakening - we already have a sleeping bag (zoki).
September 21, 2004 09:20PM
oops!!!

Okay

Awakening
September 21, 2004 09:23PM
have you thought of an excuse to get out of work that night yet? i bet if you asked (or maybe even if you don't) you can get a whole bunch of them right off this board.
September 21, 2004 09:25PM
Careful...
September 21, 2004 09:26PM
Well, I am just going to take PTO time,(paid time off) that way I don't have to think of an excuse. I am not a convincing liar. I work in recovery and my coworkers can spot deception a mile away.

Awakening
September 21, 2004 09:27PM
hi money fi bun - it seems to me that you had a big ol' list of "get out of work" excuses a while ago. c'mon and help awakening out. she is from cape verde. and why don't you use one next week so you can see cocoa tea/capelton?
September 21, 2004 09:28PM
Now that's comedy!
September 21, 2004 11:09PM
Cheers for the backyard offer Bill, I'll see how the night shapes up, if it's that early of a finish I'll probably be fine to drive back down. 10 seems very early, why do think it will finish then ? Wouldn't that put Cocoa on around 7.30 p.m. I'd be rushed to even get up there in time for that.
jbwelda
September 21, 2004 11:13PM
because the show probably has a very early curfew (this is sacramento after all and its on the campus). might run till 11pm but i would think that would be the absolute latest. i could be wrong though. and yes i think coco tea will probably be on around 7:30 or 8 at the latest.

one love
jah bill
September 21, 2004 11:17PM
Nice one Bill, I'm glad you brought it up, by Bay Area standards I probably would have arrived in time for Capletons encoure ! I can make realistic plans now.
September 22, 2004 02:51PM
I will be heading down the hill to check it out. It will be a great weekend.
Capleton & Cocoa Tea on Thursday
UK Subs in San Jose on Friday
RITP on Sat and Sun
Groundation Sat night. i
September 22, 2004 03:42PM
What is UK Subs?????
September 22, 2004 04:09PM
A great band I saw a few times in the late seventies, early eighties. It's been more than twenty years since I saw them, so I can't vouch for them today, Police Car was my favorite song.
[www.anarchistuk.com]
September 22, 2004 09:38PM
Drum roll, Capleton/Coco Tea CANCELLED in Chico. (yes Jah Bill, I know) Talked with Ajamu and they didn't sign the contract within the date given so he cancelled them. Might be just a matter of time for Sacto to follow suit. Might want to give a call down there and make sure it's still before you all get too silly with your plans.
September 22, 2004 09:47PM
UK Subs are a late 70s punk band. Reggae/Dub played an important part in UK punk (The Clash & The Slits especially) in the 70s even here in the US with Bad Brains & much later Operation Ivy. I got into reggae through the punk scene 17 years ago, I heard Dead Kennedys & Peter Tosh back to back at a friends house. I've loved both styles of music since. But now it's mostly reggae.
September 22, 2004 10:20PM
DO you think that Sacramento will be cancelled as well?

Awakening
September 22, 2004 10:47PM
sack state is a retrogressive college. they kill chickens. they will not cancel capelton just because he wants to blow up gays with bazookas. and do i detect some jealousy in your phrase "silly with your plans"? my feeling is: 1) cocoa tea/capelton plays for us after a bracer at socals. 2) cocoa tea/capelton do not play. we all hang after a bracer at socals. either way i am hoping to meet some (most, all) of those who say they will show up.
jjlab3
September 23, 2004 12:11AM
Damn it!!!!! It is not looking good when Chico gets cancelled.

Please don't cancel CSUS.
September 23, 2004 12:17AM
>dirtweed is mixxing beenie man & capleton's lyrics together now. is dis how these gay wanna b'z tink or wha? first beenie claim independent & capleton bobo so big difference in style of words used in their songs by far forsure. -RASpects+
September 23, 2004 12:20AM
It sounds like Chico was cancelled due to promoter error or slackness, hopefully that wont effect Sac, although I guess it would make it less worth while to travel to the area in general.
Zana
September 23, 2004 03:47AM
CSUS has been canceled.
September 23, 2004 04:25AM
really now...
sisAJoI
September 23, 2004 04:39AM
HA!
I knew it....
what about santa cruz? Daniel, does the I think it will hold?
September 23, 2004 05:52AM
Man, it's a good thing we still have soundmen here not afraid to burn out the chi-chi, otherwise the Gay Area would be completely dancehall-free by now.
September 23, 2004 06:14AM
Actually Bufo, the Chico show was cancelled because Capleton didn't sign the contract. The promoter did his part and waited til the last minute before he had to call it. As Jah Bill said somewhere at the beginning of this thread, it would probably come down to this, last minute business. Don't go knocking promoters when you don't know the story. Nothing against you Bufo, your comments are often right on point, just irritates me when people start throwing that stuff around without knowing the whole story. Peace
September 23, 2004 02:12PM
Apologies then Empress, I genuinely misread the first announcement as meaning the promoter had not signed the contracts in time. I wouldn't knock promoters unjustified, I know many and am aware of the difficulties in the business.
jbwelda
September 23, 2004 04:13PM
sounds to me like they are just going to throw in the towel on the tour. i wouldnt hold my breath for santa cruz.

where did you hear that zana?

empress i was going to tell bufo the same thing. ajamu is usually pretty on top of things and its not really like he is a "promoter", these AS things dont get "promoted" in the usual sense since they are paid for by the student association usually (at least at csus and i would assume at csuc too).

one love
jah bill
jjlab3
September 23, 2004 04:19PM
The CSUS web site lists the show as cancelled.

What a bummer. Man sometimes it is real difficult to be a Sacramento reggae fan.

Would have been great to catch you all at Socal's maybe next time.
September 23, 2004 04:25PM
It's a crying shame.
September 23, 2004 04:26PM
I am not taking this news very well at all.

I was really looking forward to meeting some new people here.

Oh well, maybe something else will come up for me.

Awakening
September 23, 2004 05:05PM
culture at harlots saturday 10-3. i bet a lot of us will be there. wanna try for harlots?
jjlab3
September 23, 2004 05:21PM
I am going to try and make that show since Cpleton is cancelled.

Anybody want to meet before for a drink? Monekybar? Limelight? Raven?
jbwelda
September 23, 2004 05:28PM
i dont even go near harlows and its only a couple blocks from my house.

on the other hand we could still meet up at socals, eh?

one love
jah bill
September 23, 2004 05:33PM
i'm thinking the same thing about socals jahbill. so thursday at socals, saturday at raven?
September 23, 2004 05:43PM
I will still go to socals. Since I have already arranged to have the time off work.

Where is Raven?

Awakening
September 23, 2004 06:43PM
CLUB RAVEN: 3246 j st. near between 34th & alhambra. local dive bar. nice tattoos. friendly. "smoking" (ahem) area out back.
September 23, 2004 07:10PM
Ah!!!

Sounds nice!

(cough)

Awakening
jbwelda
September 23, 2004 07:30PM
i guess the rave has changed from the last time i was in there. it was always known as an "angry drunk" dive back in the 80s. i guess the college crowd took it over.

one love
jah bill
jjlab3
September 23, 2004 07:46PM
So Socal's Thursday is still on? 6pm?

Raven on Saturdaybefore the show? What time?
jjlab3
September 23, 2004 08:24PM
STOP THE PRESSES!!!!!

Just heard a rumor from a dependable source that Capleton and Cocoa Tea have been added to the Culture show at Harlow's!!!!!!

That is a serious triple threat show!!!!

Should be announced real soon.
September 26, 2004 11:15PM
Where is HArlow's? Sacramento?
September 27, 2004 01:05AM
Harlows in on J Street in downtown Sacramento between 27th and 28th street. It has hosted many Renegade reggae shows. Capleton, Culture, and Coco Tea are definitely playing on Oct. 2. They are also playing at the Tahoe Biltmore on Oct. 1st.
Renegade took on these shows because Sacramento State, Chico State, Humboldt State, and Reggae In The Park all cancelled Capleton. Dancehall fans...feel fortunate that there is still a promoter out there who brings over 100 reggae shows to California and Oregon each and every year. No discrimination whatsoever on who plays and who doesn't. Come out and support Capleton and support reggae in general.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login