Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

what reggae radio shows are the best in Cali?

Posted by dave kapp 
what reggae radio shows are the best in Cali?
September 17, 2004 12:04PM
We have been sending cd's to west coast reggae dj's. If you can, please let me know which reggae shows are the best (at non-commercial stations) in California.

There is a HUGE list at jammin reggae archives and we have been using it as a guide. We have hit a handful so far, but we want to be sure to get to all the right dj's.

We have sent copies to these stations
KPFA - Berkeley, CA
KCRW - Santa Monica, CA
KALW - San Francisco, CA
KUSP - Santa Cruz, CA

Any help with others would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dave Kapp
for HAILE UNLIKELY
www.haileunlikely.com

dub against dubya! download KING NUKLA at haileunlikely.com

Re: what reggae radio shows are the best in Cali?
September 17, 2004 12:07PM
Ahh the sweet sound of air play,
All I can say is good luck and good carma my friend.
Peace & Love

-={Truth to All}=-
jbwelda
September 17, 2004 12:11PM
kkup somewhere (san francisco?)
kfjc foothill jr college in the south bay
kusf university of san francisco
kpoo san francisco
kdvs university of california davis
kvmr nevada city
kalx berkeley

all the above have (or have had) multiple great reggae programming.

never heard of kalw in san francisco

one love
jah bill
September 17, 2004 12:13PM
KBOO - Portland

Ras Danny will play anything...
sisAJoI
September 17, 2004 12:51PM
KZFR 90.1 Chico, CA plays dub-roots-dancehall 3 times a week....
530 895 0788
Kind Herb
September 17, 2004 12:59PM
KSJS - San Jose State Univ.
KSCU - Santa Clara Univ.

Are two more college stations you might consider.

Good luck,

Kind Herb
September 17, 2004 01:16PM
you are too modest jb. you forgot 88.7 sacrament public access.
sisAJoI
September 17, 2004 01:18PM
92.5 station up in Nevada City kicks roots
jbwelda
September 17, 2004 02:24PM
dw i dont deal with that "station" anymore nor do i care to publicize it. peer piddly business they have over there. i tried hard to get them to progress rather than regress but it just got too difficult. you wouldnt believe some of the attitudes there. when i was doing my show i couldnt even monitor it properly because the "noise" would "disturb" someone. after 5 years i just had enough and tossed it in. too bad too because at one time it had potential. i hear they are now simulcasting kpfa sometimes so maybe the situation will improve in the future, but what they really need is to find a real "radio" frequency, not that cable tv bs. and they need to find someone to properly promote the thing so that someone out there knows about it...they wouldnt allow self promotion even!

sorry to whine, it was just very frustrating trying to talk sense to those people.

one love
jah bill
September 17, 2004 03:46PM
yeah haven't heard it for a while but i have a hard time getting that station anyway. i liked the idea of tuning to SAP on your tv and listening to reggae tho.
Chip
September 17, 2004 04:21PM
Can't leave out Reggae Makosa with Makeda Dread on 91.1x San Diego Massive, Sunday nights 8-10pm. They've got the Midnite return later this month at the World Beat Center. Check it out and contact. [www.91x.com]
September 18, 2004 02:06PM
KDVS 90.3 Univerity of Davis can't remember his name Sun. 10Am-1PM ?

KFJC 89.7 Foothill College Los Altos Spliff Skankin'

KPFA 94.1 Spliff Skankin', Tony Moses, & Paiga Paiga Tues, 10pm-12AM -Wed 1:30am -600am

KVMR 89.5 Grass Valley Fri 7pm-9pm

Radio Bilingue various Nationwide and Mexico but it broadcats from Fresno - DJ Wendy Russel
www.radiobilingue.com
September 18, 2004 02:15PM
I wouldn't consider it the best, but out in sonoma i host a show every sunday 2-4 on KSVY 91.3. I'm always willing to play new music. Peace.

September 19, 2004 02:33PM
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR REPLIES!!!

even the less than enthusiastic ones - believe me, I know. The band is in it for LOVE and not money, so it's all cool. Thanks to all west coast idren.

Maximum respect
September 19, 2004 02:58PM
The KUSF Saturday Night Rockers show is probably the most prestigious in the Bay Area, tho Spliff Skankin's shows are a long-time staple also.
Send a copy to KALX also ;-)
September 20, 2004 10:07AM
KZFR CHICO
KKUP CUPERTINO (SANTA CRUZ)
musichead
September 20, 2004 01:41PM

all and ANY roots radio shows is good for ALL OF US! an we all have many style's of the way we like our ROOT'S for ME
k.u.s.p fm 88.9 fm k.k.u.p.91.5 fm - k.z.s.c 88.1fm K.H.D.C 90.9 FM
24yr,s 10yr's 15yr,s 19yr,s
i think lance from k.u.s.p can teach me the name's of the singer,s & players from THe 70-80's like a school teacher learning the roots from the inside out i like learning about that. k.k.u.p dj's ALL bring a very wide range of reggae and the best thing is you can ALWAYS find out what's up in the AREA all the show's an band's playing around.(ALL THE THINGS PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW)
i don't think radio DJ'S get PAID like ARTIST but are ALWAY's are doing work's for BAND'S CLUB'S PROMOTERS . but back to just the RADIO the REAL DJ'S will alway's be TRUE real talk just being yourself--- not a fake voice don't talk the talk an trick your LISTENER'S that style is ok sometime's/ but just for me i rather listen just the music an not the DJ, an i do respect the DJ'S with skill's like that.
DJ'S come an GO all the time well over the year's. the best ARE the one's PEOPLE KNOW'S THERE NAME'S an maybe NOT but all DJ'S work hard too!
and if we had 24hrs roots radio in n.cali would be nice. go on line to live365.com check it reggae on the web getting better. i listen 24hrs OF DUBS--ROOTS-REGGAE- all kind of reggae NO DJ'S TALKING JUST MUSIC but real local DJ'S WILL ALWAYS HAVE A JOB TO DO. BUT local dj's play music over & over again week after week for year's too i love the roots from the 70s & 80s for real's i do but the same thing over is too much. roots music from around the world is getting better to find on line. k.p.f.a k.k.u.p k.z.s.c k.h.d.c k.u.s.p and all n.cali station supporting REGGAE has my vote for being the BEST station's.
September 20, 2004 02:15PM
Ras Danny here of Higher Reasoning Reggae Time, KBOO Community Radio 90.7 FM, www.kboo.fm

contrary to what muny fi bun says, I WILL NOT PLAY "ANYTHING"...

I have a tall stack of s*#t sent to I that I would nevah play, ...and....
"King Nukla" is buried somewher in that stack... sorry if that hurts anyone feelin's but thats just the way it is...

nuff respect anyway
Ras Danny RAW# 301
Higher Reasoning Reggae Time

September 20, 2004 02:31PM
***biting tongue***
TrevorB
September 20, 2004 09:24PM
I too have been checking live365.com a lot lately. Lots of good reggae stations. I listen to KJAH Reggae Radio all the time, which is run here out of San Diego. Here's a link [www.live365.com] for KJAH, or just browse the reggae section on live365.com.
musichead
September 21, 2004 01:48PM
yes-i kjah is a very good 1 AND i know the DJ from S.D too he's in A very good band from S.D too players that play in real show can make very good dee jays because i think they are in tune with the sound other djs are NOT checking for SOMETIMES like i said check it all out too. all style are cool too I love the DUB
just for me ,but i'll tune in to any station i can too. reggae-jazz-dub--salsa--funk---R & B-- anything that as a good feeling and a band sound, something real to the SOUL.

respect ( KJAH ) mr.alex(jahtowers) an DR.DICKS DUB SHACK live365

check out WINAMP too great reggae an dubs too.

worldwide dub style's is good. ONE LOVE!
September 22, 2004 09:47AM
I don't want to claim my show is best, but I have been playing reggae music every week on KUCI since 1997 on Uptown Top Ranking www.kuci.org www.uptowntopranking.com WEDS 10am-1pm Pacific
October 04, 2004 08:33AM
thanks big jim. cd is on the way
October 04, 2004 08:42AM
yes Ras Danny,

I'm sure the comment about you playing "anything" was meant as a compliment and not in a derogatory manner. We are gld you received KING NUKLA and appreciate your honesty. No feelings hurt. (Bob Marley - it aint!)

We just hope you can find time to spin this one once or twice before the election. We believe the anti-bush message in this song is extremely important.

Also because the such sentiments have no outlet in the mainstream media.

Regards and nuff thanks
October 04, 2004 08:49AM
PS - Thanks to everyone who replied to this post. All stations (all the ones that had a mailing addresses listed - most did) have been sent cd's. We appreciate your help very much indeed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login