jbwelda
Re: Did anyone reach the Unity Clash in Berkeley
September 20, 2004 03:55PM
how was it?

one love
jah bill
September 20, 2004 08:05PM
It was actually a great clash, very close. Came down to Jah Warrior and TNT Soundstation (as always), but the finish was very controversial.
It was supposed to be 5-for-5 in the dub-fi-dub...but they were about even so the MC allowed one more tune. TNT got the bigger forward for theirs (Ninjaman "Murder Dem" on Punanny riddim), and the crowd voted 2-3 times. To me it seemed clear TNT got more votes than JW (tho it was close), but the MC stepped in after the final vote and said HE felt Jah Warrior won and gave them the trophy & cash prize.

Anyway, I won't get any more specific at the moment (informers there bouts), just curious if someone else on here had an opinion on the clash.
Fresno Crew
September 26, 2004 03:50PM

You bet I reached it!

I drove 3 hours for the clash and then 3 hours home right after: TNT should have won that clash, not just for the judgement after the LAST round, but for all THREE rounds that they clearly swept. And WHY was Lustre Kings out after the first round? They got a forward for EVERY tune they played, Sizzla dubs, Luci dubs, etc. Did the MC forget this 'cuz they played first?

It SHOULD have gone like this:

Jah Warrior out after first round
Revelation out after second round (what's up with dude's lip-syncing?)
TNT vs. Lustre Kings for the dub fi dub

Anyways, all sounds did really well and we heard GREAT dubs from all four sounds. Respect to ALL sound systems worldwide!

-spleece
September 26, 2004 05:54PM
Excellent review, spleece...I agree on all your main points:
Jah Warrior gets by on their rep...and the reason the MC gave them the trophy at the end is because he is a Ras and didn't like TNT saying cusswords on the mic.
Lustre Kings played nuff big tunes, tho my only complaint may be that they were too regular...but big respect for being able to get "Its a Pity" and "Earth a Run Red" in original style on dubplate same way.
I didn't notice lip-synching by the Revelation mic man. They played some big tunes, but got counteracted in the second round too much to advance. In general I think sounds that play first in a round are always at a disadvantage, because their dubs get counteracted and the crowd doesnt remember what they played as well.

Big ups, sound clash can never die...
jjlab3
September 28, 2004 01:48PM
Nah but I did reach the Pixies show at the Greek. The Pixies sounded better than ever.

Great show.
September 28, 2004 02:07PM
The Pixies suck.
Acacia
September 28, 2004 02:10PM
A little jealous?
September 28, 2004 02:25PM
Hey jjlab3, I saw them on their 2nd or 3rd performance together before the offical tour took off. They only played works from their first 3 albums and left Bossanova and Trompe Le Monde totally out.

Did they play any of their newer works or just the same old stuff?

When I saw them, Kim was in the middle of Gigantic and she was smoking a cig. They just kept the riddim going and Kim finally said in the mic, "I can't remember the next verse" so the whole crowd yelled out the lines and she spit her cig and started singing.

I was terribly impressed with Joey Santiago.
September 28, 2004 02:37PM
Acacia, My grass is very very green.
Acacia
September 28, 2004 02:47PM
Allright, I was just kidding.
September 28, 2004 02:49PM
I know.

I should have said green like my money.
September 28, 2004 09:15PM
Yeah, I was there and agree with everyone else who was there with eyes and ears that T-n-T shoulda won that thing!! The MC (Tony MOses I believe) is down with Jah Warrior Shelter Crew (he does the radio show TUes. nites with Ivier and Spliff Skankin). I lost respect for Jah Warrior Shelter b/c they have won for the past 3 years and they clearly lost this soundclash. They got hexa more boo's than any other sound system there, but they did have good dub plates. They didn't kill it like Doogie though. BTW, for those who don't know TnT soundstation is from Trinidad and they been reppin in the Bay for a while. A majority of the black people in the audiance (which is rare at any reggae gig these days in Nor. Cal) were feeling robbed, once agin, of they culture. We felt like the thing was rigged, there was no way that JWS was gonna lose.

Love Right, Live Right
September 28, 2004 11:29PM
A majority of the black people in the audiance (which is rare at any reggae gig these days in Nor. Cal) were feeling robbed, once agin, of they culture. We felt like the thing was rigged, there was no way that JWS was gonna lose.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Respect for that, LaLuna. I've tried explaining that to people (including JWS selector _________ himself), but they just don't get it. Well, the black folks do but you know how that goes....
Fish
September 28, 2004 11:36PM
"Tony MOses I believe"

Is that the dread with glasses who can't deejay at all, but still takes up the mike and tries at Jah Warrior Shelter's nights at the Oasis? If so, from what I've seen he seems to be a member of the Jah Warrior Shelter crew, and so would be a very poor choice of referee!
September 28, 2004 11:56PM
Yea, one and the same, Fish. Not only him, but Rocker T (aka Cock in Teeth) and all other hangers-on were running their mouth on the mic while each of the other sounds had only one selector and one mic man to represent their set.

People outside afterwards were screaming the same thing as LaLuna, that it was a setup from the start. From what I witnessed, it's tough to argue against that notion.
jjlab3
September 29, 2004 09:20AM
On Saturday night the Pixies played songs from every album.

My memeory is a little hazy but I know for sure they played Planet of Sound, Subbacultcha, and U Mass off of Trompe Le Monde.

My wife is the big Pixies fan and said that they played songs from Bossanova as well. They sounded ral tight and Joey Santiago is one of the most underrated axe men in the business.

By the way down on Shattuck after the show I saw this club that had a marquee saying they had dancehall reggae that night. right across the street from Beckett's. Was that where the sound clash was?
September 29, 2004 09:27AM
Nice, Thanks for the follow-up.

I never saw them play when they were first together, I was a punk Jr High school kid in the late 80's. It was nice to see them after all these years...not the fan I once was. It was a stroll down memory lane for sure.
jbwelda
September 29, 2004 09:34AM
tony moses is an irie brethren from way back. i dont know about his dj skills but his emcee skills are beyond reproach if you ask me, maybe he was having a bad night. having him as judge seems a little unfair though.

these sound clash things are stupid. there i said it. let it echo in the canyons of your mind.

one love
jah bill
rustfan
September 29, 2004 11:15AM
These sound clash/soundbwoy records are about as exciting as washing dishes or taking out the trash...

Yep, we all have different tastes but everytime I hear one of those 'my sound is better than your sound' battles, it reminds of little kids flingin' sand at each other durning recess. Might be all in fun, but honestly, I dont see how people can take more than two minutes of this stuff....

I bought that Garnet Silk cd "Killamanjaro Remembers (Garnet Silk)" not realizing that all the songs were Garnet Silk biggin up the Killamanjaro's sound system.
Shoulda spent my $10 on a pizza instead.

Now, compare that to a 'normal' Garnet Silk cd/lp/song where Silk 'just' sings and does his thing - now that's worth more than $10/cd.

And sure, I know the soundbwoy thing has been going on in JA for a long time, and it's still kinda popular - but imo, just because this style has a 'history' to it, doesn't mean it's great.
September 29, 2004 11:21AM
Yes I. Tony Moses (aka The Chansing Master) deserves nuff respect. One of my first exposures to reggae music came from listening to his program "The Reggae Experience" on Bay Area radio in the 70's. Add to that his work with The Rastafarians and his decades of radio dj and MC, and you have a true reggae ambassador. BIG UP to Tony Moses.... everytime

September 29, 2004 11:36AM
If you don't like soundclash, then shut up about it. This thread does not concern you.
pat
September 29, 2004 11:45AM
"music is a mission, not a competition."

capleton, anthony b
September 29, 2004 11:50AM
what you are saying is that if anyone doesn't agree with you - shut up? you are a real piece of work chimino. why don't you start your own message board so you can better control what is said.
September 29, 2004 12:01PM
That is as stupid dirtweed. Let it echo in the canyons of your mind.

See, it doesnt feel very good does it.
September 29, 2004 12:08PM
mfb - i don't understand your post, what do you mean??
jbwelda
September 29, 2004 12:13PM
chimino i will let you know when i need to have you tell me when to post. i guess you would say the same to jah shaka then?

i really like the way you diss rocker t too...i think you should follow your own advice. i think youre just jealous of jws because they wont let you play or something, regardless of how this "clash" turned out. it seems to be a recurring topic in your posts. why dont you start your own gig? oh thats right, no drivers license.

one love
jah bill
September 29, 2004 12:31PM
Now now oh testy ones.
September 29, 2004 01:07PM
I'm saying that Chimino tried to start a conversation about the Clash and JB stuck his nose in and said "these sound clash things are stupid. there i said it. let it echo in the canyons of your mind. "
Thereby belittling Chimino's reggae interests. Chimino retaliated telling him to shut up (because JB has said many many times that he disapproves of sound clashes, he has been very vocal about it) that this thread doesn't concern him.

So, I made a little corrolation to this conflict in reply to the narrow view of your reply, "what you are saying is that if anyone doesn't agree with you - shut up? you are a real piece of work chimino. why don't you start your own message board so you can better control what is said."
by saying, "That is as stupid dirtweed. Let it echo in the canyons of your mind. "

Post Edited (09-29-04 13:27)
September 29, 2004 01:08PM
respect.
rustfan
September 29, 2004 01:15PM
JB, my guess - Chimino's dart was probably thrown my way. Just expressing an opinion (which is probably worth about as much as your response).

Chimino, looks like you took that soundbwoy trophy, filled it up with sand and poured it right over my head. Feels like I just came back from the beach. Sandman clash stylee - all in fun, all in fun...
September 29, 2004 01:38PM
thanks mfb. now i understand. yes my reply was caustic but i don't think anyone should say "shut up" just because of a difference of opinion. that to me is a very narrow view. no biggie.
September 29, 2004 01:46PM
Cool, dirtweed. I am probably not in the best of moods right now.
rustfan
September 29, 2004 02:33PM
Money Fi Bun,

You make a good point about 'belittling Chimino's (or anyones') reggae interests' - hopefully my post didn't come off as a knock against Chimino - more so directed at a style of reggae/dancehall that I don't care for....

Even though I don't care for that stylee - there's probably a lot of people who could say the samething rough about something I like.....

Dirtweed, I still agree with you about anyone saying 'shut up' as a retort - I'm sure Chimino could probably come up with something more creative than that....

As Chick Hearn used to say, "no blood, no harm, no foul." Time to put the mustard back on the hot dog.
September 29, 2004 02:45PM
time to put the hot dog back in the bun.
jbwelda
September 29, 2004 02:50PM
me belittling chimis interests? you must be mad. go back and read what he implies about tony moses, what he says about rocker t, what he has said in the past about, oh, how cds suck and all that and then tell me, mr money, who is belittling who?

btw, sound clashes are stupid. how exactly does one impartially judge such things? answer: they dont. why? because you cant. it always comes down to someones opinion. and then all these hangers on (i believe that was chiminos term, i also believe it fits him more than anyone) stand around and cry about how it was "rigged" or something. wha wha wha.

thats why they are stupid, and this one seemed to follow suit. i dont listen to reggae music to hear some fools yell into a microphone about how they rule. if they rule, then they should play some decent music, not expensive "dubplates" with lukewarm do overs claiming how the sound in question is the greatest when in most cases they havent even heard of them nor heard them play out. hey linval thompson cut me a special (well more like just a jingle) where he says jah bill rules. does that make it so? i sure hope not; linval dont really know me from dirt. and i sure dont "rule" anything. (thanks though linval, i play that thing to myself all the time...im too embarrassed to actually play it for anyone else though).

i would prefer someone just get up there and play some music or at the most take some time to do some quality voiceovers that really say something.

one love
jah bill
jbwelda
September 29, 2004 02:53PM
by the way chimino, i dont mean to be picking on you here but im reacting to your post.

one love
jah bill
rustfan
September 29, 2004 02:59PM
JB,

Go back and listen to Linval Thompson dubplate again - I'm sure that he says Jah Phil, not Jah Bill...
jbwelda
September 29, 2004 03:03PM
that would be on the twinkle brothers set rustfan...but ha ha anyhow. that would explain it were it true. my buddy jah phil does rule, something i guess...

one love
jah bill
jbwelda
September 29, 2004 03:11PM
i just went back and relistened to that again to check, rustfan, and i had been hearing it all wrong all these years; linval actually says "jah bill you drool". so i guess he was correct on that.

one love
jah bill
rustfan
September 29, 2004 03:24PM
....to complicate the issue - some people drool over dubplates.
September 29, 2004 03:28PM
I think we all need a nap.
rustfan
September 29, 2004 03:32PM
I need something - but a nap is not it.....well, wait, rewind - haul and pull up, maybe a nap isn't a bad idea.
September 29, 2004 03:59PM
Respectfully I can't disagree with you more about the Garnett Silk comment rustfan. You should give a listen to the Conquering Lion Meets Garnett Silk album.

fourtwentyplenty
SisAJoI
September 29, 2004 04:15PM
Bun what do you need to lively up?

A new dubplate might do itsmiling smiley
September 29, 2004 04:15PM
or maybe a doobplate.
September 29, 2004 04:50PM
I did just drop a bun of money at the record store...
September 29, 2004 09:54PM
Billy boy, why would you waste my time asking how the clash went, if you feel they are all stupid. Perhaps because your boyfriend Papa Moses' name was mentioned? Or is that Rocker Tief. I won't bother explaining why the latter deserves a verbal lashing, since you don't care, but anyone who was there would understand.

Rustfan, my comment was partially directed towards you, but don't feel no way bout it. We all have our own tastes in music.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One thing tho, and this is specifically directed at Billy--- reggae music originated from the dancehall and sound clash in particular.

From Coxone and Reid battling each other every week with their sets, creating new specials to play in the dance that very night and sway the crowd towards their sound.
Forward to Prince Buster breaking from Coxsone to create his own sound, and recording specials to specifially bad up Coxsone's sound (while taking Matchouki along with him for the ride).
Forward to 1979: while the international base was following MArley and Tosh's rock-laden concerts, back in Yard sounds like Stereophonic with the original slackness DJ General Echo were clashing other sounds like King Sturgav, newly created by Daddy U-Roy and featuring DJs such as Ranking Joe and Brigadier Jerry. Were Bob marley tunes topping Jamaican charts at that time? No.
Forward to 1985: a youth named Tenor Saw created lyrics on the spot for Youthman Promotion sound (alongside Sugar Minott) to kill Jammys, Arrows and Black Scorpio in a 4-way clash. "Four big sounds inna one big lawn/The don sound ah play while the other three calm". Went onto become one of the biggest hits of the 1980s ("Ring the Alarm"winking smiley.
Forward to 1995: the two biggest sets King Addies from New York and Killamanjaro from Jamaica face off in Portmore for world supremacy. JAro wins the dance and the dubplates rinsed by selector Ricky Trooper bust many careers that year (including Anthony cool smiley while resurrecting others (including Admiral Bailey and Beenie Man, who was on the ropes after his own battle with the Killer).
Forward to 1999: Killamanjaro ends its 4-year killing spreee in NYC by losing to a little-known Japanese sound named Mighty Crown. Crown's victory opens up recognition of non-Jamaicans everywhere, gaining respect for not only Japan but Europe, America and everywhere else reggae music is played for us to be not only spectators but active participants. New artists who were bussed that night include Mad Anju and Vybz Kartel.

Sound systems and sound clash have always dictated the direction of reggae music. They've been there from the beginning and will be there when all is said & done. That is why (as the poster LaLuna pointed out) the largest West Indian crowds in the Bay Area show up for sound clashes and Stone Love dances....while the rest of you await the next appearance of Midnite and John Brown's Body & argue reggae music is only what you hear on your moldy-oldie reissues from Blood & Fire.

Now let those facts "echo in the canyons of your mind", fassy.
jbwelda
September 30, 2004 08:55AM
nice...billy, boyfriend, fassy.

are you trying to tell me something chimino?

re: your history above, yeah i have the rough guide to reggae too. actually i was in jamaica during some of that time. but thanks for the refresher.

one love
jah bill
September 30, 2004 12:07PM
youre welcome.
Papa Smoke
September 30, 2004 04:55PM
First off Chimino- you sure sound like an angry guy("Cock in Teeth"winking smiley!
The beaty of the Sound Clash is that it brings out peoples true emotions. I just got a chance to listen to the CD of the UNITY CLASH. If you listen to the CD it is clear as a bell how the mc-Tony Moses made all of his decisions. A sound advances to the next round based on crowd noise. First round, yes Lustre King had bigger dubs than anyone and they got a forward every tune, but after round 1 was over they didn't get the forward to go on. After the Champion Round Tony Moses asked the crowd who won, and the place erupted. Since there was so much noise for both crews he asked again to make noise but without whistles and horns, then if you listen to the cd, Jah Warrior gets more of a forward. That's what Tony Moses based his decision on, raw crowd applause, then you can get a feel for the real number of people forwarding. Another way to judge on the cd is dub for dub, listening to the cd I tallied three for JWS, two for TNT and one even round, on crowd hype and the dub itself. Yes I think the Ninja killed the Dillinger in the last round but Tony had to ask the crowd 2-3 times until it was clear for the over all winner. Bottom line, no matter who played what the crowd had already made up their mind who they were supporting when they got their. Tony Moses was picked to mc the clash because he is an elder in the reggae community from Jamaica and been forwarding reggae in the bay since the 70's. He loves Jah Warrior true, as well as Doogie and Lustre equally and anyone who keeps reggae music positive, that's why he called TNT out for their cussing. The cd will be available shortly, they will be $10, let me know if you need one.
Respectfully,
Papa Smoke
reaggae mamma
September 30, 2004 09:54PM
I can't believe all the negativity from some of you cats(chimino). You talk as though people are doing you a disrespect. But isn't you is doing the disrespecting? All the people you are dissing-Tony Moses,Rocker T,Jah Warrior Shelter ect -are always showing positive vibes. It's the negative vibes from you,because what? the sound you were rooting for didn't win? Or that you are a dj that isn't working and hating on those who are. My advice:check the mirror man, positive people get the works!
And by the way,I wasn't aware that reggae vibes could only be enjoyed by a black person. I thought it was all about equality and the love of reggae music. Black ,white,asian-whoever ,we all have one thing in common-the love of the music.
I hope someday your eyes open.......until then good luck
September 30, 2004 10:11PM
Respect Mr Smoke,
As I stated originally it was very close, probably dead even as far as crowd noise. But given the fact TNT got a much better forward for their final dub, and had a bigger first round (second was probably a draw, JW did have a point about TNT playing a couple 90s tunes).
And one thing, you did ask the crowd if they thought the cash should've been split 50/50 (a good idea, in retrospect) but they didn't go for it. I respect Ras Moses & all he's done over the years on the scene (along with Spliff Skankin et al) but think next time you should be the MC. I don't like the idea of celebrity MCs, whether here or at an Irish & Chin World Clash...because they give their opinions and tend to sway the dance one way or another.

The Rocker T thing, since it keeps getting brought up: he's a Jah Warrior DJ, but he had no business being part of the clash. He's a big reason JWS caught so much boo that night. DJ & soundman thing should stay seperate. If any of you are familiar with the Jaro vs Rodigan NY clash in 1997, where Supercat would not get off the mic & almost lost the clash for JAro/Trooper, you know what I mean.
What particularly pissed me off is when he twice got on the mic to say "If you boo, then you nah have no Empress", when it was mostly the Trini girls who were booing JWS in the first place. Straight up dis to the females in the audience, who are crucial at any dance.

Yes I would very much like a copy of that CD(s), link me at the_natural2002@yahoo.com (since you didnt leave your addy)

PS reggae mama, you missed the entire point of my postings. read again, please.

Respect & blessings
Fish
September 30, 2004 11:38PM
For the record: not being involved much in the reggae "scene," I don't know anything about Tony Moses except for the couple of times I've seen him at the Oasis, and what I've read here. I certainly didn't mean to denigrate any good works he's done in the past - all I've seen him do is deejay. He sounded OK when he was more in announcement/MC mode, and he stuck to postive lyrics, but unfortunately he had little flow or rhythm riding skill. Just my two cents.
Papa Smoke
October 01, 2004 12:20AM
It's interesting because Rocker-T started Jah Warrior in'89 and brought Yzer and crew in much later, and obviously Yzer and them guys have taken the reigns. So Rocker is pretty much the president when he's around, which is rare cause he's on tour so much. The CD is gettin pressed this weekend, I'll email you when it's ready.
respect
October 01, 2004 12:59AM
Cool, I have several peeps on the East Coast who want to hear what our local sounds are all about, so this one will reach far.

bless
jbwelda
October 01, 2004 09:34AM
i would actually like to hear that cd too (no remarks please) so email me at wjust@dgweb.com (again since you dont have an email address to get you at)

one love
jah bill
mike turner
October 01, 2004 06:07PM
Chimino is right, dancehalls and soundclashes go back to the 1950s.

However Downbeat vs. Duke Reid the Trojan vs. Buster etc. was a very different thing.

In those days it was about music, not bragging. The crown went to the sound with the freshest, most original music. And it was also about dancing, (and particularly) about finding a girl and dancing with her. The best sound was the one that got the most people dancing. So it was a very different vibe, nothing like sound clashes today.
October 01, 2004 10:07PM
True, dances in general are nothing like they used to be, whether juggling or clash. Not to mention the music...
October 02, 2004 03:00PM
>yeh mon how can u boast a sound just on crowd noise? especialy if dem local yahoo'z r' gonna knuckle down on visiter when last call rolls around. also how can u say a sound is a champion sound if dem r' useing rude remarks live to overbear the true reggae vibrations(like many of dem systems today)? first up like turner mentioned that is a irie kool running. so if dar r' already more mon than womb-mon @clash time in attendence(most of dem these dayz) its already a flop in retrospect. yes chimino the music is very differnt these dayz forsure by long shot dats why i* personaly perfer juggling i*self, because dar iz no doubt that a good dance session way rules over any boxxing match. nice upz! -RASpects+
October 02, 2004 04:47PM
could i get a copy of the clash? e-mail address is rastajames@aol.com
Papa Smoke
October 02, 2004 05:15PM
If anyone would like a copy of the Unity Clash from Sept 19 just email me straight:
smokyprod@hotmail.com
It is two cd's that cover Round 1,2, and 3
$20 for both. I will carry them with me at King of Kings on sunday nights if anyone is living in the Bay, otherwise email me and we can arrange.
Respect,
Papa Smoke
jbwelda
October 02, 2004 05:17PM
are these real cds or cdr's?

not to put too fine a point on it but if they are cdr's thats kind of steep.

one love
jah bill
Papa Smoke
October 02, 2004 05:33PM
These are real cd's that are done at a press to get full color laser art sprayed on the disc. It is in a slim jewel with no paper, just the cd has the graphic. It was recorded directly from the sound board at the DownLow. It looks and sounds great.
October 02, 2004 08:54PM
Who's spinning @ the Downlow tomorrow?
Papa Smoke
October 02, 2004 09:57PM
PAPA JOE and DJ DE'
October 02, 2004 11:37PM
Joe is a good selector. see you there
LaRasta
October 03, 2004 12:35AM
The Unity Clash was real cool an nuff respect goes out to smokey, tony moses and all bay area foudation sounds.
*Lust. kings: Best plates of the night, no skills on the mic!
Mic man was weak and talked way too much over the most crucial drops of their dubs. Something about a foo-foo sound?
*Revelation sound: Visiting from out of the area w/ no posse. Would have given any other sounds a run since they flexed some nice plates in the opening round(folks say they gave poison-dart a run).
*T-n-T: (vibes supreme or golden-axe) Becoming a bigger badder sound all the time. Doogie is a hard working and positive man who greets all people the same way. No doubt he had some ruffer plates ready to go on into the morning. But by the rules stated (which they did not stick to), should have be eliminated after playing 90's dubs during the foundation round.
*Jah warrior sheltasad smileyFounded over a decade now by Rocker T. of Boogie Down Prod. BDP/ KRS 1, Skadanks, High Times/cannibus cup band and numerous other conscious projects...please check ya history before ya dis a man). JWS has been taking bay area clashes for over 6 years in a row with their skills on the tables and mic as well as having a deep knowlegde of dancehall music. Overall, JWS played consistantly with nice responces to the competition, recently dropping a whole bunch of $$$ on a new crate of dubs(jahyzer say so at the end).
True it was a close clash. Standing in the back at the end it was really hard to tell.
Even the opening juggling had some wicked dubs, specials an remixes being thrown down by papa joe and rolo!!!
T-n-T had a big following and momentum from their defeat of JWS the weekend before (who some folks said it also seemed rigged for t-n-t victory). Ivier pointed out that doogie had bought all the flags and noisemakers for their crowd. The
t-n-t folks were straight booing all opponents and in the end may have made more noise but should have been dis-qualified. JWS and Revelation should have been the final and who knows what may have happened...
The bay area knowledge of the sound clash is limited. Otherwise people would cheer for the sound who played the ruffest of the night, without strict loyalty to their friends, giving the chance for a dj/selecta to steal the crowd. The concept and styles of sounds are much different out here than other areas such as Jamaica, japan and europe. Many sounds don't own their own sound systems or produce their own riddims. Much more emphasis is placed on fader skills (hip-hop influence) than talking over or dissing the other sound.
Racists who still trip on skin color and dj's who hate for not having a spot to spin at or enough juice to start their own club or clash...need to step aside cause reggae dancehall has gone worldwide, like it or not!!!!!!!
conscious livity will get one further than judgemental bigotry,

viva La Rasta
October 03, 2004 10:36AM
Well, LaRasta it's obvious which sound you support, LOL. Big ups still on the report, I hope to hear from more people.

This comment tho "Ivier pointed out that doogie had bought all the flags and noisemakers for their crowd." complete BS. I bring my own noisemakers, they can't also? Also the guy standing next to me when he made that comment had on Trini wristbands cos he's from T&T. Does JWS buy all your red green & gold apparel? Cmon...
some guy
October 04, 2004 08:15AM
Judging on 'crowd noise' is not the same as judging on 'who got the bigger forward.'

Three airhorns from a sound's crew should not cancel out 200 boos!
October 04, 2004 10:48AM
True thing, some guy. Some clashes they use show of hands as a last resort to decide a clash.

Anyway, the CDs are excellent. Not used to paying so much for sound CDs, but they are factory-made and perfect in sound quality.
Large up Papa Smokey, session was nice.
October 04, 2004 08:32PM
T-N-T shoulda won that thing. Their energy was stronger...

Love Right, Live Right
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login