Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I think I'm going to get into Blues instead.

Posted by jbwelda 
jbwelda
I think I'm going to get into Blues instead.
September 24, 2004 02:25AM
speaking of which, ive been listening to a 4 cd set by faces called "five guys walk into a bar..." and i would never have thought i would dig it so much. rod stewart back before he became a parody of himself, ronny wood when he concentrated on playing guitar, ian maclaughan playing wicked B3 and Leslie speaker, just great stuff all the way. these guys were the 2nd comers to the rolling stones throne back in 71 and 72, and thats a real compliment if you ask me. this set is 4 disks and full of outtakes and live cuts and many of them are much better than the originals. ive only listened to three of the disks so far (multiple times) but aside from some expected sloppy playing, this sh*t rocks! check it out if you get the chance.

one love
jah bill
Re: I think I'm going to get into Blues instead.
September 24, 2004 02:03PM
Jah Bill;
They were THE mod band...
September 24, 2004 04:06PM
Well, remember Al Anderson's recounting of what Marley said to re-assure him when he came into the band---'Relax, just play blues'.
jbwelda
September 24, 2004 04:06PM
yes well thats not so clear. what i know is that rodney was a well known blues singer; woody a well known blues guitarist (see: truth and beckola) and mac a well known blues keyboardist.

i will admit that depending on ones definition of "blues" there might be some argument, but they were basically an english blues band or at least they played a lot of english styled blues.

the *small* faces, now that was a mod band.

one love
jah bill
September 24, 2004 04:58PM
Well Bill if you like Blues you should seriously consider listening to Abja new album In a Red I hour on I grade records...He is constantly mentioning throughout the album that this is "red I Blues" songs that closely emulate blues music with a reggae influence. Check Igraderecords.com for more. Im also setting up the same tour I did for Bambu station and Midnite for Abja and Yahadanai in Jan/Feb of next year...
jbwelda
September 24, 2004 04:59PM
a little oopsy above, hey its early.

while woody might be a well known blues guitarist, on truth and beckola (jeff beck group) he played bass because some other fella covered the guitar part.

btw, this "well known blues..." bit is a satrical quote from some lines ray davies uttered on some live thing i have by the kinks.

anyway...just thought i would break up the monotony a bit

one love
jah bill
September 24, 2004 07:30PM
>iNi grew up around a beer/wiskey bottle blues scene(not inna AZ.). besides the cry of alcolizm & dirty women it's just another cloudy day zeen. cant dis a style brought on by nationz suffering but when its only life u can lose why choose blues? when it'z life iNi got to live why choose blues? also it'z nah the funky unky, itz a natural reggae beat dat brings iNi together. mash down babywrong! praize JAH,uplift reggae muzak! -RASpects+
Acacia
September 24, 2004 07:50PM
Jahmeek, I'll take one bourbon, one scotch and one beer please.
papa ray
September 24, 2004 08:18PM
jah-meek, I hear(& seen & work& move in )that which you speak, but supreme poetry & rhythm move thru blues like the greatest tap-root---roots go deep & deeper. & no surprise reggae scores most highly with anyone who really understands blues music. Can't tell me Freddie McGregor wasn't one !@?#!
-of a blues singer!

So JM, where wuz that 'beer/wiskey bottle blues scene' you spoke of??(you know, not everyone in blues-world,uh. drinks....)
September 24, 2004 10:01PM
me - i will take one of dem dirty women. why so negative jahmeek? thats not nice. i go to blues shows and the women are far from "dirty"
jbwelda
September 24, 2004 10:38PM
youre going to the wrong blues shows then, dw.

one love
jah bill

ps: i think its an interesting phenomenon that white people seem to feel blues is safe while more modern means of black expression is too dangerous. i mean, go to a mick martin show (a bad example i know...they are the very definition of "hacks" if you ask me, so maybe the blues festival in sf with buddy guy this weekend would be a better example, but as usual , i digress) and you will see all these white state worker types drinking their daquiris and tapping their feet, then going home to their suburban houses and SUVs. somehow they connect with "blues" in a way they dont with reggae or hip hop or any other "black music" genre. (actually i think reggae is sort of like this but with a younger crowd, overall, and thank jah it hasnt really attracted the masses) maybe its from earlier exposure to the british blues bands of the 60s or the connection to "rock and roll" (a truly lost art) or something, or maybe its just a marketing success story. if anyone is interested in this sort of thing i would recommend the book "i would rather be the devil" (think its called) on the life of skip james, a truly dangerous bluesman, and how he never really got anywhere mainly because he rejected all the marketing to white folks and preferred to be a pimp, gambler, and itinerant blues guitarist. some fairly hilarious stories in there. he wouldnt even listen to creams cover of his song, im so glad, but i think he did cash the royalty checks.
September 25, 2004 05:25AM
Jah Bill,
was ronnie lane in the faces too? I don't remember. I liked that period for rod stewart. I especially enjoyed His work with Jeff beck. "I aint superstious"
I may have to dig that up
there are two discs that I recently picked up that I really enjoyed immensely the first is Muddy Mississippi Waters Live. Remastered and also has more unreleased live tracks from that show.
and also Something from the souljazz label called Chicago Soul. some great stuff from Howlin' wolf, Muddy, Bo Diddley. Great stuff

Michael
September 25, 2004 05:32AM
When Rod was a Python.

Every day I spend my time
Drinkin' wine, feelin' fine
Waitin' here to find the sign
That I can understand - yes I am

In the days between the hours
Ivory towers, bloody flowers
Push their heads into the air
I don't care if I ever know - there I go

Don't push your love too far
Your wounds won't leave a scar
Right now is where you are
In a broken dream

Did someone bow their head?
Did someone break the bread?
Good people are in bed
Before nine o'clock

On the pad before my eyes
Paper cries, tellin' lies
The promises you gave
From the grave of a broken heart, hmm

Every day I spend my time
Drinkin' wine, feelin' fine
Waitin' here to find the sign
That I can understand - yes I am, oh

I sit here in my lonely room

Don't push your love too far
You know your wounds won't even leave a scar
Right now is where you are
In a broken dream
And don't you forget what I say - hoo, hoo
Ivory towers, bloody flowers ....
September 25, 2004 06:41PM
Acacia-> dem r' Goerge T. lyrics u kno* dat white guy w/ghost band playin' slide w/beer bottle.ha ha!
Papa Ray-> i*overstand dar iz many bluesy singerz in reggae but i* do still perferr the off beats when it gets to riddim wize(blues drumz 'zzzzzzz). further more i*dren i*grew up around the Milwaukee,Chicago blues scene with more than a handful of other frozen swimming holes around Micheal's mad counter parts.
dirtweed-> dirtywomen<=>dirtweed. alrite i* get it now. live up,take care
-RASpects+
rubba dub'style rule ALL tha'while!!!!!!!
September 25, 2004 09:00PM
I remember checking out the Small Faces back when I first got into the mod scene. Man, I was also into the Jam around that time. The MC5 is a cool band too. Have you guys ever heard of a rocksteady group called The Big Sound?
papa ray
September 25, 2004 10:02PM
Where I live(st Louis), this music goes strong----& here you can see how @ this point blues that is real(& not some sad-assed imitation minstrelry crap)shares
the same source for gospel & southern soul...IT IS ALSO ESSENTIALLY A VOCAL MUSIC---meaning it ain't about the guitar solo,seen? I remember once in Kingston
finding ZZ Hill singles in Prince Buster's shop, not the only time I saw blues singles in Jamaica.

By the way, Sunday nite we've got Capleton & Cocoa Tea----I'm ready for a draw of that!
mike turner
September 27, 2004 04:33AM
Jah Bill,

I'd take that Skip James book with a grain of salt. I don't know why on earth he chose to write about the blues as he seems to dislike it so much. Although he is good at skewering a lot of misconceptions, like the idea that there was a "country" blues somehow purer and more poetic than other kinds. But I knew a few of the guys who rediscovered some of the forgotten blues artists like Son House and Skip James, and to me it's always been a really positive story.

Mike
jbwelda
September 27, 2004 04:44AM
i guess you didnt meet skip then, mike.

one love
jah bill
September 27, 2004 10:44PM
No I didn't. But my housemate was Alan Wilson - who sang just like him!
jbwelda
September 27, 2004 11:39PM
was that the guy from canned heat?

if it was, i think *he* met skip james.

one love
jah bill
mike turner
September 27, 2004 11:50PM
Yep. It was him, Henry Vestine (Canned Heat guitarist), and John Fahey. The thing about those rediscoveries that made them such a great story was that they coincided with the Freedom Riders and other social movements that really transformed the South.
September 28, 2004 06:29PM
Hey Mike Turner, you shared living space w/ Wilson? I always thought he
was an under-rated harp player, especially after hearing how well he followed
Hooker on the album John Lee did w/ Canned Heat. Any thoughts on
his demise? Wuz it clinical depression? & you right, Alan chose an interesting
vocal role-model...
Acacia
September 28, 2004 06:33PM
Jahmeek, a few days late but yes, I know. And I believe I have heard you quote his lyrics too. I was joking on the blues topic after you said you grew up on broken beer and whiskey bottles.
September 28, 2004 07:28PM
>if i* ever quoted hiz lyrics it waz a radio version from his souped up 80's run dat waz over killed on radio because it waz encouraging people to drink(even hard liquer). i* have not heard any but dat & SNL performance. im guezzing dis waz pushed by references to certain company labels in songs dat meksa sloppy drunk seem kool or sumting. really sad how dat 1slipped rite through while simple remarks in chunes about smoking herb had to be bleeped out for national radio during same time. tom pettys mary jane song was a BIG example for dat era. dont ask i* how i* kno* so much about radio airplay cause it'z a damm shame how how dey shut out reggae except for rock n' roll coverz. big mountain doing peter f.'z song even brought dem to reggae sunsplash(seen on pay per veiw) cha >1LUV*+*+*+*+*+*+*+
September 28, 2004 08:18PM
Yes I knew Alan quite well. I was his next door neighbor in Venice, and then he started making money he rented a bigger house that I lived in. I got a whole music education from that guy, he had a whole wall of 78 rpm records. (Where are they now?)

He was a classically trained musician who could transcribe music as it played on a phonograph. And though a limited vocalist he had perfect pitch.

His harp technique was totally his, and he used unusual "cross" tunings. He also used to take his harps apart and shave the reeds with a razor which is why no one can hit his harp notes as for example his solo on "On the Road Again".

His suicide was really a sad thing, a total waste, he was an unbelievably well educated, nice person.

Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login