Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ska Has No Boundaries

Posted by acetone 
Ska Has No Boundaries
October 02, 2004 04:54AM
My two current favorite Ska bands are Tokyo Ska and Roy Paci ...[www.aretuska.com] band is from Japan, the other from Italy...I don't care where a ska band comes from, as long as they rip...Ska music is open to globalization...Though Reggae is loved around the world, I really don't think it transcends to interpretation like ska does...Perhaps it's the Rasta influence...I don't really know...but, in regards to Ska, authenticity is never an issue...
eric
Re: Ska Has No Boundaries
October 02, 2004 08:28PM
Without Ska, there would be no Reggae!!!!!
October 02, 2004 09:16PM
without rocksteady there would be no ska!!!!!!!
jbwelda
October 02, 2004 10:58PM
uh jah meek, i believe ska preceeded rocksteady and rocksteady lasted all of one summer basically.

without mento there would be no ska. without rhythm and blues what would there be? without someone pounding on a tree trunk in africa what would there be?

one love
jah bill
October 02, 2004 11:17PM
yeh i* kno* bill. thought it was just funny to rail on reggae with ska. alot of people who r'in to ska never heard about rocksteady so im glad u made a little more clear what it was. u also mek a strong point about africa pounding. like the piano was stoled from marimba in the mother land as well as the mercedes benz symbol stoled by a german who visited i*opia & saw the trinty statue & thought he could pull a fast one by making up story. just visit website to hear unmarked story of claim. well im getting off subject here about pale theives so i'll gwan & blaze else where because i* c'many ska ravers just into energy level & not the history what so ever. iNi have come along way from the roots of JA style to checkers & punky combat boots. skank it up in the name of JAH! bring it back to the foundation*
-RAspects+
October 02, 2004 11:21PM
I love reggae, rocksteady, dancehall/ragga, lovers rock, roots, etc....never liked ska too much.
October 03, 2004 02:18AM
What Reggae is to Rock, Ska is to Jazz...I believe (very generally speaking) that Ska players were better musicians than reggae musicians....Reggae is lyrically driven, where I believe melody was the key element to Ska and melodic improvisation was encouraged...free and loose....The cronalogy of styles is interesting, but not necessarily significant...Jamaicans seemed to have abandoned Ska...Where as the global Ska interpreters offer new and unique fusions...I believe that Ska is much more flexible to change and input...and I always think that blending leads to growth...

Post Edited (10-02-04 22:04)
eric
October 03, 2004 03:01AM
Speaking of Rocksteady, I saw these kids called "The Big Sound" play at the Blue Beat Lounge in Hollywood. For some whiteboys from Cali, they are damn good.
October 03, 2004 06:33PM
I'm a pocomaniac and burromaniac!!!!!!
papa ray
October 03, 2004 07:11PM
Well, from Ska was when you could start to say about Jamaican music,
"Cool and Deadly".

Speaking of Rocksteady, is it too early to lobby for a REAL heavy rocksteady
review(or night)@ SNWMF, while some of the foundation singers and players are
still with us?? For a start, how about a Paragons meet Techniques, with
Lyn Taitt as musical director(he was bandleader for the Legends Of Ska show in Toronto)----there's so many ways(live band and soundsystem)you could jump w/ this---U Roy meets Al Capone?? Give Alton another chance, yeah, let's do Rocksteady.

'Course, I knows this might not ignite&excite those who want the latest dancehall, or the St Croix possee....

Just A Dream.
Fish
October 03, 2004 07:20PM
I don't really think it's productive to set too many boundaries between styles. I think of ska, rockstady, reggae, etc. as part of a continuous body of Jamaican popular music; delinating boundaries between any of the styles is very difficult. The most obvious one is the Sleng Teng digital revolution in '85, but the new digital rhythms sounded a lot like the previous rhythms, except played on a computer - it took time for the modern "ragga" beat to evolve. Drawing lines in the sand will never be definitively possible . . .
Perhaps for this reason, the statement that Jamaicans have "abandoned" ska doesn't really make sense to me - the music evolved into something different, and in case you didn't know, many of the ska musicians continued to play into the rocksteady and reggae eras (there were new faces, of course, but Lloyd Brevett, Tommy McCook, Dizzy Moore, etc. were certainly still around - the main figure who was lost was Don Drummond). Many ska singers went on to be rocksteady and reggae stars. So the argument that ska musicians were better than reggae musicians also is a bit strange . . . it was an evolution of the music, not an abandonment of it.
Selecta
October 03, 2004 07:53PM
I am going to this when I am in london next month...Unfortunatly i am only in London for two days and so far this the only thing I have found for the sunday night. good thing is I am going to be in Liverpool all day watching ARSENAL beat the crap out of them

The London International Ska Festival
Starring legendary JA trombonist Rico Rodriguez & Band plus support from Pama International, The Pietasters (from USA), The Supatones, Catch it Kebabs plus DJ Jerry Dammers
Venue: Carling Academy, Islington - N1 Centre, 16 Parkfield Street, London, N1 0PS
Date: Sunday 28 Nov 2004 | Times: 18:00 - 23:00
Cost: £12
Venue url: www.islington-academy.co.uk/islington/pages/index.cfm
BMC
October 03, 2004 08:53PM
Exactly Fish, completely agree.

"many of the ska musicians continued to play into the rocksteady and reggae eras"

And some still do. The Jamaica All Stars contain Dizzy Moore and Scully for example and I believe Brevett still leads the current line-up of the Skatalites. And from somewhat later, Bongo Herman now leads the Capleton's Prophecy band.

"the main figure who was lost was Don Drummond"

Yep, but not because he disliked the new music, what is in agreement with the views Fish gives.

Who knows what JA is producing in, say, 20 years from now? Then the ragga / bashment of 2004 is to be found in the oldies section, maybe even conscidered roots and Elephant Man will be a veteran! Wonder what my original press of his Bun Bad Mind will sell for on ebay then.. :-)
Fish
October 03, 2004 08:54PM
"The cronalogy of styles is interesting, but not necessarily significant"

Reading over these posts again, I'm going to have to completely disagree with this. All Jamaican popular music was heavily influenced by what came before it - you can't think about reggae without thinking of the rocksteady and ska that came before it, or about ska without thinking of the preceding R & B music.
October 03, 2004 09:07PM
how about some justin hinds &the dominoes? a classic alwayz enjoyed!
-RASpects+
BMC
October 03, 2004 09:14PM
Justin Hinds nowadays sings with the Jamaica All Stars. I saw them perform earlier this year and they are great (with Johnny Dizzy Moore and Scully Simms in the band). Go see 'm if you can, they give you a night of Jamaican musical history by playing mento, ska, rocksteady, reggae and a bit of dancehall. Very nice.
October 03, 2004 09:23PM
>yes i* caught him & band during the 2000 tour. he was using a fill-in git player but had a full touring horn section & plus. alot of members seemed to be part of his close family like son on trombone & wife on back-up vocals. he was doing his funny little dance with BIG smile through whole set. very nice vibes* -RASpects+
jbwelda
October 03, 2004 09:35PM
i have been lobbying for some "revue" sort of historic shows for some time now and its possible something might come to fruition. i know feelers are out to jamaican all stars and some studio one players under the name of soul defenders or brentford road all stars or something, so we will see what happens. not so sure myself about the rocksteady emphasis because to me thats some of the least interesting music, but who knows, it may come. one problem is convincing the powers that be that a "package" can be as big a draw as a single "major" artist like spear or i vibes or someone like that but i think some headway is being made in presenting some sort of revue of a certain style backed by a more or less vintage band and 4 or 5 singers taking turns. i would hope this would be in a headlining spot (eg: after dark) and that it would be advertised as a special presentation, not just a number of names on the bill.

hopefully something like this can be done. problem is, it needs to attract more than the reggae conneseours (sp) to sell tickets and make it viable to the guy who books acts for the festival (you know who that is). keep your cards and letters coming, thats all i can suggest.

one love
jah bill
October 03, 2004 10:04PM
Given how influential rocksteady became(face it; much of the 70s roots-rockers/Channel One music was updates of rocksteady) and how many of its practitioners are still around, there would be no problem artistically&musically,
but you could be right as far as the broad appeal. Given Coxone's passing
there'd probably be more support for some kind of Studio One event; but
a salute to Duke Reid's era could be one mutha of a nite---
October 03, 2004 10:28PM
My opinion isn't meant to belittle anyone or anything...the main gist of my thought was the flexability that Ska has over Reggae...exploring my personal lack of concern over any ska band's country of origin, I find it wonderful that I have no mental elitism regarding Ska...Reggae has definite mental barriers...and though Fish validly sites several Jamaican musicians that were there from the birth of Ska, (Alton Ellis/SNWMF-'04) I still believe that reggae musicianship is buried behind the lead singer...
Ska is like Jazz...real players...Small example: Did you see Tokyo Ska st SNWMF this year? Guys tore it up...Each musician given his own time to shine, expand, team up...total group and individual efforts, as well...plenty of skill and finesse...the singer was just another aspect of the band...Sorry, but I still believe Ska is more musically challenging and has successfully evolved beyond geographic boundaries...
eric
October 04, 2004 12:08AM
I would definately love to see some sort of revue. The more Ska and Rocksteady, the better. I really enjoyed Alton Ellis this year. Not to mention TSPO!!!! From what I remember, Alton Ellis had quite a huge audience when he was playing the old stuff, and boy, was the crowd moving. I don't see why people wouldn't get excited about some real authentic music, after all, these acts mentioned on the post paved the way for everybody!
October 04, 2004 04:04AM
"hopefully something like this can be done. problem is, it needs to attract more than the reggae conneseours (sp) to sell tickets and make it viable to the guy who books acts for the festival (you know who that is). "

Hit the nail on the head.

fourtwentyplenty
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login