Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

World Music

Posted by Teresa 
World Music
March 10, 2004 03:33AM
You guys are spoiled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I do believe the title of this CONCERT is
Sierra Nevada WORLD music that means, ALL kinds of music. I am very open minded and would like to see WORLD music. Just because the promoters have kinda stuck to mostly REGGAE doesn't mean that other kinds of music doesn't exist. Or that other people wouldn't like to hear something from a band that has brought so much to the music world. The Peter Rowen set last year was something that blew me away. I left the press tent with an arm full of stuff to pass out to the crowd (Lee Scratch Perry Posters, and some promotional materials from off the table there) and by the time I got up the hill he was on the 2nd or 3rd song and I had to stop and turn around and check out who was on stage. I thought that someone else slipped in there. He was awesome. I have heard him several times before but he really made me stop and really pay attention. It helps to have such a flexible band like FULLY FULWOOD'S to get yr point across. I had the honor of going back stage to get him for an interview in the PRESS TENT after the show. WORLD MUSIC gives everyone a chance to hear new stuff.Keep an open mind...

marie
Re: World Music
March 10, 2004 03:51AM
what about some latin music! cumbia banda salsa
March 10, 2004 04:07AM
someone mentioned Quinto sol on this board. I think it would be great to have Gigi back either with tabla beat science again (doubtful) or with her own band

Michael
Zana
March 10, 2004 06:14AM
I loved Hamsa Lila at last years festival. I would love to see them again this year.
They put on an amazing show.

March 10, 2004 02:12PM
blah blah blah. There is plenty of variety. reggae is a world music and the world music that brings most patrons.
Irie-Sis
March 10, 2004 02:24PM
I think when the lineup is complete and all out there will be plenty of variety smiling smiley and enough good vibes to keep everyone irie . from what i see the lineup is coming heavy and getting better . and the more Roots Music the more irie i become smiling smiley)
March 10, 2004 04:09PM
its a time for good music and it bring people around the world together to be as one that's what the father jah said in the bible ...we will bring all of us together to be as one
March 10, 2004 05:49PM
Remember when tabla beat science played two years ago? I looooooved them.
Irie-Sis
March 10, 2004 05:55PM
i think i had missed them cause someone else was on the other stage at the same time but i heared they were good and hope to see them soon.
marie
March 10, 2004 08:17PM
Quinto Sol! yes I, bring them!
it's too bad more people don't know of them yet, or any other latino reggae. Ivy Queen is gonna blow up real soon. Bayanga, Alberto Sylee, Manu, Fidel, just to name a small few.

I guess it's too barrio for the gringos and babylonians that attend the reggae fests. Lol

open ya eeaazzz head! and the cumbia beat sounds a lot like reggae they even have cumbia over reggae riddims, irie.

salsa, banda all irie y caliente!
ODB
March 10, 2004 08:29PM
That was a close minded statement if ive ever heard one. SInce when did being a gringo mean that you couldnt live or even relate to living in a barrio. Babylonians are a must for these reggae shows , thats exaclty who the zionists are calling upon to open dem ears.
March 10, 2004 09:02PM
Tabla Beat science was so nice and chill...especially for a nice warm sunday afternoon (it was sunday, right?)
March 10, 2004 09:13PM
Yeah kate, it was Sunday that Tabla Beat Science played, they were really struggling with the sound and it was like 45 min. late so Zakir Husein, Karsh Kale, and the Indian Man with the string instrument just started tooling around and then midival Pundints joined in with sultan 42 and dj disc on the tables....very cool indeed

Michael
March 10, 2004 09:16PM
teresa - snwmf is world music festival with lotsa reggae. if you want world music with less reggae try high sierra or grass valley worldfest. seems like snwmf knows what it is doing.
pale ryder
March 10, 2004 09:41PM
Marie, que pasa. I can handle it, but I prefer alton, horace, lival, the spear, clinton, I-vibes, rocker, beres....I have heard of Quinto Sol, but I can guarantee that the roots is what the people want, and some conscious dancehall. Judge not, least you be judged........
March 10, 2004 11:23PM
I didnt realize that Tabla Beat was just messing around up there. They were just kinda jamming out and I was loving every minute! I really hope they end up on the bill in years to come.
marie
March 11, 2004 12:12AM
yeah, yeah whatever
judge all ya want, rastafari will be the judge in these times.
meaning jah gives everyone the I, to judge and keep from things that are not pleasing to I. if we didn't have judgement of oneself than we'd be some lost people.

test I, fully confident and sure of my being and the statements I make. nothing wrong with a little latin music or other world music, considering latinos are mostly represented in this country, especially california.

judge not? some hipocracy! there are judgements all over this board. you just pick and choose what is okay to judge and what is not.

gringos are sensititve! but it's okay for them to judge and not me, huh?

FIYAH!
LOL, still loving , nothing wrong with reasoning.
March 11, 2004 12:20AM

Femi Kuti
Fermin Muguruza
El Gran Silencio
Poetz4Peace

plus even though they play JA-influnced music:

Midnite
Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra
Gentleman
March 11, 2004 12:54AM
i can see maries point but as with most things in life, you can't please everyone.
Stevo
March 11, 2004 01:17AM
marie...step up to the mic girl, I don't think anyone else is using it right now.
JUAN LOVE
March 11, 2004 04:38AM
i caught the last 20 min. or so of quinto sol in 02 and was blown away. up until then i had never seen latinos get down like that. then again was even more blown away with those latin kids from the salinas vally -dubwize- in 03. were i come from latinos are mostly gang bangers, and to see my fellow brown skin man ina concious vibes is uplifting. more quinto sol- more dubwize- more concious latino artists. one love-juan love
March 11, 2004 05:48AM
Femi Kuti is a top notch world music act. Michael Franti also puts on a pretty good show. The way I see it, any good world music acts to go along with all the roots is an added bonus. SNWMF always seems to get the mix just about right for my tastes.

My suggestions would be some roots Chilean stlye...Gondwana, or King Sunny Ade.
March 11, 2004 03:00PM
Yeah, Gondwana would be a real winner for SNWMF. I heard that queque, the lead singer, left the band about 10 months ago. Anyone else hear that too?
pat
March 11, 2004 04:49PM
yes... that is true. quique is no longer with the band. he just put out a solo album entitled "eleven" however, gondwana continues to tour. I beleive they have a new lead singer named kingo, who is from brazil maybe?
that is what I heard. I guess u gotta see em live to really find out.
don chico, ex-percussionist is a deejay in chile.

Gondwana music lives on!

March 11, 2004 04:55PM
king chango.
March 11, 2004 05:11PM
Tabla beat science was Extrodinary, And they got me into drumming and lead me to everything I know and love today. Much respect to thoughs who built and designed instruments such as Tabla drums and the mathmatics of Guitar,
Much Much Respect!

Happy Trails
March 11, 2004 05:16PM
Hey Pat, any info on how I can obtain "Eleven"?
March 11, 2004 05:16PM
spell so we know
what you mean, yo yo
March 11, 2004 05:17PM
Teresa, You can-but should'nt judge a book by its cover... or should I say
a Fest by its name! =)
Peace and Love
enjoy the blessings of sound!

Happy Trails
March 11, 2004 07:52PM
-more dub+ >forward^in the dancehall area! bashment a bloodclot & does not rule!Jah Rasta Far i*
jb welda
March 11, 2004 08:02PM
"its a small world after all
its a small world after all"

THAT kind of "world music"?

one love
jah bill
pale ryder
March 11, 2004 08:48PM
Maria, wow, harsh words for the I to speak. I just defend the music that I love, if I wanted Latin music, I would walk down the street and listen to some Banda Musica....If I am correct, there was no judgment in my statement, and hypocracy is usually committed by those who call others hypocrites.
Stevo
March 11, 2004 09:01PM
PKW-
Just some help... when writing extrodinary, think extra-ordinary. That's exactly how it's spelled...extraordinary.:0)
Stevo
March 11, 2004 09:14PM
Jahmeek, you right. So many people here I'll bet have never experienced a true roots & dub soundsystem in action. And I ain't talkin' Studio One style, I'm talkin' Glen Brown, Yabby You, Wackies, yeah ya know. Pure King David Style. Irie.
TR-808
March 11, 2004 10:32PM

"Studio One style" is true roots

came far before Glen Brown, Yabby You, Wackies... all that
jb welda
March 11, 2004 10:37PM
tell dem solid. if you dont know studio one, you dont know reggae music. its the foundation of all we call reggae. if you dont believe me ask dave hendley, ask penny reel...for that matter ask glen brown, yabby you, wackies any them guys.

one love
jah bill
March 11, 2004 10:45PM
I thought studio one were the originators of the sound system.
was'nt coxsone's system called downbeat?
blessed,

Michael
TR-808
March 11, 2004 10:53PM

Studio One did not originate the sound system

Coxsone did run a set for a period in early years called Downbeat
flip
March 11, 2004 10:59PM
how bout pancho sanchez?
pale ryder
March 11, 2004 11:01PM
now he is a sick conga player
napabink
March 12, 2004 12:06AM
I ain't talkin' about who did it first people. OK, you got your "DANCEHALL SOUNDS" right, that rinse Studio One tunes like no ones ever heard 'em. And then you got your "ROOTS and DUB SOUNDS", that play all that stuff that Studio One overshadowed. Read between the lines. We are definately not talking about the same style set. When was the last time you guys heard any of the mentioned sounds drop Sylford Walker's "Deuteronomy", or Twinkle Bros. "Jahoviah"? And with a mic controller who teaches from the Bible. Stop pretending like I don't know what I'm talking about, and better yet, stop pretending like YOU don't know what I'm talking about. Step it up, Step it up, Step it up!!!! Even though the dancehall was more on the sweet side in the 60's & 70's, it was still dancehall.
-Stevo
pale ryder
March 12, 2004 12:22AM
Stevo, have you ever thought, that they dont know what you are talking about. Maybe others just dont know what you know, you have a gift my friend..........
jb welda
March 12, 2004 12:29AM
youre right, ive lost track of the point altogether.

all i know is: its a small world after all

one love
jah bill
pale ryder
Wait, there are some extremely knowledgable people on this message board, but I am not naming names due to ego inflation............
everyone

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
pat
March 12, 2004 02:34AM
Hey Daniel. ^^ that quique niera ("eleven"winking smiley I think is only available in chile. I am not too sure, but you might be able to get it somewhere on this internet.
If I found out, I'll let u know.
peace.

www.sojamusic.com

March 12, 2004 05:49AM
Here's a suggestion, how about renaming the fest Sierra Nevada Reggae and World Music Festival or just Sierra Nevada Reggae Festival. You could just as easily knock ROTR for having non-reggae acts when it advertises as Reggae on the River not World Music on the River. Seems like Reggae on the River should change names with Sierra. There's more reggae and a better variety at Sierra anyways. I believe it was dirtweed that suggested you go to High Sierra or Grass Valley for a better mix Teresa and I agree. No offense. You'll find more variety at those fests. Just be thankful that in these times we can all come together and still do this kind of an event. Forward reggae forever!!!!!!!!!

fourtwentyplenty

fourtwentyplenty
March 12, 2004 08:56AM
-still time+ to add a rootical soundsystem to the dancehall ! also so iNi show tink about varity_ put up baaba maal on friday day if there is room but im sure there is nah much space left dar in dat department? but no reason why about a good soundsystem to bass up one late nite session @least . bring sum original dub jah mon ! blood & fire ! brimstone & thundah ! lava flow ! JAH*
March 12, 2004 03:06PM
My vote would go to:
SIERRA NEVADA ROOTS MUSIC FESTIVAL!!!!!
positive-ite
March 12, 2004 04:04PM
i like that theres mixed bands at the show because it gives me time to go eat or shop or go back to camp for something i forgot hehe. cause i wont miss any of the roots music acts. Keep the Spear Burning smiling smiley
marie
March 12, 2004 05:26PM
LOL, your ROOTS music is from where you originate, as in mine is from Mexico. Where's yours? Most white norteamericanos reggae listeners or white dreadlock youth seem to think there's is from jamaica. The line-up is irie, but nothing wrong with some world music, especially if you leave this country often you know other music exists but, if you have no culture then, well, you may not know.lol and respect.
March 12, 2004 05:43PM
LMAO.. Yes yes, I Really Enjoy all the Intelectual conversations in this whole forum.

Its a hell of alot better than where im at now. and it makes me Condemplate the festival even ferther and I CAN'T WaiT!!!!

Happy Trails
one_love
March 12, 2004 05:49PM
I think most people like what they like no matter what the color or race. we are one people. i am open minded enough to enjoy all the music. you seem to have to keep pointing out what gringos like as if its so different. california is such a melting pot and i give thanks to live in such a place. where most know of a thing called one love. Forward all positive vibes to the stage. cause cali massive is going to have irievibes flowing in a angels camp.
Stevo
March 13, 2004 01:31AM
While travelling in Europe, I encountered too many people who tried to tell me that Americans have no culture. But I have to reason that the US is a big melting pot of countless cultures. Caucasians did not originate here any more than the other non-natives. So American culture should not be reduced to a white thing. And I'd just like to add that I am well aware that some people were brought here against their will.

As for true American culture, try Pop Culture. A lot of people forget about that. Music from America has dominated ALMOST all the big markets around the globe for all of OUR lives. I give Americans credit for originating many different types of music also.
-Stevo
March 13, 2004 05:32AM
World Music! IRIE
pale ryder
March 15, 2004 05:43PM
There is hardly any respect given in that statement....... raspect!
March 15, 2004 05:54PM
Hmm.....
March 16, 2004 02:00AM
it's a world of laughter, a world of tears,......it's a small world after all.

Enjoy and stop complaining what SNWMF brings to the table or make your own table.
And if one more person calls me a gringo without culture I shall resign from the American Anthropological Association, an esteemed association of united stations(I prefer to be called this rather than norteamericanas) all looking for culture other than POP!
Harrumph!
AAA
Stevo
March 16, 2004 06:41AM
Culture Dem!!!!!!!!!
marie
March 17, 2004 07:28PM
ugh, yeah. find YOUR culture then. not others but YOURS. bless
Stevo
March 17, 2004 07:50PM
What makes you think I have to find my culture, like it's lost or something. And what makes you think it's not the same as others. You're out of line.
TR-808
March 17, 2004 07:58PM

The Sierra Nevada World Music Festival is dedicated to nurturing a world family peacefully united in celebration of the universal spirit of music.

[It] is a 3 day music and camping festival held annually over the Summer Solstice weekend. The Festival features the best of reggae and world music, a village of international crafts and food, two stages and a dancehall, a children's program of activities and on-site camping. The Sierra Nevada World Music Festival is an homage to the power and beauty of world music.

[In addition, the] Sierra Nevada World Music Festival promotes only "conscious" music. "Conscious" music is music with a message of peace, unity and brotherhood which transcends the divisions of race and culture. Each year, the Sierra Nevada World Music Festival brings artists to Northern California that have rarely or never appeared in the United States.

--

more @ [www.snwmf.com]

peace
March 18, 2004 05:21PM
A-men Sis!
The only thing I not like about this chat phorum is the fact that Humans have detailed expressions. and with letters being typed, all the same font no-doubt theres no expression. I feel non of us are truly being heard in this place., I mean reality is so much more of a conversationalistic enviornment.
And besides as stevo keeps pointing out,...., im not the best speller in the world.
=)
yet
A-men Sis can sing peace

Happy Trails
Pale Ryder
March 18, 2004 05:24PM
Can we all just wear a thong?
napabink
March 18, 2004 10:44PM
Just keep on keepin' on Prince. I get your meaning every time. Respect.
Pale Ryder
March 18, 2004 10:56PM
Stevo, mash up a session tonight? We gotta hang before you go be a carpenter like the LION!........
March 19, 2004 05:47PM
Can't we all just get a bong?

PS. Thank you napabink
rastael
Re: World Music fidel
March 20, 2004 10:37AM
Fidel is top of the noch latin world music act - in 2002 at SNWMF I saw them with quinto sol -in my opinion the best show at festival!!!!!
marie
March 20, 2004 10:17PM
what makes you think i was talking about you? everyone is searching for their culture, i was talking to the gringa, norteamericana.

who's complaining? only saying bring on some latin roots, would make a nice addition to the show. i guess you can only say your requests only if it agrees wit the MAJORITY. too sensitive. beautiful day to spend anywhere but in the sun! peace
March 21, 2004 02:45AM
Culture is I, inside. Everything that is outside is an illusion, babylonian ideology trying to define YOUR culture. "Everyone is searching for their culture" is like the lost sheep that need to be found. It's like you come to a fork in the road and you can go this way or that way, east or west, but instead you realize you don't need to go anywhere so you pick up the FORK sit down and eat. Self righteousness and Hypocracy are also nipping at the heals of a man on the run.
ForwardZion................
March 21, 2004 02:52AM
always nipping..........
rootsandculture
March 21, 2004 06:55AM
el gran silencio & fermin - femi kuti = Are a world music artist to me................................... what more world music than that.
marie
March 22, 2004 06:07PM
Iveryone is searching for culture. Must have strong foundation and ROOTS, ihstri in order to "forward to zion" or ya blow away with the storm. and if no know culture, make excuses or start talking about forks and spoons. peace. whose nipping only reasoning. I know my foundation and will enjoy the show when it comes. the line-up is irie, even with only three world music acts, one can only hope, but until then i'll enjoy dezare every act.
March 22, 2004 11:41PM
We have our own culture. In festival land. Festies, waving rasta flags.
I'd like to get some Cumbia at the festival.
and more Dancehall reggae.
and Baba Mal.
and Roots Reggae.
and most of all more Dancehall reggae.
March 23, 2004 01:45AM
Right on Jason. We have found our culture.
We know where were going......SNWMF!
Marie that nipping statement was not direct at you sorry you thought that. No disrespect.
It was kinda directed at all of us at different times in our lives, myself included. I agree it is a journey yet sometimes (like at SNWMF) you can sit sown stop searching, and your realize your home. Sight?
Let's celebrate our culture in unity, this year and mash down babylon!
Natty don't want to have no folly ism jump on the reggae riddim..........Seen.
March 23, 2004 06:02PM
Zion- You and your friends live in the bay area??
I do.- And I would love to meet you and your friends at this years FEST!!

=)
Pale Ryder
March 23, 2004 07:25PM
Prince, napabink and I live in Napa, you live in Concord correct....
March 24, 2004 02:00AM
I live in SO Cal but grew up with pale and napabink in Napa, and they are still my best friends. Can't wait to see you guys. Prince we will definately see you at the fest.
ForwardZion........
March 24, 2004 05:27PM
Correct0Mond0 I Live in Concord, KingCaliWolf lives in Danvill.
Im positive we will meet this year

On to the culture topic: You are right ForwardZion, The outside is an illusion.
Culture to me is defined by Tradition and my culture is white culture, my Tradition is celebrating the Summer solstice with my Family of friends at the festival- This Festival! And i love everyone there whos celebrating right along side me, infront and behind!

Happy Trails
March 24, 2004 06:10PM
Hey! I used to live in Danville when I was in high school... its such a small world...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login