Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Midnite...alright?

Posted by Jugz 
Midnite...alright?
October 07, 2004 09:10AM
I've heard quite a bit about this group, from the States I believe. Can anyone reccomend them? Who are they comparable to? I'v heard some people swear by them whilst others slag them off. Opinions please.

Jugz.

jbwelda
Re: Midnite...alright?
October 07, 2004 04:14PM
they are from st croix though i guess they really honed their skills in the washington dc area. some people think they are the next coming of selassie; personally im somewhat less enthusiastic. however i do think they have some great material and more good material.

one love
jah bill
October 07, 2004 04:33PM
Roots power! Shining bright through the days of dancehall. If you like midnite, check out Bambu Station, also hailing out of St. Croix. This little island is bringing forth some of the best roots music of our days...
Ureek-a-dub
October 08, 2004 01:13AM
Midnite is one of the most amazing bands to date! They bring true rootz to the table! If you are into mostly dance Hall like Shaggy and Sean Paul, they most likely aren't for you, but if rootz is your thing, they are IT!!
guidence.
October 08, 2004 03:45PM
Love em live...
October 08, 2004 07:11PM
Midnite is one of those bands that is so tight and solidly roots that they put half the people asleep, but if you listen to the lyrics, you are awoken. I started out not being into them too much and now I love them. Solid!

fourtwentyplenty
October 09, 2004 02:58AM
IMHO, Midnite is a revolution in modern reggae... they are the tip of an iceberg of crucial consciuos works coming out of St Croix and other parts of the Caribbean as well, If ya like Midnite there are many many others to chek for from St Croix including but not limited to Bambu Station as mentioned above... ones like Iba, De Apostle, Master Chang, Sabbatical Ahdah, Ras Attitude, Abja, Army, Batch, The Great Abu, Donnie Dread, Danny I, Ikahba, X-Kaliba, Yah Shilo I. There are some very powerful female voices hailing from St. Croix as well, ones as Dezarie, Mada Nile, Nyingro, Sistah Joyce, Natty Empress to name a few... Then there is bredrin Yahadanai, hailing from Guyana... The band Gomba Jahbari, hailin from Puerto Rico. Jahcob Seed, Umojah... And the list will continue to grow as the people come to know... Chek it out children!

[www.midniteband.com]
[www.soundssupreme.com]
[www.mtneborecords.com]
[www.soundvizionrecords.com]
[www.igraderecords.com]
[www.rastafaria.com]
[www.ireggae.com]

Ya done know, I man been playin this music every week...
Higher Reasoning Reggae Time
KBOO Community Radio, 90.7 FM, [www.kboo.fm]
Early Sunday mornings, 3-6 am, Pacific Time

Ras Danny RAW# 301 at the control
SisAJoI
October 09, 2004 04:24AM
Bless Ras,
Sis April
EmpressLove
October 09, 2004 07:06AM
Thanks for the info Danny. will have to check that broadcast
much love
give thanks
Lh
Zana
October 09, 2004 03:39PM
Love Midnite. They are worth checking out, for sure.
Try their earlier albums before the Midnite Branch series, IMO.
Vaughn's (the lead singer) voice is so rich and wonderful to listen to.
iman
October 10, 2004 04:55PM
Midnite is definitely one of the most crucial roots bands today.

Here are the most essential albums, in my opinion:

Ainshant Maps
Seek Knowledge not Vegenenance
Unpolished
Ras Mek Peace

If you started with these 4 albums, you'd be in great shape.

The i-branch and i-grade collaborations are good, but more experimental, with variations off the one-drop vibe. The best of these collaborations are Vijan and Geoman.

I think Vaughn Benjamin has one of the most incredible voices in all of reggae, chanting and singing with ease and thick on pure rasta poetry, far more intelligent than most Iyrics I've heard, and the music itself is pure hard-core roots (no cheesy keyboard lines, no horns, a lot of choppy guitar)

Try this link for a listen (cut and paste into new window) and tell I what you think:
[www.ireggae.com]
October 10, 2004 06:59PM
>the year is 2004* -RASpects+
October 12, 2004 05:04PM
to I, just I opinion****, They are what bob was in the 70's to those people, who were doubtful, unsure and only till after his death, did millions and millions catch on and buy albums etc. This midnite group has 15 albums some of which are unreleased on disc...These comments are not open for debate just I own opinion thank you SNWMF post board...time will tell if my "projections" prove right...
October 12, 2004 06:20PM
Midnite, along with many of the St.Croix crew, is like a breath of fresh air for those that apprecialove roots music in it's purest form. Check in Ras Mek Peace, this shot was only recorded on two tracks. Seek Knowledge Before Vengance, Unpolished and Jubilees of Zion are all well crucial. These Lions are a blessing for InI who need roots music in our lives. The band is ONE, the lyrics are among the best I've ever heard in reggae since BOB with raspek to word play and arrangement. Vaughn Benjamin has a one of a kind voice and his brother Ron is a magician on the keys and back up vocals.

This type of musical group is straight from ZION.
October 12, 2004 06:22PM
Well I, for one, believe that Bob was Bob, and Midnite is a whole NEW chapter. Whereas Bob signed with a 'major' record label, and allowed Chris Blackwell to add a 'rock oriented' sound to his music, Midnite has shunned all 'major record' offers, and have been steadfast in their refusal to alter their own vision of what their music should sound like.

It should also be noted that, while Bob Marley did sell more records after his death than before, he was a HUGE world-wide success long before he passed. One only needs to look at the 40,000-100,000 people that went to his concerts to know that he was a 'superstar' long before his passing.
SisAJoI
October 12, 2004 07:43PM
For real!- Midnite has only been doing works since 1997 or so---- and to bust out 15 albums in that time is a feat alone....plus alot of folks don't recognize how the Live Midnite insperience takes all recorded music to much Igher Ites, new chants, new word sound, serious Iducational, scholarly Insites. I could go on and on about the virtue and weight of Midnite, but the truth is that midnite is like an onion, many, many layers, a constant revelation. Them get deep, and deeper still.
Years and years later, I am still getting new wiseon and perspective out of Midnite.
A true glory in the eyes of JAH...... and them won't be selling out, never, this is true to roots, these bredren make a big 'sacrifice' in the ways of potential income in order to stay true to their hearts. And that deserves massive raspect.....
Let alone sheer musical talent. When ya heard a sound anywhere near the drummers style???? Anywhere? That is unparelled...That is complex music......ya throw in phil on his bass and ya have a most crucial rythym section, untouched, unconquered by anyI in all reggae works. When ya see an I come as strong as Vaughn? Such discipline as Vaughn, such Istorically rich truth as Vaughn? Such Priestly Presence as Vaughn? That man is a Istory lesson plus prophetic vijan in one. Uncommon, unpolished. And very, very real. This is not synthetic music, remix an remix. pay this I say that.... this is a virgin first press, seen.
Giving thanks- InI living in rich times amongst serious Instruction. Truth is abundant, plentiful, available.
iman
October 12, 2004 11:07PM
Thank Jah that they never signed with a major label-the Midnite sound being watered down would be incredibly disappointing, and there are already enough pop reggae bands in the world right now.

Midnite will be around for a long time, and only get more popular, they are already getting a big following by the faithful, and anybody I introduce to their music becomes an instant fan.

I agree that this music has so many layers to it... just listened to "Blackson Rays" from the Vijan album, with only acoustic guitar and Vaughn singing, and the deepness of the lyrics and phrasing and chanting and soulfulness matches and even takes to the next level Bob Marley's music.

And I think a good point about them is that his voice is not rough and ragga like Buju or Sizzla, its soothing yet edgy...makes the music listenable any time of day or night without getting old.
October 12, 2004 11:46PM
>i* would have to dis-agree with the rough voice part not dat u could really compare buju or sizzla to vaughn when he meks a wise choice of trying to sing it instead of yelling @crowd in return for dar money. in matter of fact im listioning to some 'live' midnite from the 2004 summer tour az iNi speak. -RASpects+
October 12, 2004 11:53PM
_which show is dat? in matter of fact snwmf hot hot saturday afternoon'z blazing set out of collection! -RASpects+
SisAJoI
October 13, 2004 12:10AM
errr...how ya'll get this stuff?
October 13, 2004 12:13AM
hummm...... >1LUV*+*+*+*+*+*+*+ sistren -RASpects
October 13, 2004 01:20AM
I have had the privilege and honor of private reasonings with Vaughn, Kafunya, and other enlightened beings after shows and just because 'chaos crossed our paths again' (according to Vaughn) and I have to say that this band and all the people behind them practice what they preach. I am pointing this out because I have had opportunity for reasoning with others whom I resepected only to find they had nothing to bring to the table. When you are living the life you speak of, it shows and I feel that is why so many people are in awe of Midnite because what you hear and see is really who they are..seen...
I don't idolize any man or woman, but recognize REALNESS, and Midnite is REAL, not magic, not to put up on a pedastool, but seen as equals of all of us, all of our higher selves we should all strive to cultivate.
Also, from a strictly musical point of view, their harmonies are some of the best I have heard backed up by solid drum and bass, accetuated with a guitarist who can play the blues in a reggae song and make it work....even my friends who are not reggae fans, but musicians, give props to Midnite for being tight.

In the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty
October 13, 2004 03:11PM
SisAJoI, he recorded them himself. He has been vocal about his live recording activities. Personally, I think it is great. Artistically, he is a pirate. I feel that Midnite would not be pleased that they were recorded without thier permission.
jbwelda
October 13, 2004 03:37PM
midnite seems to not be bothered by people making audience recordings but they (their manager more likely) disconnect any board patches they see. plenty people are right in front of the stage waving hand held recorders though and they dont seem to worry about it much.

one love
jah bill
October 13, 2004 03:44PM
Um, has anyone ever asked them if they could record the show? I would think that would be the defining factor.
jbwelda
October 13, 2004 03:57PM
not to put too fine a point on it, but do you think i was born yesterday or something xacto? have YOU ever asked them? try it sometime.

one love
jah bill
October 13, 2004 03:58PM
People often get recordings not asking permission and than hoard it for themselves, creating a "Ihave" and "you dont" kinda vibe. seriously sick people out there that dont want to share jah healings......pirates might be a better word...and when artists say you cant have a recording...even more funny...
October 13, 2004 04:01PM
No I have not asked them, but I don't have any of their bootlegs either.
Some artists welcome the recording of their shows as promotional.
SisAJoI
October 13, 2004 04:28PM
Well maybe Bun hasn't, but I have asked them jah bill and I know their stance on this issue well, as does Daniel.
And regarding people in the audience with handhelds. ILee and others have and will go up to those guys.....and Vaugh and others sometimes glare at these folks, too. I have seen guys with phones, taking a few pics- I think it is annoying to see this glowing phones held up in my face, but it is a quick thing. Handheld recorders and what not rarely stay running if ya know what I mean.
I know ya can't stop pirates but that word is that word for a reason. You pay your $20 bucks to see midnite live- that is the insperience ya paying for. That does not buy anyone the right to record music for any use, any intention.
This is coming from a gal that has over 300 live recordings of various artists---- trust me, I wish I had all the live midnite I have ever seen plus some, but when it comes down to it, I see Midnite as having alot of integrity, and I choose to mirror that on their request.
jbwelda
October 13, 2004 04:37PM
you may notice that the security at the gate looks for recording devices as well as cans and bottles.

hmmm, could that be a hint of something?

one love
jah bill
October 13, 2004 04:39PM
Could be a hint that the folks who are doing the illegal activities are running the show.
jbwelda
October 13, 2004 04:46PM
what xactly does that mean?

what i meant by the above is that anyone with a recorder inside has more or less had to sneak it inside and more or less are in "stealth" mode for all that implies. regardless if you look carefully you will see numerous recorders in the audience.

no one "running the show" is engaging in any "illegal activities" as far as i know. recording *for* the band (a common courtesy) is sometimes done from the soundboard, midnite chooses to not allow that except in certain circumstances so i expect most appreciate that and at any rate they have a very capable manager who is more than willing to introduce those who dont take a hint to the reality of the situation. on the other hand, tony screw and downbeat were requesting they be recorded (though most all board recordings that night didnt turn out).

one love
jah bill
October 13, 2004 04:49PM
Ras E, you hit it dead on with the "I have and You Don't" vibe.. And we will see the "Ihaves" try to protect their collections and probably drop some names in the process.. As far as pirates, in this music scene I think the artists are much more Pirate like than the small amount of "recorders". Right off the bat I will say I am not talking of Midnite (too new in my world to judge) but most of the elders.. Cmon how many shows do these guys show up late, play for less than an hour or just no show in general? Sometimes without a word otherwise leaving people out in the cold... How many times does an artists cut a set short because of something not crowd related, ie venue or soundman? You can yell promoter but to the fan, the artist's name is the one on the bill, he is the one you remember not the promoter.. (I remember Gregory Issacs 4-5 cancellations before I actually got to see the man, not the promoter) I understand everyones opinions but I just feel the whole scene is a two way street. When you lose a little here (cancellation, short set) you gain a little here (recording). I am not a "recorder", the sound I get from my stuff is not of the quality I would like to listen to, nor do I have any thing to trade of live value so I will just sit here with the "havenots" and drool...
October 13, 2004 04:52PM
Just suggesting that those with recording devices may not have entered through the front gate.
I don't know, I am just a baldhead.
iman
October 13, 2004 05:28PM
InI don't see any problems with it. I've bought 15 Midnite albums, spent hundreds of dollars at their shows and have 3 recordings of their live shows that I listen to from time to time.

I think these type of recordings are for the hard-core fan who really loves them. Trading their actual studio CD's is far worse.
October 13, 2004 05:31PM
Then you are choosing not to see the problem with it. The band doesn't want their shows recorded. They are against it and that is the problem. It's their music after all.

How is David Bowie, iman?
October 13, 2004 05:36PM
Once I pay to get in, it becomes "Our Music", just ask Mr. Hand...
SisAJoI
October 13, 2004 06:24PM
No it does not make it your music. or 'our' music. You pay for the live show, not the ability to record that show. That is very, very simple to overstand. You should go ask Midnite how much $$$ they want to allow you to record their show......see if you can get them to put a dollar value on that works. It won't happen.

and Jah Bill said:no one "running the show" is engaging in any "illegal activities" as far as i know.
And this, unfortunately, is what is happening. I know that to be true.
October 13, 2004 06:33PM
Well, the "I have what you don't" vibe is all ego. Of course, so is the "I get backstage and am in the know" vibe too....
SisAJoI
October 13, 2004 07:12PM
Oh you nuff, bun.
October 13, 2004 07:13PM
>well money fi bun has finaly said sumting i* can personaly agree with on the 'groupie' level. i* also tink the labeling of i* az a pirate is funny to i*self but anyways those dirty looks towards i* rasta smile while im enjoying another fine roots set from midnite while dey be jammin' is still to be seen from the band or other fans standing next to i*. one ting to hi-jack it from the soundboard like bill stated meking a quality rip off but iNi likkle' crowd mic is not doing much except carrying the luv to sum of the more hardcore midnite fans in general like i*self. it is also differnt if u come forward with some BIG mic stand & massive recorder dat u cant walk around with creating a tapers set-up area through out the show. dis is sumting i* dont really get into,its not i* personal style but anyways if any conscious band is going to try to control the 'free' air-waves by using babywrong in dar defense haz got to learn sumting or 2. i* dont feel midnite iz @ dis attitude or i* for 1 would not be dropping a 100 bucks in iNi gas tank & topping it off with another 25 bucks for promotion ticket to catch a fyah with bojarts. i* c' people all the time burning studio stuff,copying cover & home shrink wrapping it to look real to set up dem pirate vend stands if dats what u want to call dem. now dat is a fast 1 i*drens. all the cd's i* trade r' marked & overstood az a bootleg. with dat overstanding it is obvoiusly not the best live recording u ever heard. talk about attacking sum1 4 being honest. why dont who ever is in opposition of i*luv for live versions(not the souped up 'short' studio cut) go join the midnite police. not sure personaly if dey would be flattered i* dont speak for the band like some 'tink' dey r'doing but the thought of some red stripe running around in crowd when dar is no trouble to be found is nothing but a sad cite @ any concert event here in amerikkka sorry to seh. please dont cry about it. nuff weeping & wailing in dis crucial time. live it up with your 'own' life!
-RASpects+
October 13, 2004 07:43PM
Listen, my personal beliefs are that people should be able to make recordings. But that doesn't mean I am oblivious to the reality of the situation. I don't mean to label anyone as a pirate because I am on your side. Those that oppose the recording of live shows would be offering the pirate label.

Relax Sis, just keeping you on your toes.
iman
October 13, 2004 08:16PM
iman stand for truth and rights, who is David Bowie smiling smiley

This situation is a tough one; I can see the band's point, but bootlegs just keep us nourished between tours, not a substitute for the real 'ting.

If they overstood it from our point of view, I'm sure they would be ok with it...I understand why they may not be, but again, its just true roots fans that love their music enough to put up with a poor copy of a live show.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login