Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MORE FIRE!capleton,cocoa,moses bun AZ.!*

Posted by Jahmeek 
MORE FIRE!capleton,cocoa,moses bun AZ.!*
October 07, 2004 03:01PM
well to say i* almost passed this show by due to venue vibes but glad i* did not. so i* was able to witness this red HOT travel show. the effert to get this gig canned was mashed by livicated energy by promoter holding his LEGAL ground. it was turned into a 21&over show to keep it extra protected ofcourse leaving out youth with out parent barred out but hunDREAD'z did come to show there support @the venue of scottsdale in arizona. so as expected their was a body search @entrance already showing signs of hostile security beyond promoters control because of police like management(ex-cop running venue). although there is smokeing allowed in scottsdale there were spotters on 2nd floor to bust up "any" attempt to share some sacred herb among iNi or even personal as the red shirts were always walking through crowd looking @hands to see what "everyone" was up to(this went on through out whole concert).
iNi so ready &the band is ready......
there was no jah thunder appearence that i* was looking forward to but surprise* who is this rasta mon inna turbin opening the fyah? it's prince malachi setting sum spark inna a wicked style i*ve never seen from him before. a few brand new chunes to bring it up with band holding it's own in front of excited crowd.
next up moses i* bringing up the mic roaring into a uplifting reggae vibe. he did not have much stage time but got a little solid set in with a very strong message between line of red song quoting "..... & faggots gwan now create world of destruction. what about the children? what about their future? what do you tell the leaders of the world that want to make nuclear weapons & faggots!?..." RED! he chants during the version on with chorus.
next on with personal i* ticket stub holding: cocoa tea coming in with strong roots doing his cover of 'rastaman chant'. something was differnt here i* sensed pon the stage as after the song he took a moment to give his straight opinion obvious on dis chit'stem attacking their tour. he stops band with a load voice blasting "Haile Selassie I the first JAH!!!!!!! dem demonstrate tv special & all dem ting well nah stop bun! cause dey block hope* righteous will uplift mankind seen* cause the rastaman come to teach. listion you hear me!? i*seh..." i* think he says someting about proverbs 13 & 20 hard to hear it clear do to bad reverb sound. but goes on clear to say " so tell dem to read bible tomorrow i-man! fyah bun lesbian & batty mon!!!!!!!" on into dancehall ram 'bust out of hell' this is a hyped up performance from the sweet, sweet cocoa haz he kools down the set with that sugar iNi all kno* fresh reggae* just a fine set i* say give him his own tour & diffently a spot @snwmf 2005* he had the band really pushing steady on roots riddims not to mention a full chorus from crowd on 'israel's king' as went on bubble'in some hit list markers & a couple a new B'z from latest release. but not enough for iNi as the show was cut way to short on TEA for the headlining fyah mon act waiting up next*
after a BIG vocal mc intro capleton came on standing very tall & in full force with his own intro. the crowd was cranking out some noise forsure with some groupies giving it dem all* as he walks pon stage u hear """ SsssLLEeeeWwWw DdeEemMMM!!!!! .. were burning dem out!, seh burning dem out -yeah! holy Emanual Selassie! yes, Rastafari is the all mighty! Rastafari is blazing down the road yeah! Arizona we got burn ,i*say battymon! we got to bun babywrong!!!!!!!""" into 'jah jah city' behind crowd wailing along as always. this was a pretty much chart buster song set list through out show not touching anyting past still blazing works but never the less did check in the all time GIANT heavyduty dancehall rammers that iNi all kno*who follow the mon. crowd kept up pace even with extra commits stuck in on every chance he could get to mek sure it was overstood this is a freedom of speech & the gay blockcade was nothing but folly, to sum it short for ya. he diffently took reasonable time to explain the fyah message to crowd of on goers clear with nuff reason. even if anyone did not agree with the ras stance about what is happening nobody was leaving & all ears seemed to be getting the point it was a HOT subject now more than i* should say last years tour, ya kno* and alwayz making sure the crowd wanted more by requesting the more fire chant* before he would go on further.
so the show was going great even with a semi-distorted echo sound due to venue's non-reggae soundboard men & simply also acoustic problems from high dome hall like venue. but it never fails sum1 is feeling a little to good & sparks up some ganga. the two africans were quikley attacked by some ground staff after a spotters warning(these guys obviously did not kno* dey were being hawked like every1 else). as common practice @venue of scottsdale dey were illegaly searched & asked to leave so dey could be shoved into city police waiting outside. well these to grown men were not having any of it & simply just wanted to drop the smoke & continue on with their fun. security did not ease up on that jesture a bit after all dey have been waiting for this(there own fun)all night. so after almost a near riot pretty much dar whole army of red shirts flu in to save dar co-workers face & violently pushing crowd to hover in. it took about 12 of these bumbaclots to literality strangle hold these two i*dren & drag dem to front door. well after dat the vibe was lost because of lame beef head red shirts & capleton played a couple more tunes & pulled the plug even though dar was more time left.
while exiting there was a couple of out of place looking suburban white girls trying to hand out some activism flyer for gay sumting* but i* didnt even bother to read it or even laugh because all i* could tink of was the two guys who left in squad cars handcuffed because of messed up venue vibes. but i* diffently could hear much dis-respect responses for dar efferts as iNi walk away. people giggle'in saying bun dem batty mon! while others were just smile'in in defeat of the lesbian. what a show! crucial history here. get up stand up for your rights. all REGGAE promoters need to stand up for dem selves like Arizona did. dont let these people get iNi down. dem have NO future with iNi or even period. barking up wrong tree forsure. MORE FIRE!
>1LUV*+*+*+*+*+*+*+
Re: MORE FIRE!capleton,cocoa,moses bun AZ.!*
October 07, 2004 03:10PM
didn't arizona decline to honor martin luther king with a state holiday?
October 07, 2004 03:13PM
>no dat was the vice prez. dick & i* tink hiz buddy John McCane* -RASpects+
October 07, 2004 03:20PM
no i think it was the people of arizona who voted down a proposal to have a MLK day, a number of years ago. glad you enjoyed the show. too bad about the security. there should be a security patrol to patrol the security at some of these shows. but i suppose it all depends on the venue. for instance, twinkle brothers are playing the bay area end of the month. they will be at ashkenaz (a lively bar) and also some opera house. my guess is that smoking will not be tolerated at the opera house.
October 07, 2004 03:32PM
i* really could care less about babywrong calendar version but capleton & prince malachi did try to get a rally going with some highgrade lyrics but crowd was not tight enough. probley would have been differnt if on weekend night but anyways capleton did make clear on babywrong holidays u mention. not M.L.K. day but just about every other hallmark nightmare u can think of quik in united states also mashing bush hard. so still not sure on your 1rst remark use to thread besides maybe u dont like Arizona & gay demo bla bla'z in cali can mayB do it better or sumting like dat. but never the less smokeing in AZ. is still a issue just as it will also be in cali if bush is re0elected since his crew wants federal block against all medical mary jane state law. -RASpects
jbwelda
October 07, 2004 03:52PM
the opera house is cool. probably same scene there as ashkenez and as all sf related venues: open house.

about the security, lets see if i have this right. these two guys had been warned by the "spotters" but kept it up anyhow?

if true, then blame them not security. thats whats called personal responsibility and if they were given the chance to put it away and declined, thats called personal irresponsibility. and the get got like sonny barger once said.

and now we come to the part where jah bill is called a babylon. i dont care, i take care of myself and these folks should too. a word to the wise usually avoids a ride in the paddy wagon.

one love
jah bill
Acacia
October 07, 2004 03:56PM
They used to round up deliquent kids from my high school in the paddy wagon. What fun! Just like a hayride.
October 07, 2004 03:59PM
no sorry bill. i* should have said floor staff was tipped by spotters on dar headsets. dar was no chance to put it away & certinal no peaceful resolution obtion here. the rest should be clear. the rest is pure security gung ho dung, ya kno*
-RASpects+
jbwelda
October 07, 2004 04:14PM
ok, thanks for clearing that up jahmeek. thats a whole different deal and like you said, file under overzealous babylonians in the place.

you dont mention coco tea (i know, im a broken record)...wasnt he there?

one love
jah bill
October 07, 2004 04:22PM
Yeah, i would like a translation of the original post too JB..... I'm sure there is some reference to him in there but can't read passed the third or fourth *
Selecta
October 07, 2004 05:13PM
I stopped reading jahfake's posts long time ago...
October 07, 2004 08:51PM
daniel> i* what?*******
selecta>then why r' u posting dis thread? im sure you have much better tings to do like:.......,*
October 07, 2004 10:02PM
What are you guys smoking? Try reading it again. It's pretty clear. Nice summary Jahmeek and glad to see that everyone there held their ground. That really sucks about the guys getting pulled out of the venue. That s**t would practically start a riot over here. Burn out the security for that.

Sorry to hear Capleton might have been affected by that little incident. He should've taken the opportunity to speak up about that when it happened.

Oh and someone please tell dirtweed that we get it already. I've actually turned off dirtweed and turned on jahmeek again.

fourtwentyplenty

Post Edited (10-07-04 22:02)

fourtwentyplenty
October 08, 2004 12:44AM
Yes, very nice review Jahmeek. Oh how I wish I was there....
October 08, 2004 07:57AM
Sorry JahMeek. My last post was a desperate outlash at the difficulty that i have in comprehending your posts. Given Jah Bill's comments, it appears that i am not alone.

On Wednesday night (just before the AZ show), Capleton called into IRIE-FM and reasoned with Mutabaruka about the whole california tour fiasco. It was real interesting. Unlike another artist (who has been experiencing the same problem), Capleton did not bow down in the least. He explained that, in his belief, homosexuality was an abomination, and that when he 'buns out' dem man (like he buns out the church and babywrong), he is speaking metaphorically about a spiritual burning or cleansing, and does advocate the literal 'burning' of anyone. He also pointed out that the bible speaks of stoning and killing men who lay down with other men and asked where the movement was regarding banning the bible.

During the interview, he mentioned flying into Grand Cayman for a show a few years ago. When he arrived, the promoter told him he couldn't sing about burning out the church or hailing up the ganja. Capleton responded by saying "fine, book me on the next plane home".

While I have never been a big fan of capleton (i don't like being yelled at), I give him Maximum RASpect for standing firm to his beliefs. Personally, I think the anti-gay lyrics protesters have chosen the wrong artist to pick on. Has Capleton ever sung lyrics advocating violence against gays? I don't consider his 'bun out' lyrics to fit into that category, just as i dont consider Anthony B's "Fire Pon Rome" to be advocating violence against the Vatican.

Damn, what would they say about Bob Marley..... "I Feel Like bombing a church now that that you know that the preacher is lying."
October 08, 2004 08:35AM
To be honest I thought this was one of Jahmeeks clearer postings, but the real issue is we, northern california, missed out on some great shows. Nice to hear each of the performers took some time to express their opinion of what had happened to their tour and nice to hear Capleton is holding his ground somewhat, explaining the thoughts behind his words, is this interview with Mutabaruka available online?

"you dont mention coco tea (i know, im a broken record)...wasnt he there?"

cocoa tea coming in with strong roots doing his cover of 'rastaman chant'. something was differnt here i* sensed pon the stage as after the song he took a moment to give his straight opinion obvious on dis chit'stem attacking their tour. he stops band with a load voice blasting "Haile Selassie I the first JAH!!!!!!! dem demonstrate tv special & all dem ting well nah stop bun! cause dey block hope* righteous will uplift mankind seen* cause the rastaman come to teach. listion you hear me!? i*seh..." i* think he says someting about proverbs 13 & 20 hard to hear it clear do to bad reverb sound. but goes on clear to say " so tell dem to read bible tomorrow i-man! fyah bun lesbian & batty mon!!!!!!!" on into dancehall ram 'bust out of hell' this is a hyped up performance from the sweet, sweet cocoa haz he kools down the set with that sugar iNi all kno* fresh reggae* just a fine set i* say give him his own tour & diffently a spot @snwmf 2005* he had the band really pushing steady on roots riddims not to mention a full chorus from crowd on 'israel's king' as went on bubble'in some hit list markers & a couple a new B'z from latest release. but not enough for iNi as the show was cut way to short on TEA for the headlining fyah mon act waiting up next*
SisAJoI
October 08, 2004 08:52AM
What is the contact info for this promoter??? He/she deserves a big up. Yes I- I am glad the show went forward and that the bredren stood firm in principle despite $$$$temptations
October 08, 2004 09:01AM
If you subscribe to IRIE-FM [www.iriefm.net] you can listen to that (October 7) interview online. I will be including that interview, along with another one he did at SNWMF last year, on The Uprising this Sunday. We will also be giving away some tickets to the SLY & ROBBIE/TONY REBEL/HALF PINT show beginning at Noon this Sunday.
positive_vibes
October 08, 2004 09:10AM
thanks for the review jahmeek i was very disapointed about this tour being cancelled in california i wish more venues would have not gave in to protests from people who care nothing about reggae music or the reggae fans, the only time i have got to see cocoa tea was the time he was at the sierra nevada show. those of us who have been supporting reggae concerts for ten years or more realize that this was a rare thing for him to come around and when i heared about him being at reggae in the park i was really looking forward to it, then at harlows in my own back yard seemed even better especially with new music out from him such as songs red now and round of applause something i heared recently . i can only hope for next year i guess .
October 08, 2004 09:46AM
yo fourtwentyplenty - tell me that you get what? already. that these guys reap what they sow? that they are being held accountable for what they profess? but i am in a funk because you have forsaken me for jahmeek.
October 08, 2004 10:27AM
Dirtweed go play your Elton John CDs.

Daniel, what station broadcasts your show?
October 08, 2004 10:28AM
October 08, 2004 11:42AM
daniel - is that the kind of posting you allow?
October 08, 2004 12:01PM
"I'm a bitch, I'm a bitch
The bitch is back
Stone cold sober
as a matter of fact" - Elton John
October 08, 2004 12:15PM
"It's sad, so sad
It's a sad sad situation
and its getting more and more absurd.
Sorry seems to be the hardest word." - Elton John

Post Edited (10-08-04 12:16)
October 08, 2004 12:17PM
Take your choir preaching to the castro dirtweed. I've got no interest in debating you on this one.
October 08, 2004 12:23PM
take your gay bashing to the the neo-nazi compound. there is no debating about it.
October 08, 2004 12:26PM
Gay-bashing? I did? OK dirtweed. By the way I'm a Jew.
October 08, 2004 12:48PM
It is not up to me to "allow" posts. Instead it is up to me to delete posts that go over the edge. DW, how could i in good conscience delete chimino's post to which you object and not delete your reply as well? I think you only do a diservice by responding to garbage posts with more garbage......
October 08, 2004 12:49PM
well what are you talking about then fourtwentyplenty? i have to assume that since you don't agree with me, that you are for gay-bashing. what are you for? and how does being a jew mean anything? by the way i'm straight.
jbwelda
October 08, 2004 12:55PM
ooh the fires getting hotta!

one love
jah bill
October 08, 2004 01:13PM
daniel - my post would not have appeared if the offending post by chimino was properly edited/deleted. yes i should keep my mouth shut, something i was never very good at. but at the very least my offensive posts are reactive to anothers initial offensive post. i do not have the self-control to let these hate-induced posts go unchallenged. but i will promise not to threaten to throttle chimino again, no matter what rudeness he posts to me.
October 08, 2004 01:30PM
Thanx DW. To my knowledge, I have no way of editing posts... just deleting them.

And while it is true that your (offensive) post was in response to a post you found offensive, so too, Chimono's (offensive) post was in response to a post he found offense.

We are all living, breathing, thinking (well at least most of the time) beings. We all see life through the prism of our own minds. You may find my treasures worthless, and I may find your trash to me priceless. Let’s honor, revere and respect our differences rather than faulting others for not seeing the value of what we may hold dear to our hearts and souls.
October 08, 2004 01:41PM
You know who has some nice trash?

zoki.
October 08, 2004 01:43PM
Hey, i guess I can edit posts after all!!!
October 08, 2004 01:46PM
there may be no limit to your power daniel.
October 08, 2004 03:22PM
DW...Listen.. Just because somebody rejects the idea of homosexuality this does not make them a basher. People like you have created an environment where you cannot even say you disagree or you are a considered a basher.. BS.. Gay bashing is inflicting physical or emotional harm on Gays, not rejecting their ideas. I have no problem legally protecting them from harm and agree they have a right to their lifestyle just as I have a right to mine. I also have a right to morally reject their lifestyle, as they do mine... BTW do you plug your ears during all the batty/lesbo references? Since this issue came up I seem to be noticing more and more, not just by the dancehall artists either and alot of it from the past, so this is nothing new. Are you proposing changing things?sad smiley This music/culture is not California's/B(G)ay area's to change and some of us have the right to see it and hear it and like it..

October 08, 2004 03:41PM
I support their Sizzla and Capletons right to gay bash. A right to speak of their religion. Just like the preacher in a christian church. SODDAM AND GOMORRAH. We have smart minds to make it up for ourselves. Sizzla and Capleton have a right to say what they want to say just like EMINEM. And please don't come with your legal jargon because this is what I believe in.
October 08, 2004 03:42PM
on the other hand those of us who don't object to capelton and others being cancelled get called gay (not that there's anything wrong with that). kinda works both ways. and no i don't plug my ears or even avoid the lyrics if they are presented. i was ready to go see capelton (actually cocoa tea but i would have stayed for capelton) at both reggae in the park and harlows. however i understand why the shows were cancelled and so don't have a problem with that. i am not actively going to demonstrate against these guys but i will also not bellyache if/when they get cancelled. rather hypocritical yes but my allegiance lies more with gays than those who advocate violence against gays. yes, if it was up to me i would advocate a cultural change. there is no need for violence and hate against anyone. especially something as inconsequential and non-threatening as sexual orientation. how many singers out of jamaica do not sing of bun di chi chi and etc? many more than do sing about it. why do some feel the need to sing of it? why should they not be held accountable for their views when they themselves make it a public issue? i know this is stretching it a bit but take out the references to gays and put in references to women, whites, muslims, latinos, blacks.. would you deny the right to protest to them?
October 08, 2004 03:45PM
those are all races. This is not a race that they bun. It is an action that makes them homosexual. It is not the color of their eyes or skin, it is not a religion, it is an action.
October 08, 2004 03:47PM
Oh and by the way NorCalJAhMan
Respect
but this is not a Northern California issue. It is happening all over the country. Houston Next. It is happening in Europe.
October 08, 2004 03:52PM
so it would be ok to discriminate and bash a nurse or a teacher or a vegetarian?
October 08, 2004 04:06PM
Randomdude
I concern myself with my home and when I cannot see Capleton within my drive capability then it has affected my life and I will comment. If it is very important I will take action, this issue does not deem that in my eyes..

Dirtyweed
You seem to stretch the truth in your postings, using terms like gay bashing and advocating violence towards gays. No conversation I have read on this board has even related to gay bashing or advocating violence. Capleton's lyrics, from what I have heard, do not advocate violence. Is there a history of violent riots against gays following capleton shows?

Quote: He explained that, in his belief, homosexuality was an abomination, and that when he 'buns out' dem man (like he buns out the church and babywrong), he is speaking metaphorically about a spiritual burning or cleansing, and does advocate the literal 'burning' of anyone. He also pointed out that the bible speaks of stoning and killing men who lay down with other men and asked where the movement was regarding banning the bible.

Now I am sure you can find some lyrics from someone to back your cause but let's stick to the subject of Capleton and his northern california cancellations. What about CocoTs comments in AZ? BTW I have never assumed or called you gay but I just notice you like to jump in whenever it is brought up. Sorry to break it to you but the music you love does not advocate homosexuality. I think it might be interesting to start a thread "Batty Lyrics" and see who ends up on that list and what they say.. I think we all might be surprised by some of the names... Fun for a rainy day... Anyways "A nice weekend to all" and I gotta clock out of Corporate time and into mine..
BMC
October 08, 2004 06:05PM
If you wanna hear some of what Cocoa Tea thinks on gays you can start with:

Cocoa Tea - Bun Dem (Digital B, 1997)

Nice tune on the same riddim as Sizzla's Give Them A Ride.
October 08, 2004 07:02PM
Being a Jew means something when you tell one to go to the Neo-Nazi camp idiot. Don't play dumb. If you have to assume that I am for gay-bashing then you are not as smart as I thought. I have never said that I am for gay-bashing. Quite the contrary. I have worked with gays, been to parties with gays, known gays that have died of AIDS. My next door neighbors in fact are two mid 60's lesbian women and I have no problem with them. They are nice people and I chat with them when I see them. I do not hide from them nor do I keep my children away from them. I am not anti-gay. I am anti-gay agenda. Tolerance is the key, not acceptance and they are trying to force us to accept them. That is not for them to decide.

I am in no way in favor of artists songs that have lyrics advocating violence and yes Capleton has had songs directly referring to violence against gays. I am however in favor of Capletons' or any other artists right to express their moral views. That is what I pay to see, not some B-side American version. Give me the real stuff, I can take it. I may not agree, but I can take it.

"on the other hand those of us who don't object to capelton and others being cancelled get called gay (not that there's anything wrong with that)."

Nobody is calling you gay. I think you've taken this too personal and it is distorting your view. Reggae deals with truth and rights and with it comes honesty. If you can't deal, don't listen. I'm not letting you tell me what I can and can't listen to.

fourtwentyplenty

fourtwentyplenty
October 10, 2004 12:37PM
i agree - i would rather see authentic music than cheap imitation, even if i don't agree with the lyrics. however, as one who is sympathetic to the gay movement i don't get all up in a hissy fit when they are canceled for their lyrics. and you who are upset about not being able to see capelton and others - please note... they have their freedom of speech just not their freedom of venue. they played in arizona, they played in texas. they will play other cities. be realistic about california and how (generally) liberal it is. of course smaller venues and festivals (especially in the bay area) are going to listen when gays protest. they are a hugh presence (i.e.$$$) and $$$ talks. and yes 420 i have been called gay (and/or words to that effect)on the board because i support their agenda. i also support the agenda of minorites, does that make me black, latino, asian, etc? i would imagine this is the same type of outcry when blacks began demanding to be "accepted" in the 50s & 60s. people who were/are anti-black put up a huge stink about being forced to acknowledge blacks rights. yes being black is not the same as being gay but the point is that people, regardless of race,creed (gayness) or color are entitled to equal rights and protections.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login