Posted by denny 
denny
DAVID LINDLEY & EL RAYO X?
March 11, 2004 05:08PM
ANY REUNION WISHES FOR DEM?
jb welda
Re: DAVID LINDLEY & EL RAYO X?
March 11, 2004 05:44PM
they killed it at rotr last year. best bunch on the bill imo.

one love
jah bill
March 11, 2004 06:20PM
I dunno about best on the billing, but I thought they were indeed a great group...far exceeded any expectations I had...enjoyed their performance immensely...I see that david lindley gonna be at the ventura theater on friday april 16th and i would go except Im gonna be in Kingston Jamaica for carnival that weekend.
denny
March 12, 2004 12:41AM
Dave plays alot these days.He plays acoustic instruments with Wally Ingram on drums and percussion.Acoustic reggae is very irie!Been enjoying Mr. Dave going on 30 years now.Daves always been a follower of RASTAFARI!Visit his website and catch him live for sure sometime you will be glad u did.TWANGO BANGO VOL. 1-3 ARE THE SOUNDS TO FIND.ENJOY AND STAY IREI.See you there.
denny
March 12, 2004 12:44AM
JB WELDA tell me about the show last year.please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????Did u rock it with I?
jb welda
March 12, 2004 01:09AM
well denny its rare that i go to a reggae show or festival and come away claiming the best thing i saw and heard all day was a bunch of white boys (ok strictly theyre not all white). but thats how it was to me. they just tore it up. that hammond B3 with the whirly around thingie amplifier cabinet (darn it i ought to know what thats called and really i wouldnt know a b3 from a hole in the ground) just sounded so great and of course mr dave was right on top of it inna sardonic stylee. ive seen him solo or with other ensembles before a few times but this time it was just the best. i think quarter of a man was the highlight but really it was all great. i was up on stage so got a good view of the entire setup and i was even more impressed than i was prepared to be. i swear they blew everyone off the stage in terms of sheer musicianship.

i was actually hounding warren to book these guys but nothing so far. would be a great addition and feed right into those who want "world" music (whatever that is). i guess that was a one-off show for el rayo x.

one love
jah bill
jb welda
March 12, 2004 05:37AM
a leslie speaker, thats what it is, a leslie speaker. wicked sound

one love
jah bill
March 13, 2004 03:59PM
Heres some of what the 2003 ROTR Program Guide had to say about this band:
After 13 years, David Lindley & El Rayo-X has returned to the road for a very limited number of special engagements and ROTR is one of these shows....He is a master of the stringed instrument...Throughout his long and distingushed career, Linley has been one of Hollywoods most in demand session musicians....

In 1981, Lindley created the band El Rayo-X, named after a Mexican matinee idol, which integrated American roots music and world beat with a heavy reggae influence. According to Lindley, El Rayo-X is more or less a party band with radioactive lyrics.
Ian McLagan was the guy on the Hammond B-3 with the miked Leslie Speaker. That was pretty awesome the way they had that thing setup, it will definitely get your attention. The Hammond B-3 was the big thing in the 60's with American jazz trios, like Jimmy Smith, John Patton and Richard Groove Holmes, etc and then the rock guys started using it in the 70's, Vanilla Fudge comes to mind..ha ha

Jackie Mitto was one of the renown B-3 players outta Jamaica during those times.

Every synth and digital keyboard has a B-3 voice but there is still nothing like a real growling B-3 with a properly miked Leslie pumped through a huge sound system.

I love the Hammond B-3 organ, its a classic, have one sitting in my livin room, pretty much for decoration now...too bad I can't play it like an old pro.

john
jb welda
March 15, 2004 04:55PM
>Ian McLagan

are you sure about this? this guy was a player in the faces long ago right? im not so sure he was playing with lindley. i could be confusing him with someone else though.

one love
jah bill
March 15, 2004 05:40PM
Right out of the ROTR program guide:

The band lineup features original members Jorge Calderon, bass;
Walfredo Reyes Jr., drums; Ray Woodbury, guitar; and Ian McLagan, Keyboards as well as percussionist Wally Ingram.

I dont know anything about Ian or what he looks like or if it was him at ROTR, but its likely the guide is correct.

john
jb welda
March 15, 2004 05:57PM
well, i emailed ian mclagan and asked him about this. 20 minutes later i get this reply:

Hi Bill,

That was indeed us. Glad you enjoyed the show. btw, there was a
Puerto Rican and Cuban in the band, so we weren't totally white.

Cheers,

Mac

so that definately solves it. guess it would have done me good to look at the program eh?

one love
jah bill
March 15, 2004 08:06PM
thanks 4 the review!i know this was just a few dates but mr. dave never says never.well except to cocaine or something like that.but i think we have a fair shot at see them again somewhere.if the audience knew he was that good then the band probably got the message also.ive seen him here in oregon since that and he said how fun it was and maybe they would do it again.so well see? maybe u soould ask mr. mclagan?how long of a set did they do. any tapes for trade out der?
March 15, 2004 08:34PM
jb sey:
i was actually hounding warren to book these guys but nothing so far. would be a great addition and feed right into those who want "world" music (whatever that is). i guess that was a one-off show for el rayo x.

Hey JB, keep working this...there is still time, especially if you can contact the keyboard guy...I would love to see these guys again, I really liked the ska sounding stuff they did. Keep hounding!

john
bun n cheese
March 15, 2004 08:37PM
was this the soca band that played rotr?
bun n cheese
March 15, 2004 08:40PM
oh, i am thinking of michael montano.
March 16, 2004 04:21AM
Machel Montano came on Saturday night at about 11pm.

David Lindley band came on in the late afternoon on Sunday about 5 PM when it was still sunny and warm...not really a big crowd down front which was good for me...perhaps you were still sleeping at that time with a lot of the others who over-indulged, not you of course.
bun n cheese
March 16, 2004 05:09PM
probably chillin in the river round that time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login