Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Who went to MBRF?

Posted by Delilah 
Who went to MBRF?
September 02, 2008 04:21PM
I chose to sit this year out. The line-up was so weak I couldnt justify the cost. I did hear Ky-Mani Marley played a nice set, but that was from a youth who thinks that Dawn Penn is the latest star out of Jamaica.
Re: Who went to MBRF?
September 02, 2008 05:12PM
You should have gone, then you would have had a great weekend like myself. A little to much hip hop reggae for I but all in all it was a reall good time.
Soul Majestic / Oueen Omega, Sister Carol , Junior Reid, Quinto Sol , Tosh meets Marley it was all good, well I guess I could say I never need to see Collie Buddz again..

Dj Yogi

Yogi's Picnic Basket
Heard live and direct
Monday's 12:00 PM - 2:00PM
88.9 FM KUCI
Irvine,CA
Streaming on www.kuci.org
Tunein radio Radioflag and I Tunes
rootsandriddims.kuci.org

Please show your support helping to end youth homelesness.
[reggaeforareason.org]
September 02, 2008 05:21PM
I went and did think that Kymani played a nice set, (saw him last year, same place). Missed Queen Omega due to being on the road still. I particularly liked Michigan & Smiley (my first time seeing them) and the Mighty Diamonds and appreciated that JR. Reid tried to accapela and continue the show on the last day at the last hour. Not sure what happend to Turbulence, a no show I guess or on the other stage? The second stage at a new location (no longer inside the beer garden) was further away and a little bit a drag to make it back to the big stage in time to see the main acts. One of my friends really liked Kevens, it was too loud for me, I was over by the bathroom and the building was vibrating. Tosh Meets Marley: good set BUT kept waiting for Junior Marvin to appear but no show!

All in all, it was a very nice weekend and I was only able to justify the cost and gas because a few more people came along so we were able to share. We also explored more of the beautiful area and went on the 17 mile drive and aquarium (jelly fish were amazing to watch). Like someone else said on the board, this festival marks the end of summer and the vibe is nice and to spend it with friends and to see people that you havent seen in a while is always nice. Yes, the line up is unpredictable and we did wait till the last minute if we were going or not.

Give thanks for the Irie vibes and music!

Post Edited (09-02-08 10:22)

~ Love is my Religion ~
September 02, 2008 05:36PM
Yes, well I didnt have anyone to split the cost and after doing the math, i would have spent $610. That is more than some of the musicians made. I am glad those of you who went had a nice time. Hopefully, the Monterey staff will start planning NOW, and get the acts booked and and stop depending on their standbys to make a reggae show.
September 02, 2008 05:56PM
next year's line-up just announced:

Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Dennis Brown, Augustus Pablo with King Tubby at the Controls....
September 02, 2008 06:20PM
good one higrade.. lol

~ Love is my Religion ~
September 02, 2008 06:40PM
Give thanks to those who showed and supported Lutan to the fullest. Vibes was nice....wish he got slotted later, but so it go......for the record, Turbulence was in Euro..........Ever bless.....LK

www.lustrekingsproductions.com
www.myspace.com/lustrekingsproductions
September 02, 2008 08:26PM
Only went Saturday but had a nice time. Lutan Fyah was very good, Michigan and Smiley were great for the first 2/3 of the set, then kinda dragged on filling out the Turbulence no-show period. Tosh mets Marley were solid, but we split about 1/2 way through their set. The second stage was really awkward, set so far back in the livestock stalls. Some of the music there was nice, but with everyone hanging back under the eaves of the poutry pens, it was just plain weird seeing a big empty gap, devoid of people, in front of the stage. Lot's of vendors present, with some nice artistic stuff, not just the usual Marley spliff t-shirts, towels and tams.
Peace.
September 02, 2008 08:31PM
That's awesome HiGrade - i man have been wanting to see Peter play live for a while now!
September 02, 2008 11:01PM
ok, so Turbulence is/was in Europe!! so why is/was he still on the line up on the site on friday am??

~ Love is my Religion ~
September 02, 2008 11:26PM
I second Ja lover's comment. I got the lineup showing Turbulence playing at 245 on Saturday. When it came to this time they just passed right over him without saying anything about it. I still had a good time, just didn't really appreciate the fact the the person I most wanted to see didn't play without any explanation or anything. This has happened in the past here so I wasn't very surprised.
September 03, 2008 05:19AM
strange business plan??

~Eastbay Streetsteady Riddims~
September 03, 2008 09:16PM
Exactly, an explanation is the least one could have given instead of letting us just stand there like some children in the dark!!

~ Love is my Religion ~
September 03, 2008 09:44PM
So from the original lineup that Jahsprey posted in the other MBRF thread, how did it all play out? Who showed from the original line-up?

Friday
Ky-Mani Marley - performed
Collie Buddz - performed
Lutan Fyah - performed
Amha Baraka Jah - ?
Free-Sound w Sun - ?
Jonah And The Whalewatchers - ?
Dub-Star - ?

Saturday
Sizzla - cancelled
Bounty Killer - cancelled
Fanton Mojah w Yellow Wall Dub Squad - cancelled
Tribal Seeds And Roots Natty - ?
Ras Danny - ?
40831 - Universal - ?
The Midtones - ?

Sunday
Alpha Blondy - cancelled
Kevens - performed
Anthony B. - cancelled
Quinto Sol - ?
Richard Marley Booker - ?
Fely - ?
Ras Popo and Molley w Red Meditation - ?
Valley Roots - ?

Ever Forward
Empress
September 03, 2008 09:49PM
so it was just as expected........
September 03, 2008 10:10PM
Actually, I don't really care about having the rest of the names filled in. This is pretty much the story for me: Original headliners performed - 3. Original headliners cancelled - 5. Bummer. I really, really like this show and I know Andre has his heart in the right place but dang. Not exactly a major league batting average.

Collie Buddz - performed
Lutan Fyah - performed
Sizzla - cancelled
Bounty Killer - cancelled
Fanton Mojah w Yellow Wall Dub Squad - cancelled
Alpha Blondy - cancelled
Anthony B. - cancelled

So on to the other question. What headliners actually performed from the lineup that is currently posted?

Friday
Collie Buddz & New Kingston Band - performed
Queen Omega - performed

Saturday
Tosh Meets Marley - performed but no Junior
Rankin Scroo - performed
Michigan and Smiley - performed
Turbulence - cancelled
Lutan Fyah - performed

Sunday
Junior Reid - performed
Mighty Diamonds - performed
Sister Carol - performed

Post Edited (09-05-08 08:24)

Ever Forward
Empress
September 03, 2008 10:11PM
what I don't understand is why people keep supporting MBRF year after year when they get burned every time? staff, volunteers, artists, concert goers...everyone... why? why support something that revolves around lies, disrespect & trickery?
September 03, 2008 10:16PM
Hi Amy!!!

>why support something that revolves around lies, disrespect & trickery?
Denial, hope and the avoidance of accepting that the summer festivals are over.

Ever Forward
Empress
September 03, 2008 10:49PM
Ranking Scroo did play and was very solid. I enjoyed his set very much. Peace.
September 03, 2008 10:54PM
September 03, 2008 10:58PM
Kevens also played on Sunday and was different (Dub -Jungle style) but my friend totally liked him and so did others.. I saw him last year so knew what to expect.

~ Love is my Religion ~
September 03, 2008 11:01PM
Yep, you got it...Empress, Denial, hope and the avoidance of accepting that the summer festivals are over, that's pretty much the truth.. and to catch with some friends and just to get away is always nice.

~ Love is my Religion ~
September 03, 2008 11:26PM
true dat heidi... never saw you this year... sad smiley
ever in santa cruz hit me up!
September 04, 2008 12:28AM
>what I don't understand is why people keep supporting MBRF year after year

whats that saying about fool me once, shame on you?

anyway i think its an oversimplification to say people keep supporting it, many people i know its just become a joke thing. i have a feeling you know some of those people and have your own circle of same style.

and empress you should count in the artists announced in the interim, coco tea for one example, who then also cancelled. its a bleedin revolving door.

oh well respects for what came off, sounds like it ended up a decent show, just not what many expected.

one love
jah bill
September 04, 2008 04:35AM
I gotta say that I go because it's close and it's always on my birthday weekend (...and I tend to go to a lot of live shows around here). I love the venue, with the green grass, shady oaks, good vendors, and there's always an abundance of good locally harvested produce. Reggae music played loud on a sunny central coast day is really hard to beat.

This year, despite my many hesitations, my wife and I went because the sky over Monterey looked blue (on the NOAA 1 km satellite image), it was the middle of a long weekend and the kids were with granny. We left serious expectations at home, and came away with a generally good feeling at the end of the day.

While I lived in Vermont back in the 80's, the annual VT reggae fest went away for a while, and it was dearly missed. Travelling to Montreal or New York or Boston to catch shows was cost and time prohibitive. To satisfy my reggaemylitis back then I had to rely on a dated vinyl collection, mix cassette tapes from far flung friends and a couple of excellent local radio programs. Then I moved to Santa Cruz, "where there's an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty."

I'd hate to see the MBRF disappear altogether. As I've said before, one or two really great days, with real solid, truthfully advertised headliners, would be so much better than the thin soup that they've been ladelling out for the past 3-4 years.

Peace.

September 04, 2008 01:54PM
Greetings!

This year I have vended at Reggae Rising, Northwest, Seattle Hempfest, Spring Reggae in Arizona, Reggae in the Desert, and to many others to mention.

Regretfully, I would have to say that Monterey was the least organized and poorly planned. I believe the organizers and there crew are extremely greedy, egotistical, and are liars.

I was told that by a staff assistant that Monterey Festival, was not making money from the show. My response is "STOP HAVING IT"!!!!!

September 04, 2008 03:16PM
This was the first year I didn't go. I wanted too, but was moving to the other side of the Bay, and by the time I got into my new spot, was so friggin tired I SLEPT through the whole thing. Too bad: vibes are always good there. It's just 30-40 minutes down the US1 for me now...

[www.RealitySounds.com]
[www.SantaCruzReggae.com]

rasta cruz reggae
September 05, 2008 07:43AM
FYI Empress, The Mighty Diamonds did play, and were great.

Yes, the festival needs a major overhaul. I personally go because it's close to home and sometimes I can sit in with a band to get a free pass.

There are efforts to have another Central Coast/Salinas Valley/MontereyBay reggae festival.

The lineup changes are ridiculous. That is not professional. There is some scamming going on. That doesn't help get repeat from major acts and vendors. There are outstanding debts, from what I've heard. That isn't good for PR.

The name is worth something though. Someone else could take the festival to higher heights. Or Andre and friends could too. I think his heart is in the right place, but maybe needs some more honest, experienced, and knowledgeable folks to consult with and guide things.

It's still fun to go, but man, this year there were not a lot of people there. And the second stage over by the stables was lame. Many things to improve.

Perhaps if they only had a MBRF forum so we could offer suggestions. hehe

Peace and Positive Guidance
omaniband.com
September 06, 2008 07:41AM
I have spoken to both Andre and his brother. In one ear, out the other. I really want someone else who knows what they are doing to take this over.

Andre isnt learning from his mistakes and it seems the hole he is digging is just getting deeper.
September 06, 2008 06:04PM
MBRF was started in 1995 by Robert Brown, who was Ras Midas' manager and tour manager at the time. The first festival was 6 hours of music including the Mighty Diamonds, Pato Banton, and Ras Midas. In 1996 while organizing the next festival, Robert suffered a heart attack and passed away very suddenly. Andre and Pamela Smith, who were the first festival’s crafts vendor organizers, decided to try and keep the Reggaefest going. They took over with very little preparation at organizing or running a festival, but still managed to put together a full day of music including Burning Spear and, back-by-popular-demand, Pato Banton. They've been keeping it each year except for 2003.
September 07, 2008 03:25PM
Stamina
You wrote that to say what?
September 08, 2008 09:01PM
I have mixed feelings about MBRF. I have been going since the beginning...when it was on that tiny stage in the front, and have seen alot of changes.Some good ,some not so much.I don't want it to get so big as to loose that small town feeling.Most of the other festivals are big productions,big sound systems,big price tags,big everything.If they want a Reggae Rising or SNWMF ,etc, then it should move to Laguna Seca.That would be a shame.I don't know a thing about management,I am a consumer.Don't minipulate people in thinking they are going to see different headliners than actually show up.The price tag is not cheap and Management should have RESPECT for THE PEOPLE who DO show up.This year the music was only mediocre. Great food,good venders.However , the venue of Monterey Bay is so relaxing and peaceful to me I just love being there..Lots to do that weekend including the festival.
September 08, 2008 09:29PM
Just to give some background about the festival that folks here might not be aware of. I'm not here to either praise or criticize the MBRF or its management. That's already been done here aplenty.
September 15, 2008 04:58PM
Jumping in on this conversation a little late, but.... This year was my first time going, I went to see Sister Carol and the Mighty Diamonds who did not disappoint. The weather was nice as was the drive. Sad to see the line-up is never as promised but even sadder to see the under the table things going on.

No outside food or cooler allowed in? Some security at the door were taking bribes to let coolers in. Our apples were confiscated at the door, but a woman sitting in front of us had a large cooler full of all sorts of goodies. We asked her how she got in with it, she said they did not notice. I understand that the food vendors need to make their money, but even if I pack in my own food, I can never resist the good food offered and will lend my support. What about the people out there on a shoestring budget who can not afford festival food?

Wrist bands? People were selling their bands and taping them on the buyers, security were also taking bribes to let them in.

Beer? You had to buy another wrist band (at this point I wondered if that was just another made up price) and gulp your beer down in their beer pens instead of enjoying it while you watched the show.

I'm 50-50 on this, having enjoyed who I came to see, but did not like the other goings on...
September 16, 2008 09:51PM
It seems this festival is put on by greed instead of the love of the music.I bought one ticket for my daughter from a person outside the fest. who had a bunch of wrist bands that had to be torn from a string of them. I believe he was security tryin to make deals.There was another girl doin the same thing. The line up changes were a real let down. there was no shortage of vendors. One vendor told me he paid $1400 for this fest., the most expensive event for him yet. It seems this festival is all about makin money at our expense. If i wouldn't of won tickets on the local radio stations, I don't think i would have gone. They really need to get this festival together. It has the potential to be a really great event. I hate to see all this shadyness goin on there and there is a lot of it going on there just to make a buck.
September 16, 2008 10:15PM
I have been anti Mbay for a number of years now. I won't air my problems with this festival as its something between me and the promoter of this event. But I can say that this festival has all the makings to be a great festival but the promoter is alittle to shady and not very smart when it comes to this show. MBRF over charges vendors so that they can pay some of there up front expenses. What other festival changes there line-up as much as this one does? None!! I understand that this is the last festival of the year and people do have a good time here but the promoter lies about the line-up and to me thats just not right. Its not like these artist miss there flights or can't get in because of a real visa problem. No contracts or deposits are taken care of and that not the way you do business in this business. I have to deal with the backlash of this promoters style all time when dealing with people.
D
September 16, 2008 10:55PM
I&I see a wide impression that there is a group of greedy promoters swindling money when in reality they have a hard time breaking even. Don't allow the illusion of money to ruin the positive vibes.

Regarding volunteers taking under the counter bribes and not holding up to their responsibilities, the same thing has been said about every festival. This behavior is undoubtedly against any promoter's will.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login