Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

some ideas for 2005 SNWMF Lineup

Posted by TR-808 
TR-808
some ideas for 2005 SNWMF Lineup
November 10, 2004 07:57PM

i believe each of these are realistic and are currently performing, or have recently performed.

CLASSIC SNWMF 'Roots' style:
-----------------------------------
VICEROYS -- recent success in France and Europe
MICHAEL PROPHET -- continues to perform and record in UK w/response to both
EARL 16 -- continues to perform and record in UK w/response to both
RONNIE DAVIS -- all-time great vocalist, and underrated talent, great for SNWMF
JUNIOR REID -- no comment needed
PRINCE ALLA -- no comment needed
CORNELL CAMPBELL -- no comment needed
AFRICAN BROTHERS -- (w/ T. Palma for Bubbles.. adds options for other sets)
THE JAYS -- nice semi-recent set from Studio One

1980s 'Rub-a-dub' dancehall style:
---------------------------------------
HALF PINT
SISTER NANCY
LITTLE JOHN
ANTHONY JOHNSON
MICHAEL PALMER
WAYNE SMITH

1990s 'raggamuffin', 'lovers', and 'dancehall' styles:
-----------------------------------------------------------
Everton Blender
Richie Spice
Admiral Tibet
Pinchers
Sanchez
Supercat
Turbulence

ORIGINAL ARTIST and SNWMF 'ACE' style:
-------------------------------------------------
Derrick Morgan
Clarendonians
Paragons -- John Holt (w/T. Evans, W. Francis and/or Howard "Barry" Barrett)
Dawn Penn
Bob Andy
Re: some ideas for 2005 SNWMF Lineup
November 10, 2004 07:59PM
I would love to hear the Twinkle Brothers through that big rig this year.
November 10, 2004 08:13PM
All top shelf suggestions, Solid.
November 10, 2004 08:21PM
If we're putting together the serious 2005 line-up lets see Saturday night feature a St. Croix Explosion in the Dancehall with : Sabattical Ahdah, Army, Ikahba, Batch, Ras Attitude, Mada Nile, Danny I & Bobo Ites in Sound System style. Can you imagine the vibes? Woy!!
It was harsh when Rory and Stone Love Crew cut off Sabattical last year. Although I understand Sabattical didn't use his alloted time, (no one was in the Dancehall yet), it would have been nice to hear him touch the mic in front of the SN crowd.

On another note:
Bring Back The Mighty Jah Youth for 2005!
-MK
Fish
November 10, 2004 08:30PM
"AFRICAN BROTHERS -- (w/ T. Palma for Bubbles.. adds options for other sets)"

Definately does add options . . . Sugar, Tony, and Triston Palmer all could easily do a solo set, and maybe perform on sound system. Doing that would make them dominate the festival quite a bit, though . . .
On a new roots tip - what about Natural Black? Wicked artist and uncompromisingly roots, he'd fit in perfectly . . . he wouldn't be as big a draw as Capleton or Sizzla but he definately fits much better into the ethos of the show. Louie Culture would be wicked, too.

Something else that could be killer - doing a Youthman Promotion theme. Bring in the African Brothers artists mentioned above, and maybe another singer or two (Michael Palmer or even Yami Bolo). Then to add a bit of deejay spice, you could bring one or two out of Colourman, Captain Sinbad, Welton Irie, or even Daddy Ants if you could find him - none of the deejay names would be big draws (although I might go a long way to see Captain Sinbad perform), but they probably wouldn't ask for a hefty fee either. Even if they don't do a full stage set (which I think they could), they could appear on stage to liven up the singer's acts (somewhat like Red Fox dropping in during the Harmony House show). Then at night, all of the artists could perform on soundsystem - I've heard that Sugar is working on reactivating the Youthman Promotion sound, and this would be a great venue for them.
jbwelda
November 10, 2004 08:53PM
youth promotion in the dancehall with sugar minott and whoever he deems crucial

one love
jah bill
November 10, 2004 08:57PM
i think nick hit most of my top picks...michael prophet/bob andy/earl 16!

i would add

max romeo
ranking joe

and i agree, ronnie davis would be great, too! he's around and well under-rated.

m.

TR-808
November 10, 2004 09:43PM

and you hit one of my top picks:

> (---.mcmenamin.com)

!

yes Youth Promotion would be a good sound for SNWMF.

anyone know if Jah Stitch ever selects or even operates for them anymore?

and i agree with Fish about Natural Black. have heard reports and seen video of his stageshow(s) too -- high energy vibes for sure.

as for St. Croix stuff, i'd had enough of that stuff about two years ago. let's please not start this thread into that direction, but i will just say it would be my choice to have original Jamaican artists handling as much of the reggae as possible. for as much as some certain swell-headed people are charging, it would be easy to pay for two whole sets manned by original Jamaican greats.

anyway bunny let's not forget one i didn't list above that we've agreed on for a long time: Jah Mali. his next LP/CD should be coming any time now...
November 10, 2004 09:52PM
Sweet!

Didn't Max Romeo play a couple of years ago?

And ditto on the St Croix crew too.
BMC
November 10, 2004 09:54PM
Next to Natural Black, it would be cool to have Jah Mason and Lutan Fyah in the same package. Not that I'll ever be able to make SNWMF, but ok. All three wicked artists.
BMC
November 10, 2004 09:56PM
Oh yes, I think Tanya Stephens would be wicked too.
TR-808
November 10, 2004 09:57PM

i also forgot to mention a couple of other roots-harmony options:

The Techniques

The Maytones

The Melodians

agree with you BMC about Mason and Lutan. i did have Turbulence listed above but should have done a who little category there with these guys.. he matches that better you know..
BMC
November 10, 2004 09:59PM
Oooh yes! A package with Natural Black, Turbulence, Jah Mason and Lutan Fyah!! Send 'm over to Europe when they're done! :-)
November 10, 2004 10:11PM
I'd love a good sing song with Chas and Dave. Probably don't have the pull for the main stage, but a nice knee's up at the village stage would be great to round the night off.
November 10, 2004 10:14PM
so has Junior Reid played Stateside then ? i remember all that fuss some years back when he could'nt get a visa. ancient history ?

respect
Dots
November 10, 2004 10:14PM

"as for St. Croix stuff, i'd had enough of that stuff about two years ago. let's please not start this thread into that direction, but i will just say it would be my choice to have original Jamaican artists handling as much of the reggae as possible. for as much as some certain swell-headed people are charging, it would be easy to pay for two whole sets manned by original Jamaican greats"

I give thanks that Warren and the Epiphany crew book quality artists from around the globe, not just those from JA.

Not to turn this into a St. Croix discussion, as you've made your stance very clear, but its hard to beleive you'd had "enough of that stuff two years ago", when many of the quality artists I suggested have just released their debut material.

All things considered, I'd probably rather see Sugar & Crew on the Youthman Promotion set. Downbeat also killed it last year. -MK
November 10, 2004 10:25PM
Dots:
Junior Reid just did a pretty extensive tour throughout the Western US around the end August with an Oakland based crew called the Reggae Angels. I Didn't catch a show, but they were well recieved. -MK
KeithM
November 10, 2004 10:30PM
DO IT NOW BEFORE IT IS TO $$$$
I-Wayne
November 10, 2004 10:47PM
I saw Jr Ried and the Reggae Angels in Berkeley about 2 months ago or so. He was OK. He was actually singing Mykal Rose songs???? I didn't get it. And no, I'm not talking about the Black Uhuru songs, I am actually talikng about solo Mykal Rose songs. Even down to the "tu-tu twelve" iiieeeeeyiiiiiiiyooooh. CARBON!!
November 10, 2004 11:43PM
xacto--i think you're thinking of junior byles that played a few years ago; have never seen maxie, but i sure would love to.

m.

jbwelda
November 11, 2004 12:38AM
jr reid often out-michael-roses michael rose.

one love
jah bill
November 11, 2004 01:11AM
Author: Fish (---.caltech.edu)
Date: 11-10-04 12:30

"AFRICAN BROTHERS -- (w/ T. Palma for Bubbles.. adds options for other sets)"

Something else that could be killer - doing a Youthman Promotion theme. Bring in the African Brothers artists mentioned above, and maybe another singer or two (Michael Palmer or even Yami Bolo). Then to add a bit of deejay spice, you could bring one or two out of Colourman, Captain Sinbad, Welton Irie, or even Daddy Ants if you could find him - none of the deejay names would be big draws (although I might go a long way to see Captain Sinbad perform), but they probably wouldn't ask for a hefty fee either. Even if they don't do a full stage set (which I think they could), they could appear on stage to liven up the singer's acts (somewhat like Red Fox dropping in during the Harmony House show). Then at night, all of the artists could perform on soundsystem - I've heard that Sugar is working on reactivating the Youthman Promotion sound, and this would be a great venue for them.
---------------------------------------------

Great minds think alike, Fish.
Been a little busy lately, but I'm trying my best to get both of those ideas to reality.
jbwelda
November 11, 2004 01:16AM
i was under the impression sugars sound system was called "youth promotion" not "youthman promotion", or at least thats what sugar referred to it as last year when i talked to him about this very thing.

one love
jah bill
jbwelda
November 11, 2004 01:21AM
to answer my own question, after a little research it seems the name of his *organization* might be "youth promotion" but the name of his sound system might be "youthman promotion".

what a thing

one love
jah bill
Spleece
November 11, 2004 01:24AM

'Otta bring JAH MASON (#1 tune in JA right now) as well as GANJA (DEEP ROOTS reggae en Espanol from Mexico City). I'd like to see EVERTON BLENDER @ SNWMF: never seen him outdoors yet. 'Otta bring HAWKEYE too, conceince modern rootz & dancehall for the kidz. I like his tunes Thank You Lord, and Mama No Cry. You know who would REALLY kill it tho? BURRO BANTON or CHUCK FENDA, or I-WAYNE for that matter. OH! Or CARUSO from Europe: that dood can SING! Or any of these guys: JOHN JUNIOR, PAUL ELLIOT, MIKEY TENNA, ITTIMO, RICHIE SPICE, SPANNER BANNER, (little) HERO, geez, so many current boom-tune recorders...

"do it now before itz too $$$$!"
-s

P.S. I will second the African Brothers & Ranking Joe too! They would kill the place!
November 11, 2004 05:58AM
personally I'd like to see Dennis Alcapone, he deserves every bit the respect that U Roy now (appropriately) receives.

I'd like to see Willie Williams too, and of course

The Ethiopian.
November 11, 2004 06:54AM
I second the I Wayne vote.
Bunny Wailer??

In the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty
KeithM
November 11, 2004 06:12PM
I-Wayne's Can't Satisfy her is one of the biggest songs all over the world right now!
November 11, 2004 06:21PM
True, true, but I am even more impressed with songs from I Wayne like: "Living In Love" and "Good For Good".

I would love to see I Wayne at snwmf 05 along with some other new(er) artists like:

Natty King
Queen Omega
Determine
Lutan Fyah
Natural Black

(Look solid, no v.i. artists - well at least not in this post)
TR-808
November 11, 2004 06:34PM

nice one daniel. i think all those would probably play well to SNWMF people and would personally take the most interest in the last three.

by the way, i admit i'm crabby when it comes to certain things...

;-)
November 11, 2004 06:38PM
Well i am of the mind that snwmf owes the massive some 'dancehall' artists after last year, though it isn't easy to find someon that fits into sierra's family/positivity/upful vision as so many of these artists spend too much time chanting about bling, bling, or degrading women with their lyrics.
November 11, 2004 07:24PM
Well Mike I cant agree more with your post above. Sabbatical did get a terrible sound and was cut off early. Also, jah warrior hi fi shelter played to much before hand and should have let him come on earlier and then play a dj set before stone love. I agree with danny I and bobo batch and ras attitude, but what about my I Grade records crew, Yahadanai and Abja. I sent you that press kit right? I think that will be the shocker of the year. don't sleep on bambu station either....
November 11, 2004 07:29PM
Ras E,
Believe me , I'm not sleeping on Bambu, or the Igrade Crew. Hopefully their plans to hit the West Coast this spring will manifest, and generate some name recognition for them and the SoundV.I.zion stable. Just a matter of time and hard work. I'll Catch you next Thursday at Ashkenaz, if you don't make it up to Six Rivers on Tuesday night. Respect, MK
TR-808
November 11, 2004 07:33PM

"ras e" your revision of that deal is off. jah warrior shelter played pretty tough as usual and that sabbatical nada guy sucked arse. additionally, it wasn't jws keeping him off the stage. it was nada that chose to wait and wait, hoping he could get more people in there before he pummeled then with off-key, um.. well i wouldn't call it singing, and it definitely wasn't deejaying..
November 11, 2004 07:49PM
TR-808,
Man you really have it in for the Croix crew. Fortunatley, I doubt your feelings are shared by the majority of Sierra Nevada faithfuls, outside the elitists on this board who think they sound intelligent when trashing positive artsists.
Is your glass half-empty? -MK
November 11, 2004 07:58PM
TR808 Im not here on this board to go back and forth over me thinking who should play at sierra and who you want (melodians maytones etc) who you want to see. Just know my friend that we all love you and so does his Imperial Majesty Haile I Selassie...stay strong my brother/sister...
Fish
November 11, 2004 08:57PM
"Determine
Lutan Fyah
Natural Black"

Agree with these three especially! Determine is a great under-the-radar artist, don't think he'd be a big draw but I'm sure he could put on a good show . . .
papa ray
November 11, 2004 09:33PM
1.A rocksteady concept could easily involve Al Capone---the players who know this are still around and capable, vocal groups w/ DJ would be sweet. Again,
I nominate Lynn Taitt as bandleader. By the by, has the gifted studio player Phil Chin(who's in L.A.) ever played SNWMF?

2. A Fantasy Request: A Lee Perry show that would involved artists he has produced w/ either an early reggae(pre-Black Ark)concept, or probably more popular, a straight-on Black Ark artists show w/ Perry presiding. I can't see this happening,but no harm for thinking...

3. Volcano Review--try & get Flabba & Style reunited for the riddem section,
then run your choice---Johnny Osbourne/Meditations/Little John/Sinbad/Wailing Soul/Yellowman/Barrington, the list goes on ...

4. HORACE ANDY.

5. Outdoor Soundclash, yard style,@ nite& not in the Angel Camp Hall, 'nuff sound boxes and build on what Downbeat thru down last year----

Reggae-centric requests, I admit.
November 12, 2004 12:17AM
aaaack - no "st croix" sounds at 2005.
November 12, 2004 08:06AM
i* giv i* vote to batch & dezarie on mainstage but the rest have play small stage. midnite iz off & running & hopefully not from iNi az tha groupie's r'movin' inn on*
-RASpects+
AJ
November 12, 2004 01:09PM
How about the Cape Verde sound. It would be a great addition to either stage.
irie+sis
November 12, 2004 03:29PM
i would like to see Anthony B!!!, Norris Man, Bushman,Chuck fenda,Lutan Fyah,natty king,dezarie last year wasnt enough smiling smiley queen omega with her sweet voice,and coco tea. hoping for some new vibez in a 2005. always a good show.
jbwelda
November 12, 2004 05:35PM
1. cant do late outside because of noise curfews

2. sabbatical adda (spelling) wanted to wait till spear was off the stage and by that time stone love was ready to go so he only got a few minutes. personally i thought he was pretty good.

3. bunny wailers aint gonna do it...do you have any idea what he wants for an appearance? you could put on 10 revues like papa ray noted for the price of two hours of bunny wailers; im for revues myself. actually i would like to see "headliners" replaced by a revue of various artists around a common theme.

one love
jah bill
November 12, 2004 05:48PM
Yes I!!! Dump the "headliners" (who manage to make it to these parts for FULL-LENGTH performances) in favor of more revues (who otherwise would never come), and conscious new artists (who will have to become near headliners before they tour these parts).
mark b
November 12, 2004 06:13PM
Besides the co$t 0f bunny wailer,he is totally overated, other than his historical place in reggae,personally i wouldnt see him if he was playing for free.
November 12, 2004 06:16PM
I fully agree with that Reasoning. Sierra Nevada has the ability to bring out artists that independent promoters couldn't take the chance on.
The highlights for me has always been the "rare" performances, and the debut performances that are showcased.
Where else but Sierra Nevada could you see URoy, Jah Youth, Yabby You, THe original Gladiators, and Twinkles back to back. Ridiculous!!
I'm all for leaving the traditonal headliners to all the other festivals, but it takes a certain element of Izzy Vibes, Wailers, Steel Pulse type bands to bring in the major crowds, and keep the whole thing going.

Definatley would love to see a Rub-A-Dub Sound System Revue in the Dancehall! Someone call Sugar!
jbwelda
November 12, 2004 07:32PM
sugars been called.

back to bunny wailers, say what you want, but his performance at rotr last year was solid and well worthwhile. note i didnt say "well worth the expense", but musically well worthwhile and ive seen the guy like 20 times over the years, here, in england and in jamaica and he always satisifies. his recorded output the past decade has been abysimal though.

another thing for dreamers to keep in mind is the reality of the immigration situation. that stops a number of dreams dead in their tracks.

one love
jah bill
solid rock
November 12, 2004 07:36PM

responses to any of my suggestions william?
jbwelda
November 12, 2004 07:52PM
i wouldnt argue with any of them solid, but would especially be for earl sixteen, bob andy, the cornel/alla/rod taylor/phillip frazer/earl zero thing, ronnie davis and a shot of now-a-days dancehall style too, like jah mason, warrior king, cheznik (i dont know how to spell his name right offhand), and a lot more in that sort of conscious vibe camp. coco tea come again too...and i would be 100% for dennis alcapone and especially if blood and fire sound system brings him and ranking joe over...i think carlton livingston would fit in nicely with that scene again.

only ones i wouldnt be too wild about would be michael palmer and wayne smith; i think theyre pretty limited, material wize.

i also like the idea of a studio one revue with soul defenders or someone authentic backing them. this might be more possible now that mr dodd has left the area than it was before.

one love
jah bill
November 12, 2004 08:20PM
>i* support the bunny wailer idea! he was rite on friday nite @R.O.T.R.2004 but to bad Peoples Productions was way of with their show. he really deserves a shot @ S.N.W.M.F. with-out his plug being pulled short or soundboard problems,ect.. even though he pretty much pulls same set list he haz been doing for years the elder vibes r' more than solid these crucial timez dar tru mystic* also by the way the Solomonic Reggastra do their job very tight n' professional! & how could forget backing vocals from the Psalms aka Gaylads.
-RASpects+
November 12, 2004 08:28PM
All Respect Due to Bunny, but rest assured that ROTR will bring him around every couple of years, which is about how long it takes to want to hear the same set we've heard many times.
The $ he requires could go along way in bringing together some of the revues that make SN the top-ranking reggae festival in the US. -MK
sillysquirt
November 16, 2004 03:01AM
I saw bunny this August, he was very good, full of energy, but I can understand those who have seen him before being yawn over it. The tickets were 35 dollars! So I am sure he has a high price tag. What pissed me off the most was how they cut him off at 10:01, they turned off his mic!! There was almost a riot! He wasn't even close to being done. I was just getting into it too. sad smiley
solid rock
November 24, 2004 12:19AM

VICEROYS

TECHNIQUES

PARAGONS

---
November 24, 2004 12:43AM
Bring back Michael Franti and Spearhead !!

He can fill us in post-election.

One love
eric v
jbwelda
November 24, 2004 12:44AM
careful what you wish for there, eric!

;-)

(thats a nefarious wink you know...)

one love
jah bill
November 24, 2004 12:48AM
Its hard to walk down the street in Northern California, and not see a Spearhead poster.
Lets leave Michael Franti to every other jam-fest in the Western Hemisphere, and bring some talent to Angels Camp, that only Sierra Nevada could pull off.

However, I will admit that the best Spearhead show I've seen was at SN a few years back. -MK
solid rock
November 24, 2004 12:50AM
yao chris
November 24, 2004 03:35AM
Dancehall DJ Ideas

Ras Kush - Big Orthodox selector out of NYC - plays nuff modern Roots tunes but also able to bring it into a 70s vibe

Aba Shaka - Veteran soundman based out of Atlanta - One of the best DJs I've ever seen

Iration Steppas - This would be a bit of a leap for SNWMF not sure if the crowd or promotors are ready for this - but they seem to be the top sound in London right now

Aba-Shanti-I - Huge Sound that plays world wide

Russ D & Disciples - Again veteran sound that do be well versatile in the Dance

Nuff other UK & other sounds from Europe that could be a possibility- but it would make the dancehall exciting to have a sound other than Stone Love playing pre - mixed CDS. zzzzzzz........
November 24, 2004 03:51AM
weel if you want a taste of uk roots, how about the Bush Chemists, Makating or Nucleus Roots live ?
jbwelda
November 24, 2004 03:56AM
stone love wasnt playing premixed cds near as i could tell.

problem with those uk sounds include immigration details and costs and the fact that they generally depend on their custom equipment for their "sound". jah shaka has been fairly disappointing (to me at least) because of just that: he cant bring all his bins and stuff with him.

one love
jah bill
yao chris
November 24, 2004 04:25AM
jah bill

you are right about custom equipment and airfair being a potentital issue - however I still think the uk sounds could move beyond the equipment issues. I know Russ D & Aba Shanti I do travel all over the world and do not bring their sounds where ever they go. The airfair could of course be an issue but it's not like a whole sound crew would have to come maybe 1 or 2 people.

Shaka's set at Sierra is certainly not representative of his typical performance as far as I can tell from listening to nuff sound tapes. I'm not sure how to explain that.

As for Stone Love what I saw was they would have 3 or 4 cuts over a certain rhythm mixed on a CD which they would play then they would reach for the next one. Not all were like that but quire a few instances. While to a degree I enjoyed Stone Love this past year and three years ago, I still think a change up would be nice. I hope that is in the plans.

A Combination of Ras Kush & Aba Shaka would be crucial and they are both in the States. I guess I'm a bit partial since I know both of them - but if some one needs convincing maybe a sound tape would do?
November 24, 2004 04:32AM
Downbeat & Stone Love kind of fall under the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" category...plus both have the dubboxes and artists to back them up to play for 10 summers and bring a completely new vibe everytime.

As far as artists, I'd like to see the African Brothers (Sugar, Triston, Tony Tuff), Cocoa Tea & Capleton (since we were robbed this year), plus another dancehall [Jamaican] artist (I would love to see SPRAGGA).

On Downbeat or other veteran sound which is brought I would love to have Johnny Osbourne and either Josey Wales (preferably) or Lone Ranger/Brigi as DJ. Sugar and/or Triston performing the dancehall night as well.
November 24, 2004 05:10AM
I'm not sure Russ D owns a sound anymore
November 24, 2004 05:16AM
yao chris, a change from Stone Love wouldn't be a bad thing...but that depends on who replaces them as bashment sound. MIghty Crown don't play enough dubplates, Rennassaince are mediocre, Bass Odyssey & Matterhorn don't have US visas....who else is there?
yao chris
November 24, 2004 05:48AM
Giab - I'm not sure if Russ D owns the actual sound equipment any more but he certainly does put on a lot of session - though most seem to be elsewhere in Europe.

Chimino as for the bashment sound I would really know who could replace Stone Love - although from listening to Stone Love the last couple years it really would not fit my definition of Bashment and more on side of 80s & 90s Roots Classics. Is Killamanjaro still playing?

I just hope that with all the artists that Sierra Nevada brings in there may be some room for an alternative ie. UK flavor to expose people to some of that sound.
jbwelda
November 24, 2004 07:25AM
ive talked up kush to whoever would listen...maybe that will happen. i could dig it. this year though im pushing for youthman promotion for one...

one love
jah bill
yao chris
November 24, 2004 08:00AM
youthman promotion sounds wicked

bill i'll foward you a sound tape from a session with Kush & Aba Shaka out of Atlanta - I think you'll enjoy - i'm fairly sure I have your personal email somewhere in my outlook
November 24, 2004 08:16AM
I'll see what's up with Promotion. Theyre in a transitory stage right now. So is Jaro...I believe Mr Harper has hibernated the sound til they find a selector to replace Freddy.
jbwelda
November 24, 2004 05:21PM
chris:
wjust@dgweb.com, i will forward a copy of that philo gig in exchange.

chimino:
i am under the impression we can deal with sugar directly, no? i would think he could just round up a couple of his artists and selector and come do the gig. maybe im wrong about that, maybe you can help put the bug in his ear.

one love
jah bill
jbwelda
November 24, 2004 05:24PM
one caveat to my last post:

of course i do not know what im talking about nor do i have any real pull anywhere...its all just talk from my corner.

hope that clarifies things.

one love
jah bill
solid rock
November 24, 2004 05:25PM

> think he could just round up a couple of his artists and selector

JAH STITCH
November 25, 2004 12:23AM
yea, I talked with Drifter (their young selector) the other day, Sugar is not as interested in bringing back the sound as he once was. But if the desire is there (seems it is) from people around here I don't see why he'd turn it down. Yea you can deal with him directly...also I have CDs from a 3-hr radio show they did at WUSB-NY this past Febuary so you can get an idea of what kid of specials they play. And yes I'm sure Stitch is still available, tho I personally am not as impressed with his selecting as I am his musical work.
November 25, 2004 12:31AM
SIZZLA
CAPLETON
BEENIE MAN
BOUNTY KILLA
ELEPHANT MAN
VYBZ KARTEL
T.O.K.
BUJU BANTON

...And whoever said twinkle brothers should play....should they be able to play, "NO soddam and Gomorrah.".........NUFF SAID
November 25, 2004 01:36AM
BEENIE MAN
BOUNTY KILLA
ELEPHANT MAN
VYBZ KARTEL
T.O.K.
>u have @B kidding or @least have never attended SNWMF* -RASpects+
November 25, 2004 01:46AM
Just to let you I love the vibes at SNWMF. I am a fan first and a great lover of great music from around the globe who also produces events and promotes new talent. Would love to see one one or two of the Reggaeton Artists from PR
My wish list

Warrior King-
The Fifth Element Crew that consist of Richie Spice- Anthony Cruz- Chuck Fender.-
Gentleman
Midnite
Tony Rebel
Half Pint- Sly & Robbie
Lucky Dube
LKJ
Luciano
Super Cat
Shabba Ranks
*****FEMALE ENGERY NEEDED!!!!!
Tayna Stephens
Sista Carol
Queen Omega
Dezarie
The I Three

Bless!!!
November 25, 2004 01:53AM
>u have i* more than surprised kufunya to request super cat, shabba ranks & tanya stephens but i* guess every1 haz sumting hiding in the closet rite. thanx for the insight*
-RASpects+
Fish
November 25, 2004 03:15AM
4x4 Exodus could be an interesting change of pace for the bashment side of things . . .
November 25, 2004 03:59AM
LOL Fish, that's a long shot somewhere like SNWMF but I would love to have the 4x out here. I think they're still sorting out visas at the moment. That guy Skallawa from DHR is trying to put together a clash in NY with them next year...
Dadi Digi
November 25, 2004 08:03AM
Get Leroy DON Smart onto the list. Wonder what he is at nowadays ?
December 16, 2004 11:21PM
updated

CLASSIC SNWMF 'Roots' style:
-----------------------------------
VICEROYS -- recent success in France and Europe
MICHAEL PROPHET -- continues to perform and record in UK w/response to both
EARL 16 -- continues to perform and record in UK w/response to both
RONNIE DAVIS -- all-time great vocalist, and underrated talent, great for SNWMF
JUNIOR REID -- no comment needed
PRINCE ALLA -- no comment needed
CORNELL CAMPBELL -- no comment needed
AFRICAN BROTHERS -- (w/ T. Palma for Bubbles.. adds options for other sets)
THE JAYS -- nice semi-recent set from Studio One

HALF PINT
SISTER NANCY
LITTLE JOHN
ANTHONY JOHNSON

1990s 'raggamuffin', 'lovers', and 'dancehall' styles:
-----------------------------------------------------------
Richie Spice
Chuck Fender
Louie Culture
Admiral Tibet
Everton Blender
Pinchers
Sanchez

Modern roots and bobo style:
---------------------------------

Turbulence
Jah Mason
Lutan Fyah

ORIGINAL ARTIST and SNWMF 'ACE' style:
-------------------------------------------------
Derrick Morgan
Clarendonians
Paragons -- John Holt (w/T. Evans, W. Francis and/or Howard "Barry" Barrett)
Dawn Penn
Bob Andy

--

Author: TR-808 (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: 11-10-04 13:57

i also forgot to mention a couple of other roots-harmony options:

The Techniques

The Maytones

The Melodians
January 02, 2005 09:50PM
Greetings:
It would be wonderful to see any artists listed bellow in 2005. In need of pure, true, conscience reggae...
Blessings.

Junior Kelly
Queen Omega
Prezident Brown
Luciano
Damian Marley
Yahadanai
Warrior King
Sizzla

Lookign forward to SNWMF in 2005!

January 02, 2005 10:51PM
Bhakti Rasa is an amazing band that plays a Middle Eastern world beat, deep groove sound. I saw them on New Year's Eve and was blown away. Bhakti Rasa which I believe means 'Nectar Of Devotion',would be wonderful unique addition to this years SNWMF. Check out their web site. www.bhaktirasa.net it's really cool! Their energy / vibe was uplifting and the crowd was really into them!

solid rock
January 26, 2005 12:08AM
March 19, 2005 03:10AM
The Melvins
Godflesh
Neil young
Seko
March 19, 2005 02:59PM
Just Add Blackstarliner sound to any line up and it will be all good. Roots and dancehall from any year. Just positive vibes. WHERE IS THE PROMOTER?
March 19, 2005 04:54PM
And me say funky inna rub a dub style....

HALF PINT
SISTER NANCY
LITTLE JOHN
ANTHONY JOHNSON
MICHAEL PALMER
WAYNE SMITH
Sugar Minott
Triston Palmer
Jah Thomas
Nicodimus
Sammy Dread
Joseph Cotton
March 19, 2005 07:54PM
I'm all for the great reggae acts but how 'bout some other world music styles. Ideas that would really complement the current line up...

Angelique Kidjo
Baka Beyond
Alpha ya ya Diallo
March 19, 2005 09:15PM
Trinity's got tha flava!!!!

fourtwentyplenty
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login