Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

FIRST REGGAE CONCERT ?

Posted by AJ 
AJ
FIRST REGGAE CONCERT ?
September 14, 2008 02:09PM
Well we did first reggae album , how about first reggae concert

For me it was Bob Marley & Tha Wailers @ San Diego Sports Arena in 1979...
Sure was an eye opener for me.The 1st of many reggae shows & more to come .....
Re: FIRST REGGAE CONCERT ?
September 14, 2008 04:44PM
1st was Michael Franti & Spearhead at the Warfield a few years ago.
September 14, 2008 05:00PM
First was a Gregory Isaacs & Third World show [US Sunsplash tour] in which Dennis Brown was scheduled but did not show...

But around the same time, '85 or '86, seeing the Wailing Souls, all 4 in matching yellow suits, the only thing more memorable than those suits was the hard hard version of 'Kingdom Rise and Kingdom Fall' they did - the crowd went wild, that was some perfect Reggae music!

OT: Two other shows that will never leave my head cause they were so good - Ras Michael's first concert in LA after the LA riots [he really let LA have it that night] & Vernon Maytone at the Dub Club [Expanders backing him] last year. Coco Tea's performance at Papa Curly's Seabreeze Festival two or so years ago is a close third, brilliant tempo and choice of songs by Coco.

September 14, 2008 05:14PM
My first reggae concert was one with Laguna Beach's own Rebel Rockers in 1984 on the UCI Campus at the Anthill Pub. I had the honor in 2007 of having them come play the ASUCI-KUCI Reggaefest in June.

My first Major Show was 1986, Bunny Wailer's first US visit to CSULB and I won tickets from my friendly neighborhood DJ, Goldielocks on KUCI.
this was an amazing show, Ras Michael, Leroy Sibbles and others played.
A Day I will never forget.
September 14, 2008 05:35PM
Culture & Burning Spear - Ashland Oregon in 2000
September 14, 2008 06:11PM
Reggae On the River, 1989

Peace
September 14, 2008 06:33PM
First live shows were multiple mediocre local reggae/ska bands in 1979-80 in Madison and Milwaukee. First real all Jamaican reggae band was Third World at the UWM Union in about 1981. Peace.

September 14, 2008 07:41PM
Wailers, the Matrix on Broadway, SF, 1973. Singers were Bob, Peter and Joe Higgs who took Bunny's place on harmonies and percussion. Fams wore an army helmet and looked as dread and as militant as he sounded. When the lights went down that evening and the first drumbeats of "Rastaman Chant" began, well, that was one of my reggae "conversion" experiences.
September 15, 2008 12:50AM
think this was my first live reggae show...
and itta stay in my mind for ever!
it was quite an experience f'sure!

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
September 15, 2008 11:47AM
bless up big jim i was at the long beach show in act i worked one of the gates wicked show but my first major show was twinkle bros at the roxy what a show d
September 15, 2008 04:53PM
My first show was Strictly Roots at the phoenix theater in petaluma, must've been about 8 years old at the time.

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
September 15, 2008 05:00PM
Black Uhuru in Flagstaff, AZ in '96 or so - kinda fun but shows at NAU were tense - from what iNi remember, somebody was arrested for smoking herb on the tour bus (don't know if it was a band member or part of the crew or what) - swore off shows at NAU after that. For those who don't know, Flagstaff is a nice little town in some ways, but there is a HEAVY police presence there (most per capita in the u.s. is what they say) and since there is little real crime, they are really hard on the herb smokers. Don't know if it still is, but when i man lived there any amount of herb or paraphenalia was a felony count.
September 15, 2008 05:29PM
a cleveland ohio band called spirit I,
and i didn't believe how moving their playing of WAR was!

one love one peace
September 15, 2008 05:31PM
first local band here that i heard was CRUCIAL DBC,
they later relocated to santa barbara! now long disbanded.

one love one peace
September 15, 2008 05:34PM
Bunny Wailer @ the Peter Tosh b-day cele. 1999 Maritime Hall, life changed for-I-ver

September 15, 2008 05:51PM
Burning Spear 1987 in of all places Boise, Idaho. I was the house sound tech and got to mix that show!!
WOW
Peace

Post Edited (09-15-08 15:08)

Doug Carnie
DMUTANT
NWWRF
NW World Reggae Festival
September 15, 2008 06:39PM
Hmm, I went to the reggae fest in Tulsa back in '89 or '90. Didn't know what was going on, don't know who performed. All I remember is the bass.
Then saw Steele Pulse in Ft Worth in '98.

I always think back to that first fest and wonder now who I saw. Could have been just locals, could have been Freddie McGregor...
September 15, 2008 07:10PM
Reggae on the River, 1998 I think. Ghetto Youths, maxi Priest, Tony rebel and some others played.
September 15, 2008 09:53PM
Sunsplash in Montego Bay, Jamaica -- I was eight and my dad woke me up in the middle of the night to make sure I saw Burning Spear. In the morning Bunny Wailer, Judy Mowat, and Dennis Brown played. Setting up the foundations for the rest of my life...
September 15, 2008 10:12PM
First was a Tosh b-day celebration at Berkeley Community Theatre in 1987, featuring Michael Rose.

The show that sold me on reggae forever was Isreal Vibration at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz in 1990. They later released a recording of the show as "Vibes Alive". Pretty much a spiritual experience for me.

To all the people that saw Bob Marley live.....I'm jealous!

"Love the Life you Live, Live the Life you Love"
September 15, 2008 10:21PM
Well, I'm jealous of reggaestar...
September 15, 2008 10:35PM
strickly roots at the vets hall central coast.
September 16, 2008 04:30AM
steel pulse in watsonville in 97 or something - with my good friend swami.
September 16, 2008 04:54AM
Johnny Rivers in 1967 I was ten,,,,, yea I am old!!!!
and the Heptones in 1971
then toots and johnny clarke
then everybody else
loved my first Sun Ra concert too the best -but not reggae
and the Syncro system tour w/King Sunny Ade was the most amazing show .damm near ever and KSA is not dead ether!
September 16, 2008 06:26AM
<<<Author: Reggabe (---.ctberk.com)
Date: 09-15-08 15:12

They later released a recording of the show as "Vibes Alive"...........>> I was at this show.

My first show was a 11 yr old Ziggy, Rita Marley and the Dalols from Ethiopia.
My 2nd was Jimmy Riley backed by the wailers at the Wolfgang's in SF

Post Edited (09-15-08 23:27)
September 16, 2008 01:09PM
Lucky Dube in 1990
September 16, 2008 01:23PM
my 1st show was dennis brown and my 1st festival was sunsplash tour 95 w/ sister carol-wailing souls-freddie mcgreger-buju banton-aswad.I recorded the whole show!! it still brings back great memories!!! bless,craig
September 16, 2008 04:39PM
where's that recording now?!
September 16, 2008 06:59PM
my first reggae concert? THE RASTAFARIANS 1981 my first reggae album?FIREHOUSE ROCK,THE WAILING SOULS
September 16, 2008 07:15PM
Hey Al, I didn't know Johnny Rivers sang reggae (though he was def. "roots" in his own way)...did you mean Johnny Nash??

Where did you see the 'farians Madi?
September 16, 2008 07:29PM
SAN FRANCISCO , there was a club on broadway called the STONE..wed nights was reggae night
September 16, 2008 08:25PM
I still have them, they all came out real nice , exp- aswad!!!
September 16, 2008 09:57PM
i would love to hear that d brown......
March 23, 2016 11:26PM
R_Drummie
<<<Author: Reggabe (---.ctberk.com)
Date: 09-15-08 15:12

They later released a recording of the show as "Vibes Alive"...........>> I was at this show.

My first show was a 11 yr old Ziggy, Rita Marley and the Dalols from Ethiopia.
My 2nd was Jimmy Riley backed by the wailers at the Wolfgang's in SF

I was at that Jimmy Riley show as well...

Post Edited (09-15-08 23:27)
March 23, 2016 11:28PM
madisimmons
my first reggae concert? THE RASTAFARIANS 1981 my first reggae album?FIREHOUSE ROCK,THE WAILING SOULS

The Rastafarians in 1981 was my first reggae show as well, but in Guerneville at the River Theatre smiling smiley
March 24, 2016 03:18PM
Reggae on the River 1998 - The Mandators were the first reggae artist I saw perform there. Fantastic show. Sorry to say I've never had a chance to see Victor Essiet again

Bunny Wailer and Andrew Tosh at the Peter Tosh Bday in 99 at Maritime Hall was the first club show and it blew me away. Bunny played a long set until early in the morning.
March 24, 2016 04:01PM
Miami Beach. Lets call it 1990. On a work project with my church, i snuck down the beach to hear a little pan band play calypso and reggae hits. Our hosts would tell us about the "evil Jamaican Rastafarians" who would kill Christians. I picked up a couple reggae cassettes on that trip and as they say the rest is history.
March 24, 2016 04:07PM
SNWMF 2007 was my first!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2016 05:26PM by christinalorell.
March 24, 2016 04:15PM
A band called OBEAH that was around northern california some 4 decades ago. But it was a Toots & The Maytals at Winterland that really got me hooked on reggae.....
March 24, 2016 04:48PM
Barrington levy and half pint in LA at the bongidae Silverback festival 2005
March 24, 2016 05:15PM
Bob Marley and the Wailers, in LA summer of '75. At the Roxy, if I remember correctly. To quote papajoshua, the rest is history.
March 24, 2016 05:23PM
Reggae On the River, 1989

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2016 03:56AM by J_72.
March 24, 2016 08:08PM
The Shakers. Berkeley 1974.
March 25, 2016 03:07AM
Not certain..but a definite early show in Milwaukee, WI at summer fest mid 90s was seeing the Ghetto Youth Crew, Damian, Julian, not sure who else, warm up the place during the day to a sparse crowd. Full camo gear, strong vibes, early glimpse of the big man today. Probably had a couple Toots shows, wailers etc touring through.

When I went to college on the east coast, CT, my reggae world blew up lte 90s with burning spear, culture, don Carlos, I vibes, sizzla at the ocean mist in RI playing guitar with prince Malachi opening, Capleton at a seriously heavy show in new haven...:serious ting, then we move west and start checking SNWMF, lawd a mercy!!
March 25, 2016 04:15PM
Eek a Mouse at Slims in SF around 96-97
March 25, 2016 05:52PM
My first reggae show was a Wailers show at the Independent in 2004. They opened with 'Rasta Chant', i will never forget it. Then i saw Bunny Wailer with Stephen Marley out in Santa Rosa at the Fairgrounds, must have been 2006. First SNWMF was 2007, and i was hooked.

Love that reggae!
March 25, 2016 06:21PM
We got some old timers on here (besides Herb smoking smiley)!

Jeff's got me beat by a few years, but ROTR '92. I had been going to rock concerts religiously since '79, and had a few Bob albums and Harder They Come, but didn't become a full blown reggae-head until that weekend. Also my first multi-day festival, and I was sorely unprepared - didn't even have a tent! Friends were going and I tossed a bag in and went along. Came back sunburnt to a crisp, but my attitude was forever changed!
March 25, 2016 08:24PM
First club gig was Tony Brown & The Roots Band 1978

First real concert was Bob Marley & The Wailers 1979

...I think

Jah Son
March 25, 2016 11:18PM
Ras Tumba and Ashanti I
Dallas TX
Royal Rack lower Greenville

Dennis Brown w Watusi
Club Exodus
Dallas TX

Back in the day when 'Jamaican posse' was huge in the
Dallas(oak cliff) and Houston areas
March 26, 2016 01:05AM
My first concert ever was UB40 at UC Davis around 1983 or so? Labour of Love Tour. If that doesn't count, The Mighty Diamonds at Circle Star Theatre around 1986 or so?

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
March 26, 2016 07:07PM
Spirit of unity festival at the Greek in Berkeley. Think that was in 97. Had steel pulse, ziggy Marley, shaggy, ras Shiloh, maybe third world. ..? Anyone else at that one?
March 26, 2016 07:29PM

Spirit of unity festival at the Greek in Berkeley. Think that was in 97. Had steel pulse, ziggy Marley, shaggy, ras Shiloh, maybe third world. ..? Anyone else at that one?

I was at the Teva Spirit of Unity festival @the greek. My recollection is that is was Maxi Priest and not Shaggy. I remember Culture, Ras Shiloh, David Kirton, Third World and Steel Pulse. Don't recall seeing Ziggy there either but it has been a long time....
March 27, 2016 06:45PM
You mean the first one I can remember?...would probably be Bob Marley Festival at MacArthur Park in downtown LA, likely around 1980.
March 27, 2016 07:13PM
Burning Spear in 1994 @ the "Taste of DC Festival." I was 12.

Merrion Berry knew how to throw a good festival. I think I saw Toots play it the following year.
March 29, 2016 12:36AM
SNWMF 1993* mid/late afternoon on Saturday. Im not sure who was playing or even recall who was on the line up that yr. (If any 1 has those 1st 3 yrs of line ups and who played at what times ~ would really appreciate it!) Not sure if it was that 1st yr (93*) maybe 94* but after slipping through 1 of the gates winking smiley and sitting on the slopped sides of the bowl under 1 of the willow trees (Marysville Venue) a band came on and started warming up playing the Pink Panther theme! Im pretty sure that was the moment I was hooked on Reggae Music for Life!

one love-juan love
(SAPO)
March 29, 2016 04:23AM
My first was Peter Tosh opening for the Rolling Stones...itI hit I felt no pain!! Mid 70"s

Dj Yogi

Yogi's Picnic Basket
Heard live and direct
Monday's 12:00 PM - 2:00PM
88.9 FM KUCI
Irvine,CA
Streaming on www.kuci.org
Tunein radio Radioflag and I Tunes
rootsandriddims.kuci.org

Please show your support helping to end youth homelesness.
[reggaeforareason.org]
March 29, 2016 06:29PM
Ziggy Marley and the Melody Makers 1988, March, Arcadia Theater, Dallas , Texas.
Killer Bees: various venues all over Texas Spring 1988

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
March 29, 2016 09:30PM
Mine was at the Luther Burbank center in Sonoma County, Michael Franti opening up for Ziggy Marley!

Also, Groundation back in the day in Rohnert Park, CA used to play shows playing Bob Marleys music before they released their own work. Groundation and Ziggy Marley along with Walt Waters and Saundra Torres are the reasons I am into reggae music today. Grateful for them and the influence they had on my life.

Then in 2006 I found Midnite as you all know. LOL
April 06, 2016 07:42PM
1988 - Ras Midas & the Bridge
SLC, UT

He came to talk to our High School world history class. Talked a lot about the herb.
April 09, 2016 11:16PM
YoGi
My first was Peter Tosh opening for the Rolling Stones...itI hit I felt no pain!! Mid 70"s

Was that Anaheim Stadium?
April 09, 2016 11:17PM
reggaefan
First was a Gregory Isaacs & Third World show [US Sunsplash tour] in which Dennis Brown was scheduled but did not show...

But around the same time, '85 or '86, seeing the Wailing Souls, all 4 in matching yellow suits, the only thing more memorable than those suits was the hard hard version of 'Kingdom Rise and Kingdom Fall' they did - the crowd went wild, that was some perfect Reggae music!

OT: Two other shows that will never leave my head cause they were so good - Ras Michael's first concert in LA after the LA riots [he really let LA have it that night] & Vernon Maytone at the Dub Club [Expanders backing him] last year. Coco Tea's performance at Papa Curly's Seabreeze Festival two or so years ago is a close third, brilliant tempo and choice of songs by Coco.
I think that was '84... Great run with the Radix.
April 09, 2016 11:18PM
AJ

Wailers with Bob @ San Diego Civic in April 76 was mine...
April 09, 2016 11:20PM
Africa al
Johnny Rivers in 1967 I was ten,,,,, yea I am old!!!!
and the Heptones in 1971
then toots and johnny clarke
then everybody else
loved my first Sun Ra concert too the best -but not reggae
and the Syncro system tour w/King Sunny Ade was the most amazing show .damm near ever and KSA is not dead ether!

Secret Agent Man!!!! Heptones in '71 must have been incredible... Historical!!
AJ
April 10, 2016 03:52PM
dubgroove
AJ

Wailers with Bob @ San Diego Civic in April 76 was mine...
thumbs up

I can't believe this thread came back after eight years.......smileys with beer
April 10, 2016 08:29PM
My first reggae concert attended is one of the following:

--seeing Dennis Brown open for Peter Tosh in the Bay Area, perhaps the Berkeley Auditorium???

--Toots opening for Santana in SF, at the Winterland? The anonymous chants from various audience members fascinated me.

EE

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2016 08:41PM by eericson.
April 17, 2016 08:00AM
Burning Spear
Old Town Bar & Grill
Eureka, ca
1987 or 88
Percussionist gave me his drum stick, still have it!!
April 22, 2016 06:12PM
Rod and The Ideals at Mateel in like 1992... opened for Steel Pulse.
April 25, 2016 04:06PM
Ninja, Rod Deal and the Ideals are the original band that wrote smoke two joints and helicopters correct? So Humboldt native band?
AJ
April 25, 2016 05:26PM
Pale Ryder
Ninja, Rod Deal and the Ideals are the original band that wrote smoke two joints and helicopters correct? So Humboldt native band?
I believe "smoke two joints" was by a Hawaiian band called the "Toys."
I think I still have the 45'......somewhere in a record box.
April 25, 2016 05:32PM
But Helicopters IS a Rod tune.....

April 25, 2016 08:27PM
AJ
Pale Ryder
I believe "smoke two joints" was by a Hawaiian band called the "Toys."
I think I still have the 45'......somewhere in a record box.

"Smoke Two Joints" was first released as a 45" by Mawg and his brother. Both were living in Hawaii at the time. Mawg eventually formed the band called "The Toyes" and was based out of Cali last I knew.
April 25, 2016 08:59PM
to be honest I am not sure.. similar to Bun.. I had NO idea what was going on. I came from Beaverton Oregon and was set down in Northern Mendo to bear witness. It was mind altering for sure. At that point the only shows I had seen were Public Enemy (Afros opening) that was dope and then I saw Arrested Development with this band Mi Phi Mi opening for them.. Both shows were great but the Rod shows was one of a kind
May 10, 2016 10:03AM
Israel Vibration @ Palookaville Santa Cruz 2000. Speaking of which, when did Santa Cruz lose the stony reggae vibe? It was every three days at Palookaville or Catalyst had an amazing show. Surf posse chilling hard, hot girls, good times, herb before it was normal. Now it's hipster @#$%&... Mustaches... Craft Beers... etc.. Ebb and flow I suppose...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2016 10:08AM by coastalnative.
May 12, 2016 05:17PM
First reggae show was Blue Riddim Band at the old Parody Hall 1985 +/-
Next was kansas City's first reggae festival with Ras Michael, Fela, Blue Riddim and others I can't remember at Volker Park 1989.
Since then I've gone to shows almost weekly.
Looking forward to another great SNWMF!
June 01, 2016 10:10PM
TOOTS & THE ORIGINAL MAYTALS, FULL 8 MEMBER BAND, MANHATTAN, 1977.
June 03, 2016 05:23AM
Hey hey hey!

Couldn't resist this thread...long time 'reader' of Phorum, but, I hardly ever post.

So, my first real Reggae show was seeing Lee Scratch Perry at the Fillmore in 97, but before that, I saw some of the most kick butt WORLD music earlier in my life

August 1989 saw ( yes! really! ) Fela Kuti and his most awesome band in East San Diego at a day show at Jackie Robinson YMCA
Babatunde Olatunji in 1985 play in San Diego
saw some great SKA back in the 80's too - Fishbone & English Beat

First SNWMF in 2000 at Marysville - blew my little mind & been going every year since then~!!!!
(# 17 in a row this year)
See ya' all there--look for us in Hendy Woods at same ol' spot w/ old Blu Chevy crew
Big Hugs LoriSue
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login