November 11, 2004 02:15PM
1 - Did Gussie Clarke produce 'ANYWHERE BUT NOWHERE' by K C WHITE
2 - Is Morris White aka K C White
3 - How many records did US label 'Soul Proff' issue / are they still going

Thanks
Gordon
Re: Anywhere But Nowhere
November 11, 2004 02:21PM
Hi Fitzroy, I think Soul Proff may be a reissue label, not 100% sure though.

"Anywhere But Nowhere" was produced by Vincent Chin and appeared on Winston Riley's Techniques label.

Don't know about the Morris White/K C White connection.

I assume you have his cut to "No No No" on Soul Proff? Heavy!

Respect

Gordon
3pan1
November 11, 2004 02:34PM
hoihoi Gordon,
Soul Proff was a late 70's label owned by H Thaxter from the Gaylads.

btw do you still want that Roy Panton tune 'Standing' ?

R o x
Fitzroy
November 11, 2004 02:39PM
Cheers Gordon!

There has been a lot of confusion over that one for a long time.
Morris White is credited on the Soul Proff as producer. A Trojan release (and some books) had Gussie.

Was it ever on Impact!?

I suppose there is no connection between this KC and the hitmaker of 'That's The Way I Like It' fame?

and yes yes yes, I do have 'No No No' !!!

Thanks again.
Ephteeay
November 11, 2004 02:47PM
from what i remember gussie has produced kc whites anywhere but nowhere.. and that same tune (the dub) is used on one of big youths tunes maybe on screaming target.. i cant remember for sure...
Gordon
November 11, 2004 02:51PM
Please Rox

I'm awaiting a reply from Penny about some earlier Roy Panton sides but there's no rush I guess. It'd just be nice if we can band together and help out one of the foundation singers to hear his old tunes again.

I'll give my e-mail address to Ron to pass on to you.

Respect

Gordon
3pan1
November 11, 2004 02:56PM
c@@l !
Gordon
November 11, 2004 02:57PM
RKR has it as produced by Vincent Chin on Techniques and the same Techniques cut also appears on Jah Shaka's latest auction list.

It's on Impact too yes, this was the pressing for the US market. Enthucol on EBay had one recently.

Respect

Gordon
Dave Home
November 11, 2004 04:43PM
Greetings Gordon - I hope all is well.
'Anywhere but Nowhere' was originally released in JA around '72 on the Soul Proff label, which I think was KC White's own label. Presumably Gussie Clarke bought the track from KC White. It was such a nice rhythm that Gussie released quite a few versions.

Novice
November 11, 2004 04:50PM
According to tapir's site, Morris White and KC White are one and the same, Fitzroy.

See excerpt below -

[www.xs4all.nl]

ZZLP 026 K.C. White - Try A Little Happiness
Tracks: Can't Get Nowhere / Anywhere But Nowhere / Slipping And Sliding / Jah Is Coming / Anything You Want // I Won't Cry / You Can't Be Happy / Now I Know Love Is A Hurting Thing / Try A Lttle Happiness / Cool It
Produced by Morris (K.C.) White, Kenoris White and Marsha White
Recorded at Channel One & Harry J Studio, Kingston, Jamaica, W.I. and Right Track Studio, N.Y.
Engineers: Bunny Tom Tom, Soljie, Maxie, Sylvan Morris, Josh (N.Y.)
Musicians: All Kinda Heavies

Novice

TR-808
November 11, 2004 04:54PM

this label was used by a few different producers over a few years

i have KC's "First Cut is the Deepest" and the Gaylads "If You Don't Mind" which are in the same sort of neighborhood stylistically i guess, but are not as homogenious in style or sound as some other labels that were strictly controlled by one producer.

both are nice, early/rootsy reggae. wouldn't refer to either as "hard", but both are tough still if that makes sense. overall i rate both tunes pretty highly.
Gordon
November 11, 2004 05:04PM
Thanks Dave

RKR actually lists the Techniques label issue as the UK issue, time for glasses methinks! It doesn't list a JA issue, it's one of the tunes that has "slipped the net". The biggest respect still to Mike and Robert for one hell of an effort, I take my hat off to them for managing to catalogue around 75% of tunes.

Respect

Gordon
Gordon
November 11, 2004 05:07PM
I have "First Cut Is The Deepest" on a US Clocktower press, it's one of my favourite early 70s vocals and the Tubby's dub is tuff.

Respect

Gordon
1 Dub Lane
November 11, 2004 06:39PM
What a rhythm - pure classic! I'd love to hear more versions of it but only know of 4 others and they are all from BIG YOUTH himself.

CHILDREN CHILDREN
MR BUDDY
LEE A LOW
SOLOMON A GUNDY

there must be others.............

JUGZ, thanks for the pointers to here.
November 11, 2004 07:02PM
It seems that B&F scandal has brought a sudden influx of knowledge to this board. Refreshing to some discussion of reggae going on here. Glad to have the refugees.
International Reggae Board Scandals... classic!

-MK
Leif Dickdock
Re: Road To Nowhere
November 11, 2004 07:11PM
Indeed! I'll give it a couple of weeks at most before we start fighting amongst ourselves again though!

:^)

November 11, 2004 07:23PM
Perhaps some of you B&F crew can answer this question for me:

Whats up with Jah Thomas? Still Around? Recording? Performing?

The most recent 45 I've found is "Discover London City", which sounds very recent. Any knowledge appreciated. Respect, MK
Leif Dickdock
November 11, 2004 07:29PM
Hmm... that'll be the Jah Thomas Corner (subsection: Recent Recording) section of the B&F posse you require. I don't think any of them are signed on at the moment

1 Dub Lane
November 11, 2004 08:31PM
Current Trojan LP from The Chosen Few 'In Miami' notes -
"....utilising disco funk masters K C White & The Sunshine Band mostly on backing duties.... can't be two K C White on reggae recordings, can there?
Fish
November 11, 2004 09:08PM
TrinityMLK: he's still around. He seems to be involved in the recent revival of the Silver Kamel label - in addition to reissues of some of his vintage material, the label has released new productions of his, including an instrumental album ("Liquid Brass," or at least I think it's new), an album from some guy called Nemo, and a few songs by dancehall artists on a rhythm called "West Won." He's also putting out stuff on his Midnight Rock label, both vintage material and recordings by new artists, often over old rhythms. Not working with big names - one tune by Capleton, the best known of the rest are Daville, Danny English, and Eggnog. I haven't listened to much of it, but a deejay cut by some guy named "King Rolex" over the original Gunshot rhythm is wicked . . . I would check for updates of vintage rhythms before buying the new rhythms, though . . . you can listen to some sound samples at www.silverkamel.com if you want.
November 11, 2004 09:17PM
Sight!

Thanks for the knowledge. I have almost all the classic LPs, and a lot of Midnight Rock 45's, and the aforementioned Silver Kamel title.
King Rolex is tough "Haffe get a draw indeeeed."
Any one heard of Nkruma touching the mic live recently? -MK
prajna
November 11, 2004 09:29PM
this track could be the theme song for us baffers, wandering the www, while we await the new b&f board.
Fish
November 11, 2004 10:00PM
I haven't heard of recent live shows by him. He didn't seem to be too heavily into the live thing even in the past . . . Jah Thomas performances tend to be a rare find on soundtapes, at least in the 80s (maybe in the late 70s, before he became heavily involved in producing, he performed on sounds more often). But then again, I don't search too hard for his performances, because I personally think he is much more talented as a producer than as a deejay . . .
November 11, 2004 10:15PM
Fish,
Could you sight up some specific clashes to look for.
I have a Volcano vs. 'Jaro '84 that Jah Thomas promoted, and he comes out for a second to send a "special request to each and everyone" but no toasting. I am big fan of his toasting style, and the pieces he wrote for others like Triston P. are often their strongest tunes (in my opinion). Respect, MK
Gordon
November 11, 2004 10:18PM
He's alongside Danny Dread(still confused by the way, but I think the DJ is the guy they mention from Black Star etc..) on the Black Zodiac session I have in Waltham Town 1983.

Respect

Gordon
1 Dub Lane
November 11, 2004 10:32PM
On Jah Thomas -
A question about the B side 7" repress of Anthony Johnson's 'GUN SHOT'.
It's an unrelated rhythm and not titled but it might be - 'Turning Down Sound A Crazy' - any ideas on the vocals?
Fish
November 11, 2004 10:57PM
These are the tapes I've heard him on, none are clashes:

Gemini 1984 in New York: Burro Banton, Early B, Shinehead, Alton Irie, Dickie Ranking, Squiddly Ranking, Peter Metro, Jah Thomas, Colorman, Papa Dimes, Shelly Thunder, Louie Lepke.

Prince Jammy's 1981: Nicodemus, Jah Thomas, and Toyan. Selector: Danny Dread.

Metromedia 1986 Jonestown: Cutty Ranks, Barrington Levy, Don Angelo, Daddy Freddy, Lady Ann, Peter Metro, Tanto Metro, Nicodemus, Junior Demus, Joe Lickshot, Jah Thomas, Mellow Tuffie, Welton Irie, Danny Dread, Leroy the Hornsman, others.

His appearances on all of these are fairly short, especially the Jammys, but he does toast as well as announce . . . out of these, I would keep an eye out for the Metro above the others, some wicked Barrington Levy performances on there.
Fitzroy
November 12, 2004 11:56AM
Yes prajna, that's the way I like it too!!
& K C White did not disappear but with His Sunshine Band went on to sell millions!
November 12, 2004 08:32PM
Anywhere But Nowhere for the snwmf crew: [www.dancecrasher.co.uk]
And the UK Techniques issue (ignore the production credits!)http://www.dancecrasher.co.uk/temp/anywhere-but-nowhere.jpg

BMC
Sorry
November 12, 2004 09:47PM
Just testing:

BMC
November 12, 2004 09:47PM
Cool, it works! :-)
solid rock
November 12, 2004 09:52PM

nice, thanks guys

good to see you tim
Fitzroy
November 13, 2004 11:41PM
"Anywhere But Nowhere" - 7" REVIVE OF THE WEEK" round here.
Thanks to one and all for the all info.
solid rock
November 29, 2004 07:24PM

> KC's "First Cut is the Deepest"

i'd thought i had this on Soul Proff, but came across it this weekend. it's actually on the Carribean Sounds label, b/w "No Good Girl", with production credits for each going to J. Reid
November 30, 2004 06:01AM
we currently show two listings:
White, K C Anywhere But Nowhere Soul Proff pre FKCW 7423 KCWhite
White, K C Anywhere But Nowhere Techniques TE 929-A Impact VC 9123 Vincent Chin

However, it's divided merely because of the production credit on the US pressing to Vincent Chin. Obviously the JA matrix points to KC White as the original producer. If we, or someone, had access to the various issues, we could then say definitively how many actual versions of the song are, and if they were all the same we could condense everything to one line, with KC WHite listed as producer.

As you can see in this example considerable confusion arises when a different guy claims credit on UK or US release merely because they struck some kind of distribution deal. From the label scan above it looks like Lloyd Coxsone also claimed production credit. Not unusual for him; or the Chin family.

As far as deejay versions of this great tune we show five:

Big Youth Children Children Negusa Negast MB 1750-A
Big Youth Mr. Buddy Negusa Negast MB 1750-B
I Roy Presenting I Roy Puppy G&PRec 0017-B
I Roy Rival Warfare Puppy G&PRec 0018-A
I Roy Sudden Flight Puppy G&PRec 0017-A

The tune was written by Gene Chandler appearing originally as:
GENE CHANDLER & B ACKLIN : ANYWHERE BUT NOWHERE ( BRUNSWICK 55387 )

Chandler wrote other tunes beloved & much covered in Jamaica such as 'Groovy Situation" and 'After The Laughter'; as well of course 'Duke Of Earl'
Jackie Pablo
November 30, 2004 12:24PM
The matrix numbers on the Soul Proff repress:

Anywhere But Nowhere - 001 A
Version - 001 B

The other record repressed at the same time by Soul Proff was KC White's

No, No, No - 002 A
Version - 002 B
Dave Home
November 30, 2004 06:00PM
Mike - all the following releases of 'Anywhere but Nowhere' are the same ;
JA Soul Proff, NY Impact, UK Techniques and the more recent US Soul Proff.
I think a production credit of KC White would be accurate. Why the UK release credited Lloyd Coxsone with production is a bit of a mystery. As mentioned before maybe Gussie bought the tune from KC White and then passed it on to Lloyd Coxsone for release in the UK ? At the time Lloyd Coxsone and Gussie seemed to have a close connection.
btw the credit on 'Presenting I Roy' is to The Simplicity People. It's the version to 'Sudden Flight' and although it does feature the intro from I Roy the rest of the track is drum and bass.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login