Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

record reviews

Posted by dirtweed 
record reviews
November 12, 2004 12:08AM
this info was on the dearly departed B&F board and now i don't have a chance to go back and research it. "aquarius rock" "jah batta" "auralux showcase" "bitty mclean" "african brothers". whats the good word on these? thanx.
prajna
Re: record reviews
November 12, 2004 12:22AM
havn't heard it, but the bitty set was greeted with universal acclaim.
Gordon
November 12, 2004 12:28AM
Dirtweed, the Bitty McLean is the second best album of the year. Do not hesitate in buying it. Classy vocals laid over old Treasure Isle riddims.

If Jah Batta is "Argument" then this is also a mighty fine album, 80s dancehall vibes meets the dense, heavy Wackies sound head on, another one to add to your cart.

Aquarius Rock looks essential also, but I don't have it yet. Auralux Showcase is a sampler for the label and the African Brothers release I'm not aware of.

For the record, album of the year is the Jackie Mittoo "Improvisations And Interpretations" Tribute on VP.

Respect

Gordon
November 12, 2004 12:37AM
"the Bitty McLean is the second best album of the year."

Which one is the best, Gord?

One love,

Rootz
prajna
November 12, 2004 12:39AM
>For the record, album of the year is the Jackie Mittoo "Improvisations And Interpretations" Tribute on VP.

Respect

Gordon
November 12, 2004 12:39AM
jackie mittoo?? i have a jackie mittoo (instrumental only) and i can only play 15-20 of it at a time (too much organ for little old me). is the tribute vocals?
November 12, 2004 12:44AM
No, not vocals, but it is truly outstanding, DW. seriously. I am not a dub/verson/instrumental only kinda guy either, but that album is tops.
Gordon
November 12, 2004 12:47AM
It is indeed.

It was nice briefly knowing you guys, well the ones who like to talk music anyway.

Respect

Gordon
November 12, 2004 12:48AM
what does that mean gordon? are you leaving?
November 12, 2004 12:52AM
Im not going to try and stop you, but I might suggest not to be concerned over and jabs. You are welcome here. I like conflicting views.
November 12, 2004 01:19AM
That Jackie Mittoo tribute album is top notch! But I do love reggae instrumentals!
Dadi Digi
November 23, 2004 02:51PM
The Jackie wouldn't be my number 1 but it is a fine offering all the same. The cut of Drumsong is especially good imo.
November 23, 2004 04:22PM
The Bitty and Aquarius Rock are both smashing - essential stuff for all fans of rocksteady revival and Augustus Pablo-type noodlings respectively. I've got the Jah Batta on a CDR and it's the sort of fairly tedious early 80s DJ ramblings that I listen to once and never ever again, although it does seem popular among some people.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login