solid rock
Re: Just Added: Downbeat The Ruler
March 12, 2004 09:27PM

thanks SNWMF

another historic event next to last years mighty 'Gav performance
JUAN LOVE
March 13, 2004 01:48AM
any ideas on who might be toastnig alongside downbeat the ruler????-one love-juan love
March 13, 2004 09:43AM
-interesting hold in place+
TR-808
March 17, 2004 04:49PM

one of the top sound systems in the world...

audio clip of Dowbeat the Ruler

[ghettoroots.com]

(need windows media player)

more info:

[www.snwmf.com]
March 17, 2004 05:41PM
thanks For that!! this sounds great. look for to them already!

blessed,

Michael
March 17, 2004 07:40PM
-BIG SHOW+ this is a LARGE test for downbeat. as a american roots soundsystem this is probley dar BIGGEST show ever. will most diffentley be checking in on dar sound set up & early skills forsure. now dat iNi have some old timer rock shots. how about some new steppers for the dance vibes. nuff drum & bass wize*
TR-808
March 17, 2004 07:52PM

> this is probley dar BIGGEST show ever

??

not even close.. been doing it for 30 years, all over the world.
March 17, 2004 07:57PM
know they been around long time but were their ever a show as BIG as this in the record books for dem? hard to tink so.......
March 17, 2004 11:46PM
Many clashes before, that probably meant more, very respected in Jamaica with a HUGE dub box. No offense, but I really doubt if it's their biggest show yet, think of all the dances they've played in NY alone. If you love Studio One (I do!) then don't miss them Friday night. Specials to be heard!

One love
eric v
TR-808
March 18, 2004 12:08AM

YES ERIC V, TELL THEM ABOUT IT!!!

FRIENDS, LET ME TELL YOU THAT THIS IS ONE OF THE *TOP* SOUNDS IN THE WORLD. SNWMF IS BRINGING US THE TOP-A-TOP CREAM OF THE CROP!!!

HERE'S JUST A TOUCH OF DOWNBEAT HISTORY (FROM ABOUT 5 MINUTES ONLINE) TAKEN FROM DANCEHALL TAPE DESCRIPTIONS:

KING JAMMYS VS DOWNBEAT (NY) 1985
This is the historical clash when Papa Jammys and King Jammys Sound meets Goldfinger Tony Screw and Downbeat for the first time in NYC. The entire Jammys crew come dressed in Ninja Suits as if they were in a karate movie, ready to assassinate Downbeat's deejays!! In King Jammys' Camp is Chaka Demus, Tonto Irie, John Wayne, Lone Ranger, and more. Downbeat counter attacks w/ deejays like Santa Ranking, Danny Dread, Howie Banton, Papa San, Flatty Ranks, Horace Andy, Mikey Jarrett, etc.. A must have for serious collectors! (Quality Fair But Must Have!)

THE CROWNING OF DOWNBEAT (Bronx) 1988
This dance make history in New York. All the celebrities were there, including Professor Nuts, Colin Roach, Shabba Ranks, Anthony Malvo, Wolfman, and the list goes on. Classic selector Tony Screw juggles, then the crew performs live! This one bring back memories of how dance in NY use to be...

GIL BAILEY RADIO SHOW'S 19th ANNIV (NYC) 1988
The Godfather of Reggae Radio in NYC, Gil Bailey, celebrates his 19th anniversary and Downbeat the Ruler w/ selector Tony Screw is on hand to help him celebrate. Also in the house is Shabba Ranks (in the prime of his career), Little Twitch, Admiral Bailey, and Junie Ranks

"World Clash 1998" 10-30-98 (NY)
The first Irish & Chin promoted World Clash ever went down at Club Amazura in Queens. It was a foundation warfare with 3 of the wickedest sounds in the world. On the bill wwere Killamanjaro with Ricky Trooper at the controls representing Jamaica, Tony Screw and his Downbeat sound came to defend the USA and the everlasting Coxsone came all the way from England. Foundation dubs ruled Amazura and all sounds came loaded going from the 60's to the 90's. They went 1/2 hour fi 1/2 hour, 15 fi 15 and dub fi dub. Jaro was always in the lead playing exactly what the crowd wanted to hear. In the end the highest mountain was on top becoming the international World Clash Champion for 1998. A must have for any serious collector. Also available on video.

DOWNBEAT - TONY SCREW B-DAY BASH (BRONX) Feb. 2002
When a king is born it must be celebrated, and such was the consensus as Tony Screw from Downbeat The Ruler celebratesd his birth strong bash at Cris' Place in Bronx, New York. Music was provided by an array of both veteran and new sounds, including Downbeat, Stone Love, Steelie Bashment, and Bronx's own Blunt Posse! Of course no event featuring The Ruler would be complete without a few foundation artists passing through and showing their respects, including Brigadier Jerry, Josey Wales, Rankin Joe, Junior Demus, Daddy Blue, Reverend Madoo, Sammy Dread, Neville Valentine, Captain Devon, and more!! Tape ends w/ Stur Gav dance.
[www.musicfreakcentral.com]

*SHOWDOWN DOWNTOWN (BKLYN) April 2002
The year's biggest foundation clash thus far takes place in Club Warehouse in Brooklyn, New York!!!! Downbeat, Saxon, Killamanjaro, and Bodyguard meet up for a musical showcase of big tunes!! Each sound seems evenly matched. Downbeat with Tony Screw at the control is New York City's ruling foundation sound, a title they have never given up. Screw has one of the most exclusive dub box in the business - a combination of hardcore dubs as well as exclusive 45s you can't find anywhere - and always seems to keep up to date on the big tunes of the day (Beres, etc). Saxon has long been England's forerunner when it comes to the line of foundation tunes. Their box is easily one of the deepest in the business, and they are no stranger to Nitty Gritty or Tenor Saw, which they have a habit of unleashing when you least expect it! Killamanjaro has been killing sounds for years with foundation dubs cut by Jeremy Lee, Mr. Harper, etc, and their Tenor Saws and Nitty Grittys world renown! Bodyguard has long been a force to be reckoned with, and has boasted some of the biggest tunes in the business, including the Jimmy Cliff exclusive, "Many Rivers to Cross". Imagine these four foundation power houses going at it in a gruelsome 3 hour clash that culminates in a 4-way Dub Fi Dub!!! Some sound bwoys get taken to shool inna dis one!! A History Dance and A Must Have!!!
[www.musicfreakcentral.com]

DENNIS BROWN MEMORIAL (BRONX) June 2002
To celebrate the life of the Crowned Prince of Reggae, Dennis Emmanuel Brown - New York's premiere foundation sound Downbeat teams up with one of the godfathers of sound systems in Jamaica - Black Scorpio - for a showcase of big tunes at the Elegant Palance in the Bronx, New York City!! Needless to say foundation is the order of the day as Downbeat's Tony Screw drops exclusive after exclusive that nuff sounds today will acknowledge is hard to find!! Black Scorpio steps in and shows the people why he was one of the top 10 sounds of the 80s era!! Veteran selector Danny Dread also selects on Downbeat! AMust Have for all Foundation sound lovers!

HISTORY -TOGETHER AGAIN - December 2002
You shouldn't be surprised that the event was replicated - this time in Harlem!!! Nice & Spicy in association with Downbeat Promotions brought the veterans together once again to the National Black Theater in Harlem, Manhattan, New York City, and needless to say it was a wicked foundation affair!!! With Downbeat the Ruler headed by veteran Rub-A-Dub master Tony Screw throwing down some wicked Studio One and foundation tunes for the massive, that would have been enough, but they didn't stop there!! Instead they unleashed on stage the likes of Brigadier Jerry, Josey Wales, Rankin Joe, Junior Demus, Johnny Osbourne, Sammy Dread, Don Angelo, Pad Anthony, plus Colonel Jolly Joseph, Mitchelous, Ronnie Ruff, and more...

"Downbeat ls. Supersonic" 11-21-03 (GER) Part 1-3
History went down in Berlin when Downbeat The Ruler with father Tony Screw himself graced the stage of Club Maria. Approximately 400 patrons came from near and far to witness the godfather of foundation music live and direct. Supersonic took care of the early warm. At about 2 am the Downbeat machine took over and Tony Screw was rinsing pure steel left right and centre. He draw for his infamous combos and the more the night proceeded the more exclusives got unleashed. Supersonic came back with a nice revive set in the middle and Tony pressed even more gas in his second round. He wanted to exit close to 5 am but his die hard fans never wanted him to leave so he dropped the lethal artillery in form of Lloyd Parks, The Manhattans and many more all exclusively for Downbeat. Definitely a timeless must have that should be in any serious collection. 3 cds or 2 tapes.

"Downbeat ls. Supersonic" 11-22-03 (CH) Part 1-3
The second leg of the Downbeat/Supersonic showcase tour took place at the Rote Fabrik in Zurich. The concept was basically the same as the night before except for a few more new tunes getting played. Panza selected for Tony again while he did entertain all patrons attending in his very own special way. Expect a truckload of foundation, some new cereal and positive vibes all through the night. The sets sounded much different than the night as Tony was digging deep in his bottomless archives, revealing nuff treasures not heard the night before like a string of well cut Dennis Brown dubs. Even if you have the Berlin part already you shouldn’t miss this one as the menu was way different. Supersonic plays in between nicing up the vibes with some lovely vintage 45s and few dubs. CD only!

--

THIS IS TRULY AN EVENT FOR CALIFORNIA... TRUST ME. IF YOU LOVE SOMEONE, MAKE SURE THEY KNOW: DOWNBEAT THE RULER IS COMING.
TR-808
March 18, 2004 12:09AM

AND DON'T FORGET: WITH THE NUMBER OF ARTISTS ALREADY ON-SITE FOR THE REST OF THE FEST, OUR FRIDAY NIGHT DANCE IS DESTINED TO BECOME LEGENDARY.. THE TAPES WILL BE TRADED FROM HERE TO TIME... AND YES MAN I WILL BE THERE
Stevo
March 18, 2004 12:16AM
Sounds like we're in for a very special session. I hope Downbeat is on the same page(for an extended long lasting set). I will be there for the whole a it. Do you know if they have to share Fri. with anyone else? I'm so excited for this, since San Francisco doesn't draw much Sound System action from elsewhere. SNWMF is really the only Nor Cal spot to hear sounds like Shaka, Stur Gav, Downbeat, and the rest of 'em.
Irie Ites-
Stevo
TR-808
March 18, 2004 12:17AM
TR-808
March 18, 2004 12:22AM

YES STEVO... YOU'VE GOT IT NOW

CHECK THIS LINK - SCROLL DOWN TO "D" FOR DOWNBEAT THE RULER (aka DOWNBEAT INTERNATIONAL)
[www.rayx.freeserve.co.uk]

LOOK AT THE ARTISTS WHO COME TO WORK WITH PAPA DOWNBEAT!!!!!!!!!!!
Stevo
March 18, 2004 12:56AM
Sight. Pretty much a who's who, of who matters. Any ideas for someone on the bill to come light up the mic. I noticed Horace Andy is no stranger to Downbeat.
I would be happy with anyone, but someone at least should come along side to compliment all the dubs. Thanks for the link.
-Stevo
Stevo
March 18, 2004 01:00AM
I am anxious to hear some D.Brown dubs or Nitty Gritty, and Tenor Saw. And any of those who aren't with us any more. Roman Stewart. RIP. These are pieces that will forever separate the men from the boys.
-Stevo
March 18, 2004 01:42AM
Friday will ROCK!!!!! I might have to jump on the mike....! Get up with the Downbeat!
Peace, my freaky peeps!
AAA
March 18, 2004 04:22AM
-still BIGGEST show but you dont have to trust i* this will be your finding since many dont want to hear a tell it & dats fine cause soundclash's, hometown rallys, & island RASpect are important also by far. no question dar but 2004'z best summer reggae festival is a whole new page for the living legend to continue on >forward^ pozitive in dis crucial time where tingz B. JAH KNO* >1LUV*+*+*+*+*+*+*+
March 19, 2004 04:14AM
Massive!!!!!!!
March 19, 2004 08:29AM
I am the biggest Downbeat & Tony Screw fan in Cali, believe that! Never thought I'd see the day they made it out here. Now all I need is a ride up there from Oakland.

From the first drop of Half Pint "Played by Downbeat alone/From the New York area"....airhorn, wheel, sound dead, come in Brigi...
March 19, 2004 08:31AM
PS, ANYONE WHO WISHES TO TRADE DOWNBEAT TAPES EMAIL ME:

the_natural2002@yahoo.com

(sorry for the caps, I just can contain my excitement)
March 19, 2004 08:51AM
MORE DOWNBEAT HISTORY

damn, get me started now...

That was a nice list you put up of dances, whoever you are. DOWNBEAT sound was started by selector Tony Screw in 1973-4 in Bronx NY. He named it after, of course, Sir Llyod "Downbeat" COxsone who ran Studio One.
To this day, 30 years later, Downbeat is the ONLY major sound system to record its dubplates on the ORIGINAL riddim versions from Studio 1, Treasure Isle etc. They will play a Sizzla or Beres on the same riddim version of "You SHould Have Known" recorded by Coxsone for Joe Riley's tune, not the souped up 2004 version of the riddim every other sound will play.
Trust me EVERYONE should find a copy of that SHOWDOWN DOWNTOWN 2002 CD before June 18, it is merely a slice of Downbeat's deep foundation box but will hip you to what they are really about! Also any live artist dance recordings from the 80s are also a must.
Downbeat buss Shinehead's career, they buss Louie Rankin, Sister Carol, a whole heap a NY artist owe their career to Tony Screw.

Whoa gosh...I beg unu, please...anyone driving from/thru the Easy Bay can give a brother a ride for the Friday show....please! I will pay your gas, get you lit, whatever it takes (within reason)...many will back up me being a good humble youth who simply can't miss SNWMF this year.

Also, any promoters looking to put on a SF/Oakland Downbeat dance that same week? Club Dread perhaps?

Cornell Campbell "Coming from the North with with him face to the South/I'm quite sure Downbeat will knock you out/Him a the gorgon inna this here dance, him a The Gorgon"

Nat aka Chimino
the_natural2002@yahoo.com
TR-808
March 19, 2004 04:34PM

nice one Chimino

i think people who love reggae are just coming to know and understand this...

like i said, if you love someone, make sure they know Downbeat is coming
March 19, 2004 09:03PM

new picture up

[www.snwmf.com]
March 20, 2004 06:12AM
Here's a dance from the 80s with live artist:

DOWNBEAT 1983 (NEW YORK) - w/ Nicodemus, Lone Ranger, Welton Irie, Johnny Ringo, Shelly Thunder and more...
[www3.audiomaxxx.com]
[www3.audiomaxxx.com]

DOWNBEAT VS KATAROCK (dub-fi-dub with Katarock sound) 2000 JAMAICA
[www.dancehall-tapes.de]
March 21, 2004 05:15AM
March 21, 2004 07:55PM
-nice links i*ya+ nice lill' history lesson here for the people burning. interesting piont to see is how from early 80's to the early 90's that decade was a landmark twist in the dancehall scene. pretty much spreading high & lowz for the judgement. seemed to be kool & nice as day turns more bitter when nite gets cold as ice. good thing session @ snwmf it is all about the juggle not to burst anyones bubble but dis soundclash bizz only leeds trouble all though it may be fun for many to hear fear in the soundboy chest not to sure if todays clashers are anything past a studio one dubplate special as most dont seem to play much roots reggae @all. most just ragga hip-hop whether concious or not dats nah message here. chat about dis n' dat every other break & done with the riddim. can run it with mix? or just bla bla bla my sound, your sound! RASpect Tony everytime for no american selector is packing box inna roots style like this i*ya! give the glory tell the story. let the green grass grow as heavyweight dub is passing through soon to conquir dis age'in art form with a boom. more dance less hall ! >forward^
March 21, 2004 09:21PM
Yeah, thanks for the preview! Nice Sessions!
TR-808
March 24, 2004 06:53PM

listening to the soundclips again...
TR-808
April 02, 2004 07:22PM

Author: TR-808 (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: 03-24-04 13:53

listening to the soundclips again...

--

(and again...)
flip
April 02, 2004 07:27PM
that Linval sound clip is awesome. listening to him sing, it sounds like over a phone line got me so stoked for the fest.

don't miss his show..
yep
April 20, 2004 05:16PM

yep
April 20, 2004 05:42PM
-almost+ time to unleash sum guests for screw. JAH*
yep
April 20, 2004 06:11PM

i believe most of the guests in the session will be people already on the bill for stageshows
April 20, 2004 06:44PM
-i* find that hard to beleive but kool if just any part of it is true+
yep
April 20, 2004 06:55PM

well jahmeek you shouldn't find it hard to believe.. but then again i don't think i know what color the sky is in your world.

i'd say we could see

horace andy
don carlos
alton ellis

and probably more
April 20, 2004 07:03PM
all great artists dat could blaze a few riddimz for the pozitive side. but this would be just hope in reguardz to dem all have a stage show ready im pretty sure. so anywayz thompson is only one not on your list datz even supposse to play friday & would expect a stage show for him aswell. but when downbeat playz anyone standing around gets passed to mic if dem jamaican flavor. so surprises are a must! but rumerz here of livingston but not much else but requests so far. peace*
yep
April 20, 2004 08:13PM

oops

> i'd say we could see

> horace andy
> don carlos
> alton ellis

> and probably more

linval thompson
April 20, 2004 11:07PM
No, none of those artists listed are rub-a-dub artists. If anyone will be performing over Downbeat sound, it will be an artist not already on the bill.
Bless
yep
April 20, 2004 11:21PM

trust me Chimino

possibly excepting Alton, they've all worked with Downbeat before. Horace Andy has worked with Downbeat extensively... but none are strangers to the dance.

and what do you mean "none of those artists listed are rub-a-dub artists." ?

are you kidding?

peace
April 20, 2004 11:32PM
My mistake... you are correct, Horace Andy is the exception. I know Don worked on a couple sounds (Volcano comes to mind) years ago, but cannot picture him doing so in this age. Alton Ellis, no way.
I still can't picture a rub-a-dub performance without a single DJ...if Horace or another singer does come on the sound I would expect Mr Screw would at least bring out a locak DJ like Shinehead or Louie Rankin.
jb welda
April 20, 2004 11:58PM
im thinking downbeat might be able to find some studio one riddim plates for alton ellis to voice over. so, yes way. rub a dub aint the only game in town.

one love
jah bill
Fish
April 21, 2004 02:35AM
Horace Andy performed on sounds in the 70s and 80s and has continued to do soundsystem shows up to today - earlier this year or sometime last year he did a show with the Blood and Fire soundsystem. I don't know whether extra money or something will need to be involved, but I certainly doubt that he'll object to performing on a sound in principle. Don Carlos used to perform on Stur Gav, but I haven't seen tapes of him performing on sounds in recent years - but that may be as much a question of low audience demand for him to do soundsystem-style shows as it is his own personal preference, I really don't know. As for Alton, a few weeks ago I received a tape of him performing at a show put on by Aces Hi-Fi in England in 1983, alongside Little John, Billy Boyo, Toyan, Michael Prophet, Ranking Trevor, etc. It was admittedly with a live band - I'm still hunting for a tape of him doing an actual soundsystem performance - but it shows that at least back then, he was willing to do a dancehall-style performance. I certainly hope that he'll be similarly inclined at SNWMF . . .

I do agree that it would be nice to have a DJ or two. Bringing Louie or Santa Ranking over would be wicked . . . another Downbeat deejay veteran, Brimstone, performs regularly at the Oasis in the East Bay. I don't consider him to be as good a deejay as the better-known Downbeat vets, though . . .
April 21, 2004 02:50AM
Thanks for the info, Mr Fish. I think Sister Carol, another original Downbeat DJ, would be nice also...and she's probably more recognizable by the SNWMF crowd.
April 21, 2004 08:05AM
Fish, I would luv to hear that tape, some of my faves!!
April 21, 2004 01:55PM

Fish and Chimino

yes it would be nice to hear those other deejays but i think that it will be Tony + 1 operator coming in. Brimstone is a possibility though.
April 21, 2004 04:13PM
Hahahehe Fish, I first heard of them on The Simpsons, it was so funny! hehe
They were all playing on some stage at a concert, and they were in the middle of a song when they smelled some grass burning, So they stoped playing and yelled out to the crowd (That better be madicinal marajuana, Dont make me come down there!)
it was so funny
April 21, 2004 04:27PM
"it smells like Auto's jacket"
Fish
April 21, 2004 06:26PM
I wasn't really expecting Downbeat to bring the crew along, Solid, it was just wishful thinking. But (being a deejay fan) I personally think having some sort of deejay there to liven up the proceedings would bring out the dancehall vibes and make the singers sound even wickeder . . . I'm convinced that Carlton Livingston in combination with Brimstone were about five times better than either of them would have been on their own, it just got a vibe flowing.

Chimino, Sister Carol was at SNWMF last year, and in fact deejayed a bit on Stur Gav. She probably would perform her original sound if she was at the festival for a stageshow performance, but I suspect that bringing her to SNWMF just to perform on Downbeat might cost more than it's worth . . .

Prince-Kali-Wolf, which artists appeared on the Simpsons?
Acacia
April 21, 2004 09:08PM
I think he was talking about Phish.
April 22, 2004 04:48AM
-fishbone+
April 22, 2004 04:32PM
Well The Simpsons was one of my fave Television Cartoons ever, Many many artists have had guest apperences on The Simpsons,
Fish - or Phish,
Arrowsmith,
The who,
U2,
Smashing pumpkins,
Soso many I can't name the half of um.
!!Peace!!
TR-808
April 22, 2004 04:34PM

or spell half of 'em
(sorry, couldn't help it.)

but really -- what's up with your tech-school, man?

what's gonna happen when you need to write a resume?
April 22, 2004 04:40PM
Matt Groening is a huge reggae fan, dontcha know. He grew up where I live. A lot of the charaters are street names around here. Flanders, Quimby etc.

Dr Hibbert is named after Toots.
April 22, 2004 04:51PM
Wow I didn't know that, Thats cool as hell,.
TR- what makes you think I need to do my Tech work inorder to fill out a resume?
Ive Found whats important to me in my life as of now, and its not theTech Academy. and its 1 of 3 academys in my school, not a whole school, and to type to you guys every day makes me alot more happier than to build the front of some web page that will never be put on the webs web.
and besides, I Don't think ill ever fill out a resume, As soon as im 18 im leaving this country!

Happy Trails
jb welda
April 22, 2004 04:54PM
pkw: hire the youth while they still know everything.

one love
jah bill
April 22, 2004 05:06PM
ah to be young again... head filled with ideas about not needing to fill out resumes, school is not important, leaving the country. by all means, leave the country, but once the money runs out and you have no rights or skills to make more, you will be filling out a resume when you get back and move in with your new girlfriend who has a job and an apt.
April 22, 2004 05:07PM
Hmm im afraid I don't know what you mean JB?
PS. I have to go now, Untill tomorrow
I Type ya then!
Peace

Happy Trails
April 22, 2004 05:18PM
PKW, it is good to dream and have ambitions to trod your own path in life.

It is good you know reggae early in life. I did not find it for several more years. Reggae is music of reality. and reality you must face.

These words gave me much needed solace at a point in my life when i was most unhappy with the world...

You do not have to agree with the system, but you have to play by their rules.
TR-808
April 22, 2004 05:26PM

yes sorry that was harsh but you seem like a good natured person so i was trying to shock you a little.

re: Simpsons yes he's a big reggae fan... Roger Steffens has the drawing-equivalent of dubplates from Matt Groening

SHOULD WE GET BACK TO DOWNBEAT THE RULER?

anyone listened to any of the soundclips lately?
Acacia
April 22, 2004 05:42PM
Yeah, the soundclips are great. Let's get back to the Simpsons. Dr. Hibbert is almost as cool as Toots.
flip
April 22, 2004 05:43PM
i wan to hear toots laugh like Dr Hibbert....AHHHHHHHHHHHHhehheheheheheheheehehehe
April 22, 2004 05:46PM
lets get back to pkw - all he has to do is post his resume on the message board - i am sure we all will correct it for him. and by the way - he did spell u2 right.
flip
April 22, 2004 06:51PM
what country are you fleeing too? moving or just travel?
Fish
April 22, 2004 08:41PM
PKW, just for the record, I'm no fan (or enemy) of the band Phish - I haven't really listened to their music at all.

And to act the part of a cranky old man and add a bit of advice - I'm also a student, maybe three or four years further down the education line, and I also didn't find my high school (or most of the people there) to be a particulary enjoyable environment. The thing is, all the social silliness that goes along with high school doesn't really matter anymore once you get to college - but putting some focus and effort into your studies in high school pays off. Big time. If you're at a tech-oriented school, I suggest you take advantage of it . . .
Acacia
April 22, 2004 09:11PM
If you have a few years of high school left, see if your school has an independent studies program. That would give you a lot more time and freedom to study what you want to on your own terms. You seem to be self-motivated and seeking knowledge. I enrolled in independent studies for my last year of high school and have always wished I had started sooner. Once you take out the social and institutional aspects of high school your mind opens up in a way you would never imagine. After high school, a lot of people experience a change in mentality regarding education and begin actively participating and enjoying learning new things of their own interest. If you can get yourself into a self-guided program connected to your school you might find that transformation happening sooner than it otherwise would. Look into it if it sounds like your thing.

On the same subject, there needs to be serious reform in the public education system in this country. Most high school students are unmotivated and uninterested in what they're learning in school. It's a damn shame that a lot of kids don't think school is worthwhile. If kids were able to have more control over their education from an early age in terms of choosing what they're interested in and studying subjects of their choice, things would move forward in a big way. As it is, most kids have to wait until college to choose what they want to learn about. That's way too late. What do you all think?
April 22, 2004 09:22PM
(sorry solid - offtrack again) acacia - very intelligent observations regarding high school. for a real "success story" see sacramento high school. was a public school and is now a charter school. grades are improving and the students seem to be more motivated since they do have more control. there was an article in the sacramento news&review recently if you are interested. these are "inner city" kids and its great to see that they can succeed.
April 22, 2004 09:28PM
I agree with the reform idea, not so sure about the independant studies...maybe you have the key with starting early.
I was in gifted and talented classes in the early years, but that just taught me how to manipulate the system to maximize my own lazy goals. never did a lick of work, and got to go on field trips that others were not invited to attend. I didnt learn much other than that I was different from everyone else. then, throughout later grade school, Jr high and finally hi school, I capitalized on my disinterest and knowledge of the system.
I was reinvited to the advanced acedemics my senior year because all of my test scores were so high and they needed someone who was smart and had bad grades for the academic decathlon. a perfect candidate. All I got out of that was that it was too late for me, and i never had to take the manditory athletics class, bucking the system once again.

I think people should stop looking to the system for education. It is the parents duty to manage their childrens education. but that is another can of worms... broken homes, parents who are uneducated, the almighty dollar that dictates the parents schedule... what a system.
flip
April 22, 2004 09:38PM
seems like every politricktion that has been elected or run for office promises education reform....seems like the same old sh*t to me.

personally i think that there needs to be more of a connection between employers and schools. that way students could be trained for actual jobs and fields that they are interested in and employers can get employees trained to do what they want. vocational training gets a bad name but it makes alot of sense to me especially for the "why am i learning this" crowd.

there need to be more options in general and more creativity.

the whole social structure needs to be blown up as well.

alot of the schools in my area aren't that appealling to look at. we should have nice landscaping, nice efficient buildings and trash shouldn't be blowing around everywhere....students can't build schools but they can maintain them. the high school near my house always has garbage blowing around. I know there are kids in detention - don't understand why they aren't out every day picking up trash, planting flowers, painting .....whatever -free labor.

i get irritated thinking about education reform...we always have money for more bombs and prisons. maybe we wouldn't have so many people in prison if our schools didn't look like prisons.

anyway....PKW if it's any consolation I hated high school. that whole stupid social scene is over as soon as the last bell rings.

oh wait...i just found out that GWB passed "No Child Left Behind" everything will be fine
Fish
April 22, 2004 09:41PM
"choosing what they're interested in and studying subjects of their choice, things would move forward in a big way"

I'm actually not sure I agree with that. I think some degree of choice is important, but at the same time, I think there are certain fundamentals of education that everybody should learn, even if they don't find them very enjoyable. Writing and math skills and a reasonably broad history and science education are really important, I think. The fact is, if you let kids choose for themselves what they want to learn, some of the "hard" topics will be avoided, and they won't get as broad an education as they would if there was a large required core cirriculum.
Basically, I think the decision about what information is most important for future citizens of the world to know should be left to adults who have spent some time in said world, rather than to kids who have not.
flip
April 22, 2004 09:44PM
bun in on point......PARENTS need to step up. I have some friends that are taking time out there busy schedule to raise their kids. it's a beautiful thing.

Hey MOM and DAD - Turn off the TV.
flip
April 22, 2004 09:48PM
favorite education tunes?

I-Roy- eduction
Mikey Dread?- everyone must have a proper education
Peter Tosh- You Can't Blame the Youth
April 22, 2004 10:05PM
Dont get me wrong, I do participate and take advantage of my edgucation, So my spelling could improve a tad. its my pc class I waste my time in. not my whole Academy- Thank you TR, I think you appalagized? but thank you all for the wize words.
PS- Ive heard no Phish either.
oh and by the way I Know nothing yet alone everything!

Happy Trails
Pale Ryder
April 22, 2004 10:21PM
"Remember they can help you too, for their future depends on you...
Dont teach them bout no fiction, stop telling them about Duppyman, yeah....
Teach them good culture, so they will grow up good people with ambition yeah...
Educate them......" Cornell Campbell
Acacia
April 22, 2004 10:51PM
I just mean that kids (early as elementary school) should be given the opportunity to learn about things that interest them. Even just to find out WHAT interests them. I do think there has to be a core curriculum that includes the basic things. I'm not in favor of kids being able to choose everything that they learn. Yes, the basics like reading, math & science are of value. You can't truly learn about other things without some knowledge of those. I'm talking about choices within and alongside the regular curriculum. What if 4th grade kids could choose to study, for example, Asian literature as opposed to the standard reading material? Elementary kids could be spending time in school every day learning about gardening, carpentry, or whatever else they were interested in. I don't think it's ever too early to start learning vocational skills or "advanced" academics. The main point is that if kids can realize early that learning is fun when you like what you're doing, they will be much more likely to value education later in life. Everyone has something that they are interested in and can put themselves into. Why wait so long to let them figure out what they really care about?

April 22, 2004 11:19PM
"education is the key to betterment in this modern life" warrior king.
April 22, 2004 11:38PM
"Teach the youths them how to live
Teach the youths them how to survive
hold your corner and save your life
and thats no jive" Barringoton Levy
April 23, 2004 12:35AM
On one positive note about education, when I was at Sonoma State they had a "History of Reggae Music" class, it was taught by Harrison from Groundation. It was the first class of it's kind in this countries college system. Not sure if he's still teaching it now. Does anyone know of any other schools that teach this class now, and if not any other "reform stylee" education courses?
April 23, 2004 03:54AM
NItty Gritty "Good morning teacher, long time we reach here"
jb welda
April 23, 2004 04:15PM
that would be a pretty interesting class forward, but would need a field trip to kingston to set the tone.

one love
jah bill
April 23, 2004 04:32PM
Wow, Good openions and Spoken thoughts, Acacia I agree we should be tought to find our intrests early in school, its too bad- My generation.
so Brain washed and minipulated by thier every day lifes, in home and out.
Turnin into abunch of gun toning wannabe gangstas., Thanks MTV.
It saddens me because I truly feel im the only one out of 400+ Kids at my school with any solid out look on life and more importantly Love, Ive had basic LIFE
realization young in my life and my own Philosophy's on life, love, death, and the cosmic energy that flows through everything on and in this grate planet!
I Wish thier where more of my kind so im not so alone, but I Overcome!
Rize up and look on.
PEACE AND LOVE
PKW

Happy Trails
April 23, 2004 04:36PM
they are there, they may not be who you think though. just keep it real and positive and your crew will find you too.
April 23, 2004 04:55PM
Thats what i tell myself and ya know, your right- you usualy are BunNcheese.
-Respect

Happy Trails
yep
April 23, 2004 04:59PM

> "History of Reggae Music" class was

> the first class of it's kind in this countries college system.

not at all. several on the east coast from years back.. in New York, Vermont, etc.

do a search for "rhetoric of reggae"
April 23, 2004 04:59PM
i recommend big bass speakers to call all a the massive.
April 24, 2004 12:33AM
Very interesting Yep, do you know when they started teaching these courses? They have been teaching at Sonoma for awhile now. The classes look really cool, a little different than the history of reggae music class as it was a music class and incorperated actual intrument playing. The classes you mentioned are under the speech catagory. It would be cool if one college taught both of these courses!!! Anyway thanks for the info, we need more of these style of class being taught. All you college kids that are on this board and majoring in history or music, big up and maybe you could start up more of these classes in the future.....
April 24, 2004 12:43AM
And since were on the education tip..............
Some quote on education and knowledge by Haile Selassie I -

"Life is full of trials and tribulations and man in his struggle to survive and guide his own destiny has to be prepared to meet its many challenges, particularly in our modern world. Education can harness man's immense potential and enable him to be better equipped in his life-long pursuit so that he can utilise his strength and intellect to the highest use. Mankind has benefited from this through the ages."

"Knowledge is a treasure that must be grasped and which none can confiscate, it is a diamond without price which prevents the breaking of heaven's decrees and preserves from the path to destruction. Knowledge allows you to inherit the Kingdom of Jah . . ."

"We know that the learning of the ages and the teachings of wise men who have lived throughout the history of the world must no longer be denied to large numbers of the population of the earth."

"Our efforts have not been directed solely to the education advancement of Ethiopians; We have, as well, not been unmindful that all of us must share in the responsibility for the education of all of our brothers and sisters."

"Humanity by nature is gifted to think freely, but in order that his free thought should lead him to the goal of liberty and Independence, his way of thinking must be shaped by the process of education. It is understood that the independence of mind created by education individually will have as a result the creation of an independently minded nation."

"It is the duty of everyone to strive for self-sufficiency by acquiring knowledge and experience. To live always in dependence upon the assistance of others not only prevents a people from attaining its ideal, but also deprives life of its true significance and achievement."
ForwardZion......................
April 24, 2004 12:54AM
now you did it! you cant chat about reggae & have meaning with selassie. im only kidding ofcourse because of key threadz in history here. but dis a very serious ting. children put down columbus & pick up selassie. say it with i* winston" christopher columbus is a damm blasted liar" bop bop bop!
solid rock
May 11, 2004 04:08PM

i've spoken to Tony Screw and can say that we should expect very big things on Friday night... x-amount of Studio 1 of course...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login