Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bur(r)o Banton

Posted by BMC 
BMC
Bur(r)o Banton
November 14, 2004 06:21AM
I'm currently listening to Burro's wicked album simply called (and credited to) Buro on CSA, produced by Junjo, early 80s. It is the only album from him that I know from that period. There aren't a lot of repress singles available from then either. The other stuff I heard from him was either live on soundtape or from the 90's when he started releasing tunes on a regular basis (and an album) on Massive B.

So now I was wondering, how much did he actually release? Do you know of other albums than this one? Any 'must-have' singles? Or was he quite under-recorded in those years?

Thanks for any info.
Gordon
Re: Bur(r)o Banton
November 14, 2004 07:05AM
He recorded an album for Massive B in the mid 90s, I think it was some of his old tunes recut over Bobby Konders' hip-hop/reggae riddims of the time.

Respect

Gordon
Reggaemusicstore
November 14, 2004 09:21AM
There was a killer steppers he tune he did circa 1988 which Jah Shaka used to play regularly, Shaka would always run it first without bass then draw it back & drop the B line in. I'm not positive what the title was, possibly "Praise Jah", maybe Russ D or someone else can help out with the title.....
mark b
November 14, 2004 09:32AM
Wasnt there a not very good (mid 90s)remix of that tune,praise jah?
russ d
November 14, 2004 09:40AM
it was `praise jah` steve and it came on a Stereo One 7".
Reggaemusicstore
November 14, 2004 09:44AM
Russ, good to see you on this board. A friend of mine at the time had an alternative version of Praise Jah on 12" which was on a different riddim & I used to argue with him that it wasn't the same as the Shaka cut, are you aware of this 12"? Also who produced the Stereo One cut? That's one of the few Shaka tunes from that era which I never got to pick up. Thanks, Steve
russ d
November 14, 2004 10:40AM
yes steve....can`t remember an alternative version to the tune, i never really checked Buru Banton much deeper than this one tune, the few others i`ve ever heard he seemed to chant many of the same set of lyrics over again.... i think all Stereo One productions are produced by Clifton Henry, rhythms by Steelie & Cleavie....my copy is labelled as a tune by one `Dub Riley - Botha`s Retreat` which has been marked over and a hand written `Praise Jah` inscribed, i`ve seen other copies with absolutely no titles, and others with the actual title and artist properly printed.

respx
Fish
November 14, 2004 10:46AM
I don't know of any LPs he released aside from the CSA and Massive B ones, and he didn't seem to release many singles, either. I think he was in a similar position as Briggy - he was a non-stop live performer, appearing as a regular on several different first-division sounds (Volcano, Killamanjaro, Gemini, Stur Mars). His reputation and influence stemmed from those live performances, not from his recorded output, and in truth the "Buro" LP sounds downright dull to me compared to a typical live session (but thanks anyways for sending me that, BMC) . . . he seems to have focused more on recording since the 90s, presumably because of the decline of live artists performing on sounds, and there have been some wicked tunes that have come out of that. His "Westmoreland Sensi Come From" over Massive B's cut of the Sick is one of my all-time favorite tunes, the lyrics and flow are incredible, and his cut of "Boom Wah Dis" on the Street Sweeper is a classic.
But if you're looking for 80s business, soundtapes are probably going to be the best resource in general . .

Russ - similar to RMS's question, but is the Stereo One label related to the Jamaican sound of the same name?
Fish
November 14, 2004 10:49AM
OK, missed your post - haven't heard of Clifton Henry, but some of the deejay regulars on the Stereo One sound were Lieutenant Stitchie, Wolfman, Ricky Stereo, and Daddy Blue, so if they also released tunes on the label it would suggest a connection . . .
BMC
November 14, 2004 12:59PM
Thanks for the info, people. I guess there's simply not so much 80s Burro around then. Gotta hear that Praise Jah tune one day!

His recent cut on the Rah Rah riddim on Massive B is very nice too. Always nice to hear a 'veteran' release wicked tunes until this day.
November 14, 2004 03:13PM
""Tek A Set" on the Cuss Cuss (MAssive cool smiley is a classic too. Fish is correct, he was mostly a sound DJ back then...never really one of my favorites to be honest.
November 14, 2004 08:55PM
>i* was most impressed with burro on his outspoken anti-coke head family values* -RASpects+
KeithM
November 15, 2004 08:18AM
Burro kills it on the heavenless riddim
BMC
November 15, 2004 03:19PM
Anyone familiar with this tune:

Burro Banton - MC Peggy (Midnight Rock - Answer riddim - 1982)
November 15, 2004 03:30PM
Not familiar with that one....is it still being sold on 7"?
BMC
November 15, 2004 03:31PM
Yep, Ernie B has it in stock at the moment (http://www.ebreggae.com)
November 15, 2004 03:38PM
Cool, I might pick it up with my next order....solid label, solid riddim, should be worth the $3
BMC
November 15, 2004 03:40PM
My thoughts exactly, but I thought let's ask if anyone knows. It's indeed a pretty save bet I would say.
BMC
November 15, 2004 03:52PM
Chimino, do you by any chance know some of the many 12 inches Ernie B has new in the blow-out 12" section? Many well known artists, but for me unknown tunes. Thanks.
November 15, 2004 04:04PM
Hmmm...

General Degree "Robin Hood" was a wicked late 90s DJ tune. "Woh Woh" was ok, nothing special. Same with the RedRose/Bounty combination. kinda lame.
Ninja "Send Them Come"...if memory serves right, was only an average Ninja tune. If you can find the Cobra of the same name, snatch it up...a definite classic.
Papa San "Maddy Maddy Cry" is a wicked lyrical tune from the early 90s. Vintage San.
Sanchez & Beenie "Refugee" was a reworking of that R&B hit from the same time by Mya (Call us superstars/that is what we are) with Beenie DJing. It must be dated by now.
Haven't heard that TError Fabulous, but the Louie Culture flip side is a definite keeper. "Foundation from Birth" on the Lecturer riddim.

Don't know any of the others, hope that helps.

bless
BMC
November 15, 2004 04:06PM
Cheers Chimino, it certainly does! Will add some of them to the list. Thanks.
reggaefan
November 15, 2004 05:55PM
Marc,

If you don't have it and you got an extra $2.99 - go for the Louie Culture 'Disguise'.
Not his most killer tune, but worth 3bones imo. I guess the Papa San flip is on the same riddim (although I don't know for sure).....

Ahhhhh, the mid 90's memories are comin' back now....I remember at least two other decent songs on the same riddim - General Degree's Smooth Operator and Preziden't Brown's Defend the Doe.

Now for the miracle, what's the 'origianal' riddim to this one? Oh well, struck out.
BMC
November 16, 2004 12:18AM
Thanks for the tip, John. Cheers!
Spleece
November 16, 2004 01:28AM

Burro Banton - MC Peggy (Midnight Rock - Answer riddim - 1982)

I've had this one a few years now: mine came from one love hp. It's a good tune. It came with these older tunes, and a bunch of newer voicings on the old riddim, like Danny English & such. Too bad the ANSWER riddim ALWAYS flopps in my neck of the woods. I think I must have over fourty 7" on the riddim...

PETER METRO - CALYPSO CALYPSO
BURRO BANTON - MC PEGGY
ANTHONY JOHNSON - SITTING IN THE PARK
SUPER CAT - WALK-A-TON

-spleece
Dadi Digi
November 16, 2004 03:07AM
Get the cuss cuss set on Massive B Marc if you aint got them already. Burros "Tek a set" on this riddim is powerful
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login