Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A few words about Peeny Reel

Posted by Daniel 
A few words about Peeny Reel
November 14, 2004 07:45AM
Apparently, Mr. Reel accesses the internet using a massive corporate ISP in which his IP changes on a daily basis. As a result, our ability to ban his IP address from this site only lasts for a day or so. This is why you may have observed his return from time to time.

I just wanted to let everyone know that it takes me all of about 30 seconds to delete all of his posts. This is really no big trouble for me. It is far more difficult for me to decide to actually ban someone (i hate the notion) than actually doing it or deleting posts.

To all the good people on the board, here are my words of advice: Don’t bother responding to any posts started by "The Man", because those posts (and all responses thereto) will just be deleted as soon as the are ‘observed’ by me.

And to Mr. Reel, I say you can keep your attempts at an ‘Adrionic Jihad’ going just as long as you like, for neither it, nor you, nor your childish actions will have any impact on me or this board. There is too much good and beauty in the world for me to dwell on the evil, and there is far too many good people (and posts) for us to be taken down by your antics.
tbone
Re: A few words about Peeny Reel
November 14, 2004 09:49AM
?????
Fang Sheng
November 14, 2004 09:51AM
When all the posts disappear, tbone!

:^)
Juha Vaahtera
November 14, 2004 09:55AM
When in Rome, you've got to do what the Romans do. If you don't want to do what the Romans do, don't go. I think that's still a good advice. And one that fits for me perfectly.

It's unbelievable that certain people can't respect the rules or think they can come in like they'd rule the place. I've always respected Penny Reel the man for his knowledge, maybe even his sense humour at times but I'm feeling really sad about the way things have gone now. It's not funny anymore, only obsessive and sad. Maybe it's only temporary and he'll be OK again.

As for myself, I won't probably attend the discussion here because I strongly feel this is not the place for me. Don't take it as disrespect but I wouldn't reelly feel comfortable here - after all this fuss. On the other hand I feel it's good time to step out of a role as an active BAFfer and spend more time with other activities such as listening to music.

Cheers,J.V.
Fang Sheng
November 14, 2004 10:01AM
Bye, Juha!

Although I don't know if I'm ever gonna be able to listen to another reissue again, without having first checked with you whether it's OK to, just in case it's been remastered by a man wearing a polyester jumper, and not a wooly one, as specifically instructed in the Big Book of Remastering Do's and Don'ts (2nd Edition) by Juha Farterer
BMC
November 14, 2004 01:05PM
I for one wouldn't mind you staying around, Juha. If only to correct us when stating something is original, while it's in fact a tune with its origin in a US soul tune or something. Or for the often needed Studio One facts and indeed the discussions about reissues and their mastering-errors! :-)
Listening to music sure is the best, but talkin' about it and sharing the joys at the same time makes it even nicer, right?
November 14, 2004 01:18PM
You'll be missed, Juha.

One love,

Rootz
November 14, 2004 01:21PM
when in Rome ? so this is an Italian website then ?

;-)

respect
Dots
November 14, 2004 02:07PM
I especially enjoy your post on mastering of re-issues Juha
November 15, 2004 09:50AM
daniel - may i suggest that you also delete posts blagging mr reel? no need to beat a dead horse.
Jimmy Entwistle
November 15, 2004 11:08AM
Go suck Bill Gates cock, Danny Boy, you fuckin' geek.
November 15, 2004 11:21AM
dirtweed, this is a bit a valuable info if true.
Penny has been offering his records for sale on the B&F board
I'm not gonna jump to conclusions & assume I've been ripped off, but a heads up on possible problems is welcome advice
Jimmy Entwistle
a few more
November 15, 2004 11:24AM
Far too many power-hungry pricks in the world, Danny Boy. Your festival is meaningless to all but a handful out West. Epiphany just plain sucks. Now be a good little webmaster and remove this. Pronto!
November 15, 2004 11:26AM
r u related to tha bass player of the who? -RASpects+
November 15, 2004 11:31AM
>mite aswell delete i* post's here aswell since dey r out of place now* -RASpects+
November 15, 2004 11:50AM
to me, giab, it looks like a mean-spirited rumor. and if you are really looking for solid investment, the city if turija are looking for backers to market these... [www.abc.net.au]

and by the way 0 the mans name is penny...peeny is what i call mr wiggle.
Re: A few words about Penny Reel
November 15, 2004 12:25PM
Daniel, I think this disgusting thread
[www.snwmf.com]
should be deleted for sure!
November 15, 2004 12:29PM
i guess it is a bit of a double standard that very similar things written by Reel are deleted immediately
November 15, 2004 12:44PM
Yes, there is a double standard. I give everybody as much slack as possible regarding posts, but once you cross the line, as Reel and others have done, then ALL of your posts disappear!
El FLEXIMIX D'choco
November 15, 2004 12:54PM
FWIW I think the Feng Sheng just may possibly be someone who has inside details as opposed to a fanciful account
November 15, 2004 01:59PM
Come on, Mario, this is ridiculous (even if it's true)!
Tell us who you are and who Feng Sheng (Richard) is - you're both On-U spies :-)
It was not your fault that the "Sherwood" story went too far - but in my eyes you're now acting as fools too.
That thread I brought to attention wasn't better than Penny's worst "parodies"!
I want no fight with you or Richard, please just stop the whole thing NOW!

There is no need to make a sad story longer...

Ekki
November 15, 2004 03:37PM
I've had my posts deleted on this forum in the past, it's no big deal. Daniel allows alot of slack(ness), but only to a certain point. So far Penny No Life is the only downside to having all these new posters on the SNWMF board.
November 15, 2004 04:39PM
let me say that "penny no life" life is immeasurably more substantial than yours chichi. you don't even know the man yet you are dissing him. grow up.
mark b
November 15, 2004 04:40PM
Jesus wept
November 15, 2004 04:41PM
haha, when ya throw stone in a hog pen and one squeal...him it ah lick!
El FLEXIMIX D'choco
November 15, 2004 05:01PM
I cartwheeled headfirst into church cuz I saw Satan in a skirt!
Jack Perilous
November 16, 2004 05:36AM
Dirtweed - I can assure you this is no ugly rumour. His family are not likely to be involved in that are they? you can ask them yourself if you like, my name is Jerry. If you knew the whole story you would realise that i have every reason to be VERY angry with the man, but have decided to give him the slack he obviously needs at the moment. Check your facts, then open your mouth.
November 16, 2004 05:39AM
I think Dirt was responding to Chimino?

One love,

Rootz
Jack Perilous
November 16, 2004 05:45AM
Author: GIAB (---.ihug.net)
Date: 11-15-04 11:21

dirtweed, this is a bit a valuable info if true.
Penny has been offering his records for sale on the B&F board
I'm not gonna jump to conclusions & assume I've been ripped off, but a heads up on possible problems is welcome advice

Author: dirtweed (---.acordia.com)
Date: 11-15-04 11:50

to me, giab, it looks like a mean-spirited rumor. and if you are really looking for solid investment, the city if turija are looking for backers to market these... [www.abc.net.au].

Fraid not, Rootz!
Love.
November 16, 2004 05:50AM
well...coke anyone ? smiling smiley
Jack Perilous
November 16, 2004 05:58AM
It's not drugs. Had to clear that up. Now that really is enough said!
November 16, 2004 06:36AM
Ahh, I was looking at this one:

"Author: Chimino (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: 11-15-04 15:37

I've had my posts deleted on this forum in the past, it's no big deal. Daniel allows alot of slack(ness), but only to a certain point. So far Penny No Life is the only downside to having all these new posters on the SNWMF board.

Author: dirtweed (---.acordia.com)
Date: 11-15-04 16:39

let me say that "penny no life" life is immeasurably more substantial than yours chichi. you don't even know the man yet you are dissing him. grow up."

One love,

Rootz
November 16, 2004 09:59AM
yo jack p - please re-read my post. "to me (this would indicate that it is an opinion rather than a fact) it appears to be a mean-spirited rumor". why does this innocuous statement rattle your chain? i apologize to you if i cast aspersions on your statement but hey, don't be so thin skinned and don't tell me when to open my mouth. thankyou.
Jack Perilous
November 17, 2004 02:40AM
Fair enough, DW but you said it as if you somehow knew what was going on when you don't. Most people would consider that cause enough to not tell someone who DOES know what is going on that he is spreading ugly rumours.,...say what you like, but don't expect me to accept it!
dbg
November 17, 2004 09:12AM
I'm really not sure what this is all about, and truly don't care to. I know the NAME Penny Reel from various articles I've read (reggae) over a long period of time and I actually wanted to meet this writer after I read his D Brown book.

Still do. The book didn't go deep enough for me and being more than interested in the life of the late, great Crown Prince, wouldn't mind some anecdotes. So there!

Irie!

The Race is not for the Swift....but for Who can endure it.
Conscious Pilot
November 17, 2004 09:54AM
DBG, If you're in the London area or passing through I think you'd find Penny Reel more than happy to chat about Dennis Brown and to share his knowledge of reggae over some tunes and a cup of tea around at his place.
In that sense I think he is one of the most generous spirits I know. It's rare that someone who has been involved in and a top-class writer about the scene would take time out, through an interest and love of music to engage with people, both on a website and in real life.
There's not many others around like that in any music scene I can think of.
I'm glad to have got to know him and many others from the B&F site,
particularly Zoki
Pilot
November 17, 2004 09:55AM
But you never write me, Hugh :-(
How are things?

Cheers, Ekki
dbg
November 18, 2004 03:36AM
Ooh...I don't know now... not after reading all that stuff about the guy. I'm unapologetically authentic reggae - through & through and DB was/is the consumate roots reggae artiste for me, the original ghetto superstar. Perhaps someone else can feed my obsession with titbits re. DEB? I'll start a topic on him; maybe...

The Race is not for the Swift....but for Who can endure it.
Conscious Pilot
November 18, 2004 03:40AM
You know I respect you enormously though Ekki and I'm not just after you for your comics!
Frankfurt trip is soon come.......definitely before Xmas....
Did you not get the flowers Zoki?
Maybe they were eaten by Serbian postman?
Hope the tings would be changed with Serbian post office,
Pilot
jbwelda
November 18, 2004 09:43AM
if you want to know about d brown, talk to niney...he is more than happy to share endless anecdotes about the crown prince, or at least he was when i talked to him for a couple hours at the festival a couple years ago. very insightful and seemingly honest in his appraisal of the rise and fall of his good friend.

one love
jah bill
Fang Sheng
November 18, 2004 10:57AM
Anyone know how Niney who lost a finger in an accident got his nickname?

jbwelda
November 18, 2004 12:07PM
hail nine finger
jerry lewis?

one love
jah bill
November 18, 2004 12:42PM

I think it's just one of those things that is going to have to remain a mystery Richard. There just doesn't seem to be any obvious explanation.

Mark T.
November 18, 2004 01:04PM
i think the accident happened october 9 (9-9).
November 18, 2004 01:06PM
whoa there - it was september 9 (9-9). i had a luncheon smoke.
Chris
November 18, 2004 03:59PM
"DBG, If you're in the London area or passing through I think you'd find Penny Reel more than happy to chat about Dennis Brown and to share his knowledge of reggae over some tunes and a cup of tea around at his place.
In that sense I think he is one of the most generous spirits I know. It's rare that someone who has been involved in and a top-class writer about the scene would take time out, through an interest and love of music to engage with people, both on a website and in real life."

My experience too Conscious
informer
November 19, 2004 01:00AM

i think the answer lies is in your question.

nine fingers, so his nickname became "Niney".
Fang Sheng
November 19, 2004 07:07AM
Oh gosh, thanks Informer, I hadn't thought of that! And so my quest is finally over.

Aaron
November 19, 2004 07:12AM
I looked in on this topic for a few words about Peeny Reel and all I find is more about Penny [sic] Reel. I hate that.
November 19, 2004 07:18AM
But was it a bizarre gardening accident?

One love,

Rootz
Conscious Pilot
November 19, 2004 07:37AM
Whatdyya mean Hoe?
Pilot
November 19, 2004 07:42AM
"[When asked what happened to their first drummer]
David St. Hubbins: He died in a bizarre gardening accident...
Nigel Tufnel: Authorities said... best leave it... unsolved. "

One love,

Rootz
November 19, 2004 11:42AM
I think there may be some undetected irony going on here Fang Sheng.
Mark T
Fang Sheng
November 19, 2004 12:19PM
Undetected, as in 'not there', Mark T? I read and re-read. I couldn't be sure.

November 19, 2004 02:27PM
I assumed your original question was completely tongue in cheek - though typed with a straight face - and so I replied in kind. Perhaps it's me who is missing something here. It is amazing how communication depends on so much more than the words.
Mark T.
ps still enjoying Scritti Politti
Fang Sheng
November 20, 2004 04:33AM
Oh sorry, I'm getting muddled here. Yes, it (my question) was tongue in cheek. I thought you meant Informer's reply was being ironic and I wasn't 'getting it'. Maybe it was? Erm.. anyway, yes! I picked up a Japanese copy of the Scritti CD a while back (absolutely no different to the usual, but you know, it's Japanese!) - still sounding good! Glad you're enjoying it. What about the early stuff?

November 20, 2004 01:11PM
No I'm not sure informers reply was ironic - I was surprised people were taking you seriously.
I must confess that I haven't given the earlier stuff the listening that it deserves (especially for your hard work) so I have just removed it from the shelf- I will listen to it at leats twice and then report back later.
Cheers, Mark T.
November 22, 2004 01:23AM
what was the question ?
November 22, 2004 07:57AM
Now you are being ironic informer.

Richard. I listened to the Scritti cd and enjoyed it - will give it a few more spins. I have been listening to a bit of stuff from back when.......PIL, Magazine, Joy Division etc - even early Roxy which I am really enjoying.

Mark T.
November 22, 2004 10:51AM
ah, The Magazine, always one of my favourites
November 22, 2004 11:05AM
Especially when you're feeling shot by both sides. Buzzcocks were never as good.
Mark T.
November 22, 2004 01:11PM
true Mark, but the Spiral Scratch 7" with Devoto on voz was pretty wicked
b'dum b'dum b'dum

Zoki, Richard Simmons
November 22, 2004 01:38PM
VOZ !!!
I meant vox
I have an extensive collection of bootleg videos featuring Richard Simmons playing with both Simon & Garfunkle, but alas am missing the very rare 3 way show
November 22, 2004 08:42PM
I also remember listening to Time's Up (I think that's what it was called) - a Buzzcocks bootleg album with Devoto doing at least some of the vocals.

Zoki - I never would have got the right answer!

Mark T.
November 23, 2004 04:04AM
duet ? you mean trio then....
November 23, 2004 07:41AM
No, I think it's that English-Serbian translation aid that you use to post on here.
Mark T.
The man
January 02, 2006 06:06AM
Dan, I've never used a "a massive corporate ISP in which my IP changes on a daily basis". I use an ordinary home PC, bought for about £1000 five years ago. The thing is, every time I search for SNWMF I arrive here. With Blood & Fire I've been banned and am now not able to access any part of their site - not even news, new releases etc.

However, I've found a way of reading their forum through my ISP, though I'm still not able to post there under the name "The man". In case you're interested my new name on the B&F forum is "Maxwigpjue"

Observer
quadruped
January 02, 2006 07:09AM
Your ISP is the company which provides your connection to the internet. It has nothing to do with your PC hardware. Therefore the fact that you use "an ordinary home PC" does not refute what Daniel is saying. By the "as9105.com" part of your address it looks as if you are a Tiscali customer. Your ISP uses "dynamic" IP address allocation. So when you connect to your broadband connection, you do not get the same IP address each time.

This is what Daniel is refering to in his initial posting. He is saying that he cannot simply ban your IP address to prevent you from posting, becuase the next time you connect, your IP address will be different. I hope that clears things up.
The man
January 02, 2006 07:12AM
Thanks quad, though I can't understand why Danny deleted my post.

Ites
Reel
Saucy
January 03, 2006 03:20AM
It was dull/repetitive/defamatory/self-serving?
Take your pick.
January 03, 2006 04:31AM
happy new year Old Man
January 03, 2006 07:52AM
SNFMF was innocent hippy & reggae forum before you came here and turn it to interesting place. Thank you dear Man and happy new year.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login