Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

midnite

Posted by sisterlil 
sisterlil
midnite
March 13, 2004 02:58PM
If I where to buy a midnit cd which one does everyone recommend?
Irie_Sis
Re: midnite
March 13, 2004 03:36PM
My favorite midnite album is still unpolished i love every single song on that album. I have all of midnites albums. and have favorite songs on each album. But to me unpolished was just one of those albums where every song was da bomb you probably know that feeling smiling smiley . My favorite song at the moment though is give jah the glory off of the He is Jah album.
March 13, 2004 03:55PM
Ras Mek Peace
Zana
March 13, 2004 05:36PM
Unpolished for your first album. It is very, very good.
Next, Seek knowledge before vengance.
IMO.
Ras Mek Peace is excellent but the recording quality isn't as good as the others.
sisterlil
March 14, 2004 03:29PM
Irie!!
jah bless
matty
March 14, 2004 04:47PM
any midnite cd is a good choice, but in my opinion (and i am one of those crazy's that feels that midnite is the best out there) vijan is probably thier best all around album
March 14, 2004 07:15PM
The recording quality on Ras Mek Peace is a little shaky. But i like it. Kinda gives it a real RuFF sound, more authentic in my opinion. In the liner notes of the CD there is a cool summary about the band and the way the the album was recorded. It helped me to overlook the sound quality. Lyrically Excellent. Irie
March 16, 2004 06:38PM
nemozian rasta murders.
bun n cheese
March 16, 2004 06:44PM
yeah, that is what i am talking about. Dezerie + Midnite = better Midnite
Wolf
March 16, 2004 06:55PM
ras mek peace..
sisterlil
March 20, 2004 06:12PM
I just got my first midnite Cd unpolished. It is so out of this world. We can't stop listening to it. I have seen midnite twice and can't wait till June. Thank you everyone for your thoughts about my first midnite cd. Family +Peace + love
Jah bless.
Zana
March 20, 2004 10:21PM
I'm glad that you like your new CD. Unpolished is my favorite so far. I have yet to buy all of theirs though.
March 22, 2004 11:47PM
I am froom Brazil!!!

I love Midnite!!!

My band is...
www.stcroixband.com.brZana wrote:
Irie_Sis
March 23, 2004 05:43AM
Greetings Sister Lil im so glad you went and got that cd. music is so uplifting and that cd will keep you irie. im sure you will see many places to shop at the show and its always nice to pick up some cds over there not much reggae available where i live anyways. try the nasio fontaine-living in the positive if you dont have that yet. bless
sisterlil
March 23, 2004 04:14PM
Greetings Irie_sis,
The Cd is great and we always buy mass cd's when we are at the show.. That is always something we look forward to. Where do you live?
pat
March 23, 2004 04:23PM
ras mek peace is very unique. check these notes on it from daniel from ireggae:

"Midnite captures the essential qualities of roots music with their latest album Ras Mek Peace (Before Reverb and Without Delay) released on Mapleshade's Wildchild! label. Reggae - naked and raw is perhaps the best description that can be given to the 60 minutes of superb musical works that can be heard on this album. Ras Mek Peace was recorded using only 2 tracks, one for vocals and one for instruments. Incredibly, the tracks were put together using no mixing board, no filtering, no compression, no equalization, no noise reduction, multitracking or overdubbing. "

not many band can do that! respect to midnite.
Irie_Sis
March 23, 2004 05:02PM
hi sister lil yes i myself go looking for all the cd's to cause i live in a really small town called woodland its a lil north of sacramento. but its so small that the reggae selection in the record store only has 20 cd's max if i didnt learn so much about music from the internet i would probably only know bob marley still hehe . im blessed to have a really good music collection from surfing and buying things online. and lots of albums are streamed on www.ireggae.com so its good to have a listen before you buy. hope you have a blessed day sis one love smiling smiley
jb welda
March 23, 2004 05:19PM
www.ebreggae.com

the only record shop you need to know, available anywhere there is a computer.

one love
jah bill
flip
March 23, 2004 05:23PM
i was going to say the same thing....ernie b is the man
March 23, 2004 08:44PM
"Unpolished", Midnite's first album, is a strong release. It came out in 1997. Midnite also recorded another albums worth of songs from those same sessions, and I hear that those tunes are just as crucial, but will probably never be heard.

"Ras Mek Peace" was recorded in 1999. It features Tuff Lion on guitar & Joe Straws on bass (both were dropped unfortunatley after the recording). The album is actully a live album recorded live in a studio with only 2 microphones and no reverb, mixing board, or equalization. In my opinion, Midnite's best album.

These albums above are actully the only 2 Midnite albums, where the band wrote all their own music & used real istruments.

I GRADE ALBUMS

"Nemozian Rasta" was recorded in 2001 & was the first release from I Grade records. "Tippy" Alfred (I Grade founder) wrote most of the music on the album. Vaughn Benjamin wrote the vocals & melodies. This album features a couple tracks by female roots singer Dezarie. This album also features Midnite's current bassist Phil Merchant on drums. In my opinion, Midnite's best drummer.

"Assini" was recorded in 2002 & released on I Grade records. Midnite used some digital instrumentation on this album, but it still has a very rootsy vibe. Again, "Tippy" Alfred wrote most of the music, with Vaughn Benjamin writing the vocals & melodies.

"Vijan", Midnite's last I Grade colaboration, was recorded in 2003. It contains more digital elements than the previous albums, but contains a very spiritual vibe. It features Tuff Lion again playing guitar (and even some slide guitar). This album is very relaxing & is good for meditation.

OTHER ALBUMS

Midnite has about 5 others albums, but I only recommend the ones listed above.
Albums from the 'Afrikan Roots Lab' label all have a very similar and boring sound. Hopefully, Midnite will start to release albums that are like the older releases, and hopefully those extra songs from the "Unpolished" sessions will be released some day also.

ADDITIONAL MUSIC

For other music from the St. Croix area, check out these websites :
www.igraderecords.com
www.mtneborecords.com (Check the band called "Bambu Station"winking smiley

PEACE
March 23, 2004 09:20PM
Barnicle:
I respect your views, but please tell me why the following albums are not 100% midnite productions:

Jubilees of Zion
Seek Knowledge Before Vengeance
Intense Pressure
Scheme A Things
Ainshant Maps

Personally, my favorite midnite album seems to change all the time, but invariably I go back to Jubilees of Zion as being their best work.

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES:
[www.soundvizionrecords.com]
[www.ireggae.com]
sisterlil
March 23, 2004 09:30PM
Good Afternoon Irie_Sis,
I don't live that far from you. I live in Sacramento area.. Right on. It cool to chat with someone local..
One love
March 23, 2004 10:10PM
Yes I Daniel,

Those 5 other Midnite albums you mentioned ARE Midnite productions, but since Ras Mek Peace was recorded in 1999, Midnite has not made an album with natural instruments 100% written by themselves. But honestly, I have heard very little of Ainshant Maps & Scheme Of Things. I have Scheme Of Things & now that I listen to it, it sounds like it could be all natural instrumentation. But when I was told about the situation with Midnite, it was before these 2 albums came out.
Jubilees Of Zion was made in one night, but used alot of sampling. I still think that all these newer albums all sound too much alike and in my opinion are boring to listen to. Like I said before, Midnite has an albums worth of unreleased music from the Unpolished sessions. I know that you are from Ireggae, and I'm sure you communicate with Midnite occaisonally. Hopefully you can bring up the fact that alot of people would like to hear those songs & they should be released even though only a handful of people know about them at the moment.

PEACE
March 24, 2004 02:12AM
I'm curious Banicle, have you seen them live? If so, what do you think of them live, especially the songs from those albums you don't care for?

My admiration for Jubilees of Zion grew dramatically after hearing them do those songs live. Feel free to email me if you want to talk about Unpolished II or to explain which part of JofZ was 'sampled'. Isis
matty
March 24, 2004 09:53PM
i respect the opinions that you have barnacle, but i don't see where you get the idea that the albums you didn't list were written by someone other than midnite. sometimes i think that as fans of one genre, reggae listeners can be way too harsh when it comes to a lot of albums. and as far as the "real instruments" comment, i fail to see the relevence. aulthough i am not a fan of overly synthisized music, as far as i'm concerned, anything that you need to plaug in and run thru an amplifier might as well not be "real". it took me a long time to give even a slightly synth sounding album a chance, and midnite was the band that broke that wall. i'm not sure if any of jubilee's is sampled or not, it certainly doesn't sound like it to me.
much love
jjlab3
March 25, 2004 12:41AM
I asked this same question " what 1st Midnite CD to buy?" a few weeks ago. Everyone recommended Unpolished. I took there advice and got it. It is awesome. Thanks for the advice.
flip
March 25, 2004 12:47AM
i love to see some midnite on vinyl.....anybody ever seen any?
March 25, 2004 01:32AM
jjlab3,

If your ready for your next dose, try the brand new AINSHANT MAPS.
Seek Knowldge Before Vengeance is of a similar style, with Ras Mek Peace being more akin to Unpolished IMO. You can check all the midnite sounds out at:
[www.ireggae.com]
March 25, 2004 04:20PM
Yes Flip... and all other Midnite fans who listen to vinyl,

Nemozian Rasta will be available on vinyl in about a week. This will be the first, and as of now, only Midnite release on vinyl. You can buy it either at:

[www.igraderecords.com]
or
[www.ebreggae.com]

Here is the track listing (abbreviated from the CD's original 16 songs to fit on vinyl's 40 min. limit):
Side A:
1. Mountains
2. Shout That (a new mix with Tuff Lion on guitar)
3. Love IE One Another
4. Bless
5. If I Betray
Side B:
1. Up Stay
2. Black Congo
3. Esta Es the Truth
4. Swing and the Slide
5. Enough for Everyone

The Dezarie songs were left off because her debut album FYA (which has 2 of the 3 Dezarie songs from Nemozian Rasta) will be available on vinyl towards the end of April. Other I Grade releases will be issued on vinyl in the coming months.

Peace and Blessings

March 25, 2004 05:16PM
To Daniel & Matty,

When I said that Midnite has not recorded an album with real instruments since Ras Mek Peace, that is true. Jubilees Of Zion has no real bass, among some other things.... & all the Afrikan Roots Lab recordings (Seek Knowledge, Ainshant Maps, Scheme Of Things, Intense Pressure) really use mostly fake drums & bass. Yes, it is true. Some of the drum rolls & few bass lines are real though. Ronnie Benjamin programs most of the beats in his own studio. Thats why those latest releases since Seek Knowledge sound very similar. Nemozian Rasta has all real instrumentation, but the music was all written by Tippy from I Grade. Thats why i said before "Midnite has not made an album with real instruments 100% written by themselves since Ras Mek Peace".
And yes Daniel, I have seen Midnite about 8-10 times. I have met them & I am a good friend of someone who used to record with them, so all the facts I mention are true. I have no reason to make up or assume anything about Midnite, because I like the band. They just need to go back to the oldschool.

PEACE
March 25, 2004 05:37PM
So Barnicle, having seen them so many times live, what is your impression regarding Midnite's live performance of songs from the Jubilees Of Zion album that you are panning?

Great Zimbabwe Walls, Mighty Race, Begin The Day, Ras To The Bone, Batter Ram Sound.... To me, these are some of their BEST live songs!!!!
pat
March 25, 2004 05:49PM
True that daniel
March 25, 2004 08:24PM
Mr. Daniel,

I never said anything bad about Jubilees Of Zion (other than not recommending it as much as other releases) & 'Ring Out A Chant' is one of my favorite songs that they perform live. Well, I assume 'panning' is a bad thing, but Webster's dictionary didn't list it. And about Midnite's live performances..... the first ones I witnessed were very powerful, but then I noticed that every show kind of had the same setlist. But I still give Midnite nuff credit for supplying my brain with fresh roots at a time when I felt that roots music was dying. I just wish for Midnite to make an album with some real drum & bass, thats all....

PEACE
Chipper
March 26, 2004 05:54AM
Seek Knowledge Before Vengeance
March 26, 2004 12:00PM
"but the music was all written by Tippy from I Grade".
Your mistaken by saying Tippy wrote all the music.

bless Up
Kufunya
March 26, 2004 01:15PM
You speak as if you know!
For your information- Midnite does not record other peoples songs or music period. All music and written lyrics are 100% Midnite
Midnite does not sample ANY MUSIC PERIOD!
With regards to I-grade & Midnite Projects all music and lryics written by Midnite Period.
March 26, 2004 05:44PM
Kufunya,
I do not write any false info. It seems that people are attacking me because they think that I hate Midnite. I DO NOT hate Midnite. Tippy from I Grade wrote 90% of the music for Nemozian Rasta, Assini, & Vijan. & I already said that Vaughn wrote the lyrics & melodies. Midnite DID sample on Jubilees Of Zion, among other new albums.

"Midnite does not sample ANY MUSIC PERIOD!"
You speak as if you know.....
Talk to Ronnie Benjamin at the show and he will tell you EXACTLY what I have.
Damn, all I try to do is give people some information on Midnite, & it seems that people can't handle the truth. The truth isn't even bad.

PEACE
March 26, 2004 06:07PM
Barnicle,
I was not 'attacking you'. I was merely questioning what you have said in this thread.

You say you 'do not write any false info', but have previously stated: "Jubilees Of Zion has no real bass". The liner notes for Jubilees of Zion state:

Phillip Merchant - Bass

It would seem to me that either: 1) the liner notes are false; or 2) your previous statement is false.
March 26, 2004 08:21PM
Mr. Daniel,

Jubilees Of Zion has no real bass. Philip Merchant could be using digital bass, or could have just written the basslines. I was originally told by a band member that Philip Merchant was not even on the album....
For further info, I recommend talking to the band themselves, beacuse all I did is review some albums & give my opinions & let out some facts about some recordings.
March 27, 2004 12:14AM
A note of clarification:

Vaughn Benjamin wrote all lyrics and vocal melodies for all three Midnite-I Grade collaborations (with the exception of Dezarie's 3 songs on Nemozian Rasta). Most of the music was CO-produced and arranged by Vaughn and Tippy. The liner notes for each CD clearly describe all writing, production and playing credits for each song.

Give thanks,

Selam
PR, I Grade Records

March 27, 2004 06:58PM
when is the official date on dat vinyl release? ive been complaining about dar record blank for so long that i* cant beleive this is really even happening. please let iNi kno so i* can get i* system copy"z" first hand, seen. cause i* kno dis one gonna clear out fast on first round. JAH*
March 27, 2004 07:43PM
Give thanks Selam
Kufunya
Big Sis Ent/ Rastafaria.com
Midnite Management
WaterTruckGuy
March 30, 2004 01:50AM
anybody note that nobody has ever played snwmf 3 yrs in a row?
Pale Ryder
March 30, 2004 04:38PM
What about Don?? He has played it 3 in a row
March 30, 2004 04:40PM
Isn't this Stone Love's 3rd in a row?

One love
eric v
March 31, 2004 09:57PM
Nemozian Rasta - Midnite's first collaboration album with I Grade Records - is now available on vinyl - Midnite's first ever release on wax!

Either at:

[www.igraderecords.com]

or

[www.ebreggae.com]

Give thanks!

bun n cheese
March 31, 2004 10:03PM
Selam seh "Midnite's first ever release on wax!"

Now that is an ear full
jjlab3
March 31, 2004 11:40PM
Thanks Daniel. I will check it out.
April 02, 2004 07:05PM
iNi copy"s" of first ever midnite pressing R already in the mail to Arizona for Selecta7souN system* R.A.W.#1792. now if we can get Intense Pressure on vinyl along with a few more hitterz, iNi will bring up the version for dis uprizing. nuff RASpects everytime! [www.jahmeekproductions.com]
April 02, 2004 07:28PM
All persons interested in keeping up with the Midnite runnings are encouraged to join the Midnite Yahoo Group at:
[launch.groups.yahoo.com]

And check out this page for lyrics to more than 50 Midnite selections along with links to all information related to this great roots band:
[www.ireggae.com]
April 02, 2004 09:15PM
I have 4 midnite cd's now!!!!. I favorite is so far is unpolished, but I am still listening to the other 3 over and over... Irie_sis you are so right on about unpolished and i loveing every single song on that album.. and haveing favorite songs on each the other alumbs..
Jah Bless.
Lil
April 03, 2004 06:40PM
-almost+ time to start another midnite thread. but nuff RASpects to dis one that stayed on top of the countless otherz! 2004 is midnite's LARGE year & with the way tingz be rollin' pozitive. this vibe seemz to have many more stages ahead. ites*
Irie_Sis
April 03, 2004 06:50PM
Greets Sister LiL glad to hear you have been getting more midnite albums. I just got the one called Ainshant Maps and i have to say this is a great new release. Lots of irie vibes flowing on this production..Big up to midnite for this production . i give thanks cant wait till June!!! one love cali massive smiling smiley
sisterlil
April 03, 2004 07:18PM
Yes, I think it's time to start a new Midnite thread...
this one is very full.. And I forgot I have ordered another cd and it came yesterday.. Ras seek peace.love it.
April 06, 2004 08:55PM
-love+ to kno what nite midnite will play & time. although i* kno time has no meaning here! REWIND! new thread.......->
Unknown One
April 06, 2004 09:30PM
Test

April 08, 2004 09:32PM
your dam right unpolished is best all though sound cant wait for SNWMF see u ther
puppa java
April 09, 2004 09:09PM
seek knowledge before vengeance is one of there best cds...
Zana
April 09, 2004 09:33PM
Seek knowledge is definelty a great album. It is too hard for me to say that I have a favorite. They are all good. But, Unpolished was my first so I tend to favor that one.
I am so looking forward to seeing them live for the first time.
April 14, 2004 04:48AM
Midnite is a great and that perhaps is a little undiscovered. . .
However I hear they may also be appearing for the very first time at ROTR this year!
I can't wait!
irie_Sis
April 22, 2004 04:09PM
greetings today i found a song from kayamagon which has vaughn singing i love this song burning fire. does anyone know where i can get more info. is there an album?
April 22, 2004 06:59PM
-ask daniel+ im sure he could help ya*
April 23, 2004 12:49AM
KayaMagon is a collaboration between Vaughn Benjamin and someone named Desmond. I know of 4 songs, but think there were others... I believe the 4 songs were let off last year without Vaughn's permission, which (rightfully) vexed him and put the brakes on the project. I would love to see things set right because I love the riddim on the song you mentioned and the lyrics on the others, well their Vaughn's... nuff said.
February 18, 2006 04:11AM
where can i listen to kayamagon?
kyndgrl myspace.com/kyndgrl
February 18, 2006 04:39AM
Vjian 2.
Unpolished 1.
Seek Knowledge 3.
Ainshant Maps 5.
Sceme of Things 4.
Jubilles of Zion 7.
Cipheraw 8.
Ras Mek Peace 9.

my favs so far in that order...waiting for the new one to come in the mail!!
March 06, 2006 03:39AM
Jah Grid!!!!!!!
kyndgrl myspace.com/kyndgrl
March 06, 2006 04:14AM
I bought current, and should get Jah Grid too!!
March 06, 2006 04:32AM
if you liked Current you will love Jah Grid, it could be the most powerful one to date!
kyndgrl
March 07, 2006 02:52AM
yes ive heard some of Jah Grid, I think its better than current and I shouldve got that one...at least first..

Bless~
March 09, 2006 11:33PM
If you have none of there Cds and would like to know which to get,start with these
1)Unpolished
2)Jubilees of Zion
3)Seek knowledge before vengeance
*(Just for starters)*(Assini/Jahgrid)Are my(2)Favorites with(I-grade)!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login