Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anote about REEL for them that know him (not having a go...)

Posted by Jack Perilous 
Jack Perilous
Anote about REEL for them that know him (not having a go...)
November 15, 2004 12:19PM
This is Jack "mole" Johnson from BAF. I am a friend of Reels and of his family. This email is to ask any of you that know him please to not give him any money - for records, or anything else. This is for his good and yours, and his family have asked me to say this. He is not in a good way - so don't feel no way. Reel is as good and honest a person as you could meet but at the moment he can't be trusted. Nuff said.
Re: Anote about REEL for them that know him (not having a go...)
November 15, 2004 03:18PM
Author: Bufo bufo (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date:   11-11-04 22:01

Your posts sound a little harsh mate, i don't recall him directing anything at yourself, perhaps there's a bigger picture too, do you ever wonder about that ?
November 15, 2004 03:26PM
I thought you were going to give it a rest Bufo?
November 15, 2004 03:44PM
Hopefully Jack does know the bigger picture but is choosing not to publicly share all the details - anyway, that's how I read it.
Mark T.
November 15, 2004 03:47PM
I am Tim, sorry, hasty post.
Gordon
November 15, 2004 04:06PM
I'm sure that any of us who have a "human" side will wish Penny all the best and I hope to see him back sharing his great knowledge of reggae with us all as soon as he can.

Respect

Gordon
November 15, 2004 06:42PM
Shame I sent him 50 quid for a load of singles a couple of days before the BAF board closed sad smiley
Gordon
November 15, 2004 09:06PM
Are you trying to imply something there Mario?

I don't think it's any of your business to make wild guesses.

It's amazing how you're alive you know, I always assumed that people needed a heart to live........

Gordon
Gordon
November 15, 2004 09:16PM
ok - apologies for the misunderstanding. I assumed you were one of these people who bash the guy no matter what.

Respect

Gordon
November 15, 2004 09:21PM
I've also had to deal with a family member suffering paranoid schizophrenia, & it really ain't pleasant for anyone involved.
mark b
November 15, 2004 09:25PM
A lesson for all of us ,to live and learn.love mark b
A note about REEL
November 15, 2004 09:44PM
I met Penny Reel in real life and I like him very much!
So can you please STOP all now assuming about Penny's current state!
The internet is the right place for gossip and speculations, but this is a serious story...
So please give it a rest!
Show some respect for the man & his family!
And let's hope, that he gets well again pretty soon!!!

Ekki
November 15, 2004 09:50PM
I think we should stop speculating. It's unfortunate for Penny that his own actions will inevitably arouse this type of curiosity in all who have witnessed his recent behaviour but I think it would be wise to exercise a little respect- especially for his privacy. Rumours can get very ugly & no doubt the truth will reach us when it's good and ready.
November 15, 2004 09:52PM
the plot thickens...

seriously though, as above i too had the pleasure of meeting Penny, hope whatevers troubling him soon passes...

respect
Dots
November 15, 2004 09:55PM
"Rumours can get very ugly & no doubt the truth will reach us when it's good and ready", very true Jugz.
Big Bad John
November 15, 2004 09:59PM
REGGAE EXPLOSION - THE STORY OF JAMAICAN MUSIC

Acknowledgments:
NO ONE IS WORTH MORE THAN ANYONE ELSE
November 15, 2004 10:01PM
Stop Now!
November 15, 2004 10:14PM
I think people who supported Reel throughout his period of flooding the BAF board might do well to look at the mirror, too. Him doing what he did for the length of
time and on the scope he did is the reason people still can't stop going over it, and now you're calling for it to stop.People he mentioned as his friends did very little to slow him down while it was happening, at least from what could be observed on the board. That said, I do hope he gets it together, whatever his problems are.

One love,

Rootz
STOP NOW !!!!!
November 15, 2004 10:21PM
Can't you see the difference now?
I give up....
Gordon
November 15, 2004 10:24PM
"People he mentioned as his friends did very little to slow him down while it was happening"

With all due respect Rootz, people who are his friends were trying their damn best to get him to stop. Speaking for myself, I stuck by him but never meddled too much as I don't know him as well as others do.

I think a lot of the problem sometimes is that there are many young people under 30 on message boards who may or may not have had "real" life experiences or problems so they're quick to judge someone.

I have my own problems which lead to me being very defensive online, but if people ever met me in person I'd be the first one to get the drinks in.

To sum up there's a song about all this - The Wailers "Who Feels It Knows It".

Respect

Gordon
November 15, 2004 10:37PM
Well, those were no surprise ruffled feathers. Sorry guys, but I just couldn't be bothered to write an essay covering all the points so that you wuld have no opportunity to misunderstand me.

Gord, you'll see that I wrote: "t least from what could be observed on the board". What could be seen on the board was a lot of people standing up for Reel (which is fine, you stand up for your friends) and at the same time making at the most very, very cautious mention that he might be out of line. So the only people who really criticized him were the ones who those in the know refer to 'Sherwood Goons' or whatever. I was myself seriously confused about the whole thing, as I saw a lot of people who I respect defending this destructive behaviour (I don't think standing up for your friend needs to include defending his bad behaviour), and not until the board is gone have some people been able to call it what it was.

One love,

Rootz
Free I
November 15, 2004 10:42PM
Whatever...that was then but as of now... Ekki's right. Leave it.
Free I
November 15, 2004 10:45PM
oops...haven't got the hang of this board yet! I say it again, Ekki's right. Leave it.
Gordon
November 15, 2004 10:48PM
Ok, my last two pence(or cents) on this subject.

At no point did I say I agreed with his outbursts, there was a certain one aimed at me remember?

Rather than dis the guy though, I was just puzzled as to why he'd type all that and then shortly after that moment I realised something might be wrong and I mailed a few people privately to say so.

Let's just hope for his well being now. What is done is done.

Respect

Gordon
November 15, 2004 10:49PM
"Let's just hope for his well being now. What is done is done."

Agreed. I guess I'm just sad about what happened, but yeah, let's move on.

One love,

Rootz
mark b
November 15, 2004 11:14PM
Get your own **** together.
November 15, 2004 11:45PM
What can you tell about my lucky stars, Mark?

One love,

Rootz
mark b
November 15, 2004 11:52PM
Rootz peace and love
I'm a Sagittarius
November 15, 2004 11:53PM
Depends on your birthdate, Rootz!
November 16, 2004 01:07AM
I did think it odd that Penny was flooding the B&F board with sales of merchandise including his private collection of reggae memorabilia and, in one of his last posts before the shutdown, even offering his entire record collection for sale. Not knowing him personally, I had assumed him to be falling on hard times financially, or perhaps just at a point in his life where he needed to "clean house"...and I did in fact send him some money for a copy of the Dennis Brown book (which he sent very promptly).

Since it appears the true situation is more serious (and it is not necessary for us to know or speculate on specifics), all I can do is wish him a speedy recovery from his present circumstances.
mark b
November 16, 2004 01:10AM
Ital a worthy and humble lesson for all of us
Fish
November 16, 2004 01:42AM
Good post, Ital, I noticed the same and was both surprised and sad that he was feeling the need to sell his collection; we all know how hard it is to have to sell one's records. I personally hope that his life soon takes a turn for the better.
November 16, 2004 03:27AM
Thanks Fish. As I digest this latest update (and hindsight is always 20/20), I am feeling a bit guilty for having sent him some funds which may have worsened his problems; at the time my only concern was that I was getting the Deep Down book for a cheaper price than it was available elsewhere.

Looking back it seems that there was a shift in Penny's posts over the last couple of years which became more pronounced the last weeks on the board. He arrived on the B&F board under similar controversial circumstances to those that resulted in the board shutdown; but after that initial uneasy period he quickly settled into a regular role on the board and I was quite startled (and occasionally disconcerted) by his powers of recollection and flashes of uncanny insight. Of late his posts (which had often been esoteric in nature) seemed to be more inward looking or obscure in motive than they had been; other than the oddness of the flurries of sales posts (and in particular the proposed subscription online publishing venture) I took little notice at the time, chalking it up to mere literary eccentricity or subtle humour. It now seems that other forces were at work, and if he is able to read this, I hope that he is soon able to overcome his current circumstances and rejoin us again to share his encyclopedic knowledge of music. He will be missed until then.
Mr Helpful
November 16, 2004 05:06AM
Reel has been a nutter since he started ringing steve barrows wife in the middle of the night.He's a nasty vindictive little man who believes he's far more important than anyone else.
November 16, 2004 05:55AM
You've been very helpful, mister.

One love,

Rootz
informer
November 16, 2004 09:26AM
IS THIS REEL ?
November 16, 2004 09:28AM
Just to say I saw Penny for a session on Saturday night. I don't know him very well having only met him once a couple of years before and I guess he is a little eccentric but he seemed okay to me, in fact I had a most interesting and enjoyable evening; I was given a free signed copy of Deep Down, a Pablo Moses badge, a reading from his new book, a free meal at a restaurant run by Fatman and some glimpses into a truly formidable music collection, not to mention several long wanderings around the Hackney hinterland. He said that he was selling his entire music collection, except for about 9000 irreplaceable records. I didn't buy anything though. Regardless of his sometimes odd posts, Penny Reel is a gent and a good man.

Jack Perilous
November 16, 2004 01:28PM
Unfortunately Fatman didn't think the meal was going to be free.... Please email me if poss. about that. Also want to gather his state of mind that night because it all kicked off the next day. For the record I'm sure it's not drugs, (except the usual) and i don't want to go into more detail. It's enough to say his state of mind is not healthy. I'm glad so many of you care. He has wronged me badly but i still care about him. If your reading this Reel, come round still, I would like to see you. no trouble.James wrote:
November 16, 2004 01:32PM
Perilous, please drop me a mail at ringo@crytough.com
November 16, 2004 05:53PM
Perilous, happy to send you/ Fatman a cheque for the meal if necessary - I did offer to pay for my share but Penny said there was no need - like I said he seemed okay to me and he was hoping you and Ringo would be joining us (so certainly didn't have any sense you might have fallen out) - he said 1 or 2 things which maybe were a little unusual but didn't necessarily mean anything - in that I have all sorts of unusual conversations with people(!) anyway, sorry to put this on the thread but I don't have your e-mail, mail me if I can be of any help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login