Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

the original augustus pablo..

Posted by mashdown 
mashdown
the original augustus pablo..
November 15, 2004 04:30AM
i was talking to the keyboard player of the skatalites last night and we were talking about jackie mittoo and he told me that jackie mittoo was the first augustus pablo and then glen adams was before horace swaby.. is that what everyone knew already or not? or does it not sound right to anyone? i cant search on b & f to check what it said there...
DG
Re: the original augustus pablo..
November 15, 2004 04:35AM
Was that figuratively speaking or what? I am not sure what are you trying to say...
El FLEXIMIX D'choco
November 15, 2004 04:40AM
Not sure exactly who was who - but apparently 'Augustus Pablo' was a pseudonym made up by the producer (the chins at Randys ?) applied to several different studio keyboard / Melodica players before one Horace Swaby came along, inheriting the title and making it his trademark..
FLEX
mashdown
November 15, 2004 04:43AM
yeah.. but i never knew who the first pablo was i think.. unless it had been mentioned on b & f... (and i forgot...) the guy who told me has been with the skatalites since 88 and knew mittoo well apparently.... so thats where he got his info most probably! interesting news!!
El FLEXIMIX D'choco
November 15, 2004 04:55AM
Its in some books but I dont recall the exact details: like 'Solid FOundation' - Dave Katz and maybe the Rough Guide to reggae..
I know I have read the info here & there.
Jackie Pablo
November 15, 2004 05:10AM
I believe Herman Chin-Loy used that name for a number of keyboard men prior to Horace Swaby making it all his own. Lloyd Charmers could be one of those men too. Anything is possible. The name did create other problems when lovers of the Rockers man's music started to put compile discographies. Some titles and credits are still subject to dispute over who's playing what. Over time Augustus Pablo actually stopped doing session work for lesser artists because they started giving him a higher profile on the credits, attracting more interest and helping increase sales for themselves. Augustus Pablo took exception to his name being used in that manner and pulled the plug on siiting in on sessions. Apparently he also had objections to the compiling of the discographies..........................
No matter what is said now, he was, and always will be, THE ORIGINAL ROCKER.
November 15, 2004 07:06AM
Yeah, this stuff is either in Solid Foundation or Bass Culrure, can't remember which, off the top of my head.

One love,

Rootz
Jackie Pablo
November 15, 2004 08:30AM
The following names have been mistakenly credited to Augustus Pablo:

Glen Brown
Phil Pratt
Ansel Collins
Pablove Black
Peter Tosh
Franklyn 'Bubbler' Waul
Joe White
Latty Guzang
Doctor Pablo

for more detail check out the book
"AUGUSTUS PABLO ORIGINAL ROCKER"
The Lol Boom Shaka Laka' Bell-Brown DISCOGRAPHY
prajna
November 15, 2004 12:18PM
From the Pressure Sounds site...
VARIOUS ARTISTS
“Aquarius Rock - The Hip Reggae World of Herman Chin-Loy”
Herman Chin Loy has a sound that is as distinctive as any in Reggae, always specializing in the quirky and the offbeat. His Scorpio and Aquarius labels were responsible for some of the most innovative instrumentals in reggae. Based in his Kingston record shop he was perfectly placed to pick up on the 'street' vibes of many of his young hip customers in the early 70s. Herman DJ’d and MC’d at some of Kingston's coolest clubs. He was actually making instrumental records under the name of Augustus Pablo before a skinny young kid called Horace Swaby turned up in his shop holding a melodica!! Herman gifted the name Augustus Pablo on the young Swaby and took him to the studio. The rest is history.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login