Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

GROUNDATION'S 9TH ANNUAL BOB MARLEY TRIBUTE TOUR

Posted by Bob Slayton 
GROUNDATION'S 9TH ANNUAL BOB MARLEY TRIBUTE TOUR
January 08, 2009 10:19PM
WITH SPECIAL GUESTS LEROY "HOPRSEMOUTH" WALLACE - DRUMS & WILL BERNARD - LEAD GUITAR

FEBRUARY

THURSDAY 5
MATEEL COMMUNITY CENTER
23 RUSK LANE
REDWAY
DOORS 7:30PM
SHOW TIME 8:30PM
TICKET $20/24
AGE LIMIT - ALL AGES

FRIDAY 6
THE CATALST
1011 PACIFIC AVE
SANTA CRUZ
DOORS 8:30PM
SHOW TIME 9PM
TICKET $20/25
AGE LIMIT - ALL AGES 16+

SATURDAY 7
THE MEZZANINE
444 JESSE STREET
SAN FRANCISCO
DOORS 8PM
SHOW TIME 9PM
TICKET $22/25
AGE LIMIT - 21+

SUNDAY 8
THE MYSTIC THEATRE
21 PETALUMA BLVD N
DOORS 8PM
SHOW TIME 9PM
TICKET $20/25
AGE LIMIT - 21+

MONDAY 9
THE MYSTIC THEATRE
21 PETALUMA BLVD N
DOORS 7PM
SHOW TIME 8PM
TICKET $20/25
AGE LIMIT - 16+

FRIDAY 13
SOHO
1221 STATE STREET
SANTA BARBARA
DOORS
SHOW TIME
TICKET $
AGE LIMIT - ALL AGES

SATURDAY 14
TRIBUTE TO THE LEGENDS FESTIVAL
EL FORO THEATRE
7TH & REVOLUTION
TIJUANA MX
DOORS - NOON
SHOW TIME 1PM
TICKET $
AGE LIMIT - ALL AGES

MONDAY 16
TRIBUTE TO THE REGGAE LEGENDS FESTIVAL
SAN DIEGO SPORTS ARENA
3500 SPORTS ARENA BLVD
DOORS - NOON
SHOW TIME - 1PM - 11PM
TICKET $40/61
AGE LIMIT - ALL AGES

THURSDAY 19
PIPELINE CAFE
HONOLULU OAHU HI
805 POHUKAINA STREET
DOORS 9PM
OPENING - DUBKONSCIOUS 9:30PM
SHOW TIME - 10:30PM
TICKET $23/28

SUNDAY 22
BOB MARLEY TRIBUTE FESTIVAL
LONG BEACH SPORTS ARENA
300 E OCEAN BLVD
LONG BEACH
DOORS - NOON
SHOW TIME 1PM
TICKET $55 GA FLOOR & $38 GA SEATED DAILY + SERVICE / DOS $60 FLOOR & $45 SEATED + SERVICE CHARGE
AGE LIMIT - ALL AGES

TUESDAY 24
DOWNTOWN BREWERY
111 GARDEN STREET
SAN LUIS OBISPO
DOORS 7:30PM
SHOW TIME 8PM
TICKET $18/20
AGE LIMIT - ALL AGES

THURSDAY 26
ASHKENAZ
1317 SAN PABLO STREET
BERKELEY
DOORS 8PM
SHOW TIME 9PM
TICKET $20/22
AGE LIMIT - ALL AGES

MORE DATES TBA.... DETAILS FOR SOHO SHOW TOO...
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT
RESPECT

Jah Guide & Protect
Bob Slayton
[www.onelovereggae.com]
[www.kmud.org]
Re: GROUNDATION'S 9TH ANNUAL BOB MARLEY TRIBUTE TOUR
January 08, 2009 10:32PM
This is one of my biggest problems with this band.

The BM tour concept seems extremely opportunistic, even if it's not intentional. I think it's in bad taste. Do your own stuff, if I wanna hear Bob Marley, we have the records and cds.
January 08, 2009 10:33PM
Here is the SoHo show info

FRIDAY 13
SOHO
1221 STATE STREET
SANTA BARBARA
DOORS 8PM
SHOW TIME 10PM
TICKET $18/20
AGE LIMIT - ALL AGES

Thanks again

Jah Guide & Protect
Bob Slayton
[www.onelovereggae.com]
[www.kmud.org]
January 08, 2009 10:41PM
Respect for your opinion, reggaefan, but speaking for myself, I'd have to disagree wholeheartedly with you. I've been to their early tribute shows and they are trying to give respect to the legacy of Bob Marley and the Wailers. To the degree to which they achieve that goal is a matter of personal opinion.

Speaking for myself, I love Groundation's music. I get that a lot of people just cannot stand Harrison's singing, but that is no obstacle for me -- hey, I like Neil Young as a singer, too. ;-)

Peace,
-RV
January 08, 2009 11:08PM
I agree with RV, but with no disrespect to the opinion that was voiced. Sure it's opprotunistic - it's a wondeful opportunity to continue promote/forward the good works of the legendary Bob Marley while putting a unique twist to some older material.

Groundation is not getting rich off of these shows by any means. In my opinion these shows are a celebration of what the music represents, but as always, each is their own.

Bosis
January 08, 2009 11:20PM
ReggaeFan: You talk about opportunism, but have you ever been to one of those "Bob Marley Day Festivals"? At least Groundation pays him respect in one way or another.....And wouldn't Bunny qualify as an equal opportunist for what he did (twice)...?
January 08, 2009 11:33PM
but bunny wailers has two good reasons (maybe you could call them excuses) to record two marley tribute albums (assuming thats what you mean):

1. he had credibility seeing as how he was a wailer

2. he can sing.

and

3. he did many of those songs better than the original (imo)

edit: of course that was three reasons/excuses and i think there were at least three marley tributes out of old fire stick bunny.

one love
jah bill

Post Edited (01-08-09 15:43)
January 08, 2009 11:38PM
Yeah, and there are a couple of outfits touring these dayz on the back of item #1 Jah Bill. I agree with you regarding 2 + 3, but it still smacks of opportunism to me. Especially the second post-death release.....
January 08, 2009 11:48PM
yes daniel i had forgotten about that ras tribute release (and hence the edit in my original post) but you are absolutely right, that one seemed pure opportunistic for real.

and personally while i respect fams to the max, as far as wailers go, bunny wailers has way more cred than either of those latter day wailers outfits and in fact more cred than the both of them put together. but thats probably just me.

one love
jah bill
January 08, 2009 11:59PM
Nope -- definitely not just you, JB.

Peace,
-RV
January 09, 2009 12:06AM
Look out for some possible Rockamovya shows. Hope we can get one here in Oregon....
January 09, 2009 12:10AM
Well, when you compare releases like "Rock and Groove and "Liberation" to "Jah Message", it's not hard to come to the conclusion that RV and JB have imo....
January 09, 2009 12:16AM
>Well, when you compare releases like "Rock and Groove and "Liberation" to "Jah
>Message", it's not hard to come to the conclusion that RV and JB have imo....

i would even go so far as to compare lesser releases like "Gumption" and come to the same conclusion.

and we arent even mentioning high points like "Blackheart Man".

one love
jah bill
January 09, 2009 12:19AM
I was looking at the releases after bob's passing, but would rank Blackheart Man above Survival, which is my favorite BMW release....
January 09, 2009 12:26AM
Sorry, no Rockamovya on this tour.... due to time in studio to do Bob & the Wailers music proper respect... tho "Horsemouth" knows Bob's music well...
I am always amazed at the respect that Groundation shows to Bob's music when they are on this tour,the songs of choice, & the talent of these musicians.
No disrespect is ever intended, only respect to Bob, Roots Reggae & the Most High... which has brought us all together.

Jah Guide & Protect
Bob Slayton
[www.onelovereggae.com]
[www.kmud.org]
January 09, 2009 12:28AM
Well, JB already said it, considering it is Bunny Wailer - he can do all the Wailer stuff he wants [even though I don't wanna hear it, he should do his own songs, which there are a lotta good ones]

And I know this sounds mean, and almost racist, but a bunch of white guys up there shaking it all around, slicking it up, jazzing it up, putting their own twist to the music, it means very little to me. It seems to sorta cheapen things...

And I know, I'm screwing up all this One Love stuff, I don't mean to, in a bad way.
January 09, 2009 12:35AM
Great musicians have no color.

~HIGHEST HEIGHTZ EVERY TIME~
January 09, 2009 12:40AM
We're not talking about great musicians here ---- and I sure don't wanna hear that 'they went to college to learn music' thing - that means even less.
January 09, 2009 12:45AM
My bredren John, U might not be talking about great musicians, but we others on the thread are when speaking in terms of GD. U seem to just be here to validate "your own" negative opinion?!?!

January 09, 2009 01:01AM
I don't know about the word validate Ras Smoka - nothing I need to prove, not even to myself.

What I do know, I just gotta learn to shut my mouthy fingers when it comes to groups like this. Let them do their thing and just ignore it. It's just the sign of the times, Reggae is growing, and bands like Groundation are the side result,,,,,, as much as I see it as a disservice to the music. Darn it, there I go again.

STOP, as someone else here says.
January 09, 2009 01:09AM
Smoka -- cut the brother some slack. He can respectfully and expressed his opinion. We disagree and I, for one, an OK with that.

Peace,
-RV
January 09, 2009 01:09AM
A conscious band, with upful lyrics, PHD's and Masters in their craft, giving a brand new vehicle for Bob' s music for the past 9 years, and reggae in general, collaborating with the legends to further deepen their unique root jazz stylee, a disservice!?!? Actually more of disservice to reggae music is the constant criticism of bands trying to make it in a rough biz, , (not just to suit your preconception of what good is),in the form of a thwart on their promotional attemts.

January 09, 2009 07:10AM
I have to say the last time I saw Groundation play their Marley tribute, it was excellent, superbly played and some songs that never got any play live got me moving. Some say the Wailers should "give it a rest" as they are becoming "Vegas" acts, I disagree.

Some say the Wailers died when Bob did, I disagree.

after listening to these views - I realize now that some people like myself that never got to see Bob live onstage want to experience something they never really can -except on DVD. I still have enjoyed seeing Familyman's Wailers (with who ever is singing) and I enjoyed seeing Jr. Marvin's Original Wailers this summer .

I clashed with some people that think a band like Dark Star Orchestra which recreates Grateful Dead concerts very much like the original shows as being in the worst possible taste and for someone to recreate Marley's concerts would be awful- I am not sure I agree.
I do think Groundation does a great job of playing the music, and the packed house at the last concert held at the Galaxy Theater in Santa Ana when I saw them do the Marley tribute show told me that there a tons of people who do appreciate Marley's music still and the ones still discovering have not become jaded and "over it". I thought it excellent to hear a stomping version of Mr. Brown played by actually players of instruments after hearing many of these songs played in crappy bars badly over the years by lesser talented bands.

I would rather go see Groundation play this music than to see Bunny Wailer play the same tired set over and over since 1986, how many crucial songs could Bunny have pulled out and played.

so if many people don't like this or that band, hey everyone doesn't have to agree

I might not like certain bands and there are a few that I don't get wild about, but Groundation for me is good stuff and I look forward to hearing them in Feb.
this video shot by fellow Uptown Top Ranking Host Jah T at that show illustrates
"Puss and Dog get together what wrong with loving one another"

Post Edited (01-08-09 23:32)

DJ Big Jim

Riparian Roots Weds 8-11pm KLLG 97.9 Willits, CA (2016-)
Ridgetop Ranking Reggae Radio show (2011-2016)
KMEC 105.1fm Ukiah, CA
Uptown Top Ranking DJ/HOST (1997-2010)
KUCI 88.9FM Irvine, CA
January 09, 2009 02:04PM
Man I don't get some people on here. While the majority seem to be positive and upful, whenever Groundation is mentioned a few people feel the need to tear them down.

I mean musical tastes aside (if people don't like them that is fine) some people on here just are nasty, cutting, and even question the band's integrity.

So many people on here talking but so few are willing to do anything. Here you have a band who are helping the founders of this music not by just giving them money but by putting them on stage where people can discover them.

You think it's easy or financially practical for them to bring Horsemouth out for these shows? It's not charity because he still KILLS it on the drums but they are giving him a platform to preform.

How many people were turned on to Ijahman or Pablo Moses because of Groundation. Here is one band that has made a conscious effort to educate people about the founders of this music and people still feel the need to tear them down. I just don't get it.
January 09, 2009 08:57PM
I just don't get it.

----

Hey, it's all positive now, cause we agree, I don't get it either.

And I'm not so sure I'd use that Galaxy crowd as some kind of Reggae barometer, they've been known to slurp up any & every kind of thing.

And I'm not so sure pt 2 - that youtube of them doing 'So Jah Seh', that didn't help matters much, but if that's what you wanna hear, rockandmovya...

Oh, and in the long run, yep, sticking to disservice, or as Groundation sings 'Time Will Tell'

January 10, 2009 08:47AM
beating a dead horse here, and should hold my tongue...

reggaefan says
"I know this sounds mean, and almost racist, but a bunch of white guys up there shaking it all around, slicking it up, jazzing it up, putting their own twist to the music, it means very little to me. It seems to sorta cheapen things..."

does ANYONE else want to beat the dead horse on the fact that BOB was half white? Don't make me come and beat it into your head, it's a long trip over to where-ever on the mainland you live. I usually stay out of this crap, but eeeeeeeergh....

And #2- of all the bands to be complaining about, you decide groundation is on the top of your list?
"Reggae is growing, and bands like Groundation are the side result,,,,,, as much as I see it as a disservice to the music."
I can count on two hands bands that I may fit into that category, and even if groundation is getting old to me, they are no where near the top of the list of the bands that are doing a " disservice to the music." But I won't elaborate since I got my head chewed off the last time I used the word "poser" and reggae too flippantly in the same sentence.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login