Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bitty Mc Cleans new set

Posted by Dadi Digi 
Dadi Digi
Bitty Mc Cleans new set
November 16, 2004 03:04AM
on Peckings,,,,

What can I say apart from pure brilliance. I got the LP yesterday and put simply it blew me away. Pure class.

Solid ,,, you get yours yet and what do you think ?

Level Vibes
Conscious Pilot
Re: Bitty Mc Cleans new set
November 16, 2004 04:01AM
Quality LP that Digi...start to finish!
Pilot
November 16, 2004 05:35AM
Is it all lovers style like the "walk away from love" 7 ?
solid rock
November 16, 2004 07:50AM

love it

yes skunky that pretty much sets the tone
November 16, 2004 09:55AM
Totally, totally brilliant, album of the year by miles, revivial in the greatest sense of the word - heavnly vocals, exquisite Treasure Island rhythms. Can't recommend this enough. Love it!!
ian
November 16, 2004 10:12AM
Pure revival niceness, one for all the family! ;-)
Gordon
November 16, 2004 10:29AM
It's crap.

Like my troll impersonation? :-) Superb album, 2nd best of the year behind the Jackie Mittoo tribute LP on VP.

Respect

Gordon
November 16, 2004 10:37AM
Hey Gordon, I thought you were only into Jamaican music and though all "international" reggae was rubbish.
solid rock
November 16, 2004 10:47AM

ooooooo!!!

check out daniel playing striker today!

not to defend here but i'd say this is jamaican music. peckings is as roots as it gets.

and for another unsolicited opinion, i agree that nearly all "international" reggae stinks.
November 16, 2004 10:49AM
It all sounds the same.

One love,

Rootz
solid rock
Re: the Duke
November 16, 2004 10:49AM
Gordon
November 16, 2004 10:54AM
Well living as I do in the UK, I don't class reggae made here as international. Indeed many Jamaican artists over the years have recorded in the UK and the likes of Luciano etc continue to do so for Mafia & Fluxy amongst others.

When I say I'm not a great fan of "international" reggae, I mean reggae that has to bring in outside influences such as rock guitars, techno beats and even pan pipes to appeal to "middle class whiteys".

If Midnite made an album that sounded like authentic 70s roots but in an up to date style then I'd probably buy it immediately.

I just like my reggae to sound like reggae, for the same reason I'm not a fan of bashment stuff.

Respect

Gordon
November 16, 2004 11:03AM
Well I agree that when a Luciano, Barrington, Daweh Congo records an album in the UK, that hardly makes them 'international artists'. So too, IMO i don't consider an artist such as Macka B to be an 'international artist'. But in that same vein, I don't think that the music of Nasio or Lucky Dube (older stuff) to be 'international'.

While I haven't heard Bitty's latest, i must say that UB-40 is most definately, imo, an 'international artist'
Fish
November 16, 2004 12:39PM
"If Midnite made an album that sounded like authentic 70s roots but in an up to date style then I'd probably buy it immediately."

Have you listened to "Unpolished," Gordon? I don't think these guys are the best thing since sliced bread, but I think credit needs to be given where credit is due - Midnite's sound is not at all "international" in the pop-influenced sense that we all love to hate. It's heavy and rootsy, and something entirely different from UB40-style music. Barrington Levy's shows have tons of rock guitars and even use samples of 50 Cent beats - that's way more international and pop-compromising than Midnite's sound, IMHO.
Now, if you were to accuse Midnite of being too limited in their vibe, then I might be more sympathetic. But they do not make "pop" compromises. Again, if you haven't listened to "Unpolished," I suggest you do so - it might be an eye-opener.
Fish
November 16, 2004 12:41PM
To clarify a bit more: Midnite's sound, from what I've heard, doesn't have lots of rock guitar and "pop" fringes/overproduction designed to have mass-market appeal. It's all about the drum and bass, with some (tasteful) synth playing and the standard reggae guitar on top.
Reggaemusicstore
November 16, 2004 11:19PM
There's also been a healthy development of reggae being made in mainland Europe over the past few years, notably in France. Most of the artists voicing the tunes have been visiting ones from JA or the UK, tho' a number of French artists have appeared too. French labels like Xplorer, Irie Ites, Zion Gate etc have released what to my ears is quality roots. Likewise with Cultural Warriors in Switzerland & King Shiloh in Holland. I wouldn't class any of this as International reggae, and I think we'll be seeing a lot more to come from europe as the newer scenes there develop with more & more people getting involved in production.
DG
November 17, 2004 01:06AM
Finally got my Bitty fix last night and I can tell you, rainy Wednesday morning (before setting of to work) never sounded better.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login