Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Studio 1 in dubwise session

Posted by Jack Perilous 
Jack Perilous
Studio 1 in dubwise session
November 17, 2004 11:12AM
Been concentrating on the dubwise portions of Studio 1 7's and 12's today...they often remixed and redubbed earlier tunes to wicked effect, turning rocksteady killers onto soundsystem roots stormers! I'm getting obsessed with this side of S1!

Rock fort rock Pt.1/Pt.2 - Soul Vendors - Studio 1 7"
Baby Face Pt.1/Pt.2 - Sound Dimension - Studio 1 7" (synn drum attack!)
One Love / Version (70's lick) - Wailers - Studio 1 7"
Rudie Pt. 2 - Wailers - Coxsone 7"
Drum Song Pt.2 - Devon Russell - Coxsone 7"
Rasta Kitchen (Ver) - Tippa Lee - Studio 1 7" (drum song)
Man of Creation Pt.2 - Jah Scotchie - Coxsone 7"
Frenemies Dub - K Vibes - Studio 1 7" (tonight)
Tenement Yard / Dub - Eddie Constantine - Studio 1 12" (tonight)
Money Problem / Dub - Devon Russell - Studio 1 12" (darker shade)
Minister Ver. - Rapper Robert - Studio 1 7" (Full up baddest dub) NY
Universal Rock - Jackie Mittoo - Studio 1 12" (real rock)
Mash Down Babylon - Jackie Mittoo - Stine Jac 7" (real rock)
In Cold Blood - Jackie Mittoo - Studio 1 12"
Christmas Jamboree (Ver.) - Sugar Minott - Studio 1 12"
African (Ver) - Zoot Simms - Studio 1 7" NY
The People Skanking - New Establishment - Bongo Man 7"
Ayatollah - Jackie Mittoo - Nefertiti 12"
mashdown
Re: Studio 1 in dubwise session
November 17, 2004 11:28AM
whats the dub to rockfort rock like?? shame they didnt repress this one with a version.. one of the best riddims.
Jackie Pablo
Re: Studio 1 in dubwise session / Rock Fort Rock
November 17, 2004 12:09PM
JP,
To these ears the amazing 12" 'Mash Down Babylon' sounds much closer to the melody of 'Hot Milk' than 'Real Rock'.

mashdown
check these STUDIO 1 "ROCK FORT ROCK" ers -

Rock Fort Shock - PRINCE FRANCIS
Rock Fort Dub - PRINCE JAZZBO
Rock Fort Dub - SOUND DIMENSION / NEW ESTABLISHMENT
Rock Fort Rock - SOUND DIMENSION / NEW ESTABLISHMENT

non Studio 1 crackers -

Chucky No Lucky - BIG YOUTH (Blood & Fire)
Waterhouse Rock - BIG YOUTH (Boood & Fire)
Dub Three - JOE GIBBS & The PROFESSIONALS (Joe Gibbs)
Baby I'm For Real - GLEN RICKS (Taxi)
Baby I'm For Real Version - SLY, ROBBIE, HERBIE & GITZY (Taxi)
Creation Rock - MICHAEL PROPHET (Vivian Jackson)
Creation (ver) (Vivian Jackson)
mashdown
November 17, 2004 12:35PM
i have all apart from the rockfort dub by new establishment. and dont think ive heard any of the non studio one youve listed...ive heard a modern remix which has linval singing "you can never never conquer jah" or something and some big youth shouting "HHHHEUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURGHHHHHHH"
Jack Perilous
November 17, 2004 12:44PM
The Rock fort rock Pt1 / Pt2 is absolute killer - they've overdubbed drums from freddie McGregor on the s a side and nuff spaced out dubby mix on the flip....built for sound! I would say "mash down babylon" (same as 12"...the 7" has mittoo instrumental instead of vocal but same dub) is an extention of "Rocking universally" - w williams / mittoo (universal rock is the dub - stusio 1 12 / stine jac 12 / summer records 12 with diff mix) which is definitely a cut to real rock...he has kind of reversed the bassline but mittoo was obsessed with this riddim and to my ears this is his most experimental version - bubblin and killer!!
Jackie Pablo
Re: Studio 1 in dubwise session / Rockfort Rock
November 17, 2004 12:51PM
The last issue of Rockfort Rock 7" with the dub was pressed up as
'Rock Forth Rock' / 'Rock Forth Dub' (SC 144 A / SC 144 cool smiley and it's an essential. Soul Jazz maybe should have added this dub onto the Prince Francis 10" version (which is the 7" version pressed on 10"winking smiley but they didn't or couldn't.
Jack Perilous
November 17, 2004 12:56PM
My copy of the rock fort is mislabelled as Train to skaville, and crossed out with felt pen (at S1?) think its the matrix you mention if i remember right from hunting it... yeah right, like soul jazz care about the dubs (sigh) one look at "studio 1 dub" lets you know...
mashdown
November 17, 2004 02:41PM
soul jazz is not aimed for those that listen to mainly reggae... and thats why i only own one of their releases.. there are good tunes on their releases.. but they could do a lot better for the reggae addicts... (some versions would be nice.. or since they release 12s and 10s put a bloody version on them and make them worth buying... like pk/honest jons did in the past with the superlove 10", with the half moon 10" etc etc........love.
informer
November 17, 2004 02:44PM
i know i will get hurt for this but imo studio one is overrated,
especially the dub treatment often was very poor.

and i don't want to talk about the disco-mixes anymore,
which often are terrible assembled.

never heard about counting "1,2,3,4" mr.engineer/mixer ?
Gordon
November 17, 2004 02:54PM
(sends some licks and kicks straight to the non-believer's head) :-)

Respect

Gordon
mark b
November 17, 2004 03:32PM
Got to agree with informer,when it comes to dub SI is 3rd rate.
November 17, 2004 03:37PM
Banana Walk though is one of the best dub tunes out there IMUO.
Jackie Pablo
November 17, 2004 03:53PM
The engineer / mixer at Studio 1 was/is one of the best in the business (including basic 4-track).

Any chance of mentioning the dub titles from Coxsone that you under-rate?
TR-808
November 17, 2004 04:08PM

maybe more like "version" than dubwise but i love "Prophet Part 2" which is the flip to The Ethiopians "The Prophet", and same goes for the flip to Freddie Mc's "Rastaman Camp"... and for the flip to Zoot Simms "African Challenge", and Heptones "Be A Man", and... well of course that could go and go and go. and some are more and less obvious here but i now that i look at it i guess it's not whether or not the engineer took a super active role in reworking these sides into "dubs" but is rather the original arrangement and musicianship that i appreciate all over again when stripped down and showcased a bit.
mark b
November 17, 2004 04:30PM
If you mean Sylvian Morris i rate him highly as a dub mixer but not the S1 stuff,those dub albums with the great covers but lame dub tracks.
Jackie Pablo
November 17, 2004 05:33PM
mark b -
I mean Sylvan Morris. I suppose you do too.

Are you saying you think all the Studio 1 dub albums are 'lame' without exception?
mark b
November 17, 2004 06:23PM
most that ive heard yes, for the massive S1 output its suprising , saying that love the late 60s dubplates that shaka used to play and a couple of tracks off that album peckings had withdraw for legal reason.
November 17, 2004 06:39PM
They may not appeal to everyone, as many accept the popular 70's Tubby sounds and techniques as the true dub experience, surely most of the Studio One dubs predate that, although Gordon's the expert here, I'm not certain of that factually.
November 17, 2004 09:51PM
Just recieved yesterday the "Hi Fashion Dub" LP & loved it from 1st listening (maybe because i'm familiar with almost all the riddims theresmiling smiley, excellent dub set. There are some quite boring S1 dub sets but this one & "Jucks Incorporsted Pt.1" are both great !
November 17, 2004 09:58PM
I agree with Solid:
> "is rather the original arrangement and musicianship that i appreciate all over again when stripped down and showcased a bit" <

No way Studio 1 is overrated, actually these are the foundation riddims - yeah, and I do love most of the dub stuff I know too.
November 18, 2004 02:38AM
"especially the dub treatment often was very poor"
except for the syndrums !!!!!!!!!
3pan1
November 18, 2004 04:31AM
Studio 1 dubs I prefer are
1 Juk's Inc Part two (my absolute favourite, can get really lyrical from this one)
2 Bionic Dub
3 Zodiac Sounds

Instumentals :
1 Macka Fat (indeed a crackly business the closer you get to the labels but its
original mix on Coxsone is still the one you need)
1 Im Flash Forward (the DB matrix mix !)
2 Money Maker

R o x
Fish
November 18, 2004 05:43AM
i know i will get hurt for this but imo studio one is overrated,
especially the dub treatment often was very poor.

and i don't want to talk about the disco-mixes anymore,
which often are terrible assembled.

I disagree completely. As Solid says, the dub mixes highlight the musicality of the original rhythms; it's a very different approach to dub than the more adventurous Tubbys/Jammys/Scientist/etc. mixes, and one that I think complements Studio One's style of rhythm quite well. As for the discomixes - maybe I'm crazy, but I actually have a bit of a soft spot for those cuts where the rhythm suddenly changes in character and mixing style. Hardly "skilled" in execution, but every once in a while the sudden switch has a striking effect . . .
jbwelda
November 18, 2004 05:51AM
>maybe I'm crazy, but I actually have a bit of a soft spot for those cuts where the
>rhythm suddenly changes in character and mixing style

im crazy too. well put, fish.

one love
jah bill
Professor Mushtaq
November 18, 2004 06:15AM
Roughness is toughness - I love mistakes
3pan1
November 18, 2004 08:18AM
i have heard just ONE Jammy mix sofar that got my ears wide open, at least i think it's him doing the mix because i hear that beeeeeeeep sound, or is it Niney himself still ... I Roy with the Barretts on drumnbass; 'Camp Road Skanking' !
Not bad, not bad att all !! Almost Upsetterish development of a thick soundcloud.

They may steal my 'Showdown, Vampires and Space Invaders' though
3pan1
November 18, 2004 08:38AM
'Scientific Dub' is a pleasure to listen also, much better than 'King Of Dub' imaho
informer
November 18, 2004 09:34AM
"SCIENTIFIC DUB" is an interesting album because it combines the aggrovators
with the scientist treatment. the tracks imo are all very good, too.

most other scientist albums have the roots radics playing.

from all clocktower albums king of dub has the 2nd best cover but it's not as
good as scientific dub, blackboard jungle dub or rockers almighty dub.

avoid heavy metal dub - imo terrible.

and i never really got into macka dub.

did you know that most of this CT covers were oil paintings ?
Jack Perilous
November 18, 2004 10:22AM
Author: mark b (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: 11-17-04 08:30

If you mean Sylvian Morris i rate him highly as a dub mixer but not the S1 stuff,those dub albums with the great covers but lame dub tracks.

Mark B have you checked "African rub a dub" and "dread dub store special"? these are the killer roots ones - i defy you to say (the 1st mix of) african rub a dub isn't well mixed it's an all time roots killer!! It's true, s1 don't do flying cymbals etc. but the quality of the music means you don't need all the echoes and stuff - Sylvain Morris was a master of subtley building the mix to a climax! who cares about the cuts when you get 3 mixes of a tune on 1 12" ! they took it deep! heres some 12" style that are mixed to perfection:

crabwalking - Jazzbo (including lovely synn drums)
Gates of zion - George dudley
In cold blood - Jackie mittoo
Mr Bassie - Horace andy
Take a ride - Al campbell
Tenor on the call - Tommy McCook
Shockers Rock - Tommy Mc Cook and Co (U telling me this is mixed crap????)
Push push - Lloyd and devon
Conversation - Cornell Campbell (baddest mix of this riddim out there)
mark b
November 18, 2004 12:34PM
Jack Perilous for me gates zion,ayatolla are all time great tunes but have been told many times that they are not S1 mixes,the versions of african dread,dub store i heard in the 80s thought they were boring ,take a ride classic S1, mr bassie ok,will check the others again as i gave up listening to S1 dubs after african dread. thanks mark
jbwelda
November 18, 2004 05:38PM
another great mix on 12" (i know im sounding like a broken record here, rather appropriate wouldnt you say?):

gladiators: portrait of a believer (aka happy man).

and i like the brads/clocktower heavy metal dub a lot...always did. also like those oil painting covers...wonder where the originals are?

one love
jah bill
November 18, 2004 08:29PM
I also like Heavy Metal dub a lot, but was very disappointed when I first bought (a long time ago), expecting lots of heavy guitar
aka_richie
November 19, 2004 05:05PM
<Roughness is toughness - I love mistakes>

check 'first dub', version to norma frazers 'first cut is the deepest' - simply the high frequency sliders being pushed up and down [ie/ differing tyes of hiss]... it takes about two thirds of the tune before it actually starts to catch the snare in time... sublime!

--------------------------------------------

and re. 'macka fat' - two words 'lazy bones'.
Gordon
November 20, 2004 12:41AM
The S1 dubs don't pre-date Tubby's as such Bufo as Tubby started mixing in the early 70s, around the same time that the first S1 dub album appeared. This is a question that divides many, what WAS the first dub album? Some say "Aquarius Dub", some say "Blackboard Jungle Dub". I'd go for Blackboard Jungle myself.
Back to S1, IMO African Rub A Dub is the best of the bunch, which came out in the late 70s, around 1979 I think(they don't have dates on and I'm going on memory here).

Respect

Gordon
November 22, 2004 08:54AM
dub to "Truth and rights" alone is reason enough to like this album.
Jackie Pablo
November 22, 2004 11:08AM
some add on's to J Perilous 12" 'mixed to perfection' list...

STOP CRYING - THE SILVERTONES
GIVE ME JAH JAH - SUGAR MINOTT & JACKIE MITTOO
LIVE JAH UP - KING STITT
SIR D SPECIAL - ROLAND ALPHONSO
Jack Perilous
November 22, 2004 11:36AM
Yes, Ayattolah is a Jackie Mittoo prod. which uses a UK-released riddim (UK produced??) from a write sounds 12" " get on your mark" - winston Jarrett. However, that doesn't mean Jackies bit wasn't added at S1, and it was distributed by S1 from Fulton Street NY. So it could have been an S1 overdub, but it could also have been done in Canada as any of JM's were at the time, so who know's? true it's not through and through S1, but alot of their vibes at the time wer JM anyway so not much in it. As for gates of zion, I don't believe that at all - pure S1 to the bone! (and the riddim is on "African rub a dub"...another reason to love this LP) who else would it have been?? Jackie Pablo wrote:
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login