Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Upsetter @ Black Ark - Top 3 for tonight

Posted by BMC 
BMC
Upsetter @ Black Ark - Top 3 for tonight
November 20, 2004 12:28AM
Just for tonight, I wont be able to make an all-time top 3 for this category. There's too much and I know there's also waaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much I don't have or even have heard of (as shown on: [www.smokeyroom.net]).

Just played some Black Ark tunes today and these stood out of the selection:

1) Three Pan One, A Murder - Rupie Edwards, followed by, Say A Prayer - Rupie Edwards

2) Happy Birthday Jamaica - Tony Laidley, followed by, Happy Birthday Jamaica Version (Disco Dub)- Tony Laidley

3) Stand & Look - The Fantails, followed by, Version - The Fantails

Big tunes from the Upsetter (first one dedicated to fellow Dutch-man 3pan1)! :-)
Gordon
Re: Upsetter @ Black Ark - Top 3 for tonight
November 20, 2004 12:34AM
Been playing some Scratch productions myself tonight, top 3 as follows:

The Long Way - Junior Byles
Sufferers' Time - The Heptones
Crossover - Junior Murvin

Respect

Gordon
BMC
November 20, 2004 12:35AM
Nah, I don't play Sizzla so much at all. I do rate him for some of his work, and when he hits he hits good, but that's on a rare occassion nowadays.

Can't beat the Upsetter! Well, maybe you can, but your (nick-)name has to be Coxsone then. :-)
BMC
November 20, 2004 12:43AM
I've got a bunch of those too (P.D. 12" discs), though sadly with editing errors between the vocal and dubs parts of the tunes on many tracks. Nice selections nonetheless.
November 20, 2004 12:50AM
On the Hi-Fi tonight:

Frankie Paul: Alesha (Power House LP)
Frankie Paul: Tidal Wave (Power House LP)
Half Pint: Greetings (Power House LP)
Junior Reid & Don Carlos: Firehouse Clash (Live & Learn LP)
Charlie Chaplin: Two Sides of (Ras LP)

One love,

Rootz
BMC
November 20, 2004 12:54AM
Mid 80's stylee at casa de Rootzilla! Wicked albums (I don't know Alesha though).
BMC
November 20, 2004 01:12AM
Gotta mention the Black Ark track I just played, just for being SOOOOO good:

Gregory Isaacs - Mr. Cop

(not the recent repress on African Museum though, which is a lousy repress sound-quality-wise)
Jackie Pablo
November 20, 2004 01:13AM
BMC
12" UK Attack label states Dad Brown (Fantails) STAND & LOOK is a Bunny Lee job, not Upsetter. Sounds like it might have been recorded at Black Ark.
BMC
November 20, 2004 01:21AM
I'd say this certainly sounds like the Upsetter at work, but I'm no expert, I'll leave the final verdict to either 3pan1 or Ron (if he's still around), but I'd say this is Perry all the way. I'm positive this is Black Ark though and so is Ron @ :

[www.smokeyroom.net]

The recording I have (I don't have the vinyl myself) is from a Boss 7".
Jackie Pablo
November 20, 2004 01:30AM
Jackpot Bunny Lee apes the Upsetter at Black Ark! Fatman was behind this one. Joe Gibbs @ Tubby's for that Upsetter sound. It worked!
BMC
November 20, 2004 01:39AM
Yeah, I've seen it written before (on the Trojan 12" Box Set) that this one was produced by Fatman, but to be honoust, I don't believe that. I think it's Perry and certainly Black Ark, miscredited to Fatman. If they actually were able to copy the sound, wouldn't they have done it more than just in this case (which has that clear Ark sound imo)?

In the end, whoever who produced it, the tune is lovely!
November 20, 2004 02:22AM
Alesha (first impression): The title track is obviously a killer, the rest is more uneven, some not-too-memorable tracks, some really nice ones, Power House riddims tuff all the way through.

One love,

Rootz
Fish
November 20, 2004 04:02AM
Was spinning Clancy Eccles' "Muma Yard" earlier tonight, definately a nice early Ark piece . . .
irie 1
November 20, 2004 06:04AM

must play "Down here in babylon" -by one of the Melodians singers.(i forgot his name) great tune though.
November 20, 2004 07:57AM
Brent Dowe.
Chris
November 20, 2004 08:34AM
Down Here in Babylon is one of those black ark tracks that truely endures. Stand and Look is nice, but never blew me away. Mr Cop over a sound system is amazing.
Jackie Pablo
November 20, 2004 11:40AM
STAND AND LOOK:

Meanwhile other roots aficionados were trying to copy the Black Ark's legendary sound. A concrete example of this is 'Stand & Look', a tale of dread tribulation by a Waterhouse trio called the Fantails, led by a certain Dad Brown; the song was pressed on a seven-inch on the Boss label in Jamaica, and cut as an extended mix on a Trojan Attack disco in the UK in 1979. When North London sound system operator Fatman heard the group singing on a street corner, he built a rhythm for them at Joe Gibbs studio, which the group then voiced at King Tubby's; according to Fatman, he requested that Tubby make use of a phaser in an effort to emulate Perry's Black Ark Sound.

[from "PEOPLE FUNNY BOY" - David Katz ]
3pan1
November 20, 2004 11:53AM
'Stand & Look' is Upsetter.
'Me Mommy Yard' isn't Ark.
3pan1
November 20, 2004 12:10PM
now we're on it ... these aren't either:
King Pharoah/Love and Unity - Shorty the President (heavy Tubby's Chanel 1 !) on Advance
The Earth is the Fullness - Mike Brooks on Harvest
Meaning Of Life - Barry Heptone on Morwell Esq.
Natty Plant It - Star on Hiori (a Rupie Edwards outlet)

the oracle has spoken.
Jackie Pablo
November 20, 2004 01:28PM
"STAND AND LOOK" IS NOT UPSETTER !!!

There are many sound reasons given as to why you are not correct on this one.

1 - THE acknowledged Upsetter expert D Katz (he gave detailed reasons why and had interviewed all the people involved).
2 - The Trojan Attack 12" release confirmed this.
3 - The Trojan Box set confirmed this.
4 - The Boss 7" confirmed this.
5 - It certainly sounds like an attempt to sound like the Upsetter, but that's as far as it goes.

The Boss label in Jamaica was a Fatman label and had nothing to do with the Upsetter.

The A side of the Trojan Attack 12" carried the other single associated with Fatman's JA Boss label:
"BORN FREE" - Michael Rose & Jammy - produced by Fatman (over a Vivian Jackson rhythm). Dave Hendley recently clarified this (on the B&F board) when the question arose as to how "Born Free" ended up on "Jesus Dread".

Fatman's 'Boss' label and UK issues have certainly led certain people into confusion over the details! Like D Katz said, that was Fatman's intension.

3pan1
I would be interested to hear your reasonings on why you think you're right on this one.
mashdown
November 20, 2004 02:32PM
3pan1: do you have "natty plant it" ??!! ive oonly heard a few seconds of it... but love it!
3pan1
November 20, 2004 02:46PM
yes Efta, don't know where tho, i suspect in this case Dave fall for the drummachine, a funny tune fe true.
had to have a listen to several of them supposed by Prof Katz but stopped trying after 5 or 6 for obvious reasons ...

Jackie Pablo
1 Katz is no acknowledged Upsetter expert, a self declared maybe; he doesn't have the ability to distinguish Upsetter sound or even Ark studio from other sounds/studios, so the only thing he could do is write down what others told him, a journalist without musical background but a certain need for fame and mentioned acknowledgment.
Fatman ? Jammy ??
2t/m5 no logic consequences whatsoever derive from these "reasons /arguments", i.o.w. use your own ears to pull conclusions (if you have that quality offcourse) and stop taking all you read as facts.
Study longer on the subject Jackie, like i did with fellow Upsetter collectors, listen and reason for more than 30 years.
BMC
November 20, 2004 03:06PM
My not-even-close-to-expert views on these points are (the "listen and reason for more than 30 years" 3pan1 mentions is not even close to what I did, since I haven't even been on planet earth that long :-) ):

1 - THE acknowledged Upsetter expert D Katz (he gave detailed reasons why and had interviewed all the people involved).

I read the book. From what I've heard, and what 3pan1 confirms, is that he's not so much of an expert at all, but is a pretty good journalist. I think he is an expert in knowledge about Perry's personal life, but not in knowledge about the music.

2 - The Trojan Attack 12" release confirmed this.

JA releases are full of miscredits, mislabelled etc. A label is hardly a proof.

3 - The Trojan Box set confirmed this.

Because they copied the info on the 12", which makes it the same as argument 2.

4 - The Boss 7" confirmed this.

Idem.

5 - It certainly sounds like an attempt to sound like the Upsetter, but that's as far as it goes.

To me it clearly sounds like *the* Upsetter at *the* Black Ark.

Another argument that's against the Fatman theory is the one I mentionned before. The Ark sound and Perry production were quite popular then, right? So if they actually were able to copy Perry's sound, isn't it a bit weird they only did it on this very release and immediately exactly copied the sound and never tried again afterwards? I can't believe that.
3pan1
November 20, 2004 03:56PM
right BMC, i couldn't have put it better meself ha ha ...
this still tho,
maybe the Ark sounds were not as popular as other studios at the time, but allready then the Black Ark was kind of sacred place, it had a litterary status for all musicians which could lead to some jealous feelings amongst other mixers ...

Ron has put it best i think by saying : "No questions asked ..."
Jackie Pablo
November 20, 2004 06:09PM
3pan1 /BMC

Thanks for the viewpoints.

There are a few things needing clarification:

You know nothing about David Katz' listening ability and even if you did that has nothing to do with the record in question.

Perry's life was his music. No arguement about that.

This track never showed up on any Upsetter release because it had nothing to do with the Upsetter. Fact.

Mis-credits is not the issue as the record was released by Fatman on his own label. Fact.

No more records were forthcoming BMC due to the fact Fatman did not remain in Jamaica and returned to England. Maybe had no desire to ape the sound further anyway.

If I really believed all that I read, like you say, I would not have queried your assumptions.

I have been listening (with my own ears) to Jamaican music as long or longer than yourself and am surprised with your comments "use your own ears to pull conclusions...." You are the one(s) pulling the conclusions without any evidence whatsoever.

Do I detect a bit of jealousy over the success of "People Funny Boy"? Maybe you should put your own Upsetter book.

Some good advice: When you are wrong, don't say you are right.

Regards
JP

The Fatman "theory" is afact you are not prepared to accept. Fatman was not based for a long enough time to do others.
BMC
November 20, 2004 06:53PM
JP,

Just some thoughts in reply. I'm not gonna argue about a tune, so no offence intended from this side.

There are various theories to think of that could explain the situation. No facts, guesses. I mean, what if Perry licensed the tune to Fatman for release and he eventually released it with his credits, something he kept on stating because he liked the idea? What if Perry sold the tune to Fatman with the same scenario? Maybe Fatman stole the tune from Perry? Etc.

You're evidence is not evidence either, certainly conscidering where it took place.

As for him leaving to the UK. He surely wasn't the only one there in the studio when they 'exactly' created that later Black Ark sound? So he told no-one, no-one in the studio knew and no-one felt the need to recreate that sound again, to show that Perry maybe wasn't so special with his sound? Didn't happen. I'd say that's weird to say the least.

"Perry's life was his music. No arguement about that."

Yeah, but if you read the book, there's lots of pages about Perry going on tour, Perry's family, Perry's talks with Katz etc. Those pages are about the life of Perry outside the studio and unrelated to his productions, of which Katz certainly knew less.

"You know nothing about David Katz' listening ability and even if you did that has nothing to do with the record in question."

I don't have experiences with that, true, but I do know stories. I'm not involved in it and all, but do you honoustly think Katz had all the material at hand already when he wrote the book? And the entire discography and everything is told to him by the artists and musicians? No way, he got lots of info from visits to Perry collectors all over the world. Maybe the same Perry collectors 3pan1 is talkin' about? Don't assume something you don't know either.

Again. I have no facts and base all my ideas on what I hear (in this case quite an important observation) and what I hear is Black Ark and Perry. You apparantely not. I'm no expert as said and just wrote what I think, as you did. 3pan1 *is* a Perry expert, so all factual info etc I'll leave to him.

I guess we just have to agree to disagree here.

"Some good advice: When you are wrong, don't say you are right. "

Sorry to say, but that's a stupid remark. You nor me don't know for a fact who's right, so that remark makes no sense.

BMC
Fang Sheng
November 20, 2004 06:58PM
Is Fatman (the producer) the same Fatman who now runs the restaurant in London? If he is, can someone who knows him please ring him up so he can confirm or deny this, then we can all rest easy!

Thank you

BMC
November 20, 2004 07:01PM
That wont help if it's him, F.S., because according to Katz, he says it's his job in another studio, something I find hard to believe (especially the studio-part).
BMC
November 20, 2004 07:02PM
Ps. I don't think anyone is loosing any sleep over this, so don't worry about the easy rest.
Fang Sheng
November 20, 2004 07:08PM
I'm certainly not loosing any sleep over it - it's 7.00 in the evening!

;^)

November 20, 2004 08:00PM
Top 3 upsetting tunes of the last days :

Horace Martin - Unity

King Burnett - I Man Free

Peter & Paul Lewis - Ethiopian Land
BMC
November 20, 2004 08:12PM
My three for today (and among my all-time favourite Perry productions):

Eric Donaldson - Freedom Street

Horace Smart - Ruffer Ruff

Junior Murvin - Solomon

(I guess we can safely say these are 100% Black Ark and Perry! :-) ).

Love that I Man Free tune, Skunkride!
Fish
November 20, 2004 08:12PM
Another thought on Stand and Look - I got in a discussion with Ron about this tune and the question of its origin at the Black Ark. In addition to its downright perfect "imitation" of all the nuances of late-70s Ark sound, he mentioned some other touches that suggested its Perry origin; the only one I can remember is that he claimed Earl and Barry of the Heptones were on backing vocals - I don't have good enough ears to confirm or deny this, but if it's true, then it does add evidence that it would be a a Perry work.
More pertinently, he said Katz's information about the tune came from when he was going around interviewing "heavyweight" collectors for more information; one of them told him it was a Fatman tune and so it was put in the book. Again, I'm in no position to confirm or deny this, but if that's true, then Katz's claim should be viewed with a great deal of suspicion.
As for the labels - plenty of Scratch tunes, even brilliant ones, came out on non-Upsetter labels (just take a look at Ron's Upsetter discography for evidence of this!).

But for me, the best evidence is just the song itself - the rhythm has the cadence and "feel" of many of Scratch's other original rhythms from the time, the keyboard's role in the song and some of the percussion sounds sound like charactaristic Scratch, and the dub mix is dead-on Scratch style, from the way in which the rhythm "swirls" and pulses to the ways in which he brings in and echos out snippets of the vocals . . . would a one-off imitator, making only one tune like this, really be able to imitate the sound so completely and so perfectly? It seems a lot harder to believe that a perfect imitation was made than to believe that it was a Scratch production released on a different label and that somewhere along the line, someone got confused by this . . .

You seem pretty attached to your own viewpoint, Jackie Pablo. Why tell Rox and BMC to "accept that they are wrong?" Why do you say that they have "no evidence" when they've given reasons for what they believe? You're fast to declare things as "facts" that aren't necessarily so - it may be a fact that it didn't come out on an Upsetter label, but with so many other Upsetter productions on non-Upsetter labels, you can't extend this to make it a "fact" that the song was unrelated to Perry. Why not actually *discuss* the evidence for and against, rather than refuse to acknowledge any evidence supporting a viewpoint other than your own?
BMC
November 20, 2004 08:23PM
Damn, I could sure use some of your writing-skills, Fish! Well said.
Jackie Pablo
November 20, 2004 08:41PM
BMC,
I appreciate your responses. We agree to disagree.

Any chance you could kindly explain why you believe 3pan1 is the Upsetter "expert". He has not given one example of expertise on this one. An expert would have had the ability to clear this one up with a few factual details.

The remark "When you are wrong, don't say you are right" was directed at 3pan1.

Trojan have been strongly involved with the Upsetter for 35 years or so. They even set up Upsetter UK for his releases. You would think they would know a thing or two about what they issue on Trojan UK Attack, especially if one of their top sellers was involved. "Stand And Look" does fall short of any winners I've heard from the Black Ark. Having said that, it's certainly is a good track no matter what. It's positive though that the passion for accuracy is shared with others.

Repect
JP
BMC
November 20, 2004 08:58PM
I've been in good contact with Ron for a little while about a year ago. Ron, as in the maker of that Perry website I linked above. He's in my eyes a Perry expert as I've seen when we met in person and know from our conversations and his contributions to the B&F board about it. He, 3pan1 (a friend of Ron) and one or a few others are a group of Perry collectors with a knowledge and fine-tuned ear for Scratch that it's almost scary. Not that he has to proof himself, but 3pan1 showed on numerous occassions on the B&F board that he's an expert (I'm not saying *the* expert, but *a* expert) something Ron told me before. You don't have to believe me, but I'll tell you that these guys KNOW their Upsetter.
Jackie Pablo
November 20, 2004 10:21PM
fish
all info is appreciated. I am as curious as any to get maximum info on this one.
I have full respect for anyone who does more than their bit for the music they evidently love (ie: website creators).

BMC
"fine tuned ears" does not mean you are an expert but I fully understand what you mean.

Maybe this one should go over to the Trojan board now and see what comes out in the wash ?
Jackie Pablo
November 20, 2004 10:32PM
Oh yeah, that's a great site guys. Well done!!

If I find anything I disagree with should I let you know?

BMC
That little dancer knows a thing or two. Very enjoyable!
BMC
November 20, 2004 10:56PM
" "fine tuned ears" does not mean you are an expert but I fully understand what you mean."

Ok, but to be sure, I mean for recognizing Scratch' involvement in a tune. What makes them experts is their overall knowledge on Scratch's music, of which that fine tuned ears is just a part.

Yeah, I love that little dancer too, so.....

It looks so cool! :-)
BMC
November 20, 2004 10:59PM
"If I find anything I disagree with should I let you know?"

I'm sure they will be more than willing to tell you you are wrong, J.P. :-)
Ron
November 20, 2004 11:03PM
Here's a portion of David's interview with Fatman. David sent me this a while ago, when we were having the same discussion. (I hope you don't mind, David?!)

Who is Dad Brown?

Dad Brown is the lead singer for the Fantails.

Is that his real name?

Dad Brown, yeah. Fantails was three guys, when I go to Jamaica, some good talents.

Where were they from?

Waterhouse.

Who were the other two guys?

Just two friends.

You don’t know their names?

No. Dad Brown is a good friend of my brother Everal.

Is he involved in music?

No, he’s in other business. I heard them singing on a corner.

When were you down there? That came out in ‘79.

Yeah, it was about... ‘77, something like that. We record it in, the tracks was done in Joe Gibbs, and it was recorded [voiced] at King Tubbys.

Does it have a Black Ark connection at all?

No. The flanger that you hear is a creation of something from Black Ark, but it was done in Tubbys.

Lee Perry didn’t have anything to do with it?

No.
It wasn’t even Tubby, it was Scientist.

Yeah, I wasn’t on the session when they lay the rhythm, I was at the session where we lay the voice and finish, at Tubbys.

Everybody thinks that’s a Black Ark rhythm.

Everybody thinks a lot of things, heh heh heh heh.

Did you ever do stuff at Black Ark, or did you have any connection there?

No, the only connection I had at Black Ark was dubs for the sound. I got a lot of dub specials in the Black Ark studio, all the tracks that made in Black Ark, Scratch Perry would remix them for Fatman style, special...
BMC
November 20, 2004 11:16PM
What is basically what he summarized in People Funny Boy in the piece J.P. quoted above.
Jackie Pablo
November 21, 2004 01:08AM
Now I know what two revive records will hit the deck tonight!
Thanks for that re-run BMC!
mashdown
November 21, 2004 10:00AM
SHOW ME SHOW ME HOW
Jack Perilous
November 23, 2004 12:39PM
Civilization - The Classics - Punch
River - Zap Pow - Zap Pow
Tedious - Jnr Murvin - Orchid
Give thanks / herb vendor - Delroy Butler / Horse mouth - Demon
Mash Down - Roots - Roots
3pan1
November 23, 2004 02:14PM
woow Jack you have Give Thanks on Demon ...
that's classy !

R o x
3pan1
November 23, 2004 03:01PM
Black Bird - Little Roy Earth
Feeling Right - Susan Cadogan Lucky
Domino Game - Upsetters Dip
Loraine - Eric Clarke Tesfa
Happyness Is Loving You - Tyrone Taylor Micron
Jackie Pablo
November 23, 2004 06:50PM
LP
SCRATCH & COMPANY CHAPTER 1
(unauthorised Clocktower compilation with great and interesting remixes by Brad Osbourne)
jbwelda
November 23, 2004 07:28PM
>Everybody thinks a lot of things, heh heh heh heh.

exactly my thoughts.

sounds to me like fatman knows what he is talking about.

>SCRATCH & COMPANY CHAPTER 1
>(unauthorised Clocktower compilation with great and interesting remixes by
>Brad Osbourne)

and what makes you think this is "unauthorized" if i may ask?

one love
jah bill
Jackie Pablo
Re: Upsetter @ Black Ark - PEOPLE FUNNY BOY
November 23, 2004 09:00PM
"Scratch got real angry when you saw SCRATCH & COMPANY CHAPTER 1 for the first time. Chapter 1 is the result of Brad going through tapes that Scratch sent him over different periods of time, compiling the tracks, and I think that's what pissed him (Scratch) off....Brad compiled it without asking......."

The above is from the book "The Genius Of Lee "Scratch" Perry PEOPLE FUNNY BOY" by David Katz (again!).

Get yourself a copy of this essential book Bill. A reggae obsessive's bible (Mojo)
Jackie Pablo
November 23, 2004 10:10PM
oops! that should be
>"Scratch got real angry when he saw SCRATCH & COMPANY CHAPTER 1.....<
jbwelda
November 23, 2004 10:46PM
i already read it but i take everything scratch perry says with a large grain of salt.

and i like when he gets mad for the same sort of thing he does (eg: marley being sold to trojan).

personally i thought the book made scratch seem like a real jerk, for the most part.

but thanks for the quote...i remember that now.

one love
jah bill
3pan1
November 24, 2004 04:23AM
wadda ya say to THAT Jaqui ?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login