Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Troubled voyage in calm weather

Posted by Chris Graham 
Troubled voyage in calm weather
November 21, 2004 06:52AM
Mildly surprised to see my list of 10 Incredible String Band songs and my paean to a sequence featuring The Maytals in "The Harder They Come" subject to the censor's red card. I acknowledge that these are deeply imflammatory subjects but I can't help feeling that excluding them from the forum is taking a sledgehammer to crack a hazelnut. As a librarian, I have a professional obligation to oppose censorship; that is the librarian's equivalent of the hippocratic oath. Also, as an individual, I have an implacable objection to it. I accept that when you visit someone's house, you are duty-bound to observe the house rules but I was unaware that indicating (in perfectly civil language) one's affection for Toots singing "Sweet and Dandy" broke them. I'll get my coat.
Gordon
Re: Troubled voyage in calm weather
November 21, 2004 07:00AM
Even Penny's posts were non-offensive.

Just a dozen or so top 10 lists.

Talk about kicking a bloke when he's down.....

Respect

Gordon
Free I
November 21, 2004 07:35AM
Maybe your list was too grumpy Chris, you're in america now remember. Have a nice day y'all.
Big Bad John
November 21, 2004 08:12AM
Well said Chris, but please don't get your coat. Maybe the Mr man added something on and we did not get a chance to read it?
November 21, 2004 08:30AM
Daniel gave Penny several warnings, all of which were ignored by Penny. There's only so far that unilateral reason can go.

One love,

Rootz
Gordon
November 21, 2004 11:03AM
Rootz, Penny only posted some top 10 lists this time.

There was nothing illegal as far as I could see.

Gordon
November 21, 2004 11:54AM
No. But Daniel's given Penny a lot of warnings, and I understand it's easier to just delete everything than actually go through everything he posts (quite often a lot). I mean, I understand why he doesn't want to put any more effort into it, he told Penny to cool it several tiimes and Penny completely ignored him. So why should Daniel try to be co-operative any more? He tried it and it didn't work. I'm sure he has better things to do than screen Penny's postings.

One love,

Rootz
November 21, 2004 12:40PM
>i* find dis board pretty damm liberal compared with many other popular message boards on da web even while every dog haz it'z day, try & find a differnt appoarch to get whatever obserd or non message u have. i* bet if u uze your mind u will be able to get words out with or without bothering any1 to much. mean while get to kno sum of the people who mite care*(NO dats not a order*,just suggestion*)
-RASpects+
November 21, 2004 12:47PM
The cloakroom door was locked so I couldn't get my coat. Bit discourteous of me that and not a little melodramatic, sorry.

I take your point on the limits of reason, Rootz (reductio ad absurdum and all that). And I also appreciate that the moderator must be understandably twitchy after what befell the B&F forum. However, it seems to me that the solution adopted here to the "problem" of Penny's posts is just as you point it: a matter of administrative convenience - ie jettison the lot rather than moderate them. I'm sorry, but if one has better things to do with ones time, then one shouldn't accept a position (even an unpaid one). It can scarcely be onerous, once a day, to scan posts headed "The Man". It took me all of 60 seconds to check all of Penny's posts earlier today and decide that I wanted to contribute to two of them. How long would it have taken me to check and delete any potentially libellous ones? Probably no longer than it took to delete all of them (together with the replies).
November 21, 2004 01:09PM
Jahmeek, I do not doubt the liberality of this forum and have been grateful for the freedom afforded. I was merely referring to what struck me as the inflexible and unnecessarily illiberal approach to Penny Reel's (The Man's) posts. Blocking all of Penny's posts appears heavy-handed to say the least and, as I said above, seems to me a lazy solution born of administrative convenience. My original post may have been driven more than it should have been by my irritation at having my own (admittedly inane but completely harmless) contributions censored.
November 21, 2004 01:37PM
The time spent is not the main point. The main point is this: why do you feel Daniel owes Penny the courtesy of treating him just like any other poster after his numerous inappropriate postings and several warnings he's ignored? I see no problem letting Penny's non-libelous stuff up, but I don't expect Daniel to be interested in weeding thru them considering the circumstances. I mean, you usually give second (or in this case third or fourth or what?) chance to somebody who has indicated that they realise they got it wrong the first time around.

But that's enough of me speculating.

One love,

Rootz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login