Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Roots, Rock, Reggae

Posted by La Luna 
Roots, Rock, Reggae
March 17, 2004 01:35PM
I hope that SNWMF doesn't turn into ROTR, where the line up strays so far from good reggae, that I don't bother going. THis year the line up is still excellant, and much better than ROTR. But, I remember like four years ago when the line up was MASSIVE for pure Reggae Ites.
Gladiators
Prince Buster
Yabby U
U ROy
CLinton Fearon
Big Youth
WHoah!! and if we could add
Queen Omega
Midnite
Yami Bolo
Jah Cure
Jah Stitch
Jah Mali
Sugar Minot
Turbulance
Sizzla
...and have the whole show mixed by the Scientist and Mad PRoffesor.....

I'm NOT complaining, I'm just saying....I like my reggae STRICKLY REGGAE! It's not just music, it's WORD SOUND and POWER for me, HIGHER HEIGHTS.

(I also want to complimant SNWMF for keeping the grounds clean and the porta potties changed twice daily. CLeanliness is next to Godliness.) THis is also why I prefere this reggae festival to others.

GIve THanks for the Blessings.

Post Edited (03-17-04 16:38)

Love Right, Live Right
Re: Roots, Rock, Reggae
March 17, 2004 05:47PM
Hey - How many times do you want to see the same line up? Dont get me wrong but i love them too. but diversity is nice ya?
Dont forget rotr is NON-PROFIT!

Jah Bless - ndo- humbolt
March 17, 2004 05:49PM
Author: Teresa (204.126.64.---)
Date: 03-09-04 22:33

You guys are spoiled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I do believe the title of this CONCERT is
Sierra Nevada WORLD music that means, ALL kinds of music. I am very open minded and would like to see WORLD music. Just because the promoters have kinda stuck to mostly REGGAE doesn't mean that other kinds of music doesn't exist. Or that other people wouldn't like to hear something from a band that has brought so much to the music world. The Peter Rowen set last year was something that blew me away. I left the press tent with an arm full of stuff to pass out to the crowd (Lee Scratch Perry Posters, and some promotional materials from off the table there) and by the time I got up the hill he was on the 2nd or 3rd song and I had to stop and turn around and check out who was on stage. I thought that someone else slipped in there. He was awesome. I have heard him several times before but he really made me stop and really pay attention. It helps to have such a flexible band like FULLY FULWOOD'S to get yr point across. I had the honor of going back stage to get him for an interview in the PRESS TENT after the show. WORLD MUSIC gives everyone a chance to hear new stuff.Keep an open mind...
Thanks for backin me baby!! jah bless -

March 17, 2004 08:09PM
"where the line up strays so far from good reggae" - I can't imagine that you and I are looking at the same line-up. Have you listened to many of the bands coming to the show this year.

"I'm NOT complaining, I'm just saying....I like my reggae STRICKLY REGGAE!" - Seriously, 20 of the 25 announced artists are reggae (or ska). There will be a crucial artist on one or both of the stages at all times. The only thing you should (NOT) complain about is the great reggae you are going to miss when you are watching an even better artist on the other stage. I can also guarantee you that Femi Kuti and Michael Franti will have the crowd bumping when they play.

"Dont forget rotr is NON-PROFIT!" - Unfortunately, this has not been the case for several years now. This is why the ticket price has about doubled to $150 in the last 6 years. At least the line-up for ROTR does appear like it will be very strong this year (Bunny Wailer, Midnite, Nasio, Capleton, Steel Pulse, Easy Star All-Stars so far). It looks to me like this will be the best summer for reggae in Cali in a long time. Give Thanks!
March 17, 2004 11:48PM
It's all good, but hey there is some great Reggae all over the world..BRING IT ON TO SNWMF!!!!. Yes I, Brazilian Reggae: Zeca Baleiro, Chico Cesar, Rita Ribeiro...African Reggae: Alpha Blondy, Lucky Dube, Rocky Dowuni... Reggae en Espanol: Pericos, Mnau Chao, Gondwana, Cafres, Fidel

Mexican Rasta

"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery none but ourselves can free our minds." Bob Marley
Pale Ryder
March 18, 2004 08:36AM
Man I wish I could have experienced Reggae on the River before it became Ravers on the River, wit all dat coke and x, it really makes me not want to go. I used to know many of the volunteers, and they would get pretty doped up if you know what I mean. I know this probably happens at Sierra on a smaller scale, but I still think that ROTR is a crucial venue, and I would like to return....
March 18, 2004 08:57AM
Yea, I Had that same wish, My Father knows some of the ravers who "Rave"
on the river, ive met a few and I must say. Some people really do get lost in the drug sceen. The people who dont get the reggea vibe at all! they see it as relaxing music, Nothing more.

Yet... Im verymuch looking forword to The FESTIVAL This year., To me the line ups are minor, Im looking forword to the unity and love from complete strangers.
=) But don't get me wrong. I Love and give grave respect to the artist that perform at the fest. and the artists that learn from it!
Without this positive influence on my life id be nowere near the person I am today nor the artist i am today! Thank you people for showing me the peaceful way.
Much love to thoses who make this happen, Much much respect.
Thank you -PKW.
Pale Ryder
March 18, 2004 09:30AM
Prince Kali, where you from??
March 18, 2004 01:15PM
Hey, I'm not complaining. I just prefere SNWMF to ROTR for the cleanliness reason, the better reggae line up, the decent price of the tickets, and also the alcohol, x, coke reason that was brought up. If I could only go to one of the two, it would be SNWMF. The vibe is more IRIE there.

IRIE!!!

Love Right, Live Right
March 18, 2004 01:17PM
>>"Dont forget rotr is NON-PROFIT!" - Unfortunately, this has not been the case for several years now. This is why the ticket price has about doubled to $150 in the last 6 years. At least the line-up for ROTR does appear like it will be very strong this year (Bunny Wailer, Midnite, Nasio, Capleton, Steel Pulse, Easy Star All-Stars so far). It looks to me like this will be the best summer for reggae in Cali in a long time. Give Thanks!<<

GIve thanks,
Could you explain more about the profit changes for ROTR? Why do they keep raising the prices every year?

Love Right, Live Right
jb welda
March 18, 2004 04:09PM
you should probably post that question on the rotr message board where it can be ignored in the appropriate forum. this particular message board should not devolve into a "why i love/hate rotr" forum.

one love
jah bill
March 18, 2004 04:34PM
I agree 100% with what you say Jah Bill:

this particular message board should not devolve into a "why i love/hate rotr" forum.

Too much of the 'competitive vibes' going around. Each festival has it's own pluses and minuses. Let's not dwell on the next festival's minuses, but work to add even more pluses to this year's festival.
Pale Ryder
March 18, 2004 04:36PM
True, take heed to those words...I won't slip up again.......
March 18, 2004 05:25PM
Hogwash! Competition is good for the fans. If festivals pay attention to the pulse of the fans(like it seems Sierra has been), they will try to improve the facets of their festivals that are being criticized. That includes the venue, music, vibes, etc. If they do not(like it seems the River hasn't), then they get what is happening to the River which is a sharp increase in criticism and loss of loyalty. I'm a little stunned that you guys would try to regulate such a discussion. After all the fans have to pay their way. Don't feel bad Pale Ryder, I feel the same way you do about it. I'm all for positive discussion, but truth is truth and let it be told. Try not to look at it as a competition Daniel, but as an eye into the future. A lot of people in their criticisms are also expressing hope that this festival and others like it do not go down the same path that the River has and that is very important. Reggae on the River is a truly wonderful place to be, but when people start barfing on your tent in the middle of the night or a group of spun out guys start to grope a girl in the middle of the crowd, it makes people start to think of their alternative venues regardless of music quality. So when I compare the River to Sierra or criticize the River for things I'm seeing, I AM discussing Sierra's pluses and singing its praises, while at the same time expressing my hope that it retains the integrity that so many love about it.

fourtwentyplenty
Stevo
March 18, 2004 05:41PM
Right.
There are those who have seen the progression of ROTR over the years, and those who haven't. I have, and I am guilty of running down the recent vibes with my harsh criticism. But, I have to reason that the decline of positive magic at ROTR is most definately real. The only thing is...by bad mouthing the festival,
I might just inadvertently disuade the future generations who have the power to change the vibes from attending. I've said my piece about the river. Although I'm sure this subject won't be laid to rest any time soon. I'm going to shut up about it for now, cause the vibes are for the most part, "right" on this board, and I can see how dwelling on the near loss of something we love can turn the vibes.
Nuff Love to all of you who have been on this board in these early months of anticipation. ALL OF YOU!!!
As Max Romeo-"One Step Forward" bust out a mi stereo. Quite relevant.
Irie Ites
-Stevo
Pale Ryder
March 19, 2004 08:41AM
I think we should all get together, I mean all of us from the board and hangout, maybe sip a tall one, or pack up the chalise and come down to someone's camping spot or something to the effect. Is that a lame proposition? If so, oh well call me a lame ass.....
jb welda
March 19, 2004 08:49AM
plenty, my point is, go to the rotr board to rag on rotr. dont do it here. understand, that is only my opinion and i dont have power to enforce things here. but its rude to talk behind peoples back and thats what it is when people talk smack about rotr here. go to where it might count (though its possible you will be ignored there). there is no point in engaging in discussions here about why rotr charges what they do or books who they do. a word to the wise should be sufficient (but often seems to not be)

one love
jah bill
March 19, 2004 09:19AM
-PR- Im born and raised in Concord california where I live today, Im a junior in highschool, 17 years old, male and most definitly the only kid at my nagative school with a universol aspect on life itself., Makes me long for this even more
=)
March 19, 2004 09:28AM
Absolutly wounderfull suggestion Pale Ryder. Though how would we find all of eachother with thousands of people in our views?
Inless.....We all make big flags with our screen names on them and trot around the camp's! LOL j/k but hey it could work, id definitly like to meet and raise spirits with all of you.

I think that would be wounderful. =)
Easyer said than done.
=)

Happy Trails
Pale Ryder
March 19, 2004 12:09PM
Prince Kali, good to know that there are some conscious youth out there man, I am only 11 years older, but when I was your age I felt like I was the only one in my town that was into reggae, and treading lightly on this great earth. While my friends made fun of my choice in music, I was just patient, and I have just about converted the whole a dem to Jah Music. If you are serious about chillin with me napabink, and forwardzion, I am sure we could find an easy way to do so. We could meet somewhere at a specific time or something. Keep your positive mind flourishing........
March 19, 2004 12:47PM
Thank you fourandtwenty! Let's have opinions and express them, let's speak up about what is working and what isn't! Why does this have to be perceived as negative, when it fact it is the work to maintain the positive?
I grew up in Mendocino County. I was going to ROTR when I was 8 years old. I grew up around that festival, if anyone has seen the massive changes it is the people who live in Mendo and Humbolt and the animals who live in and by the river. There is always TONS of trash left unsorted, untended, and for someone else to deal with. At SNWMF I see volunteers walking around during the day picking up trash that was left by some rude person. I think this creates an environment that makes people more aware about their surroundings.
I appreciate this attention to detail and commend SNWMF for addressing these small, but very important details.
Why are people getting so defensive? If there is any negativity it is from those who wish to jump on someone for having an opinion that might be different from theirs.
Once again, for those who are slow or just looking for reasons to be defensive;
Reggae music is about Irie Vibes, Cleanliness, Holiness...not XTC, Alcohol, Cocaine, and oblivion to ones surroundings. I love Reggae Festivals because it is a mass meeting of the minds. And, from one who has been to ROTR many times since she was a little girl, the vibes have changed. It seems it is more geared towards money and people from the city who have it. I hope that SNWMF stays one up, in my humble opinion, because the environment is clean and the line up is WICKED everytime!!!

RESPECT to all good deeds.

Love Right, Live Right
March 20, 2004 07:03PM
Yeah Prince Kali, the three of us are camping together and it would be Irie to hang, It is easy to meet up. Cell phone don't work to well out there unfortunally but you can make some calls if you find the right place, and anyway I got a couple of 2-way radios that have a 2 mile range plus have sub channels, if you don't have one you can pick one up for $20 or less and we can use our screen names to communicate! No flags needed, LOL! Just make sure it has sub-channels as many people use these radios at the fest. If anyone for that matter wants to hook up let's designate a channel and sub channel for all the phorum people to communicate on and use our screen names!!! that would be Irie.
March 21, 2004 12:00PM
- La luna -

The music is still the same - still the vibe and the sounds - I myslef have been goin to rotr for Many Years - any my children will go as well - cocaine and tobaco and booze has ALWAYS been there and Never Will go away. only the true vets. of rotr know NOT to bring such devices of the devil. Spread the knolege of the rastaman and the vibration and they will change on there own. Sponsor someone thats new to the show/seen and walk them towards the light of Jah.

The vibe hasent changed at all Always the Same!
no dread olin
Jah Bless!

March 22, 2004 10:05AM
Puts a smile on my face=) Im down!!!
I got two - two way walkie talkies with 2mile reach as well- I think that would be a very good idea, Im going with KingCaliWolf and 4, of my best friends from my school- The other positive ites i hang with., its there first year this year and i think the best year yet!

I May not have much time alone, lol but we should definitly meet up and chat
and I for one of many will be expressing my joy of being.... at the festival!
Sounds good Guys, Keep on the feedback!
PEACE!
March 22, 2004 11:19AM
>>Spread the knolege of the rastaman and the vibration and they will change on there own. Sponsor someone thats new to the show/seen and walk them towards the light of Jah.<<

Beautiful words from a beautiful person!
Give Thanks for Sight.

La Luna

Love Right, Live Right
March 23, 2004 09:43AM

-La Luna- Yes. everyone at my Negative school who comes up to me and looks at what im doing, ( Mainly typing on this site about the Festival) and trys to talk reggea w/ me ALWAYS Bring up coca and X and basicly DRUGS- The truth of it all is The people, You people who love and appreciate the music, message and of course the ire Vibes! everyone around me is so lost, me and my few friends our the only true rays of light at my school., and im always looking for recruits!
1 in 100 it seems to me.

Happy Trails
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login