Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Most popular reggae artists in Jamaica. Who are they?

Posted by wareika 
wareika
Most popular reggae artists in Jamaica. Who are they?
November 22, 2004 12:59PM
Hi

Nice to meet here most of the BAFers. Hope the "love thy neighbour" will re-open soon.

I was wondering something about the most popular Jamaican artists during certain periods. Basicly, I'm looking for artists that can symbolise Jamaican music during a given period of time. These artists are the most popular in the Ja dancehall. For exemple for the period 74/76 it could be Johnny Clarke and for early 80's it could be Yellowman.

Anyone have ideas for artist and a period?

thanx in advance

wareika
Re: Most popular reggae artists in Jamaica. Who are they?
November 22, 2004 01:32PM
Hi wareika - nice to see you here !
wareika
November 22, 2004 01:43PM
Thanx. I looked at the previous threads and it seems to be a nice place here, with all our fav subjects.

wareika
November 22, 2004 08:50PM
late 70s, Brigadier Jerry & General Echo
early 80s Yellowman
mid 80s Early B or General Trees
late 80s Ninjaman
early 90s Buju, Cobra
early & mid 90s Bounty
late 90s Bounty & Capleton
now Vybz Kartel
November 22, 2004 08:57PM
zoki, I forgot to tell you....Jah talks to me in my sleep.
Dadi Digi
November 22, 2004 09:02PM
Chimino sums it up pretty good for me
wareika
November 23, 2004 01:59PM
Thanx for the details Chimino. Especialy because your infos about the mid 80's to nowadays cover a period I don't realy know.

For the 70's I think artists like U Roy, J Clarke and J Miller were very populars in the Jamaica. The only point is that I have no clue to how determine who was really popular.

For the 60's, artists like L Aitken, D Morgan, A Ellis, Paragons and the Skatalites could be the most popular.

Actually, the point is that I'm not sure that the artists I enjoy the most were really the most popular IN jamaica. It's not really a problem so far I enjoy them, but I'm curious and I would like to determine who was really popular in Jamaica.

For exemple the Gladiators, to my knowledge, didn't really acheive to be the most popular group in Ja whereas they were big in Europe, especialy in France. It is certainly the same with Bob Marley's material relaesed on Island.

wareika
November 23, 2004 05:22PM
Tom Jones was very polular in the sixties, rod Stewart in the seventies, and Rick Astley and Chris D'Burgh in the eightees. Straight up!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login